Rest of Season

• 9 replies

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
Rest of Season
« on: February 20, 2018, 12:41:05 PM »
Marquette beating Creighton really threw a wrench in this but I think we could still pull this out.

Marquette: L to SJU, L to DePaul, W over Georgetown, L to Creighton

Georgetown: L to Xavier, L to Providence, L to Marquette, L to Villanova

St. John's: W over Marquette, W over Butler, W over Seton Hall, L to Providence

This would put us at 7th. Here's how I think it will most likely play out however (while also being eternally optimistic)

Marquette: L to SJU, W over DePaul, L to Georgetown, L to Creighton

Georgetown: L to Xavier, L to Providence, W over Marquette, L to Villanova

St. John's: Win out.

If it plays out this way, March 3rd would be insane as we'd be in a 3-way tie between us, Marquette, and Georgetown with G'Town in 7th, us in 8th, and Marq in 9th. Also, if Seton Hall loses to Providence, us and Villanova, we'd be a game behind them on March 3rd. If they lost to Butler, they'd be 7-11 in the Conference and 18-13 overall. St. John's would be 7-11 and 18-13 overall meaning we'd be tied with them for 6th place. We would be tied head to head so they would move to who has the best record against the top seeded team. If it plays out this way, and Villanova is at the top, we get the 6th seed as we are 1-1 against Nova and SHU would be 0-2. If it's Xavier, the next tie breaker is who has the better road record. Seton Hall would be 2-7 while St. John's would be 4-5 meaning we'd get the 6 seed.

I know...I know...but a kid can dream right? It's certainly in the realm of possibility since Georgetown has no "easy" (there are no real easy wins in BE) games on their schedule and Marquette only has DePaul. We have some tough games left but a lot of underlying reasons to give an A++ effort. Beating Marquette gives us an automatic tiebreaker over a team. Beating Seton Hall is a vengeance game and it's at the Garden WITH Shamorie this time and on a red hot streak. Beating Butler is Shamorie's Kill Bill game. Beating Providence is also some vengeance on the smackdown they laid on us at Carnesecca. We took a few L's this week with Brooks and Lovett so hopefully those are the only L's we'll be posting any time soon.

Re: Rest of Season
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 02:02:37 PM »
A 6 seed would be awesome! Realistically I am hoping for a 7 seed and avoiding Nova......Or an 8 seed and avoiding Nova.....That turnaround from 8/9 game to Noon on Thursday is brutal (especially if its Nova again we all remember what happened last year). Hope we can keep the momentum going with a big win tomorrow night against Marquette.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 02:39:05 PM »
A 6 seed would be awesome! Realistically I am hoping for a 7 seed and avoiding Nova......Or an 8 seed and avoiding Nova.....That turnaround from 8/9 game to Noon on Thursday is brutal (especially if its Nova again we all remember what happened last year). Hope we can keep the momentum going with a big win tomorrow night against Marquette.

Absolutely. My goal is just do what you can to get to the 7 seed. 6 seed would be awesome as it gives our guys one less day of playing and makes it a touch easier to win the whole thing. But just set our sights on taking one possession at a time and try to win each half. Just try to win out. Beyond that it's up to other teams helping us out.

Just got to focus on this Marquette game. I believe it's going to set the tone for the last three games. We gotta go out and get a clear win (especially if Howard is out). We need a nice confidence boosting beat down so we can get some real swagger.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:55:32 PM »

Absolutely. My goal is just do what you can to get to the 7 seed. 6 seed would be awesome as it gives our guys one less day of playing and makes it a touch easier to win the whole thing. But just set our sights on taking one possession at a time and try to win each half. Just try to win out. Beyond that it's up to other teams helping us out.

Just got to focus on this Marquette game. I believe it's going to set the tone for the last three games. We gotta go out and get a clear win (especially if Howard is out). We need a nice confidence boosting beat down so we can get some real swagger.

Agreed. I think tomorrow night's game is the most important game left on the schedule. If we win we will then have two winnable home games in a row against SH, and Butler. The Providence game will also be tough but if we're riding a 7 game winning streak into that game all bets are off. Just gotta win tomorrow and I think we'll be in good shape.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 02:56:04 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 03:54:22 PM »

Agreed. I think tomorrow night's game is the most important game left on the schedule. If we win we will then have two winnable home games in a row against SH, and Butler. The Providence game will also be tough but if we're riding a 7 game winning streak into that game all bets are off. Just gotta win tomorrow and I think we'll be in good shape.

Tomorrow's game and the Providence game (on the road) are the one's that concern me.  Frankly, I think we're gonna beat Seton Hall on Saturday and Butler next week. 

I don't see Georgetown losing out (ugh!).  I hate to say it, but I see the Hoyas going no worst than 2-2.  I hope they prove me wrong. 

I also really don't want any part of 8/9 game.  I'm just finding it rather tough for us to avoid anything other than that particular game.  It's just so disadvantageous to the winner of that game to play at 'noon the following day.  It'll probably be Villanova, and I'd rather avoid 'Nova in such an  unfavorable spot.  I'd rather play 'em being a bit more rested.

Hopefully, we can continue to do our part and things trend our way with other's losing, and we find our way in the 7th spot.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:55:36 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 04:24:44 PM »
 :I think Georgetown goes 1-3 to end the year and that would mean we would have to win out for chance at 7 seed! That double OT loss is really going to come back to hurt us!.....to make matters worst i was front and center at that game talking ALOT to gtown fans up 5.   :buck2:

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
We should tank to avoid Nova
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »
We should tank to avoid Nova

great insight there....just trying to stir up trouble

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 06:27:22 PM »
just don't want to see Nova is all
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:25 AM »
Tanking? You talkin' about tanking?

A team that opened conference play by dropping 11 straight doesn't have to tank.  We've already proven quite clearly that we can lose to anybody.