Improvement Predictions

• 32 replies

Poison

Improvement Predictions
« on: October 26, 2020, 07:55:36 PM »
My vote is Williams. I think he was just starting to develop confidence at the end of the season. He does the Norm Roberts shake the ball a little like a salt shaker, and then pass it back out to Geno Lawrence. I want to see him put the ball on the floor, get into the lane, and finish strong.

I love his effort on defense. That's why I voted for him.

Note: I appreciate Dunn's effort, but I don't think he's going to be able to keep defenses honest if he can't stick an open three, and towards the end of last season, he couldn't throw it in the ocean most games.

What's interesting about these returning players is that it's not out of the realm of possibility that any one of them could have a breakout season at St.John's. We'll see.

Re: Improvement Predictions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:04:47 AM »
I chose Dunn. If he does correct his outside shooting, then he is most improved. If he doesn't...he could see minutes evaporate as the season goes on.

GWill, Penny, Duke...can easily make an argument for any of them. Let's get started!

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 05:55:18 PM »
I chose Dunn. If he does correct his outside shooting, then he is most improved. If he doesn't...he could see minutes evaporate as the season goes on.

GWill, Penny, Duke...can easily make an argument for any of them. Let's get started!

Do you see Dunn playing? The point or off guard?

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2020, 09:17:47 PM »
Do you see Dunn playing? The point or off guard?
I see him being the third guard...I see he, Posh and GWill being on the court at the same time, with a frontcourt of two bigs; Toro, Moore, Duke, Roberts. In away games, I can see him having more influence, familiarity with opposing arenas like Butler, Creighton, etc.

Like you said, if he still cant throw the ball in the ocean, its all a moot point. But because of his last season shooting woes, I would consider him a better candidate for most improved this season, as long as he worked on his shot in the off season.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 09:58:31 PM »
I see him being the third guard...I see he, Posh and GWill being on the court at the same time, with a frontcourt of two bigs; Toro, Moore, Duke, Roberts. In away games, I can see him having more influence, familiarity with opposing arenas like Butler, Creighton, etc.

Like you said, if he still cant throw the ball in the ocean, its all a moot point. But because of his last season shooting woes, I would consider him a better candidate for most improved this season, as long as he worked on his shot in the off season.

This could be the one year the lack of fan support doesn't hurt the Johnnies.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 12:38:14 PM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 11:40:42 PM »
The could be the one year the lack of fan support doesn't hurt the Johnnies.
Yeah the cardboard cutouts will probably make more noise at the home games.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 11:48:36 AM »
Cardboard cutouts don't complain about poor ventilation at CA, no back seating, make negative comments about coaching, administration and/or facilities on social media. Cardboard cutouts don't get into e-arguments online. Cardboard cutouts probably have as much program knowledge and basketball IQ as a large percentage of the population. Might be the way of the future, :-)

Poison

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2020, 12:40:12 PM »
Anyone hear the latest on where games will be played? Fans in attendance? At all?

Poison

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2020, 12:45:20 PM »
Zach B: Mike Anderson says only player who hasn't missed a day of practice is Greg Williams Jr. #sjubb

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2020, 12:53:51 PM »
Anyone hear the latest on where games will be played? Fans in attendance? At all?
SJU will most likely play all of their home games on campus. No determination on fans yet.

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 03:05:52 PM »
Read on campus

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2020, 03:42:32 PM »
Cardboard cutouts don't complain about poor ventilation at CA, no back seating, make negative comments about coaching, administration and/or facilities on social media. Cardboard cutouts don't get into e-arguments online. Cardboard cutouts probably have as much program knowledge and basketball IQ as a large percentage of the population. Might be the way of the future, :-)
I've had the distinct pleasure of officiating some post covid youth sporting events sans parents. The imporovement is palpable.  I suggest it is the wave of the future.

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2020, 04:19:16 PM »
I've had the distinct pleasure of officiating some post covid youth sporting events sans parents. The imporovement is palpable.  I suggest it is the wave of the future.
Careful what you say it's 2020 the wave of the future is probably a tidal wave.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
I still doubt the season goes past December, but Williams is poised for the biggest improvement if it does.

Williams was disappointing last season.  He showed so much promise and basketball IQ as a freshman.  He finished the season strong with a great last five games, but he should have been a double-digit scorer all year.  He was every bit as good as Dunn and had much more control.  He needs to be much more aggressive. Dunn has no conscience and Williams is the exact opposite.

ras

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2020, 10:00:05 PM »
I still doubt the season goes past December, but Williams is poised for the biggest improvement if it does.

Williams was disappointing last season.  He showed so much promise and basketball IQ as a freshman.  He finished the season strong with a great last five games, but he should have been a double-digit scorer all year.  He was every bit as good as Dunn and had much more control.  He needs to be much more aggressive. Dunn has no conscience and Williams is the exact opposite.
Williams was injured in the beginning of last year.

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2020, 01:16:37 PM »
idk if any of these guys get "most improved" but hoping that all have marginally improved. I think we need Williams to step up the most.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 04:47:34 PM »
idk if any of these guys get "most improved" but hoping that all have marginally improved. I think we need Williams to step up the most.

I didn’t think of it as an award. Who will put the work in to get better?

Improvement from year to year has been uncommon at St.John’s in general.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 09:43:49 PM »
I didn’t think of it as an award. Who will put the work in to get better?

Improvement from year to year has been uncommon at St.John’s in general.

I think the guys are what they are. What I'm hopeful is we have a bit more efficiency. Can Dunn shoot 45% as opposed to 38% is improvement we need

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
If Williams could be our leading scorer I think we have a greater chance at being a tournament team, compared to say Dunn.

Just have to stay healthy and get those shot attempts. If he can space out the floor for Dunn to drive, for Posh to drive and dish, we will be in a good spot.

I hope he can stay healthy the second half of his career.

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2020, 10:21:31 AM »
If Williams could be our leading scorer I think we have a greater chance at being a tournament team, compared to say Dunn.

Just have to stay healthy and get those shot attempts. If he can space out the floor for Dunn to drive, for Posh to drive and dish, we will be in a good spot.

I hope he can stay healthy the second half of his career.

I think our goal should be to have 4 double digit scorers with our 5th man averaging 8. If we have 2 guys in double digit scoring we're in trouble.