Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S

• 129 replies
Re: Julian Champagnie - SF - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2019, 10:06:43 AM »

1. Do his job? Specifically? Who did he want that he didn’t get? Cluess? Hurley? 

2. Sure he’s older. But do you come from the school of thought that to succeed here you need to be from the NE? Isn’t that a bit antiquated?

3. I don’t expect the same deal as other schools but you can’t argue the Nike brand means more to kids than UA. 

4. What do you think we can afford?  A totally new campus arena? Where’s that money coming from? If it hasn’t happened by now don’t think it’ll ever happen.

5. Winning fills the garden.

1. I think it was clear with all the flip flopping and interference the decisions were not his.

2. I don't think the coach has to be from the NE. Lavin worked. There is a huge culture shock from someone in the deep south their entire life to come to NYC. Not saying it can't work but probability isn't strong.

3. What would they prefer to buy at the mall maybe but for their college choice, no. There are numerous examples I could cite that would support that.

4. Carnesecca is like a used car that you need to keep taking to the mechanic. Is it wise to keep pouring money into it to fix or should you just come up with a plan and timeline to buy a new car?

5. Yes it would. 
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2019, 10:15:56 AM »
1. I think it was clear with all the flip flopping and interference the decisions were not his.

2. I don't think the coach has to be from the NE. Lavin worked. There is a huge culture shock from someone in the deep south their entire life to come to NYC. Not saying it can't work but probability isn't strong.

3. What would they prefer to buy at the mall maybe but for their college choice, no. There are numerous examples I could cite that would support that.

4. Carnesecca is like a used car that you need to keep taking to the mechanic. Is it wise to keep pouring money into it to fix or should you just come up with a plan and timeline to buy a new car?

5. Yes it would. 

Couldn’t agree more with #4
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2019, 12:05:43 PM »

Are you saying the Nike deal isn’t better than UA? Do you know the terms? Even though we had a tier 1 deal with UA Cragg wasn’t happy with it and thought we could get more. I’m assuming he did or why make the change.

« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2019, 12:13:07 PM »
Are you saying the Nike deal isn’t better than UA? Do you know the terms? Even though we had a tier 1 deal with UA Cragg wasn’t happy with it and thought we could get more. I’m assuming he did or why make the change.

I am very curious- how does the branding work when we do deals with Nike or UA? Do the schools that pay more money to Nike get better Nike jerseys and same with UA? I have seen jerseys from other schools like Oregon etc that are the same company, but just better and not a plain design. How is that controlled?

I am kind of glad we went back to Nike with its tradition, but I am hoping we can move off from the plainness a bit.

« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2019, 12:29:50 PM »
I am very curious- how does the branding work when we do deals with Nike or UA? Do the schools that pay more money to Nike get better Nike jerseys and same with UA? I have seen jerseys from other schools like Oregon etc that are the same company, but just better and not a plain design. How is that controlled?

I am kind of glad we went back to Nike with its tradition, but I am hoping we can move off from the plainness a bit.

Oregon athletics were built on the soles of Nike
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #85 on: June 04, 2019, 01:22:52 PM »

UA wanted out of St. John's deal. Felt they weren't getting enough out of it and basically chose to keep Seton Hall over us.

So I can't imagine Nike offering up much. Cragg might have a better relationship with rep which might lead to better servicing in terms of getting footwear or one off items for teams/athletes.

« Reply #86 on: June 04, 2019, 01:30:18 PM »

It really depends on the school. A major conference school is getting cash + product while a smaller school it purchasing product at a wholesale price.

IMO the model is really dated and outside of maybe a dozen schools brands do not see an ROI on these deals.

Duke, UNC, Texas, Notre Dame, UCLA, Louisville, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas AM, Kansas, Maryland/Oregon are the big tickets and everything after that is significantly less. Even big schools like Clemson or South Carolina are significant drains on marketing dollars.

« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »
That's interesting to me.  Not understanding the economics of it, obviously, I live in Jersey, am connected to the sports/athletics scene, and can tell you that literally no one cares about Seton Hall.  I know more fans of St. John's, Nova, Cuse, Duke, Notre Dame and even Rutgers.

UA wanted out of St. John's deal. Felt they weren't getting enough out of it and basically chose to keep Seton Hall over us.

So I can't imagine Nike offering up much. Cragg might have a better relationship with rep which might lead to better servicing in terms of getting footwear or one off items for teams/athletes.

« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »
It really depends on the school. A major conference school is getting cash + product while a smaller school it purchasing product at a wholesale price.

IMO the model is really dated and outside of maybe a dozen schools brands do not see an ROI on these deals.

Duke, UNC, Texas, Notre Dame, UCLA, Louisville, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Miami, Oklahoma, Auburn, Texas AM, Kansas, Maryland/Oregon are the big tickets and everything after that is significantly less. Even big schools like Clemson or South Carolina are significant drains on marketing dollars.

Makes sense but I just do not get- how we cannot at least get an alternate jersey like Oregon with like an angry johnny thunderbird above the numbers instead of a duck or a lightning bolt? It would look pretty cool. How is that much more to make? I get maybe we cannot glow in the dark  one like Oregon, but just at least a better sense of style- I feel like a lot of people would want a cool jersey like that too.

« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2019, 03:05:35 PM »
That's interesting to me.  Not understanding the economics of it, obviously, I live in Jersey, am connected to the sports/athletics scene, and can tell you that literally no one cares about Seton Hall.  I know more fans of St. John's, Nova, Cuse, Duke, Notre Dame and even Rutgers.

They've made the NCAA Tournament the last 4 years straight. The bar isn't high but that was a huge factor.

« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2019, 03:08:22 PM »
Makes sense but I just do not get- how we cannot at least get an alternate jersey like Oregon with like an angry johnny thunderbird above the numbers instead of a duck or a lightning bolt? It would look pretty cool. How is that much more to make? I get maybe we cannot glow in the dark  one like Oregon, but just at least a better sense of style- I feel like a lot of people would want a cool jersey like that too.

Not exactly sure what you're asking. Over the years St. John's has had plenty of alternate jersey and modifications from color scheme to logos.

In terms of priorities I'd say making something custom for St. John's when they're mediocre is probably low.

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
I get that, but without having any metrics, the buzz and interest we got alone last year for having a 20+ win season under Mullin far eclipsed any interest the Hall has from the general public in their program. 

They've made the NCAA Tournament the last 4 years straight. The bar isn't high but that was a huge factor.

« Reply #92 on: June 06, 2019, 10:25:10 AM »
I get that, but without having any metrics, the buzz and interest we got alone last year for having a 20+ win season under Mullin far eclipsed any interest the Hall has from the general public in their program. 

Apparently not.

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2019, 02:51:03 PM »
Apparently not.
You didn’t dump me. I dumped you first.

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2019, 02:57:33 PM »
You didn’t dump me. I dumped you first.

Kind of but I think both ultimately wanted out.

I think the level of attention to St. John's diminished over the years. There were shakeups in the reps and don't think the service was what St. John's wanted. Also UA is looking to trim fat and cut budgets and schools like St. John's are on the chopping block. If St. John's had a monster run in March I think UA would have said lets re-up.

On the flip side I think St. John's is somewhat delusional thinking they're a powerhouse program. I think the relationship from Coach K to Duke to Cragg to Nike is a comfort level that they feel they can leverage for better support and I don't think they're wrong.

goredmen

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2019, 07:32:35 PM »
On the flip side I think St. John's is somewhat delusional thinking they're a powerhouse program.

And what would you call people concerned about Anderson not landing top talent for the upcoming season this late in the game after only being on the job 2 months?

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #96 on: December 18, 2019, 02:26:13 AM »
He is the lesser of the two brothers. I thought he was gonna wind up at A-10 level but thought if he went lower he'd be real impact. So definitely feel it's a reach for us.

Riiiiiiiiiiiight...... #freezingcoldtakes

Poison

« Reply #97 on: December 18, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
Riiiiiiiiiiiight...... #freezingcoldtakes

Unlike some people here, Dave owns up to being wrong about a recruit. He always has. He was wrong this time, and I’m pretty sure he’s glad he was.

The reminder here for all of us is that you can’t write the book for any 18 year old.

« Reply #98 on: December 18, 2019, 09:51:04 PM »
I have repeatedly said how pleasantly shocked I've been at how well Champagnie has played and contributed. He's really played within himself and bought into his role which is expanding as a result.

While he's exceeded my expectations early on I'm still concerned with speed of game and physicality in Big East play. Ultimately every team we played is at or below where I thought he should have been playing with exceptions of Arizona St and WVU.

He had mixed results in those games which is more than expected early in freshman year.

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2020, 12:02:21 PM »
Tony, not sure what you're inferring. I don't think the school should have let go of Mullin. I've said that plenty. The issue was there needed to be major staff changes.

As for being one of the best available Champagnie was probably one of them. I would do whatever I could to convince Nah'shon Hyland to reclassify to 2019 and let him know he's my PG of the future, I'd look into Derryck Thorton to have a platoon option, and I'd put out a contact to Tevin Mack an excellent perimeter shooter with size.

Just wanted to bump this here. Our PG and shooting woes could have solved in early spring. While we showed mild interest in Thornton we didn't inquire about Hyland or Mack.

Hyland is breaking out for VCU just dropped 16 on Dayton then 21 in big win over St. Bonny.

Mack has been really good for Clemson all year. Was instrumental in their wins over UNC & Duke.

Derryck Thornton hasn't set the world on fire but leading scorer on bad Boston College team.