Steve DeMeo

• 360 replies

goredmen

Re: Steve DeMeo
« Reply #60 on: May 13, 2019, 10:07:05 PM »
I'd take Yakwe's, Dixon's, and Freudenberg's but I'd play them.

Yakwe was playing about 25 mins per game as a Freshman once he was eligible. He was playing 25 mins per game early in his Sophomore season. Those numbers started to go down as it became clear he wasn't very good.

Freudenberg was brought here to be a shooter. In his limited time he shot 20% from 3 and 38% from 2. He was awful. Maybe he would have progressed, but maybe he wouldn't have.

Dixon was playing about 20 mins per game until a couple game before he announced his transfer.

So you'd rather have these highly touted guys that essentially contributed nothing over their time here over a "tough as shit" PG and a PF that has a little bit of an edge to his game, just because scouting services don't rate them highly?

Marillac

« Reply #61 on: May 13, 2019, 10:11:50 PM »

As far the bullsh*t that is the culture of St. John's...give me a break. What culture? Who has developed any sense of culture in Queens, that's a crock.

The culture at St. John’s is toxic. How could anyone disagree with that? Fraschilla said there are elements of coaching at St. John’s he wouldn’t wish on anyone. Everyone thinks they are a big shot.

Johnny23

« Reply #62 on: May 13, 2019, 10:21:07 PM »
The coaching hires at SJU since Fran have just gotten progressively worse, toxic culture or not.

That said, other schools with toxic cultures have had quick turnarounds due to better coaching. It's not unusual and I could easily see Anderson doing that here.

wpc77

« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2019, 10:40:05 PM »
I'm not sure what motive I have. I have nothing to gain or lose by expressing my thoughts.

I want St. John's to be great just as any other fan would. I'm very skeptical at Mike Anderson's ability to navigate the Big East and culture at St. John's.

Van Macon is a good hire but hard to full evaluate until entire staff is filled.

I've known Coach DeMeo for a long time and he'd be over the moon to coach here and I'm sure he'd be at the pulse of some good juco players which coach Anderson seems to have a history with. Why hasn't any metro area school offered him a spot on staff? There have been plenty of openings over the years.

To me the whole vibe of everything feels very low mid-major. This is evident by the first 2 recruits signed. I feel like it's the path to be Virginia Tech under Seth Greenberg. Just good enough but never really good enough. Just see this process happening again in 3-4 years.

Again I hope I'm wrong. I'm rooting for success

Not to be a broken record, but what coach is doing is to establish a platform where he can get back to the big 12 or sec. More likely than not, he builds this coming season, then NCAA next 2 years if this goes according to plan, then bails for more money.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 10:43:15 PM by wpc77 »

« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2019, 10:49:00 PM »
He’s outta loop hence the bitterness

SJUFAN

« Reply #65 on: May 14, 2019, 12:03:50 AM »
However toxic administration may be, it’s not going to change the way CMA develops relationships in the community. It’s not going to change the way he runs his practices. It’s not going to change the way he prepares his teams to win basketball games. His track record suggests he’s the best coach we’ve had since LC. All that peripheral stuff is overblown when you have a person in charge that knows how to coach.

Poison

« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2019, 12:04:15 AM »
Not to be a broken record, but what coach is doing is to establish a platform where he can get back to the big 12 or sec. More likely than not, he builds this coming season, then NCAA next 2 years if this goes according to plan, then bails for more money.

I’ll take that over shitting the bed for four years.

SJUFAN

« Reply #67 on: May 14, 2019, 12:06:57 AM »
If these first 2 recruits don't transfer after a year we are in trouble.

Cause championships are won based on the 11-12th man on the depth chart.

« Reply #68 on: May 14, 2019, 02:37:30 AM »
I just love having a solid presence leading the ship at SJU.
What does that even mean?  If I'm reading it correctly we'll know we have a "solid presence" if and when he dances.

Anderson and staff have been transparent, deliberate and clearly have a plan. 
Nothing has happened yet. Everybody has a plan before the ball starts bouncing.

« Reply #69 on: May 14, 2019, 02:58:55 AM »
Look on the bright side.

Plenty of legroom and a good shot at getting nachos and a pretzel and making it back to your seat in time for the start of the second half at Alumni. Plus cheap as all heck stubhub tix in Manhattan and Queens. A drop in attendance is virtually guaranteed.

Johnny23

« Reply #70 on: May 14, 2019, 07:39:39 AM »
What does that even mean?  If I'm reading it correctly we'll know we have a "solid presence" if and when he dances.Nothing has happened yet. Everybody has a plan before the ball starts bouncing.

Then you're obviously misreading it. Anderson's plan has worked for him for almost two decades as a HC. He knows how to take lesser programs like UAB and turn them into teams who dance. Everyone's plan is not created equal. You are dead wrong. The last SJU coach had a shitty plan. It took him 4 seasons just to be the last team invited into the dance one time and it showed with a fastidious exit. With a huge step backwards next season staring him in the face he took the money and ran because he knew he was in way over his head. That is not a plan. That's called a hail mary.

It's already evident here with how deliberately Anderson's moving to add players, target recruits and coaches. Everything about how he operates displays veteran leadership unlike your self-admitted mancrush Mullin who was the antithesis. We'll see how it pans out but it's refreshing to see after the last 4 years of crap.

wpc77

« Reply #71 on: May 14, 2019, 09:03:47 AM »
I’ll take that over shitting the bed for four years.

I agree.  But the AD and the president, Oliva and anyone else who wants to stick their beak in better get in the same page so that a real and coordinated succession plan is in place
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 09:04:00 AM by wpc77 »

« Reply #72 on: May 14, 2019, 09:10:17 AM »
DeMeo coaches a Florida JUCO in the middle of nowhere. It’s not a good job. I doubt Esposito would have even considered that job. DOBO is a step up from his current gig. DOBO is several steps down from Esposito’s. It’s like asking a consultant to be a secretary.

Does five straight conference titles and a national championship at the juco level not impress you? You’re the juco guy so I’d like to hear your thoughts.

He also recruited well to Providence at a time where they were in a much more difficult conference and you’ll never be able to convince me is an easier place to get players than sju is. Pass me DeMeo!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

cjfish

« Reply #73 on: May 14, 2019, 10:03:45 AM »
Yeah, no. History says his coaching career will die here, just like all his predecessors careers died here. And if he's successful here he'll be the first coach to succeed at SJU since Louie and if he does and if past is prologue he'll be fired.

SJU...Graveyard of coaches.  Yet I think CMA has the background and skill to succeed.  But I am an eternal optimist Re SJU basketball.  I think the just recruited point guard will start....his handle and passing skills look good and who else on the roster can fill this need.  Williams maybe but I doubt it.  If he fits in and Fig doesn't transfer I see a NCAA torney team.  We will be very susceptible to pressure if this kid doesn't play major minutes. 

Marillac

« Reply #74 on: May 14, 2019, 10:35:03 AM »
Does five straight conference titles and a national championship at the juco level not impress you? You’re the juco guy so I’d like to hear your thoughts.

He also recruited well to Providence at a time where they were in a much more difficult conference and you’ll never be able to convince me is an easier place to get players than sju is. Pass me DeMeo!

I have a JUCO national championship as an assistant. He’s way overqualified and the JUCO ranks have never been thinner. Coaching JUCO doesn’t impress me at all. There are some awful coaches who get paid nothing. A guy like him should dominate. No good coaches stick around. They either go to high school, move on to four year schools, or leave coaching.

« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2019, 10:43:24 AM »
The culture at St. John’s is toxic. How could anyone disagree with that? Fraschilla said there are elements of coaching at St. John’s he wouldn’t wish on anyone. Everyone thinks they are a big shot.

100% agreed, my comment was more geared at the notion that SJU had some sort of positive, historic culture it needed to uphold. That's the type of culture I took from Dave's post that it seemed like he was referring to.

Poison

« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:17 AM »
I agree.  But the AD and the president, Oliva and anyone else who wants to stick their beak in better get in the same page so that a real and coordinated succession plan is in place

St.John’s doesn’t know what a succession plan is. Mike Anderson may indeed look to get back to an SEC school in 4 or 5 years. Maybe sooner. It would be tremendous if we are so successful that CMA can turn that portion of his resume into a higher paying job.

If that’s the case, then it means we’ve enjoyed some good basketball. Ideally, after November for a change.

More importantly, hopefully the experience of hiring and working with CMA will have shown this administration, what qualities they need to look for in his replacement.

« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
100% agreed, my comment was more geared at the notion that SJU had some sort of positive, historic culture it needed to uphold. That's the type of culture I took from Dave's post that it seemed like he was referring to.

You would be wrong. Marillac would be right.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2019, 12:12:04 PM »
Then you're obviously misreading it. Anderson's plan has worked for him for almost two decades as a HC. He knows how to take lesser programs like UAB and turn them into teams who dance. Everyone's plan is not created equal. You are dead wrong. The last SJU coach had a shitty plan. It took him 4 seasons just to be the last team invited into the dance one time and it showed with a fastidious exit. With a huge step backwards next season staring him in the face he took the money and ran because he knew he was in way over his head. That is not a plan. That's called a hail mary.

It's already evident here with how deliberately Anderson's moving to add players, target recruits and coaches. Everything about how he operates displays veteran leadership unlike your self-admitted mancrush Mullin who was the antithesis. We'll see how it pans out but it's refreshing to see after the last 4 years of crap.
What performance goals do you feel Anderson should meet here as evidence he is doing a good job?

« Reply #79 on: May 14, 2019, 12:16:53 PM »
Mullin's "plan" was to improve the worst team ever in St. John's history that he inherited through no fault of his own and to improve it's record every season he coached it. Culminating in the uncommon coup de gras/holy grail on Union and Utopia. An Ncaa tournament bid!