Mike Anderson to Tulsa

• 118 replies

desco80

Re: Mike Anderson to Tulsa
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
I count three "I liked Lavin" posts.    Can the moderators please lock this thread?

Lavin created the cesspool that Mullin inherited.   Lavin brought Jordan in, Lavin brought Obekpa in, Lavin brought in the Delarosa boxing Bros.   You guys forget the daily chaos that was the Lavin reign.   Literally game to game you didn't know who would be eligible or benched. 
Plus there was the fact that he didn't know shit about basketball.  Never a good look for a "coach".   

TONYD3

« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2019, 10:13:45 AM »
I count three "I liked Lavin" posts.    Can the moderators please lock this thread?

Lavin created the cesspool that Mullin inherited.   Lavin brought Jordan in, Lavin brought Obekpa in, Lavin brought in the Delarosa boxing Bros.   You guys forget the daily chaos that was the Lavin reign.   Literally game to game you didn't know who would be eligible or benched. 
Plus there was the fact that he didn't know shit about basketball.  Never a good look for a "coach".   
Their were no message boards back in the 80’s. I am sure mullin and Walter Berry always went to class. Alter boys in their free time. No drinking, no fights. Gentleman at all times.
When I think of Steve Lavin. I remember wining games. I remember Dwight hardy and Deangelo Harrison. Sad that you think of the delerosa brothers who played 12 minutes in total.

Poison

« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »

Some of what happened was 100% on Lavin. Some of it wasn’t.

But seriously, GTFOH if you’re blaming Obekpa’s failed drug test on Lavin. That guy was the best shot blocker we’ve ever had.

desco80

« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2019, 11:52:40 AM »
If you guys don't realize that some of Lavins recruits were headcases that other teams didn't want to touch (like Obekpa) and also brought baggage with them - then I don't know what to tell you.

If it wasn't weed with Obekpa it would've been something else.  Dude was a selfish player a refused to go back into the NIT? Game at Carnesseca.   I forget the opponent.   

Everybody takes risks on recruits.   Lavin took too many and it blew up in his face time and again.   

I will give him credit for working with Dlo though.   For whatever reason Harrison gives Lav a lot of credit.   So there must be an actual relationship there.   

I'm not going to re hash the rest of his tenure.  We're moving on.  Myself included.
I even gave him credit in this post.

« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2019, 11:54:14 AM »

We don't care about any of that.  2 for 5 on Ncaa tournaments.  A c*nt hair away from 4 for 5.

Poison

« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2019, 12:25:35 PM »
If you guys don't realize that some of Lavins recruits were headcases that other teams didn't want to touch (like Obekpa) and also brought baggage with them - then I don't know what to tell you.

If it wasn't weed with Obekpa it would've been something else.  Dude was a selfish player a refused to go back into the NIT? Game at Carnesseca.   I forget the opponent.   

Everybody takes risks on recruits.   Lavin took too many and it blew up in his face time and again.   

I will give him credit for working with Dlo though.   For whatever reason Harrison gives Lav a lot of credit.   So there must be an actual relationship there.   

I'm not going to re hash the rest of his tenure.  We're moving on.  Myself included.
I even gave him credit in this post.

Yes, he absolutely took risks.
People talk about what Mullin was left with. Do you remember how many players Lavin had to replace after his first season?

Lindsay, who quit the team after bricking two free throws against Texas A&M, was a poor choice. Norvelle Pelle, who never played a minute of college basketball, was not a very sound choice.

That said, despite waiting a semester for some relief in the form of Amir Garrett, and losing  Sampson for the year, Lavin still have St.John’s an all time great recruiting class. So great, that it’s star member left for the NBA after one season. That was a killer that couldn’t be overcome, but Lavin did continue to add talented players. He really had a way with people.

Imo, he’s similar to Matt. If Matt was the head coach, and he had Mike Dunlap to run practice, it would work.

SJUFAN

« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2019, 02:37:12 PM »
Why can’t both be true?

We don’t say Anderson inherited a mess because he had Heron and LJ. It was said that Heron wasn’t going to return, I don’t really believe that but I can’t dismiss it either. LJ put his name in the transfer portal. This team would look a whole lot different without those two but one can argue that it’s because of Anderson that they are still here. Mullins team his first year was the team he put together and he needs to own it to some extent.

It’s basically about his coaching success and posters are saying his first year isn’t his fault I say look at year three and it shows you he wasn’t much better with a much better roster. So you can’t just blame the roster (which in part is on a Mullin) for his year one record.

Marillac

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2019, 01:35:47 AM »

Lock the thread? Relax Stalin. If you don’t think every basketball player smokes pot you are astonishingly naive. An NCAA drug test is not a test for drugs...it’s an IQ test. Only an idiot could fail.

The coverup ability of some major college athletic programs and campus police is truly astonishing. The same sh*t happens everywhere.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2019, 01:46:46 AM »
We don’t say Anderson inherited a mess because he had Heron and LJ. It was said that Heron wasn’t going to return, I don’t really believe that but I can’t dismiss it either. LJ put his name in the transfer portal. This team would look a whole lot different without those two but one can argue that it’s because of Anderson that they are still here. Mullins team his first year was the team he put together and he needs to own it to some extent.

It’s basically about his coaching success and posters are saying his first year isn’t his fault I say look at year three and it shows you he wasn’t much better with a much better roster. So you can’t just blame the roster (which in part is on a Mullin) for his year one record.

We dont say Anderson inherited a mess because he didn’t inherit a mess. Why is this so difficult?

LJ didn’t stay because of Anderson. He stayed because he would have had to sit out a year to transfer and his clear intention was to be a pro after this season. He’s already sat out a year and did a prep year.

Anderson wouldn’t have managed the mess Mullin walked into any better.

TONYD3

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2019, 09:09:04 AM »
We dont say Anderson inherited a mess because he didn’t inherit a mess. Why is this so difficult?

LJ didn’t stay because of Anderson. He stayed because he would have had to sit out a year to transfer and his clear intention was to be a pro after this season. He’s already sat out a year and did a prep year.

Their was no mess. We had a coach. The novice should have kept his mouth shut.

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2019, 10:52:01 AM »

He absolutely would of. Anderson walked in an absolutely horrible mess when he came to Arkansas, and took them to 18-14 even with the only good player left broke his left and was out the rest of the season after the first week.

SJUFAN

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2019, 12:13:36 PM »

At the end of the day what he inherited was a roster that was picked to finish last. It may not be a mess, but it’s pretty bad.

The fact that LJ put his name in the transfer portal tells you he was considering sitting out a year. I’m not sold that he doesn’t return for his senior year.

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
If Anderson keeps his streak after the season, he'll owe some of it to Mullin for the schedule.

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2019, 07:18:49 PM »
If Anderson keeps his streak after the season, he'll owe some of it to Mullin for the schedule.

Mullin didn't make this schedule. Only Arizona and the preseason tourney's were on there... The better teams on the schedule.

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2019, 07:24:30 PM »
At the end of the day what he inherited was a roster that was picked to finish last. It may not be a mess, but it’s pretty bad.

The fact that LJ put his name in the transfer portal tells you he was considering sitting out a year. I’m not sold that he doesn’t return for his senior year.

Mustapha Heron,LJ, Figeuroa, Ian Steere, Greg Williams, Josh Roberts, David Caraher, Marcellus Earlington.

Amar Alibegozic, Felix Balamou, Christian Jones.

What roster are you taking?

Poison

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2019, 08:32:30 PM »
Mustapha Heron,LJ, Figeuroa, Ian Steere, Greg Williams, Josh Roberts, David Caraher, Marcellus Earlington.

If you go to the grocery store and buy all of the ingredients and then your wife cooks you a delicious dinner, you get some of the credit, too.

So does Coach Mullin.

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2019, 11:33:34 PM »
I think Anderson is a great coach for this job right now.   It's not at all a desirable job and I think it's Anderson's job to make it more desirable by the time he leaves.  He isn't going to final 4s but he can offer some consistent respectability, which is what the program desperately needs.   Look at Providence and Seton Hall in the new Big East.   Imagine St John's just getting to that level of consistency.  Willard and Cooley are spoken about so highly just for making tournaments.  Neither of them has won shit in the big national sense but they've raised the profile of their programs significantly compared to recent predecessors.  That's all we need Anderson to do and it seems like a task he can accomplish.  Make this job mean something so that good coaches will take a look when it opens up again.  Baby steps.   

Both Cooley and Willard have won Big East Championships too. I'd say they've done a lot.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2019, 11:37:11 PM »

Bad take here. St. John's is not a blue blood, you need to roll the dice sometimes. The players Lav brought in far outweighed the players that didn't pan out.

There were a lot of teams in Big East who tried to get Jordan and Obekpa too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2019, 11:58:10 PM »

Are you asking if I would take the roster that was picked to finish in last place which has 8 players on it over a roster that was picked to finish in last placed which has 3 players on it?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 11:59:45 PM by SJUFAN »

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2019, 09:29:23 AM »
This board loves arguing over old coaches.  My goodness.