Georgetown 12/20

• 68 replies

Poison

Re: Georgetown 12/20
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2020, 09:28:48 PM »
Strange comment to make about a kid whose biggest fault is being too unselfish. If Williams ever is a hog we probably won that game by 15.

What the hell are you talking about? We had a team full of ball hogs with Mullin. I didn’t think I needed to spell that out, but I was wrong. See, it happens.

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2020, 09:37:27 PM »
You seem pretty excited about Stanley. And posh and champ were just top 75 talent.

Fwiw I think Moore’s got as much talent as anyone we have. He also might have the worst habits and need the most work physically.

There is nothing inherently exciting about any recruit Anderson has brought in.  We aren't going to be getting any Shamorie Ponds type kids.  I happen to like glue guys more than just about any SJU fan, and I go out of my way to credit Anderson for getting those types. However, they don't sell tickets and they don't get fanbases excited.

How Anderson uses Moore and guys like him will determine if he sees a second contract or not.  The Moore types ruined Lavin and Mullin.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2020, 09:40:17 PM »
What the hell are you talking about? We had a team full of ball hogs with Mullin. I didn’t think I needed to spell that out, but I was wrong. See, it happens.

His biggest weakness is not being aggressive enough. He'll never be a ball hog. It's like saying Posh did a good job not being 6'6.

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2020, 01:26:59 PM »
This will likely be the year Anderson breaks his streak of no loseing seasons, with 1 final  8 being whats left to hang his hat on, his recruiting is poor to say the least, this team is no better than his previous team, maybe a bit more lacking. Atkansas held out hope for 8 long yrs waiting on a magic year, how long will St John's tolerate mediocre basketball before a change is made?

Foad

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2020, 02:48:30 PM »
how long will St John's tolerate mediocre basketball before a change is made?

Unfortunately quite a while

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2020, 05:51:06 PM »
how long will St John's tolerate mediocre basketball before a change is made?
Mediocrity would represent an uptick for our moribund program. Mediocre would be mid-pack. 2nd worse BE program on the coattails of Depaul is way worse than that.

Poison

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2020, 09:48:41 PM »
Mediocrity would represent an uptick for our moribund program. Mediocre would be mid-pack. 2nd worse BE program on the coattails of Depaul is way worse than that.

Truth.

It’s also important to recognize that from the moment Lou Carnesecca announced his retirement, the University has guessed wrong every single time on their coach.

The amount of gifted coaches that the University has passed on or just ignored is surprising, to say the least.

IDK if CMA is the answer, but if he isn’t, I hope we go after Jared Grasso. But we wouldn’t, because instead we’ll hire Paul Hewitt.

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2020, 10:43:15 PM »
A program that hires coaches that were fired due to poor results can expect the same results, there's a old saying that goes somthing like do the same thing an expect the same results over an over.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2020, 11:43:12 PM »
A program that hires coaches that were fired due to poor results can expect the same results, there's a old saying that goes somthing like do the same thing an expect the same results over an over.

I think we have a lot in common with Arkansas basketball. Two programs trying to get back to where they were twenty years ago.

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2020, 02:31:58 AM »

Exactly. No one was knocking on Anderson's door. He would be retired right now. Instead he's collecting 2.5 million a year, living rent free in Manhasset, and naive fans think he is amazing. Who has it better than him?

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2020, 11:36:32 AM »
Definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

jr49

« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2020, 03:04:36 PM »
Exactly. No one was knocking on Anderson's door. He would be retired right now. Instead he's collecting 2.5 million a year, living rent free in Manhasset, and naive fans think he is amazing. Who has it better than him?

Does his deal mean he has no ability? I think they hired a pro coach. CM hire without bringing a pro coach along was a ?

« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2020, 03:36:13 PM »
Does his deal mean he has no ability? I think they hired a pro coach. CM hire without bringing a pro coach along was a ?

He is a coach on the tail end of his career without any connection to the Northeast. His base is the south and those kids aren't coming here. He is one of the top paid coaches in our conference and his 3 combined recruiting classes are at the bottom, if not the worst in the Big East. His system is outdated and he doesn't adjust. It is the same thing Nolan Richardson was running and he hasn't coached in 25 years. He isn't going to get any press here. He hasn't moved the needle with the casual fanbase either.

Could we have done worse? Absolutely. We almost had Porter Moser but atleast he has made a sweet 16 in the last decade.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 03:36:51 PM by Redy2Rumble »

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2020, 03:08:30 PM »
It’s less about the coaches we’ve hired and more about an inept administration coupled with a nasty, delusional fanbase.

Jarvis won the Big East my freshman year and our fans were chanting Fire Jarvis by my junior year — a year he made the NCAA tournament with a completely rebuilt team featuring a 5* recruit in Glover and Marcus Hatten. He had a McDonald’s All-American signed with a budget so low he was picking up recruits from Laguardia himself in a station wagon. We had no athletic budget to speak of and the worst facilities of any power 6 team.

But people believed a rumor he was kicked out of Fraser’s living room and others didn’t like him. So we got Norm Roberts. Was that worth it?

Then Lavin, Mullin, and Anderson. Who has done better than Jarvis out of that crew? We should have kept Jarvis. Now we are cursed.

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2020, 10:54:30 PM »
It’s less about the coaches we’ve hired and more about an inept administration coupled with a nasty, delusional fanbase.

Jarvis won the Big East my freshman year and our fans were chanting Fire Jarvis by my junior year — a year he made the NCAA tournament with a completely rebuilt team featuring a 5* recruit in Glover and Marcus Hatten. He had a McDonald’s All-American signed with a budget so low he was picking up recruits from Laguardia himself in a station wagon. We had no athletic budget to speak of and the worst facilities of any power 6 team.

But people believed a rumor he was kicked out of Fraser’s living room and others didn’t like him. So we got Norm Roberts. Was that worth it?

Then Lavin, Mullin, and Anderson. Who has done better than Jarvis out of that crew? We should have kept Jarvis. Now we are cursed.

Jarvis was rubbing alot of people the wrong way. He felt he was above St. John's. He was arrogant and decisive. He stopped recruiting and had a foot out the door. The Jason Fraser rumor is true. He didn't even  acknowledge him in the elevator at MSG when he was there to watch a game. Unfortunately Jarvis didn't get the Washington Wizards job and Jay Wright who was set to be our next coach ends up  at Villanova.

Norm was set up to fail. All Harrington cared about was not making headlines after the strippers fiasco.Lavin and Mullin never got the support they needed to build on some of their success either. It all goes back to the Mom and pop show that was/is the athletic department and the transition of school presidents.

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2020, 01:25:36 AM »

Should have kept Fran
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2020, 01:37:35 PM »
Should have kept Fran

I thought Fran didn’t want to be at St. John’s. Hasn’t he said that he made a mistake going to the school?

Was it just revisionist history, where if he and Harrington could’ve work things out he would’ve stayed much longer?
Cougar O' Malley

Poison

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2020, 01:55:30 PM »
I thought Fran didn’t want to be at St. John’s. Hasn’t he said that he made a mistake going to the school?

Was it just revisionist history, where if he and Harrington could’ve work things out he would’ve stayed much longer?

Harrington ruined our program. Fran had one foot out the door when he was fired, but that’s not why he was fired.

There’s a way to make a point without showing the team your balls.  But in fairness, who has not whipped out their balls only to find that not everyone in the room appreciated the gesture?

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2020, 05:19:15 PM »
Jarvis was rubbing alot of people the wrong way. He felt he was above St. John's. He was arrogant and decisive. He stopped recruiting and had a foot out the door. The Jason Fraser rumor is true. He didn't even  acknowledge him in the elevator at MSG when he was there to watch a game. Unfortunately Jarvis didn't get the Washington Wizards job and Jay Wright who was set to be our next coach ends up  at Villanova.

Norm was set up to fail. All Harrington cared about was not making headlines after the strippers fiasco.Lavin and Mullin never got the support they needed to build on some of their success either. It all goes back to the Mom and pop show that was/is the athletic department and the transition of school presidents.

Everyone rubs St. John’s fans and NYC basketball people the wrong way. We couldn’t even get in Fraser’s living room to make his uncle feel insulted today. After Jarvis we needed to hope nobody really wanted a recruit we liked or that we found a 3* diamond in the rough. I mean look at the timeline for Jarvis. One shot from final four in 99. Big East champs in 00. #3 recruiting class in 01. Made the tournament in 02. Recruiting top 75 talent and even McDonald’s All-Americans with no budget.

It’s simple to me...we keep Jarvis and we reach 10 more tournaments with a few deep runs and no scandal.

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2020, 05:20:07 PM »
Should have kept Fran

Fran wanted to go to a state school. But assuming he would stay, I’d agree.