Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer

• 150 replies
Re: Ray Salnave: Monmouth Grad Transfer
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2020, 11:17:32 PM »
Agenda Dave back at it again!!! It really is comical at this point! Just to keep the comedy going I have some more examples of the Basketball gurus insider info on more Anderson Recruits!

Penny thread - quick recap ....highest level was a Fordham at A10 should have went conference lower.....never could be factor .....no where near his brother.....wouldn’t sniff Battle from Butler or Ganett from Providence and is more on level from Oscar Lopez at DePaul the guy who averaged 0.9 point his freshman year on the worst team in the Big East!

Let’s keep the Merry Go Round going I love to play this game!!

Such a Tool ....your the worst St. John’s fan on here....at least other posters who go at it with each other reason and have hope...your so blinded and upset you bestie gets bashed and u haven’t given Anderson a fair shot at all here it’s just degrade degrade degrade don’t worry Dave we all see the Agenda!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 11:17:51 PM by talkbigeast »

« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »
You can be the most ridiculous poster on this board and that's saying something but ok I'll play your little game-of course expectations for this coming season exceed those for last season. Just look at the early prognostications from those in the business of making predictions-as opposed to ninth most have us at least 5th or 6th and that is with adding Uconn who is picked ahead of us so with last years field that would translate to 4th or 5th.

Sorry I wasn't looking for what magazines will or won't say. I was looking for your opinion on the situation. Do you just accept what magazines tell you?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #102 on: May 16, 2020, 12:07:40 AM »
The point I think Dave is making is without Mustapha Heron and not knowing if LJ comes back how is this team that much better?

Cole and Posh have to be significant upgrades and the sophomores plus Julian have to take major leaps... it could happen.
 I still think they're a year away from competing for a tourney birth.

This is where my head is at. I'm not handcuffing possibilities but how much are we expected to surmount expectations from last season? I'm willing to listen and yes I understand conference has taken some legitimate set backs from graduating primary players.

« Reply #103 on: May 16, 2020, 12:11:38 AM »
Agenda Dave back at it again!!! It really is comical at this point! Just to keep the comedy going I have some more examples of the Basketball gurus insider info on more Anderson Recruits!

Penny thread - quick recap ....highest level was a Fordham at A10 should have went conference lower.....never could be factor .....no where near his brother.....wouldn’t sniff Battle from Butler or Ganett from Providence and is more on level from Oscar Lopez at DePaul the guy who averaged 0.9 point his freshman year on the worst team in the Big East!

Let’s keep the Merry Go Round going I love to play this game!!

Such a Tool ....your the worst St. John’s fan on here....at least other posters who go at it with each other reason and have hope...your so blinded and upset you bestie gets bashed and u haven’t given Anderson a fair shot at all here it’s just degrade degrade degrade don’t worry Dave we all see the Agenda!

My man if you're looking for an agenda you're in the wrong place. 10+ years Johnny Jungle has been a destination for fans to talk openly. You won't see bias here from positive to negative.

Certainly respect your opinion as do I respect others as well as my own.

« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2020, 12:37:33 AM »
Sorry I wasn't looking for what magazines will or won't say. I was looking for your opinion on the situation. Do you just accept what magazines tell you?
OMG you are truly exasperating. No it isn't just the talking heads it is my opinion too I was just citing them to show it is a universal opinion. I did give you my opinion when I said your question was rhetorical but apparently you didn't know what that meant. No matter how much you protest I as many other posters on this board see through your denials and are convinced your opinions are agenda driven.

« Reply #105 on: May 16, 2020, 06:26:15 AM »
OMG you are truly exasperating. No it isn't just the talking heads it is my opinion too I was just citing them to show it is a universal opinion. I did give you my opinion when I said your question was rhetorical but apparently you didn't know what that meant. No matter how much you protest I as many other posters on this board see through your denials and are convinced your opinions are agenda driven.

He’s been right about everything since Anderson was hired. He already told us that celtics.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #106 on: May 16, 2020, 06:34:28 AM »
The point I think Dave is making is without Mustapha Heron and not knowing if LJ comes back how is this team that much better?

Cole and Posh have to be significant upgrades and the sophomores plus Julian have to take major leaps... it could happen.
 I still think they're a year away from competing for a tourney birth.
I think this is fair, particularly if LJ doesn’t come back it is hard to argue that next year’s roster will be better. Next year will really be a test of Anderson’s system and his ability to coach guys up. We’ll see what he can do, but I also agree that we should wait until year 3/4 before we expect them to be in tourney contention.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 06:35:05 AM by apesNapes »

Poison

« Reply #107 on: May 16, 2020, 08:34:11 AM »
He’s been right about everything since Anderson was hired. He already told us that celtics.

He wrong about Penny. He was right about Rutherford, Dunn and Sears.

Curbelo picked Illinois. The Stepinac backcourt went ACC. Posh is a solid recruit, but if he’s not ready from day 1, we’re f’d.

With this incoming class, we’ll get to see how much smarter we really are.

« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »
How replaceable are Heron and LJ?

We proved last year we didn't miss Heron much after he was shut down. Guys were given opportunities; Williams, Earlington, Penny, and showed they earned the opportunities.

LJ. LJ last season reminded me of Ponds the season before. You can say he is the best outside shooter on the team, but too many games, he would shoot us out of games. Too many chucks, too many running one handers...leads to fast break points for the other team. His chucks were like uncounted turnovers. So, if he decides to go International between now and August, it would be tough but not irreplaceable.

Poison

« Reply #109 on: May 16, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »
How replaceable are Heron and LJ?

We proved last year we didn't miss Heron much after he was shut down. Guys were given opportunities; Williams, Earlington, Penny, and showed they earned the opportunities.

LJ. LJ last season reminded me of Ponds the season before. You can say he is the best outside shooter on the team, but too many games, he would shoot us out of games. Too many chucks, too many running one handers...leads to fast break points for the other team. His chucks were like uncounted turnovers. So, if he decides to go International between now and August, it would be tough but not irreplaceable.

Heron had one of the all time worst seasons any St.John’s starter ever had.

I don’t even believe he was anywhere near as bad as he played, but that’s what happened. He’s not a man to man defender. His basketball instincts weren’t his strength. He was an excellent spot up shooter, and strong on finishing plays others worked to run for him.

LJ tried to do too much. Ideally, we need another scorer to step up and be the alpha. LJ would be better as a second or third option on offense like he was in 2018-2019. His shooting percentages back that up nicely.

For us to dance, best case scenario is that alpha is Posh Alexander.

« Reply #110 on: May 16, 2020, 12:03:41 PM »
Heron had one of the all time worst seasons any St.John’s starter ever had.

I don’t even believe he was anywhere near as bad as he played, but that’s what happened. He’s not a man to man defender. His basketball instincts weren’t his strength. He was an excellent spot up shooter, and strong on finishing plays others worked to run for him.

LJ tried to do too much. Ideally, we need another scorer to step up and be the alpha. LJ would be better as a second or third option on offense like he was in 2018-2019. His shooting percentages back that up nicely.

For us to dance, best case scenario is that alpha is Posh Alexander.

I don’t know if posh has to be the alpha, but would agree that he will be a definite upgrade from what we had last year...and truth be told, any honest objective fan who can’t see that on paper at least this team should be easily 3/4 wins better have blinders on....

Poison

« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
I don’t know if posh has to be the alpha, but would agree that he will be a definite upgrade from what we had last year...and truth be told, any honest objective fan who can’t see that on paper at least this team should be easily 3/4 wins better have blinders on....

I hope Posh is the goods, but I don’t know what to expect from him. If he’s a point guard, and he’s ready, then we’re in business.

Vince Cole may be as good as advertised, but anyone here saying they know for sure, is only blowing smoke. If it takes him some time, which is likely, he may not start at the two because Coach may want an experienced player there. Looks like there is finally some depth. It’s an unusual feeling.

« Reply #112 on: May 16, 2020, 10:10:17 PM »
Heron did nothing last year for us ...we were better without him

When Heron stinks it's his fault. When the players "develop" it's because of Anderson. Got ya.

Poison

« Reply #113 on: May 17, 2020, 12:23:38 AM »
When Heron stinks it's his fault. When the players "develop" it's because of Anderson. Got ya.

Heron stunk because Heron stunk.

« Reply #114 on: May 17, 2020, 11:13:03 AM »
Is that comment I said about him wrong? We played better when we was not in the lineup and he did not fit Anderson’s system at all. The Injuries had an effect on him both of his seasons. But the player we projected him to be he did not live up to the hype

Poison

« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »
Is that comment I said about him wrong? We played better when we was not in the lineup and he did not fit Anderson’s system at all. The Injuries had an effect on him both of his seasons. But the player we projected him to be he did not live up to the hype

He didn’t fit into either system. Where was Heron when he needed most both this season and last? I’m not blaming him for being injured, but he played well in maybe 10 real games in two tears.

« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 12:48:29 PM »
I think there will be more buy in to Anderson's style of play from both Posh and Wasu which is step in right direction. They both need to be junk yard dogs all the time.

I think what we need to hope is that Posh can be a more offensively skilled version of Rutherford. I think we all respected Rutherford's effort but simply he was limited. I think Posh expands on that but we'll live with some freshman growing pains.

We need to be that chip on shoulder team who doesn't know they aren't that good. The skill will need to elevate for this style and culture to win in Big East. It's possible but if we see bad results it's hard to get that buy in which is why I believe Heron and LJ were basically F this.

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2020, 02:35:34 PM »
See this is where we disagree. I didn’t see that or get that vibe from either player. Heron got hurt. He was hurt all year and then had to shut it down. He was into the games post-injury and was on Twitter lobbying for an extra year of eligibility once the pandemic hit.

Watch LJ the last 5 games. He didn’t play or look like anyone who checked out. I sat a few rows back for the Gtown BE game and LJ played his tail off and cared as if was a final 4 game. You don’t do that if you say “F it”.  He led the BE in steals - you don’t do that if you are checked out. He was into the Creighton game despite there being no fans. And when we won that game - which we would have - he would have played his a$$ off on Friday night against Prov.

Foad

« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2020, 03:54:04 PM »
See this is where we disagree. I didn’t see that or get that vibe from either player. Heron got hurt. He was hurt all year and then had to shut it down. He was into the games post-injury and was on Twitter lobbying for an extra year of eligibility once the pandemic hit.

Watch LJ the last 5 games. He didn’t play or look like anyone who checked out. I sat a few rows back for the Gtown BE game and LJ played his tail off and cared as if was a final 4 game. You don’t do that if you say “F it”.  He led the BE in steals - you don’t do that if you are checked out. He was into the Creighton game despite there being no fans. And when we won that game - which we would have - he would have played his a$$ off on Friday night against Prov.

I thought at the beginning of the year that LJF was going to play himself into th late first round. That said, I thought he checked out in January and I don't understand how anyone could have watched him chucking up 40 foot threes and one hand floaters in the lane and think otherwise. His last spate of games included Two for 17 from the floor versus Xavier. Four points versus Villanova, nine versus Butler. 11 for 17 from the FT line. 11 for 29 from three. Five steals in his last six games. One block in his last 10. Other than a stellar game against Creighton (16 pts, 5 assists, 12 rebounds) he had four rebounds or fewer than eight times in his last nine games; over those nine (again leaving out Creighton) 19 rebounds versus 18 fouls. He not looked at all engaged to me and I was a fan.

« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2020, 04:04:23 PM »

Agree 100%
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.