David Caraher - SF - Houston Baptist Transfer - ST. JOHN'S

• 63 replies

MCNPA

Re: David Caraher - SF - Houston Baptist Transfer - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2018, 11:22:12 AM »
A friend who is a Providence fan

You gave it away when you pretended you had a friend.

This coming from a guy who is universally hated on an online college basketball board lol.

If I'm so unpopular how come I keep winning Miss Congeniality stupid? Don't bother answering, that's rhetorical.

So anyway "thetruth," here's where Caraher scored against Providence.

18:40
17:06
8:31
5:43
3:21
-----
18:21
16:11
6:40

Doesn't look like he "accumulated most of his stats during garbage time." In fact, it doesn't look like he accumulated any stats during garbage time. I guess that makes you a liar, huh.
Foady- Mikey dixion played against seton hall and Gonzaga. Guess how he did?

Oh cmon... he only played 8 minutes against Gonzaga, probably because injury or something and never looked back after that game.  Those two games were in his first four games of the season as a freshman...  in addition, I know this thread isn’t about Dixon, but I think people are sleeping on this kid.  If Ponds comes back, I think he and Dixon can be extremely hard to stop in the backcourt as scorers, coupled with G-Will, etc.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 11:31:49 AM by MCNPA »

Poison

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2018, 01:06:43 PM »

This coming from a guy who is universally hated on an online college basketball board lol.

If I'm so unpopular how come I keep winning Miss Congeniality stupid? Don't bother answering, that's rhetorical.

-----

Doesn't look like he "accumulated most of his stats during garbage time." In fact, it doesn't look like he accumulated any stats during garbage time. I guess that makes you a liar, huh.

In the first place, this thread isn't about Mikey Dixion. Try and follow along. If you use your finger to keep your place that might help.

In the second place, if you're talking about this Mikey Dixion, the one who was Delaware State Player of the Year as a senior, who led his HS a state championship , who was a first team all state player as a junior, who was the MAAC rookie of the year and the 12th highest scoring freshman in Division 1, I don't know how he did against Seton Hall two years ago in the fourth game of his college career. Why don't you tell me. And then tell me why it matters.

In the third place, how come when I cite statistics you dismiss them by saying the sample size is too small, and yet here you are positing that two games out of 30 some kid played in two years ago are dispositive of his talent and prospects. Seems a bit disingenuous.

Now go eat a nice bran muffin and sit yourself down in some stinky train station toilet and write me a nice essay in response. As usual, spelling counts.

4 paragraphs later, Foad finally makes a reasonable point. It’s way too small of a sample to judge a freshman on. Most freshman will struggle against top competition. Even many of our best freshman have over the years. It’s time to see some examples of the staff’s ability to evaluate talent and then develop it. After watching Caraher for a full season I’m cautiously optimistic that the staff has seen enough potential in him that they know he can play in the BE.

Hopefully he doesn’t change his mind before that happens.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:07:19 PM by Poison »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2018, 01:35:27 PM »

-----

It makes my friend a liar I guess. I actually have a life so I didn't go look up the minute by minute stats, but I guess when you're a no life serial killer like yourself you get plenty of time for stuff like that. Either way I agree with you that citing stats from one game of a player's freshman year is not a good way to evaluate a player which was my main point all along. If Amar Allebegovic had transferred how idiotic would it be for the team getting him's fans to say he may be good because he had 15 pts and 9 rebounds against Syracuse?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 01:39:27 PM by thetruth8734 »

« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2018, 01:41:03 PM »

Not true. Only the people he makes fun of dislike him. Now admittedly that is a fairly large list but certainly not the whole universe. But honestly his wraith is usually well directed. Count me as a fan. 

Foad

« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2018, 01:52:47 PM »
I actually have a life so I didn't go look up the minute by minute stats, but I guess when you're a no life serial killer like yourself you get plenty of time for stuff like that.

Maybe if you took a moment to look things up you wouldn't be so wrong so often about so much.

ras

« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2018, 02:07:48 PM »
That's why I like transfers after their freshman year. Add a redshirt year and when they are eligible, they are ready to contribute and have 3 years of eligibility left.

« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2018, 02:14:33 PM »
Not just at St. John's, but some of these freshman transfers will
end up becoming grad transfers like Owens.

Hopefully not Simon next year.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2018, 02:17:04 PM »
I actually have a life so I didn't go look up the minute by minute stats, but I guess when you're a no life serial killer like yourself you get plenty of time for stuff like that.

Maybe if you took a moment to look things up you wouldn't be so wrong so often about so much.

I'm not though. My point is still valid. Who cares how many points he had vs. certain teams. His team stunk, and the sample size is too small. He looks like he has some potential,  but I'll reserve judgment until he suits up for whatever coach is coaching the team in 2019.

« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2018, 02:28:14 PM »

I'm not though. My point is still valid. Who cares how many points he had vs. certain teams. His team stunk, and the sample size is too small. He looks like he has some potential,  but I'll reserve judgment until he suits up for whatever coach is coaching the team in 2019.

Will either be Chris Mullin or someone else you will grow to dislike in short order.

Foad

« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2018, 03:03:11 PM »

I'm not though. My point is still valid. Who cares how many points he had vs. certain teams.

If you don't care about how he did versus certain teams why did you lie about how he did versus Providence.

TONYD3

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »

-----

In the first place, this thread isn't about Mikey Dixion. Try and follow along. If you use your finger to keep your place that might help.

In the second place, if you're talking about this Mikey Dixion, the one who was Delaware State Player of the Year as a senior, who led his HS a state championship , who was a first team all state player as a junior, who was the MAAC rookie of the year and the 12th highest scoring freshman in Division 1, I don't know how he did against Seton Hall two years ago in the fourth game of his college career. Why don't you tell me. And then tell me why it matters.

In the third place, how come when I cite statistics you dismiss them by saying the sample size is too small, and yet here you are positing that two games out of 30 some kid played in two years ago are dispositive of his talent and prospects. Seems a bit disingenuous.

Now go eat a nice bran muffin and sit yourself down in some stinky train station toilet and write me a nice essay in response. As usual, spelling counts.

4 paragraphs later, Foad finally makes a reasonable point. It’s way too small of a sample to judge a freshman on. Most freshman will struggle against top competition. Even many of our best freshman have over the years. It’s time to see some examples of the staff’s ability to evaluate talent and then develop it. After watching Caraher for a full season I’m cautiously optimistic that the staff has seen enough potential in him that they know he can play in the BE.

Hopefully he doesn’t change his mind before that happens.
Agree. Hope dixion is good. Hope Caraher is good also. These are ok recuits. We need some difference makers though. Just messing with foady.

« Reply #51 on: April 16, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »

Will either be Chris Mullin or someone else you will grow to dislike in short order.
Probably wouldn't dislike next coach if he wins and recruits well. Current regime does neither.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2018, 01:09:22 AM »

I'm not though. My point is still valid. Who cares how many points he had vs. certain teams.

If you don't care about how he did versus certain teams why did you lie about how he did versus Providence.

I know you're not very smart so let me try to explain my whole point for you. I'll try to keep it simple. Saying he had this many points vs a certain team is meaningless. I used the Providence example to try to show that, admittedly I was wrong. I was misinformed. Either way saying how he did vs. PC, good or bad, will not show how he will do vs high major competition. We'll have to wait and see. I hope you're not locked up for all your serial killings by 2019 so we can both see how he does together and discuss. Hopefully he will be a good player for us.

Foad

« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2018, 08:12:07 AM »
I know you're not very smart so let me try to explain my whole point for you. I'll try to keep it simple

Thanks Tesla, I'll try and keep up.

Saying he had this many points vs a certain team is meaningless. I used the Providence example to try to show that, admittedly I was wrong.

Let me see if I'm following. In order to demonstrate that how many points Caraher had versus a certain team is meaningless, you discussed in excruciating detail how many points Caraher got versus Providence and how and where and when he got them. And to buttress your argument about the meaninglessness of how he did against a Providence you made up an imaginary friend with whom you allegedly discussed at some length how he did versus Providence, and everything you and your imaginary friend allegedly discussed about how he did versus Providence, which is meaningless, was a completely made up lie.

I detect a flaw in your argument. Because if you're trying to demonstrate that something is meaningless, the most important thing to do is to avoid assigning meaning to it. Like, if I said that Caraher scored 19 points against Providence because of the weather, and you said no the game was indoors so there's no way the weather had any effect on how he did, there'd be no need for you to make up an imaginary friend with whom you texted back and forth about the relatively humidity and the wind chill factor on game day. Because those things would be meaningless and by discussing them at all you're giving them meaning. Geddit dummy? If how Caraher did against PU is meaningless in terms of his prospects at SJU then how he got those points is immaterial. So besides being a completely false and made up lie, how Caraher did versus Providence - whether good or bad - is completely irrelevant to the argument you're attempting.

So to recap: you made up an irrelevant lie that tacitly admitted the truth of your opponents argument. You really completely out-stupided yourself. Kudos.

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2018, 09:57:36 AM »

Probably wouldn't dislike next coach if he wins and recruits well. Current regime does neither.

Louie stopped coaching in 92.
So you have disliked ST JOHN'S coaches for 26 years? I think it is time to root for someone else.

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2018, 10:37:20 PM »

Louie stopped coaching in 92.
So you have disliked ST JOHN'S coaches for 26 years? I think it is time to root for someone else.
Nah unfortunately I don't have two degrees from any other universities so I'm stuck rooting for this team.  I'm not very hard to please though.  Thought the last guy was pretty successful. 20 win seasons,  4 star recruits, occasional tournament appearances and top 25 rankings is all I ask.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 10:45:28 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2018, 12:29:51 AM »
Guys, Amar had 18 points vs #1 ranked Nova in 2016! If he were eligible a plethora of high major teams would totally be after him!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:30:08 AM by Aknel79 »

« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2018, 07:23:28 AM »
Welcome to St. John’s

« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Eligible this year possible,  looks like that new rule should be pushed thru

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Eligible this year possible,  looks like that new rule should be pushed thru

Boner time.
Fire Mullin.