Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies

QuanMan

Steve DeMeo
« on: May 09, 2019, 07:45:50 PM »
Between Macon, Esposito and DeMeo, 3 tenured NYers:

http://www.nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Steve_DeMeo?view=bio

Among his wealth of experiences, Coach DeMeo has served as head coach at Bronx Community College (1990-1993), Monroe Junior College (1993-1995), assistant coach at Iona College (1995-1998), assistant and associate head coach at Providence College (1998-2008), assistant coach at University of Central Florida (2008-2009), head coach at Newberry College (2009-2010), and associate head coach at Hofstra University (2010-2013). While at Providence College, all 25 of his student-athletes that reached their senior year graduated with their degree.

Coach DeMeo is a native of Bayside Queens, New York and earned a bachelor’s degree in business from State University of New York at Buffalo.

6th Season at Northwest Florida State College (166-26, .865 winning percentage)

12th Season as a collegiate head coach (261-96, .731 winning percentage)

DeMeo's Career Honors

2019 FCSAA/NJCAA Region VIII Coach of the Year

2019 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year

2018 "Basketball Times" #1 Hottest Junior College Coach

2018 FCSAA/NJCAA Region VIII Coach of the Year

2018 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year

2017 Red Auerbach Coach of the Year

2017 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year
Section 3
Section 116

Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:38:07 PM »
Is he rumored to be on staff?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 01:26:57 PM »
His name has been out there for last week or so, guess you don’t look at redmen lol
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 01:28:15 PM by erickthered »

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 11:32:07 AM »
Between Macon, Esposito and DeMeo, 3 tenured NYers:

http://www.nwfraiders.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Steve_DeMeo?view=bio

Among his wealth of experiences, Coach DeMeo has served as head coach at Bronx Community College (1990-1993), Monroe Junior College (1993-1995), assistant coach at Iona College (1995-1998), assistant and associate head coach at Providence College (1998-2008), assistant coach at University of Central Florida (2008-2009), head coach at Newberry College (2009-2010), and associate head coach at Hofstra University (2010-2013). While at Providence College, all 25 of his student-athletes that reached their senior year graduated with their degree.

Coach DeMeo is a native of Bayside Queens, New York and earned a bachelor’s degree in business from State University of New York at Buffalo.

6th Season at Northwest Florida State College (166-26, .865 winning percentage)

12th Season as a collegiate head coach (261-96, .731 winning percentage)

DeMeo's Career Honors

2019 FCSAA/NJCAA Region VIII Coach of the Year

2019 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year

2018 "Basketball Times" #1 Hottest Junior College Coach

2018 FCSAA/NJCAA Region VIII Coach of the Year

2018 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year

2017 Red Auerbach Coach of the Year

2017 Panhandle Conference Coach of the Year
I don't check the other board. Is Demeo being talked about instead of Esposito or would we take them both with one being Dobo?

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
I don't check the other board. Is Demeo being talked about instead of Esposito or would we take them both with one being Dobo?

From what I can tell, Esposito would be more likely candidate for position other than assistant coach. He is currently the “assistant to the head coach” at UNLV.  If we got both these guys and called it a day I would be ecstatic with the staff.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 01:08:31 PM »
From what I can tell, Esposito would be more likely candidate for position other than assistant coach. He is currently the “assistant to the head coach” at UNLV.  If we got both these guys and called it a day I would be ecstatic with the staff.
Agreed.  If we landed both I would be absolutely thrilled.  I don't know as much about Demeo but I really want Esposito.

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
This makes Glenn Braica, Chris Casey, and Q look like a home run staff. I'm guessing the budget for assistants must be terribly low.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 01:41:19 PM »

Other way around.

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 01:44:27 PM »
This makes Glenn Braica, Chris Casey, and Q look like a home run staff. I'm guessing the budget for assistants must be terribly low.
Seems like all of the talking heads on sju twitter have been absolutely thrilled with the additions of Macon and Cleveland.  What's your beef with the staff so far?

goredmen

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2019, 01:58:09 PM »

Geez man, what did Mike Anderson do to you, seriously? You've bashed pretty much everything he's done from the start after being very against his hire in the first place. It's obvious there's some motive behind all of this with you so what is it?

Poison

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:32 PM »

How are these assistants a home run? What success did they have while working as assistants at St.John’s.

If we’re comparing resumes, this new staff is significantly stronger. What am I missing here?

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 02:06:58 PM »
Geez man, what did Mike Anderson do to you, seriously? You've bashed pretty much everything he's done from the start after being very against his hire in the first place. It's obvious there's some motive behind all of this with you so what is it?
Maybe it's just Dave summoning his inner George Costanza where he does and says the opposite of the logical thing to do or think in the hopes the end result will be a positive one.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »

Motive? Lol
Isn’t it more likely that someone just doesn’t like a hire?

goredmen

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2019, 02:14:56 PM »
Motive? Lol
Isn’t it more likely that someone just doesn’t like a hire?

It's more than just this one hire or the staff in general. Dave has been uncharacteristically extremely critical of everything that's happened since Anderson got hired, including the hiring of Anderson itself. He's been critical of the two commits this staff has gotten as well the hiring of the staff, when everybody else seems to think Cleveland + Macon are a solid couple of pieces at worst.

I don't remember him being even close to this openly critical about anything SJU basketball in the past.

Johnny23

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
It's more than just this one hire or the staff in general. Dave has been uncharacteristically extremely critical of everything that's happened since Anderson got hired, including the hiring of Anderson itself. He's been critical of the two commits this staff has gotten as well the hiring of the staff, when everybody else seems to think Cleveland + Macon are a solid couple of pieces at worst.

I don't remember him being even close to this openly critical about anything SJU basketball in the past.

It seems a little more than the norm, sure, but haters gonna hate. I just love having a solid presence leading the ship at SJU. Anderson and staff have been transparent, deliberate and clearly have a plan. None of these words could be used to describe the past regime(s).

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:02 PM »

Agreed seems weird. I’d have to check, we’re any of norms guy Associate head coaches at previous stops? Demeo’s resume is unreal.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2019, 02:47:46 PM »
Other way around.

What makes you say that

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 02:50:26 PM »

I don’t recall you questioning any motives for the years of Mullin hate.

What has Anderson done so far that would win over someone that didn’t like his hire?

He signed a two and a three star recruit. He promoted his nephew to a position higher than he’s held at his prior three schools and he’s added an underwhelming staff.

I happen to like the two kids Anderson signed as depth pieces but depth pieces don’t mean sh*t if you can’t get the stars.

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 03:08:57 PM »
I don’t recall you questioning any motives for the years of Mullin hate.

What has Anderson done so far that would win over someone that didn’t like his hire?

He signed a two and a three star recruit. He promoted his nephew to a position higher than he’s held at his prior three schools and he’s added an underwhelming staff.

I happen to like the two kids Anderson signed as depth pieces but depth pieces don’t mean sh*t if you can’t get the stars.

He hired his nephew as a video coordinator and he’s worked his way up for 17 years.

Your view on the staff seems very self fulfilled proficyishh.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 03:18:51 PM »
Glen braica wan an assistant at st Francis before sju.

Chris Casey was an assistant at central Connecticut, st Francis, St. Peter’s, and western Connecticut.

Chuck Martin was an assistant at Drexel, umass, and Manhattan.

Fred Q however was an assistant at North Carolina under Matt Doherty.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 03:24:15 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »