Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies

Marillac

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #300 on: March 20, 2018, 12:38:15 AM »
Agree with Marillac's prior post. We definitely need to toughen up on the boards. I hate a weak rebounding team.
absolutely. To be bottom or damn well near bottom of the league in rebounds is ridiculous. I think it was Marillac that put up a stat that we were in the 200's in the entire NCAA. That's pathetic

Also ok we were missing Lovett but where were we as far as assists ? So much standing around this year our assist numbers had to be pathetic also I'd think

6'11 Owens, 6'5 Simon with a 7'3 wingspan, 6'7 Ahmed, 6'9 Alibegovic, and 6'7 235 Marvin Clark ranked #272 out of 351 teams for offensive rebounding and #220 for total rebounding.

6'6 (lets give him the two inches) Anthony Glover, 6'6 Eric King, 6'9 Kyle Cuffe, and 6'7 Grady Reynolds led the entire country in offensive rebounds. Kansas was #2 with 11 less and played four more games.

Let that sink in. Kyle Cuffe played 26 minutes and averaged 2.6 offensive boards with 2.9 defensive boards. Grady Reynolds played 19 minutes and averaged 2.4 offensive rebounds with 2.6 defensive. Justin Simon has more defensive rebounds than those two combined at 5.9 but only 1.2 offensive boards per game in 36 minutes. Marvin Clark had 3.5 defensive board per game and just 1.2 offensive in 31 minutes. Owens had 4.3 defensive and just 1.6 offensive in 30 minutes. Even Bash, who has it in his nature to be relentless on the glass only averaged  1.6.

This needs immediate attention. There is no reason why a kid killing down 6 defensive boards as a freaking guard can't pull down 3.5-4.0 offensive boards. There is no reason why Clark can't match Cuffe with more minutes played.
yep those were the stats you put up last week. If that doesn't blow someones mind I dont know what will. It's beyond pathetic and the coaching staff should get pay but for that

How do we rank in assists ? can you get that stat for us also ?

We're in the 200's in assists. And the odd thing about the lack of offensive rebounds is we get beat back on defense more than those Jarvis teams ever did.

« Reply #301 on: March 20, 2018, 07:43:15 AM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

Right now, we are at rock bottom.  We're even worse than the Norm years.  Sad.

This year did not go as planned. But worse than norm years no way! We had an exciting team this year. We went 0-11 to start BE play which is unbelievable. A few of those games we were thoroughly out played, a few of them we were clearly the worse team and a few of them we got some really bad breaks. We win 2 of those and we’re an nit team who’s bringing back next years BE POY. Retain ponds and this is nowhere near rock bottom IMO. 

Before the 06-07 season was even underway the program lost Doug Wiggins to Uconn, Derwin Kitchen to academics and Rob Thomas to the worst ACL injury I’ve ever read about. How would a starting 5 of the following panned out that season?

Kitchen - PG
Wiggins - SG
Thomas - SF
Calhoun - PF
Hamilton - C

With a bench of Hill, Geno, Mason, Spears and Jasuloines.

I’d expect that team to have made the NIT. Norm wasn’t just an awful coach. He was unlucky, too.
I find it telling that Mullin’s team in his 3rd season is eerily familiar to Norm’s in his 3rd season. This season started with a lot of promise. Then, after the team lost LoVett and Ponds was injured and playing through pain, it collapsed.

There was absolutely hope, but it was short lived. There needs to be more than just Shamorie. I’m willing to bet anybody that the program isn’t getting more than two more seasons out of him. That means that we need other players who can play. We can’t count on one guy to be the entire team.

Thought Doug Wiggins was a different class. Kitchen was supposed to arrive with Avery Patterson and Larry weight. Norm had some bad breaks, he was the coach at St. John’s after all, still never felt confident he could get over the hump. CM hasn’t overly impressed me on the sidelines but I’m also not 100% writing him off. This year will say a lot.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:44:10 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #302 on: March 20, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

Right now, we are at rock bottom.  We're even worse than the Norm years.  Sad.

This year did not go as planned. But worse than norm years no way! We had an exciting team this year. We went 0-11 to start BE play which is unbelievable. A few of those games we were thoroughly out played, a few of them we were clearly the worse team and a few of them we got some really bad breaks. We win 2 of those and we’re an nit team who’s bringing back next years BE POY. Retain ponds and this is nowhere near rock bottom IMO. 

Before the 06-07 season was even underway the program lost Doug Wiggins to Uconn, Derwin Kitchen to academics and Rob Thomas to the worst ACL injury I’ve ever read about. How would a starting 5 of the following panned out that season?

Kitchen - PG
Wiggins - SG
Thomas - SF
Calhoun - PF
Hamilton - C

With a bench of Hill, Geno, Mason, Spears and Jasuloines.

I’d expect that team to have made the NIT. Norm wasn’t just an awful coach. He was unlucky, too.
I find it telling that Mullin’s team in his 3rd season is eerily familiar to Norm’s in his 3rd season. This season started with a lot of promise. Then, after the team lost LoVett and Ponds was injured and playing through pain, it collapsed.

There was absolutely hope, but it was short lived. There needs to be more than just Shamorie. I’m willing to bet anybody that the program isn’t getting more than two more seasons out of him. That means that we need other players who can play. We can’t count on one guy to be the entire team.
after all this time I forgot about that year erased from my memory my 10+ years of bronx pale ales. That was the year Norm could have turned the tide. Oh man I remember the Rob Thomas injury though. That one was devastating.

And he was unlucky. Ultimately though winners either get lucky or create there own luck. You have a much better chance creating your own luck recruiting having multiple guys recruiting

BTW What did Kitchen do after SJU ? I completely forget

Kitchen went to JUCO and then to Florida State, and he was a major player I recall in a big win.

paultzman

« Reply #303 on: March 27, 2018, 10:21:10 AM »
DBP Basketball
@DBFastBreakClub
Congrats to Marcellus Earlington and Ron Harper Jr. on being named second team all-state players! Two great players getting the recognition they deserve. @realdealcellus @ron_harper32

« Reply #305 on: November 27, 2018, 10:16:44 PM »
Bump...So how many thought this kid was going to contribute this year? 

« Reply #306 on: November 27, 2018, 10:26:42 PM »
Thought he might contribute to STJU bringing back football.

« Reply #307 on: November 27, 2018, 10:32:14 PM »
Nice kid, but no one should of expected anything from him. Undersized and not talented enough for the big east. Kid should of been a preferred walk on and staff should brought in a true big on scholarship, even if another raw kid.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 10:41:19 PM by rdstr25 »

Johnny23

« Reply #308 on: November 27, 2018, 11:09:02 PM »
Earlington is clearly in way over his head. This may be a case of Mullin doing a favor to someone, not really sure.

Foad

« Reply #309 on: November 28, 2018, 09:06:51 AM »

Thanks for the timely bump junior Jimmy Olsen. Here are the most positive assessment I found of 2 star recruiting project ME going back to last January. Beyond that I can't be arsed.

"I’m not expecting much from Earlington"

"a chance to be a 4 year contributor "

"Not everyone has to be a star"

"it's possible he turns into a solid role player down the line"

"maybe he'll develop quicker than expected. "

"he may develop into a good complementary player"

"Earlington may be of help his junior season"

So to recap, no one "thought this kid was going to contribute this year." Not. one. single. person. Probably because no one had ever seen him play. Most of the arguments centered around how tall he was and whether that was tall enough to be a basketball player. So to recap: it seems that you've once again out-stupided yourself. Great Caesar's ghost!

OTOH, ME had 2 points and a rebound in 3 minutes of play last night which translates over 40 minutes carry the one to 27 points and 12 rebounds a game, which are all american numbers. So maybe we should wait another three minutes before throwing him on the garbage heap.

« Reply #310 on: December 23, 2018, 06:40:50 PM »
Just saw thus guy play a little. Unfortunately not a BiG East Player. Low Division I to Division II player

Foad

« Reply #311 on: December 23, 2018, 08:00:42 PM »
Just saw thus guy play a little. Unfortunately not a BiG East Player. Low Division I to Division II player

Thanks for the hot take garbage time guru. Any other players you've seen play for seven minutes that you want to critique?

« Reply #312 on: December 26, 2018, 01:42:39 AM »
It's no real knock on the player. He probably is a good player, just not on the Big East level. More a knock on the recruiting more than anything. There are minutes available for centers and forwards on this team so it's a bit telling that he gets very very little opportunity. I would love to see him do well but I just don't see him lasting four years. Just the way it is.

Marillac

« Reply #313 on: December 26, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
It's no real knock on the player. He probably is a good player, just not on the Big East level. More a knock on the recruiting more than anything. There are minutes available for centers and forwards on this team so it's a bit telling that he gets very very little opportunity. I would love to see him do well but I just don't see him lasting four years. Just the way it is.

Freshman big men outside the top 25 should never play unless it's to get them experience. Big men come along much more slowly than guards. A kid like Earlington was never going to be good as a freshman.  He has the ability to be a good glue guy down the line, playing 3-5.

Marillac

« Reply #314 on: March 20, 2020, 08:46:37 PM »
Another comp for you: Greedy Peterson from Providence. 6'5 240 and averaged 19.6 and 10.2 (4.5 offensive!) as a junior PF in the old Big East. He only played two seasons and was not a top 150 recruit.

Good job all thread on this one babe. Don't let them get to you about Champagnie.  You were off early sure, but you came around hard before the season started.

Marillac

« Reply #315 on: March 20, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
What?  He is a solid pickup but was considered a reach when he was signed.

If he plays a lot for Rutgers next year it's because Rutgers is in serious trouble which they usually are anyway

A really good player is not someone who may develop in a few years,  a really goid player is someone who can earn minutes on a really good team immediately as a freshman.  A great player is so one who can be a potential starter for a good or really good team immediately.

Ellington may help but he may need a few years to develop.  This team needs help now.

Harper Jr. averaged 12.1 and 5.8 on 45.2% from the field. So....wrong again.