Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies
Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2018, 12:37:01 AM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.

Why are you shrinking him two inches? He just went up against 6'10 Naz Reid and a 6'8 PF and held his own. He's being recruited to defend the four and occasionally the five, and not to bang for 40 minutes with lottery pick centers.

Maybe this kid doesn't work out, but I'll take a 6'5 245 lb kid that rebounds and does the dirty work over top 100 kids like Coker, Mo Diakate, etc.

“Held his own”??  He had 5 points against Naz Reid who had 22 and thats with foul trouble.   Ron Harper’s son had 33 and and is taller and committed to Rutgers.  I’m not getting this...  last place and we should be thrilled with a PF as tall as Dante DiVincenzo that’s not able to make an impact in HS? Norm tried to parlay that “hard work” angle even though he couldn’t coach.  If he ends up being a beast I’ll eat my words, but my feeling is our recruiting is a sinking ship.

Agree with this (and, I'll certainly be glad to eat my words).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 12:37:29 AM by mjdinkins »

Marillac

« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2018, 02:12:49 AM »
Earlington a total non-factor... this is what we are recruiting?  I’m all for heart like the movie Rudy, but a 6’3 PF who is a non factor vs Naz Reid is a bit disconcerting as we need a lot more.  Getting more and more annoyed with what we are having to deal with here.. We need real talent and we aren’t landing it.

Why are you shrinking him two inches? He just went up against 6'10 Naz Reid and a 6'8 PF and held his own. He's being recruited to defend the four and occasionally the five, and not to bang for 40 minutes with lottery pick centers.

Maybe this kid doesn't work out, but I'll take a 6'5 245 lb kid that rebounds and does the dirty work over top 100 kids like Coker, Mo Diakate, etc.

“Held his own”??  He had 5 points against Naz Reid who had 22 and thats with foul trouble.   Ron Harper’s son had 33 and and is taller and committed to Rutgers.  I’m not getting this...  last place and we should be thrilled with a PF as tall as Dante DiVincenzo that’s not able to make an impact in HS? Norm tried to parlay that “hard work” angle even though he couldn’t coach.  If he ends up being a beast I’ll eat my words, but my feeling is our recruiting is a sinking ship.

Is this bizarro world? The way this usually works is you exaggerate how good a player is and then I explain why he's not that good. We've been doing this for like 20 years man. Why the negativity now?

They lost by 7 to the #13 team in the country who had a McDonald'a All-American center and a 3* 6'8 215 PF. His stats were limited to foul trouble as well. SF was the only position they had an advantage with Harper Jr. If you think we signed a kid that could outplay that duo, that is just unreasonable.

Every team needs glue guys...guys to do the dirty work. Give me a 6'5 workhorse who accepts those duties over a top 50 6'10 kid that wants to be a SG/SF any day of the week. I have no idea if he's that kind of a player, but I won't dismiss him over his height before he ever suits up.

Marillac

« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2018, 02:15:44 AM »
And Ron Harper's kid is really good and has a chance to be very special for Rutgers. He's expected to fill a big role for them. Marcellus is being brought in as a lunch pale player for us. Williams is being brought in for bigger things.

« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2018, 06:33:05 AM »
If he went for 10 + 10 we’d all be really excited. It’s one game against the best team in the state.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2018, 08:08:02 AM »
If he went for 10 + 10 we’d all be really excited. It’s one game against the best team in the state.

Agreed. I’m not expecting much from Earlington but to base his future off of one game isn’t realistic.

As an example, Ponds had 2 pts on 0-12 shooting against Butler. Kids often have off nights.

« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2018, 10:04:37 AM »

Mo as in Maurice Harkless?

TONYD3

« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:24 AM »
Mohamed Diakite played maybe 15 years ago. He wasn’t very good. He was a cool guy though. Had drinks with him a few times before games.
He kind of knew he sucked. Made a joke out of it.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:14:29 AM by TONYD3 »

Marillac

« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2018, 10:11:44 AM »

Mohammed Diakate. He was a top 60 recruit for Jarvis and played a year for Norm. He did nothing while 6'4 Anthony Glover led us to three top ten rebounding teams as a center.

« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2018, 10:21:30 AM »
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

Right now, we are at rock bottom.  We're even worse than the Norm years.  Sad.

« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2018, 10:24:23 AM »

Mohammed Diakate. He was a top 60 recruit for Jarvis and played a year for Norm. He did nothing while 6'4 Anthony Glover led us to three top ten rebounding teams as a center.
My mistake thought you were missing a comma and meant Mo and boubacar diakite.  Did a quick Google Search for Mo diakate before posting and all I saw was a bunch of videos for a zumba instructor.  That's probably indicative of the little amount of success he had in red and white.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:24:49 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

Johnny23

« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2018, 10:26:26 AM »
Earlington is the kind of player we always recruited to do the dirty work for the first round draft picks we had virtually every year.  I think he'll be a fine player...although I admit I never saw him play.

I don't understand the mantra that Mullin/Richmond and company are fun to play for.  Why are so many players leaving?  That's what's pushing me off the Mullin bandwagon.  Kentucky/Duke etc have one and done's leaving for the NBA.  We have players leaving for the "Morby Techs" of the world.  Forget the mediocre at best recruiting.  We can't even keep the three star players we have.  Until Mullin figures out a way to stop the bleeding, we'll be writing how Earlington jumped ship to play at Ramapo College because he wanted to be "closer to home".

Ramapo made it to the Final 4 this year...in D3. It is a pretty sad state of affairs, no doubt.

« Reply #271 on: March 19, 2018, 10:40:14 AM »

This year did not go as planned. But worse than norm years no way! We had an exciting team this year. We went 0-11 to start BE play which is unbelievable. A few of those games we were thoroughly out played, a few of them we were clearly the worse team and a few of them we got some really bad breaks. We win 2 of those and we’re an nit team who’s bringing back next years BE POY. Retain ponds and this is nowhere near rock bottom IMO. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:41:57 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #272 on: March 19, 2018, 10:41:12 AM »

We are not worse than the Norm years. There was no hope with that guy. He could have never landed a kid like Ponds. Ever. He could have never landed a transfer like Simon.

TONYD3

« Reply #273 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:50 AM »
Norm landed Dwight hardy and brownlee. Norms sophomores became juniors. Norm also made the NIT. Norm was the worst coach in school history .

« Reply #274 on: March 19, 2018, 11:51:51 AM »

We are not worse than the Norm years. There was no hope with that guy. He could have never landed a kid like Ponds. Ever. He could have never landed a transfer like Simon.
What makes it worse than the Norm years is there WAS hope with Mullin...No hope with Norm.  Another bubble has burst.

« Reply #275 on: March 19, 2018, 12:27:10 PM »
And Ron Harper's kid is really good and has a chance to be very special for Rutgers. He's expected to fill a big role for them. Marcellus is being brought in as a lunch pale player for us. Williams is being brought in for bigger things.

What?  He is a solid pickup but was considered a reach when he was signed.

If he plays a lot for Rutgers next year it's because Rutgers is in serious trouble which they usually are anyway

A really good player is not someone who may develop in a few years,  a really goid player is someone who can earn minutes on a really good team immediately as a freshman.  A great player is so one who can be a potential starter for a good or really good team immediately.

Ellington may help but he may need a few years to develop.  This team needs help now.

« Reply #276 on: March 19, 2018, 12:31:17 PM »

Come on really.  Look I'll give you Ponds but after that it is mediocre.

And quite frankly the fact that Mullin is going into year 4 basically in a must win situation after whiffing on all major recruits is enough to at least say he is in the same neighborhood.

« Reply #277 on: March 19, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
Fordham is dead on with Harper.  As a matter of fact, it could end up he is red shirted, but based on what I have seen and heard, he is someone they believe can develop over 2 years and be a solid big ten player.

On the other hand, Earlington is NOT a big east player nor is he projected to be one.  He is too small to be a pF, (Not 6'5) and not skilled enough to be a guard.  Staff wanted to take a chance, on him fine, but right now its hard for me to see how he can contribute other than in practice.  Lets just hope that if he is a replacement for AA, he is for practice reasons and not game reasons.

« Reply #278 on: March 19, 2018, 12:39:19 PM »
I have heard that Ron Harper Jr. is a much better player than some of you guys are giving him credit for.

TONYD3

« Reply #279 on: March 19, 2018, 12:53:45 PM »
I have heard that Ron Harper Jr. is a much better player than some of you guys are giving him credit for.
According to rivals. 3 star. Nebraska and a bunch of cupcakes offered.