Suspend the season, or not?

• 6 replies

Poison

Suspend the season, or not?
« on: November 19, 2020, 08:41:43 AM »
Pitino suggested that the NCAA suspend the tournament until May.
Maybe they can and should suspend the whole season?

Otherwise, how will we avoid the same fate as Iona and UConn?

Plus, if we have an exposure, it will be at a much less convenient time.

Johnny23

Re: Suspend the season, or not?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 09:47:06 AM »
As of today the season is full steam ahead. Obviously it's a fluid situation.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2020-10-19/when-does-2020-21-college-basketball-season-start#:~:text=The%20NCAA%20announced%20that%20the,16.

We open up at home with St. Peter's next Wednesday, followed by LaSalle the next day.

I think it's inevitable that there will be several cancelled games across the country this season.

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 10:27:19 AM »
F Pitino, full steam ahead!

The student athletes themselves will be fine, statistics bear that out. Any coaches who have underlying medical conditions must have, should have been addressed by now.

No fans will be disappointing but, all games are televised on FS1 or FS2, can't ask for more than that.

Maybe previous STD treatments have left Pitino immuno-compromised, and he is looking out for himself. Wouldn't that be odd?

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 01:46:32 AM »
They need to drop the 14-day rule, otherwise I don't see how we have a season.  I also don't think you need that rule to ensure appropriate safety measures are in place.  Limit exposure for the players/staff, wear masks whenever possible off-the-court, test regularly, and if you have a positive quarantine that individual for a period.  But no need to shutdown the rest of the team if players are asymptomatic and testing negative.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »
Whether we suspend it now or wait, it will be suspended. This thing spreads insanely well indoors.

That said, it doesn’t really do anything to healthy college kids.  All these college kids and athletes we’ve seen in the news and none of them die and few get seriously ill.

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 12:13:03 PM »
60 minutes report last night on Covid "long-haulers" suggested nasty stuff for people who come through the acute phase okay.

Foad

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:28:09 PM »
60 minutes report last night on Covid "long-haulers" suggested nasty stuff for people who come through the acute phase okay.

Can I assume that when 60 minutes was over you went back to watching reruns of the Lawrence Welk Hour on your VCR? 60 minutes, good grief.