Mike Anderson to Tulsa

• 118 replies

Marillac

Re: Mike Anderson to Tulsa
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2019, 11:17:20 PM »

Tired of hearing about Florida. If you live in a gated community that’s great but every time you pass the gates you are welcomed by awful suburban sprawl and poor infrastructure. A short distance to the beach can take forever due to traffic and lights etc. And the state is unlivable for 4 months when everyone retreats indoors. I winter on the beach in NC where the temps are temperate and the crowds are sparse. NC is full of halfbacks, people who retired to Florida but moved halfway back because they found Florida to be a shithole

The only reason Florida is ever brought up is because Poison has a fascination with mentioning it and has done so in more than 100 responses to me. As if it’s some kind of a knock.

I have no idea what you are talking about with traffic. It’s only ever a concern on 95 during certain hours and it’s still ten times better than NY/NJ and not even comparable to DC or LA.

NC is great. NY is great. Florida is great. I can find the good anywhere. Poison is the one that tries to knock down entire states while being a fan of Haiti and Arkansas of all places.

I try to spend as much of the summer in NY as I can but to say the summer in Florida is unlivable is crazy. Maybe for fat people or those who don’t like to go to the beach or the pool.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2019, 12:06:07 AM »
The only reason Florida is ever brought up is because Poison has a fascination with mentioning it and has done so in more than 100 responses to me. As if it’s some kind of a knock.

I have no idea what you are talking about with traffic. It’s only ever a concern on 95 during certain hours and it’s still ten times better than NY/NJ and not even comparable to DC or LA.

NC is great. NY is great. Florida is great. I can find the good anywhere. Poison is the one that tries to knock down entire states while being a fan of Haiti and Arkansas of all places.

I try to spend as much of the summer in NY as I can but to say the summer in Florida is unlivable is crazy. Maybe for fat people or those who don’t like to go to the beach or the pool.

Now we understand. You’re an elderly man.

SJUFAN

« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2019, 02:24:42 AM »
he did okay here. He wasn’t awful. He wasn’t good. Why can’t you just accept that. You got a 73 on an English Regents exam...that’s basically where Mullin was as a coach.

Exactly what metric are you using that supports your position that Mullin “did ok here, he wasn’t awful”?

Don’t bother looking because it doesn’t exist. The fact that you equate his performance to that of a C average shows how detached from reality the Mullin supporters really are.

Mullin had one winning season, and one post season tournament. He never had a winning conference record. His conference record of 20-52 is a winning percentage of .278. Even Norms winning percentage (in the old BE) was .314.

He was awful, by any reasonable standard.

SJUFAN

« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2019, 02:38:22 AM »
Champaigne is the man. Have you watched Wusu?

I don’t think Posh can be that guy to singlehandedly lead us like Ponds had the potential to do. But he seems well fit to be a huge help to who ever that guy may be. Hopefully next year it’s Figgy.

I’m very bullish on next year and think there is a good chance LJ returns.

SJUFAN

« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2019, 02:50:03 AM »
I’d like to see some big recruits though. All I want is a reasonable chance to be hopeful of winning a tournament game.

When you consider the players CMA is bringing in. McGriff, Posh, Wasu, Dunn, and Cole. We haven’t had guard depth like that in years. Through the continued development of Champagnie, Roberts and Steere and we now have a solid nucleus. 2021 and beyond he will need to land a couple of top tier recruits to put us over the top and I believe he will do that.

Poison

« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2019, 08:03:26 AM »
When you consider the players CMA is bringing in. McGriff, Posh, Wasu, Dunn, and Cole. We haven’t had guard depth like that in years. Through the continued development of Champagnie, Roberts and Steere and we now have a solid nucleus. 2021 and beyond he will need to land a couple of top tier recruits to put us over the top and I believe he will do that.

Mullin’s strategy for recruiting made certain that we didn’t have depth anywhere. It’s refreshing that CMA doesn’t rely on this transfer garbage. Clearly it hurt us more than it helped us.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 09:58:50 AM by Poison »

TONYD3

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2019, 09:36:38 AM »
We both liked Lavin but you act like a child towards Mullin because of it.

He was a flawed and inexperienced coach and his hire was a disgusting and disastrous interference by The Gump, but he did okay here. He wasn’t awful. He wasn’t good. Why can’t you just accept that. You got a 73 on an English Regents exam...that’s basically where Mullin was as a coach.

I read this non sense last night and I have been thinking about freshman year earth science all morning. Thanks for that. I remembered a bunch of funny things.
Yes in 1993 I got 76 on my earth science regents. That would be a a C plus. Like Chris mullin I surrounded myself with poor people. We had science class after lunch and my lab partner was wasted drunk everyday by that time. (The school didn’t realize this until March of that year)
Like mullin I didn’t always take my job seriously, like mullin I didn’t do homework. But I was only 13 years old. I had little interest in sedimentary rocks. But I passed the class. 76 is nothing to be proud of but nothing to be embarrassed at either. By the end of the school year my new lab partner was a senior. She was the captain of the cheerleading team. She failed earth science as a freshman and was taking the class over. She was hot. My grade did go up.
If you give coach Mullins a C plus. What would a failing grade look like? He was terrible at every aspect of his job.

« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2019, 11:22:32 AM »
He inherited the worst team in the history of the program - being hired very late in the year
(don't know for a fact but think later than CFC was). In 4 short years, he ended up matching the best performance of any St. John's season beginning this century. An opening Ncaa tournament loss.

I give him a "B" and recognize the upwards trajectory he was on.

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2019, 11:24:38 AM »
He inherited the worst team in the history of the program - being hired very late in the year
(don't know for a fact but think later than CFC was). In 4 short years, he ended up matching the best performance of any St. John's season beginning this century. An opening Ncaa tournament loss.

Believe you’re wrong. Mullin happened later in the same week Lavin was let go.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »

How much worse would he have to be to earn a “C”?

« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2019, 12:37:07 PM »
I think Anderson is a great coach for this job right now.   It's not at all a desirable job and I think it's Anderson's job to make it more desirable by the time he leaves.  He isn't going to final 4s but he can offer some consistent respectability, which is what the program desperately needs.   Look at Providence and Seton Hall in the new Big East.   Imagine St John's just getting to that level of consistency.  Willard and Cooley are spoken about so highly just for making tournaments.  Neither of them has won shit in the big national sense but they've raised the profile of their programs significantly compared to recent predecessors.  That's all we need Anderson to do and it seems like a task he can accomplish.  Make this job mean something so that good coaches will take a look when it opens up again.  Baby steps.   

« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:29 PM »
I think Anderson is a great coach for this job right now.   It's not at all a desirable job and I think it's Anderson's job to make it more desirable by the time he leaves.  He isn't going to final 4s but he can offer some consistent respectability, which is what the program desperately needs.   Look at Providence and Seton Hall in the new Big East.   Imagine St John's just getting to that level of consistency.  Willard and Cooley are spoken about so highly just for making tournaments.  Neither of them has won shit in the big national sense but they've raised the profile of their programs significantly compared to recent predecessors.  That's all we need Anderson to do and it seems like a task he can accomplish.  Make this job mean something so that good coaches will take a look when it opens up again.  Baby steps.   

Great post
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

SJUFAN

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2019, 01:32:22 PM »

The voice of reason.

TONYD3

« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »
Before mullin we were even with providence and ahead of seton hall.

SJUFAN

« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2019, 01:51:44 PM »

There is no way that was going to be the team had Lavin been retained. So that team he “inherited” his first year was the team he put together but I’ll cut him some slack year one. What’s the excuse for year 3? That was probably the worst coaching job I have ever seen.

desco80

« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2019, 05:18:18 PM »
Ahh what have I missed lately?    Let me get caught up ...

Harrison, Greene, Jordan, Branch was pretty good guard depth imo.  Epecially because at one point the foursome had experience.

Mullin was a C- as coach.   Reasonable people could disagree and grade him anywhere from a C to a D in my opinion.

No idea how you guys have such strong opinions on Frank Haith.   That's like having a strong opinion on cardboard or a shopping bag.  It exists, it kindve works sometimes, other times not so much.

And I generally agree with Postelfan on Anderson.   This was a shit job, and he's not a shit coach.  So there's a chance something good could come of it.   But unbelievably, the tv idiot and our greatest player ever, combined to leave the program in worst shape than even Norm.  That is a serious accomplishment. 

I got 100 on the Earth Science regents, and Fun's daughter was the hot cheerleader my freshman year.   Just sayin
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 05:20:01 PM by desco80 »

Marillac

« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2019, 11:04:59 PM »

Reasonable. He’s a terrific hire. We can’t expect a better coach after him so I hope he’s here for a decade +. Hes not without flaws, though.

It looks like he will be able to utilize less sought after players to do good things, but imagine how much better we’d be with top 50-100 talent that matches what he wants.

Marillac

« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2019, 11:31:36 PM »
There is no way that was going to be the team had Lavin been retained. So that team he “inherited” his first year was the team he put together but I’ll cut him some slack year one. What’s the excuse for year 3? That was probably the worst coaching job I have ever seen.

Why can’t both be true? I agree Lavin would have kept those balls in the air some way. Every college basketball and college football roster is a cesspool that people who haven’t played or coached college can’t even begin to understand. When you fire a coach you risk exposing that dirty laundry.

The lack of supervision and perceived consequences in the transition can only be handled by huge and competent athletic departments.

Brandon Sampson was a top 50-60 recruit. Samir Doughty is better than anyone on our roster now and is averaging 18.5 ppg for 8-0 Auburn (leading scorer by a huge margin) after playing 25 mpg and starting 27 games for a Final Four team last year.

I don’t understand you, Tony D and others feel the need to draw some line in the sand about Mullin because you liked Lavin. So did I.

TONYD3

« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2019, 07:44:16 AM »
Reasonable. He’s a terrific hire. We can’t expect a better coach after him so I hope he’s here for a decade +. Hes not without flaws, though.

It looks like he will be able to utilize less sought after players to do good things, but imagine how much better we’d be with top 50-100 talent that matches what he wants.
Why can’t we get another good coach? I don’t think Anderson leaves for a better job. But eventually he will leave. We just have to make another good hire. That’s what Xavier and butler do.

TONYD3

« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2019, 07:47:37 AM »
Why can’t both be true? I agree Lavin would have kept those balls in the air some way. Every college basketball and college football roster is a cesspool that people who haven’t played or coached college can’t even begin to understand. When you fire a coach you risk exposing that dirty laundry.

The lack of supervision and perceived consequences in the transition can only be handled by huge and competent athletic departments.

Brandon Sampson was a top 50-60 recruit. Samir Doughty is better than anyone on our roster now and is averaging 18.5 ppg for 8-0 Auburn (leading scorer by a huge margin) after playing 25 mpg and starting 27 games for a Final Four team last year.

I don’t understand you, Tony D and others feel the need to draw some line in the sand about Mullin because you liked Lavin. So did I.
I liked Lavin. If I gave him a grade it would be C plus. Norm couldn’t win at queens college. Mullin wouldn’t have either.