Cancun Trip

• 26 replies
Cancun Trip
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:06:59 PM »
Anyone have info on the trip?  Did we start practicing yet?  I understand we get 10 practice days before the season starts...I assume they must do them before the trip.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Cancun Trip
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:04:54 PM »
I believe they can start practicing around the first day of classes, and coaches can take 10 days of practice if they choose (I looked into it for a piece on my blog (http://theeastcoastbias.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/a-guide-to-cancun-for-the-red-storm-and-other-basketballers/)); I think they will probably have a press release before the trip, since that's what all the other schools do.

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:15:12 PM »
I believe they can start practicing around the first day of classes, and coaches can take 10 days of practice if they choose (I looked into it for a piece on my blog (http://theeastcoastbias.wordpress.com/2008/08/04/a-guide-to-cancun-for-the-red-storm-and-other-basketballers/)); I think they will probably have a press release before the trip, since that's what all the other schools do.

I was saving this till it got closer. This is definitely a good piece and everyone should check it out.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 07:32:31 PM »
I'm like Rick Ross without the lies about his criminal past: everyday I'm hustlin'!

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 07:38:39 PM »
Peter/Russ...keep digging baby! They have ALREADY had 3 team practices in preparation for the Cancun trip. They leave in 8 days, right after Friday classes.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »
Peter/Russ...keep digging baby! They have ALREADY had 3 team practices in preparation for the Cancun trip. They leave in 8 days, right after Friday classes.

Freshman can't start practicing till next week I believe though.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 08:52:29 PM »
Correctamundo...fresh are not practicing till Wednesday...NCAA rules...they are watching/learning/hitting weights hard

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »
They have ALREADY had 3 team practices in preparation for the Cancun trip. They leave in 8 days, right after Friday classes.

Thanks for the heads up croc.. 8) .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 12:25:28 PM »

http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082608aaa.html

Red Storm Basketball To Get Early Test With Labor Day Visit To Cancun

St. John's to face a pair Mexican teams over the holiday weekend; fans can follow online with 'Las Cartas de Cancun' at RedStormSports.com.

Aug. 26, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - The new-look St. John's basketball team will get an early test as head coach Norm Roberts and the squad take a trip to Cancun, Mexico, this coming Labor Day weekend. The Red Storm will face a pair of international clubs on Saturday and Sunday of this week as the team continues its offseason preparation for the 2008-09 season.

Red Storm fans will be able to follow all of the action in Mexico via RedStormSports.com, the online home of St. John's Athletics. The Red Storm's official website will publish "Las Cartas de Cancun" ("Letters from Cancun") from Friday, Aug. 29 through Monday, Sept. 1, featuring photo galleries, game recaps and daily journal entries.

"Cancun and the time leading up to the trip gives us a chance to work out together early, and form a bond with each other as teammates early," said Roberts. "It is a time also for us to work on some things that will give us a jumpstart to the season. There are some particular things that I want us to become more comfortable with, like playing faster offensively and extending defenses, so we have things that we can try out with our ball club. Our guys are excited about getting together early and getting this season started, after everyone worked so hard this summer at preparing their bodies and improving their games."

In its Labor Day weekend visit to Mexico, St. John's makes its first foreign tour of the Roberts Era, as collegiate teams are allowed one international trip every four years. Hall of Fame Coach Lou Carnesecca was the last mentor to lead St. John's on an international trip, as the squad traveled to Spain in the summer of 1991 in advance of All-American Malik Sealy's senior year.

The Red Storm was granted 10 days of team practice in advance of its foreign travel, as per NCAA rules. Freshmen Quincy Roberts and TyShwan Edmondson will practice for the first time with their teammates on Wednesday, Aug. 27, as the fall semester officially begins in Queens.

Four starters and 10 letterwinners return for Roberts and the Red Storm in 2008-09, including an All-BIG EAST honorable mention selection in senior Anthony Mason Jr. (14.0 points per game, 4.4 rebounds) and BIG EAST All-Rookie team member Justin Burrell (10.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg). Rising sophomore Dele Coker, who has slimmed down to 260 lbs. after an outstanding summer conditioning effort, will not be part of the team travel party because of restrictions on his student visa. Freshman Phil Wait, the Red Storm's new 7-1 center from Manchester, England, may travel with the squad but will not see game action as he rehabs from a minor knee injury suffered during a summer pickup game.

Two competitive contests await the Red Storm in Cancun. On Friday, Aug. 30, St. John's faces Angeles de Puebla, a first division Mexican professional team. On Saturday, Aug. 31, St. John's takes on Monterrey Institute of Technology, widely recognized as having the top university athletics program in the country. Monterrey Tech's basketball team has represented Mexico at the last five World University Games.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 06:51:46 PM by JJ »

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 12:51:25 PM »
Typo ?

"The Red Storm will face a pair of international clubs on Saturday and Sunday of this week"

"On Friday, Aug. 30, St. John's faces Angeles de Puebla, a first division Mexican professional team. On Saturday, Aug. 31, St. John's takes on Monterrey Institute of Technology"

Aug 30 is a Sat.  2nd quote prob is typo. s/b Sat 8/30 & Sun 8/31 ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:53:13 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 01:01:11 PM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/082608aaa.html

Red Storm Basketball To Get Early Test With Labor Day Visit To Cancun

St. John's to face a pair Mexican teams over the holiday weekend; fans can follow online with 'Las Cartas de Cancun' at RedStormSports.com.

Aug. 26, 2008

QUEENS, N.Y. - The new-look St. John's basketball team will get an early test as head coach Norm Roberts and the squad take a trip to Cancun, Mexico, this coming Labor Day weekend. The Red Storm will face a pair of international clubs on Saturday and Sunday of this week as the team continues its offseason preparation for the 2008-09 season.

Red Storm fans will be able to follow all of the action in Mexico via RedStormSports.com, the online home of St. John's Athletics. The Red Storm's official website will publish "Las Cartas de Cancun" ("Letters from Cancun") from Friday, Aug. 29 through Monday, Sept. 1, featuring photo galleries, game recaps and daily journal entries.

"Cancun and the time leading up to the trip gives us a chance to work out together early, and form a bond with each other as teammates early," said Roberts. "It is a time also for us to work on some things that will give us a jumpstart to the season. There are some particular things that I want us to become more comfortable with, like playing faster offensively and extending defenses, so we have things that we can try out with our ball club. Our guys are excited about getting together early and getting this season started, after everyone worked so hard this summer at preparing their bodies and improving their games."

In its Labor Day weekend visit to Mexico, St. John's makes its first foreign tour of the Roberts Era, as collegiate teams are allowed one international trip every four years. Hall of Fame Coach Lou Carnesecca was the last mentor to lead St. John's on an international trip, as the squad traveled to Spain in the summer of 1991 in advance of All-American Malik Sealy's senior year.

The Red Storm was granted 10 days of team practice in advance of its foreign travel, as per NCAA rules. Freshmen Quincy Roberts and TyShwan Edmondson will practice for the first time with their teammates on Wednesday, Aug. 27, as the fall semester officially begins in Queens.

Four starters and 10 letterwinners return for Roberts and the Red Storm in 2008-09, including an All-BIG EAST honorable mention selection in senior Anthony Mason Jr. (14.0 points per game, 4.4 rebounds) and BIG EAST All-Rookie team member Justin Burrell (10.8 ppg, 5.9 rpg). Rising sophomore Dele Coker, who has slimmed down to 260 lbs. after an outstanding summer conditioning effort, will not be part of the team travel party because of restrictions on his student visa. Freshman Phil Wait, the Red Storm's new 7-1 center from Manchester, England, may travel with the squad but will not see game action as he rehabs from a minor knee injury suffered during a summer pickup game.

Two competitive contests await the Red Storm in Cancun. On Friday, Aug. 30, St. John's faces Angeles de Puebla, a first division Mexican professional team. On Saturday, Aug. 31, St. John's takes on Monterrey Institute of Technology, widely recognized as having the top university athletics program in the country. Monterrey Tech's basketball team has represented Mexico at the last five World University Games.

So I guess this means that Evans, Jasuloines and Burrell will be playing center.
That's tough for them. Does anyone know anything about these teams?

They sound better than the D3 crap we played against last summer, and lost.

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 01:23:04 PM »
What D3 team did we play & lose to last summer ?

The only non D1 team we played was Molloy
(Nov exhib- 30pt win)

The worst losses were to Tulane & Niagra
 both w RPI's of 140-160 (we only had 140)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:26:41 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 01:27:01 PM »
What D2 team did we play last summer ?

The only non D1 teams we played were Molloy(Nov exhib)
& Hawaii (Dec)

Dude, Hawaii plays in the WAC.  Most certainly a D1 team albeit a very bad one last year with a 271 RPI.

Also Niagara's RPI last year was 116, just about the same as Marist, Providence, Cincy and SHU.  Depaul had an RPI of 158, SJU of 156.  And yes Tulane was 160.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:32:46 PM by yankcranker »

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 01:29:52 PM »
What D2 team did we play last summer ?

The only non D1 teams we played were Molloy(Nov exhib)
& Hawaii (Dec)

Dude, Hawaii plays in the WAC.  Most certainly a D1 team albeit a very bad one last year with a 271 RPI.

caught it & fixed right as u were posting
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 01:31:53 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

Poison

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 01:31:28 PM »

(Nov exhib- 30pt win)

empire state games we played d3 level comp.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 01:52:44 PM »
I hope Wait's "minor injury" isn't like Mase's "minor injury" last year.  We could use a 7-footer with his hands up for many of the team's games. And no Dele?  He's one of the biggest question marks!  I guess this trip will shine some light on whether Tyshwan or Paris or... anyone... can play back up point. 

And if Mase starts bringing the ball up, I'm just gonna look away for the season. (Not really.)

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 02:16:24 PM »

(Nov exhib- 30pt win)

empire state games we played d3 level comp.
2007 Empire State Games were a throw together team that Mase & Burrell were on,
but had absolutely no help ( & Burrell played sick if I remember).

With Burrell sick, the only legitamite D1 starter was Mase (sorry Geno)
Rob Hines (St Francis) was next best player I think

They put Geno & Cavateo on the team, to show you how bad the roster was.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 02:27:06 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 06:48:53 PM »
Great job by the staff putting this together. Extra practice time vs excellent competition.

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 07:54:16 PM »
With Burrell sick, the only legitamite D1 starter was Mase (sorry Geno)
Rob Hines (St Francis) was next best player I think

They put Geno & Cavateo on the team, to show you how bad the roster was.

Legitimate D I starter????? Please revise to what you mean, as Big East starter. Geno and Mike were/are both legit Div 1 players but not BE material.

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2008, 10:35:24 AM »

Legitimate D I starter????? Please revise to what you mean, as Big East starter. Geno and Mike were/are both legit Div 1 players but not BE material.

I said they were not D1(should have said BE) starters, I did not say they were not D1 players.

Did I infer otherwise ?
Molloy '71