2020 Transfers

• 299 replies
Re: 2020 Transfers
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2020, 09:46:46 PM »
He played a total of 21 min (3.5 min per gam). I'm not sure what you can show in that amount of time.
Practice. He can show something in practice, where playing time is earned.

Poison

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2020, 09:59:10 PM »
He played a total of 21 min (3.5 min per gam). I'm not sure what you can show in that amount of time.

We could see that he was out of shape because he was jogging back on d. What he could have shown in the time he was given was that he cared enough to be in shape, and he didn’t.

I hope his attitude and work ethic changes, but if it’s not going to, or if he doesn’t think it needs to change, he can pack his bags and play elsewhere.

That’s basically what I’d expect Coach Anderson told him.

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2020, 12:23:42 AM »
We could see that he was out of shape because he was jogging back on d. What he could have shown in the time he was given was that he cared enough to be in shape, and he didn’t.

I hope his attitude and work ethic changes, but if it’s not going to, or if he doesn’t think it needs to change, he can pack his bags and play elsewhere.

That’s basically what I’d expect Coach Anderson told him.

So you're telling me the big man was the slowest guy in transition defense? I'm shocked.

Seriously though he should have been in better shape as should the whole team. Our strength and conditioning program for all of athletics is sub par. It's partly system failure.

Steere didn't rise up but at same time he was buried. I see mutual blame here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2020, 12:57:21 AM »
So you're telling me the big man was the slowest guy in transition defense? I'm shocked.

Seriously though he should have been in better shape as should the whole team. Our strength and conditioning program for all of athletics is sub par. It's partly system failure.

Dave, look at how strong we finished against Georgetown. This isn’t an out of shape team across the board. There are definitely some hustlers on this team.

Some guys certainly could benefit from adding some muscle though.
We don’t have a big tough rebounder, and every other BE team does.

What’s your gut say on a spot opening up for a grad transfer big man?

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2020, 02:09:02 AM »
Steere seemed out of shape of course. But rest of team???

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2020, 04:33:39 AM »
Dave, look at how strong we finished against Georgetown. This isn’t an out of shape team across the board. There are definitely some hustlers on this team.

Georgetown was playing 5 1/2 guys. They were completely dominating our squad til they had zero left in the tank with a few minutes left.

Steere had been practicing with the team since the summer and throughout the year. He wasn't sitting in his dorm room eating cupcakes. His game isn't to get out on the press. Maybe the fit isn't there. I can assure you he is better than Sears. Let's see if things turn around for him.

Johnny23

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2020, 07:54:41 AM »
The whole team should have been in better shape? I saw no issues with team fitness outside of Steere which I pointed out on here several times during his limited PT.

Poison

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
Georgetown was playing 5 1/2 guys. They were completely dominating our squad til they had zero left in the tank with a few minutes left.

Steere had been practicing with the team since the summer and throughout the year. He wasn't sitting in his dorm room eating cupcakes. His game isn't to get out on the press. Maybe the fit isn't there. I can assure you he is better than Sears. Let's see if things turn around for him.

We ran Georgetown out of the gym. IDK how many players they had, but there’s one thing I’m certain of...

I don’t care about Georgetown’s problems. We have our own problems.

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2020, 10:23:52 AM »

Yes against a team that was depleted and worse than us. We need to be physically stronger not just conditioned. It's been a problem dating back since Pat Dixon left.

I think Steere suffered from rust and (lack of) reps more than physically being unable to perform.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2020, 11:29:12 AM »
Look at how our guys match up physically against Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall even DePaul; they all have major beef in the 4-5 positions. There were times we looked like a CYO team this past season, physically, compared to some of the lineups we were up against.

Who was the last 6' 8" 230lb  4-5 we had here, Sean Evans? Need another Earlington but 3-4 inches taller.

Poison

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »
Yes against a team that was depleted and worse than us. We need to be physically stronger not just conditioned. It's been a problem dating back since Pat Dixon left.

I think Steere suffered from rust and (lack of) reps more than physically being unable to perform.

Georgetown beat us twice. Whatever they had left, it was still formidable.

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 12:52:17 PM »
Look at how our guys match up physically against Georgetown, Providence, Seton Hall even DePaul; they all have major beef in the 4-5 positions. There were times we looked like a CYO team this past season, physically, compared to some of the lineups we were up against.

Who was the last 6' 8" 230lb  4-5 we had here, Sean Evans? Need another Earlington but 3-4 inches taller.
THIS X 1,000

Marillac

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »

Sears was 6’7 230 and Steere is 6’9 260.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:05:48 PM by Marillac »

Marillac

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2020, 02:09:08 PM »
Georgetown beat us twice. Whatever they had left, it was still formidable.

They won 3 of their other 16 games with one being DePaul. On what f*cking planet is that formidable?

Johnny23

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020, 02:18:50 PM »
G'town's size always hurts us even when they suck a la this year.

ras

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2020, 02:49:20 PM »
The Steere situation really baffles me. Unless he was a cancer behind the scene, why not give him more minutes , especially w Roberts injured. His name isn’t in the transfer portal at this time. You don’t have to be in the greatest shape to play 7 minutes a game. He may have been valuable guarding opponents bigs.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 02:50:49 PM by ras »

Poison

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020, 03:17:21 PM »
They won 3 of their other 16 games with one being DePaul. On what f*cking planet is that formidable?

Look at their entire schedule? I think anyone can see that they’re not an easy opponent. They lost to Nova by one point right before they played us.

So, you’re welcome.

How’s the quarantine going for you in Florida? Taking it seriously, I’m assuming?

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 06:16:08 PM »
Sears was 6’7 230 and Steere is 6’9 260.
and between the two of them probably averaged less than 10 minutes per game over our 32 games.

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2020, 09:39:02 PM »
Steere gone. Any major program going to give him a shot - he’s played, what, like a dozen games in 3 years?

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2020, 09:56:23 PM »
Anderson will have tons of room to add his guys now with Sears and Steere out and LJ a long shot to return.  I would have preferred we kept Sears, but this isn't the system for him. My guess is he goes to a top D2.  No way he graduated here.  SJU makes you take over 50% of your credits at SJU and that includes weird mandatory classes like 9 credits of philosophy and theology.