Mike Anderson's contract

• 53 replies
Mike Anderson's contract
« on: January 19, 2022, 01:50:45 AM »
Why aren't there any details on Anderson's contract anywhere?

Cragg will get burned. It's going to be interesting to see when the new President gets tired of being middle of the pack and brings in his guy.

Poison

Re: Mike Anderson's contract
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2022, 04:32:52 PM »
Why aren't there any details on Anderson's contract anywhere?

Cragg will get burned. It's going to be interesting to see when the new President gets tired of being middle of the pack and brings in his guy.

It will be interesting in the sense that it's what happens at St.John's.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2022, 07:44:33 PM »
https://redstormsports.com/news/2021/5/13/mens-basketball-st-johns-extends-contract-of-mike-anderson.aspx

what do you wanna know? extended to 2026-27 season....

another winning season and nothing will happen....actually, nothing will happen no matter how this season ends.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:02:13 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:29:38 PM »
https://redstormsports.com/news/2021/5/13/mens-basketball-st-johns-extends-contract-of-mike-anderson.aspx

what do you wanna know? extended to 2026-27 season....

another winning season and nothing will happen....actually, nothing will happen no matter how this season ends.

What are the terms of the deal? How much is he getting paid? What is his buyout?

I know nothing will happen because Mike Cragg is an amateur and he has to stand behind his decision.

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2022, 08:39:48 PM »
If this team doesn’t make the tourney he should go. Half court offense and defense haven’t improved since he arrived.

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2022, 08:39:57 PM »
What are the terms of the deal? How much is he getting paid? What is his buyout?

I know nothing will happen because Mike Cragg is an amateur and he has to stand behind his decision.

who knows....at the same time does it really matter? man watching this team is like being in an abusive relationship.

actually id rather be in an abusive relationship....lol
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:41:05 PM by buckeyestorm »

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2022, 08:45:36 PM »
If this team doesn’t make the tourney he should go. Half court offense and defense haven’t improved since he arrived.

i dont know man. my first reaction is yes....but then looking at the continuous cycle of SJU in the past....making the tourny every 4 years with every new coach.....it wont be better. 

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 09:49:33 PM »
i dont know man. my first reaction is yes....but then looking at the continuous cycle of SJU in the past....making the tourny every 4 years with every new coach.....it wont be better. 

I was a St Jean guy a few years ago. I don’t know that he would’ve been the answer, but it should have been a young, hungry coach. We aren’t going to get a quality established coach, we’ll get someone with warts like Lavin or Anderson (and I’d take Lavin back in a heart beat between the two).

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 11:07:21 PM »
who knows....at the same time does it really matter? man watching this team is like being in an abusive relationship.

actually id rather be in an abusive relationship....lol

It definitely matters if they negotiated a buy out. This school cannot afford to fire another coach and pay out  a salary for 3 years.

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2022, 05:14:25 AM »
We can’t just keep firing guys and expecting better. We lead the country in coaching firings over the last 25 years. The only guy that should have been fired in that so is Norm Roberts.

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2022, 09:02:29 AM »
Calling for Anderson's scalp is absurd. Yes, the results this season are disappointing thus far, but we've only lost one game where the team was favored. Partly a product of the non-conference scheduling, which is absolutely worthy of criticism along with last offseason's recruiting haul. But other than Pitt without Julian and the margin of loss last night, we really have not performed much worse than a reasonable outsider would expect to date. Missed opportunities, no doubt, but wins at Creighton, at UConn, or at Providence would literally have been upsets. Recalibrating expectations is in order, crappy as that is. I also feel pretty confident that this team will string together a few wins to make it interesting.

Missing the tournament would totally stink but that is no basis for a coaching change absent a complete collapse down the stretch. I like coach, I like the players he has brought in to date, I like the style of play, and I like the institutional stability he brings to the program. We should be looking to Seton Hall as the blueprint for long term success here, and unfortunately that probably means a longer arc rebuild than we would all prefer, and it means doing whatever it takes to bring in the talent level required to win.

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2022, 09:23:50 AM »
St. John's made their bed and now they're gonna lay in it. When Mike Anderson was hired I compared it to Seth Greenberg at Virginia Tech and that's pretty much what we've been so far. We'll be 18-20 win team that's fringe NCAA tournament with a consistent floor and limited ceiling.

This was Mike Anderson calling card and why Arkansas ultimately moved on from him. I think the school is ok with that which is why they gave him the extension to cement that floor.

No shot does the school fire Anderson. Have to hope that recruiting improves. I think we have enough talent to win but I've been very disappointed in distribution of minutes and rotations this year. I'm concerned players are losing faith.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2022, 11:52:23 AM »
I’m not up for firing coaches, but I’d be very happy with Pitino if he could commit to 5 years here. That’s the only sure way to right this ship.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2022, 12:34:27 PM »
I don't think anyone expects Anderson to be dismissed this year. The reality here is that Cragg made his bed and we'll suffer as fans. It was such an uninspiring hire. It was a safety net. It's how St. John's operates. It's a systemic issue. The reason some of us have such a short leash is because we know how this story goes. We are irrelevant under this coaching staff.

This was his year though. Champaigne in year 3 along with Posh and a roster of his guys. All we heard was how they upgraded. The truth is he doesn't know how to even use the guys he has in place. Hes so in love with his philosophy that he never adjusts and doesn't allow players to excel. His rotations and sub patterns are mind boggling.

Foad

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2022, 12:48:21 PM »
I like coach, I like the players he has brought in to date, I like the style of play, and I like the institutional stability he brings to the program.

Anderson stinks: he's a lazy recruiter and an atrocious in game coach whose vaunted style of play (aka "the system") hasn't worked since the dawn of the internet. The players are mediocre except for Posh: JC is a one trick pony - the only league he'll play in is in Serbia; Wusu will be good, eventually; the rest of them are cast-offs from the island of misfit toys. The only reason he brings "institutional stability" is because dopey Mike Cragg gave him what's essentially a lifetime contract. Imagine that you're making the most important decision of your career and you call Jeff Capel for advice, and then even worse, you follow it. Too bad he couldn't get Cherokee Parks or Sheldon Williams on the phone, things might have turned out differently. Oh well. On the bright side his original hot takes Bobby Hurley and Porter Moser are both languishing in 9th place, so I suppose that's some cold comfort.

OTOH I agree that you can't fire him. Not because he doesn't deserve it, he does, he stinks, he should never have been hired. But they can't get rid of another coach - it'd be an  admission of incompetence that Cragg doesn't have the stomach for: he'd have to resign in disgrace and the program would become more of a laughingstock than it is currently.

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 03:46:27 PM »
I don't think anyone expects Anderson to be dismissed this year. The reality here is that Cragg made his bed and we'll suffer as fans. It was such an uninspiring hire. It was a safety net. It's how St. John's operates. It's a systemic issue. The reason some of us have such a short leash is because we know how this story goes. We are irrelevant under this coaching staff.

This was his year though. Champaigne in year 3 along with Posh and a roster of his guys. All we heard was how they upgraded. The truth is he doesn't know how to even use the guys he has in place. Hes so in love with his philosophy that he never adjusts and doesn't allow players to excel. His rotations and sub patterns are mind boggling.
+1,000

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2022, 12:37:03 PM »
I’m not up for firing coaches, but I’d be very happy with Pitino if he could commit to 5 years here. That’s the only sure way to right this ship.

Should have kept Lavin. Should have kept Mullin. Needed to fix the problems rather than blow it up.

Anderson will be consistent which is what I think the school wanted. Never be bad and potentially could be good.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2022, 12:56:21 PM »
Should have kept Lavin. Should have kept Mullin. Needed to fix the problems rather than blow it up.

Anderson will be consistent which is what I think the school wanted. Never be bad and potentially could be good.
Should have never hired Lavin, should have never hired Mullin, should have never hired Anderson, should have never hired Roberts, should have never hired Jarvis, should have never hired Mahoney.

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2022, 01:39:15 PM »

Consistent in what sense? This isn't the young Arkansas guy. It's year 3 now and no tournament with a mediocre class coming minus Champ and eventual transfers.

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2022, 10:10:13 PM »
We don’t even pressure on defense. He talked about 40 minutes of hell when he was hired. 40 seconds maybe.