Improvement Predictions

• 32 replies

Poison

Re: Improvement Predictions
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
I think the guys are what they are. What I'm hopeful is we have a bit more efficiency. Can Dunn shoot 45% as opposed to 38% is improvement we need

They may not be as talented as Mullin’s last two teams, but Coach Anderson hasn’t brought in any lazy players, or guys that don’t understand that the kid doesn’t pick the system.

I wish LJ and Heron great success in whatever lower tier league they end up in, but they stood in the way of our success while they were.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »
If we have 2 guys in double digit scoring we're in trouble.

I would have no problems turning into a program where we have nameless players year in,  year out.  If our team leaders had (14/13/12/12/11/10 ppg) we are harder to scheme against.

I know we all want the 5* players that average 19, but we don't get them, and when we get players like Ponds we seem to push the entire offense through that single player and teams gameplan for it. 

Give me the nameless wave of next-man-up bodies. 

Poison

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2020, 03:35:13 PM »
I would have no problems turning into a program where we have nameless players year in,  year out.  If our team leaders had (14/13/12/12/11/10 ppg) we are harder to scheme against.

I know we all want the 5* players that average 19, but we don't get them, and when we get players like Ponds we seem to push the entire offense through that single player and teams gameplan for it. 

We needed tougher players and a coach who wanted to put the work in. It shouldn’t surprise anyone that we were the softest team in the BE under a coach who didn’t work hard.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 03:35:57 PM by Poison »

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2020, 09:55:10 PM »

My comments had nothing to do with names/talent but more scheme and what's needed. See Villanova last year and they had 5 guys in double figures which mixed 3-5 star players in their starting five.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/villanova/2020.html

Any comments that say we don't want 5 star players and would rather lesser players is a losing strategy. Ponds wasn't the problem... depth was. We have Owens or another guard we would have been playing deep into March.

Our team as it stands is not a very good one. Doesn't mean we can't win games or won't play hard/well. We need a collective effort
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »
My comments had nothing to do with names/talent but more scheme and what's needed. See Villanova last year and they had 5 guys in double figures which mixed 3-5 star players in their starting five.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/villanova/2020.html

Any comments that say we don't want 5 star players and would rather lesser players is a losing strategy. Ponds wasn't the problem... depth was. We have Owens or another guard we would have been playing deep into March.

Our team as it stands is not a very good one. Doesn't mean we can't win games or won't play hard/well. We need a collective effort

We can have “not a good team” and be better than we were under Mullin and Lavin if the kids actually get better.

We should have no idea what that even looks like because it’s been so long since we’ve had a system of any kind.

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2020, 09:12:25 AM »

Respectfully disagree. Objectively, we have an NIT team returning in tact minus one key contributor, Figueroa. Heron was never 100%. Everyone else is returning. You have an NIT team that has added a skilled starting PG [Posh], a skilled three [Cole] and two quality front court bodies; Toro and Moore. Add Wusu. CMA has a system the players have bought into and grown and improved; GWill, Duke, Penny, Dunn.

Respectfully to the contrary, we do have a good team.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2020, 09:29:28 AM »

Respectfully disagree. Objectively, we have an NIT team returning in tact minus one key contributor, Figueroa. Heron was never 100%. Everyone else is returning. You have an NIT team that has added a skilled starting PG [Posh], a skilled three [Cole] and two quality front court bodies; Toro and Moore. Add Wusu. CMA has a system the players have bought into and grown and improved; GWill, Duke, Penny, Dunn.

When we lost Heron last year, Williams replaced him and he was better. Heron was ranked higher than Williams, but he certainly isn’t better than him. Heron was so bad, that when he played we had to win despite him. He had great talent, but he also had terrible instincts. Among the worst I have ever seen. Especially from a senior.

I would take Cedric Jackson and Geno Lawrence over him.

Coach Anderson won 5 games, 1 in the BE and had the team playing their best basketball at the end of the season.

I’m tired of analyzing the body of work from a season that ended quietly. Talent struggles when it doesn’t have the work ethic, the health and the coaching.

We had weak lead guards last year overall. This year, we’re adding 4 new ones.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:51:28 AM by Poison »

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2020, 11:31:08 AM »
Looking forward to start of season Poison, not that far off!

Marillac

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2020, 01:39:00 PM »

I think this is a bubble team.

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2020, 02:19:04 PM »
I think this is a bubble team.

That would be a natural progression in the right direction. We went from a team with a lot of questions at the beginning of the season to an NIT team that showed individual and team improvement. Only natural to go from NIT to bubble.

Thanks Marillac, I would take bubble team going into the season.

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2020, 04:03:11 PM »
If Greg Williams shoots the ball like he did at the end of last year the team will have a very good year!

derk

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2020, 03:22:10 PM »
I think fans are short changing the Duke. He took a big step in improving from the first half to the second half, so it won't be as difficult. He will be our nest inside out player.

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2020, 03:17:44 PM »
Williams needs to play with that dog mentality more often. When he looks to score or create he's so much better. He needs to take that next step this year and do it more consistently from game to game. No disappearing acts.

Hopefully Dunn worked on his shot this summer. He's the best penetrator/creator on the team as currently constructed. With a better shot look out.

The Duke is the swiss army knife of this team who does a little bit of everything. I see him continuing his progression and fighting for postseason honors along with Dunn and Champ possibly.