Mike Anderson to Tulsa

• 118 replies

Marillac

Re: Mike Anderson to Tulsa
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
ls that all you can say about queens?

I love Queens, but nobody outside of NY would ever want to live there.

Poison

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2019, 09:25:55 PM »
You need to check a map. Jacksonville is very northern Florida. I live in south Florida. 

Who gives a shit?

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2019, 09:55:53 PM »
Who gives a shit?

Apparently you give a lot of shits. Why so cranky? I guess 40 degrees will do that. 80 and perfect here today.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
Frank Haith is the actual worst and they can't wait to be rid of them there.

Frank Haith has a career coaching record of 307-196. He was 76-28 at Missouri. He had a winning % of .731 and a conference winning % of .630 at Missouri. For comparison, Anderson had a winning % of .661 and was just over .500 in conference at Missouri.

Haith is 7-1 this year, has won over 60% of games bother overall and in conference, and just signed an extension in March. If they couldn’t wait for him to be gone, they wouldn’t have extended him or they would have let him go.

I have no opinion of Haith as a coach, but I find your claim of him being “the actual worst” plainly false and would assume you were being hyperbolic if you didn’t criticize me of doing that so often.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 12:51:09 AM by Marillac »

goredmen

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2019, 12:35:58 AM »
Frank Haith has a career coaching record of 307-196. He was 76-28 at Missouri. He had a winning % of .731 and a conference winning % of .630 at Missouri. For comparison, Anderson had a winning % of .661 and was just over .500 in conference at Missouri.

Haith is 7-1 this year, has won over 60% of games bother overall and in conference, and just signed an extension in March. If they couldn’t wait for him to be gone, they wouldn’t have extended him or they would have let him go.

If have no opinion of Haith as a coach, but I find your claim of him being “the actual worst” plainly false and would assume you were being hyperbolic if you didn’t criticize me of doing that so often.

Frank Haith made the tournament once in 7 years at Miami. He then voluntarily left Miami for Missouri before Miami could fire him. I think Miami has achieved a lot more success since he's left than when he was there but maybe you can fact check that for me.

Haith inherited a LOADED roster at Missouri, left by some guy named Mike Anderson. Haith led them to a 2 seed that season but was ultimately defeated by the powerhouse that is Norfolk State. They declined to a 9 seed the following the year and another first round exit, then the NIT in year 3. Haith then again voluntarily left Missouri for Tulsa which would be characterized as a clear step down by any and all objective observers.

Since arriving at Tulsa he only made the NCAA Tournament a grand total of one time, advancing no further than the play in round with a team of seniors recruited by the previous staff. In his 4 seasons since Tulsa has not even sniffed the NCAA Tournament and has not been a top 100 team in any of those seasons. Their best win so far this season is against Vanderbilt who might be the worst power conference team in the country this year. They have losses to UT Arlington and Arkansas State.

Frank Haith is good at staying one step ahead of the posse and splitting town before he can get fired, even if that means accepting a job that is a clear downgrade from his current position. He then finds himself with good rosters put together by the previous coach, puts up a decent record but ultimately underachieves. When it's time for him to coach with his players, he accomplishes zero.

Frank Haith's name was briefly mentioned by a reporter as potentially having an interview lined up with St. John's for their coaching opening in April. I don't think there was anything to that, but had St. John's hired Frank Haith I would have been 100% convinced that Mike Cragg was brought in here by Bobby G with the sole intention of killing the basketball program.

There is nobody that thinks Frank Haith is a good coach.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2019, 12:54:44 AM »
Frank Haith made the tournament once in 7 years at Miami. He then voluntarily left Miami for Missouri before Miami could fire him. I think Miami has achieved a lot more success since he's left than when he was there but maybe you can fact check that for me.

Haith inherited a LOADED roster at Missouri, left by some guy named Mike Anderson. Haith led them to a 2 seed that season but was ultimately defeated by the powerhouse that is Norfolk State. They declined to a 9 seed the following the year and another first round exit, then the NIT in year 3. Haith then again voluntarily left Missouri for Tulsa which would be characterized as a clear step down by any and all objective observers.

Since arriving at Tulsa he only made the NCAA Tournament a grand total of one time, advancing no further than the play in round with a team of seniors recruited by the previous staff. In his 4 seasons since Tulsa has not even sniffed the NCAA Tournament and has not been a top 100 team in any of those seasons. Their best win so far this season is against Vanderbilt who might be the worst power conference team in the country this year. They have losses to UT Arlington and Arkansas State.

Frank Haith is good at staying one step ahead of the posse and splitting town before he can get fired, even if that means accepting a job that is a clear downgrade from his current position. He then finds himself with good rosters put together by the previous coach, puts up a decent record but ultimately underachieves. When it's time for him to coach with his players, he accomplishes zero.

Frank Haith's name was briefly mentioned by a reporter as potentially having an interview lined up with St. John's for their coaching opening in April. I don't think there was anything to that, but had St. John's hired Frank Haith I would have been 100% convinced that Mike Cragg was brought in here by Bobby G with the sole intention of killing the basketball program.

There is nobody that thinks Frank Haith is a good coach.

Do you believe he is the “actual worst” or were you being hyperbolic? It’s hard to tell around here these days because Tony D just wrote that Mullin’s tenure was the last four years in the program’s history.

I don’t think any truly awful coach could make multiple NCAA tournaments.

goredmen

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2019, 01:02:25 AM »
Do you believe he is the “actual worst” or were you being hyperbolic? It’s hard to tell around here these days because Tony D just wrote that Mullin’s tenure was the last four years in the program’s history.

Like I said, if SJU hired him I would have thought Cragg was nothing more than a hitman hired to kill the program.

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2019, 01:18:07 AM »
Florida and NY are both shitholes so pride yourselves on that

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2019, 07:27:30 AM »

I have no opinion of Haith as a coach, but I find your claim of him being “the actual worst” plainly false and would assume you were being hyperbolic if you didn’t criticize me of doing that so often.

And a guy who can’t recruit built that Missouri team for him!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2019, 08:16:04 AM »

Anderson must be truly awful with 9 HC appearances and over 25 appearances overall counting assistant coach.

TONYD3

« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
No one would have compared the St. John’s job with the Tulsa job 7 years ago. Back then we had a good team with highly rated players. We were winning games and attendance wasn’t an issue.

No one would compare the Tulsa job to the seton hall job now because Willard has done a great job. 7/8 years ago, seton hall wasn’t good. Their attendance and record sucked. Back then someone could make an argument that Tulsa was a better job then seton hall. That won’t be the case as long as Williard is there. 
I hope Anderson is here for a long time. When he leaves, St. John’s will not be in anyway compared to Tulsa

cjfish

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2019, 10:55:35 AM »
Apparently you give a lot of shits. Why so cranky? I guess 40 degrees will do that. 80 and perfect here today.

Tired of hearing about Florida. If you live in a gated community that’s great but every time you pass the gates you are welcomed by awful suburban sprawl and poor infrastructure. A short distance to the beach can take forever due to traffic and lights etc. And the state is unlivable for 4 months when everyone retreats indoors. I winter on the beach in NC where the temps are temperate and the crowds are sparse. NC is full of halfbacks, people who retired to Florida but moved halfway back because they found Florida to be a shithole

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2019, 03:44:47 PM »
Anderson must be truly awful with 9 HC appearances and over 25 appearances overall counting assistant coach.

Straw man argument. I’ve complimented Anderson as a coach multiple times and wrote that I think he is better than our last two coaches and exponentially better than the one before them. I’m sorry I don’t jiggle his nuts like you do.

He has some obvious shortcomings as a coach and he was just “shit canned” as Tony D would say.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2019, 03:52:05 PM »
No one would have compared the St. John’s job with the Tulsa job 7 years ago. Back then we had a good team with highly rated players. We were winning games and attendance wasn’t an issue.

No one would compare the Tulsa job to the seton hall job now because Willard has done a great job. 7/8 years ago, seton hall wasn’t good. Their attendance and record sucked. Back then someone could make an argument that Tulsa was a better job then seton hall. That won’t be the case as long as Williard is there. 
I hope Anderson is here for a long time. When he leaves, St. John’s will not be in anyway compared to Tulsa

7 years ago Tulsa was dancing with Danny Manning as their coach. We were coming off of the worst 10-year stretch any Big East team had ever endured and we were facing the inevitable destruction of the Big East due to football with the realization that one day the football schools would break away from the rest of the NCAA entirely.

Lavin was already being sh*t on at St. John’s. He should have been extended.

TONYD3

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2019, 04:12:02 PM »
7 years ago Tulsa was dancing with Danny Manning as their coach. We were coming off of the worst 10-year stretch any Big East team had ever endured and we were facing the inevitable destruction of the Big East due to football with the realization that one day the football schools would break away from the rest of the NCAA entirely.

Lavin was already being sh*t on at St. John’s. He should have been extended.
You realize today you are having a conversation with the few who liked Lavin. All the Lavin haters left the board except foady.
The end of the big east was sad. But it probably saved St. John’s basketball. Our new conference is much fairer. We have a good coach. The only issue is selling tickets. It’s not going to be easy.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2019, 04:31:55 PM »
foady.

I hear you went out to Fire Island
And took a shit on the train
You found it difficult wiping yourself
Now your bathing suit has a stain
Well you're in third period study hall
and then the teachers lounge
and then down to the locker room
make sure they're washing
make sure they wash their bums

you're so dumb
i bet you think this post is about you
you're so dumb
you prolly think this post is about you
don't you
don't you
don't you

Marillac

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2019, 07:33:09 PM »
And a guy who can’t recruit built that Missouri team for him!

I have softened my stance on his recruiting. I give him major props for landing Champagnie and moving him to PF. If you can’t tell, I love that kid as a player.

I didn’t like the JUCO big man he signed for next year, but I can see how he would fit now.

The guys he’s recruited have been used well and they have been useful.

I’d like to see some big recruits though. All I want is a reasonable chance to be hopeful of winning a tournament game. Ponds single- handedly gave me that. That’s all I ask as a St. John’s fan. The Mets selling to Cohen have opened up some room for struggles of my other teams.

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2019, 07:38:38 PM »
You realize today you are having a conversation with the few who liked Lavin. All the Lavin haters left the board except foady.
The end of the big east was sad. But it probably saved St. John’s basketball. Our new conference is much fairer. We have a good coach. The only issue is selling tickets. It’s not going to be easy.

We both liked Lavin but you act like a child towards Mullin because of it.

He was a flawed and inexperienced coach and his hire was a disgusting and disastrous interference by The Gump, but he did okay here. He wasn’t awful. He wasn’t good. Why can’t you just accept that. You got a 73 on an English Regents exam...that’s basically where Mullin was as a coach.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2019, 09:52:25 PM »
We both liked Lavin but you act like a child towards Mullin because of it.

He was a flawed and inexperienced coach and his hire was a disgusting and disastrous interference by The Gump, but he did okay here. He wasn’t awful. He wasn’t good. Why can’t you just accept that. You got a 73 on an English Regents exam...that’s basically where Mullin was as a coach.

As any good parent, Coach, mentor, would say: If only you applied yourself and tried harder you could have done better. If a 73 was the best you could do, than gosh darn it, I would be happy...You have to really ask yourself, did you try as hard you you could?

Now take your millions of dollars, gold medals,  your hall of fame college college and pro career, and go to California and think about how you can approve on things.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2019, 10:15:55 PM »
I have softened my stance on his recruiting. I give him major props for landing Champagnie and moving him to PF. If you can’t tell, I love that kid as a player.

I didn’t like the JUCO big man he signed for next year, but I can see how he would fit now.

The guys he’s recruited have been used well and they have been useful.

I’d like to see some big recruits though. All I want is a reasonable chance to be hopeful of winning a tournament game. Ponds single- handedly gave me that. That’s all I ask as a St. John’s fan. The Mets selling to Cohen have opened up some room for struggles of my other teams.

Champaigne is the man. Have you watched Wusu?

I don’t think Posh can be that guy to singlehandedly lead us like Ponds had the potential to do. But he seems well fit to be a huge help to who ever that guy may be. Hopefully next year it’s Figgy.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.