Mike Anderson's contract

• 53 replies
Re: Mike Anderson's contract
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 12:42:52 AM »
We don’t even pressure on defense. He talked about 40 minutes of hell when he was hired. 40 seconds maybe.

No pressure at all against Creighton.

Only pressed during the final minutes against Seton Hall minus Bryce Aiken.

It's baffling that Mike Anderson did not use a clear advantage on an opponent and attack it. It almost feels like he has checked out.

The scouting is incomprehensible. What does TJ Celevland really do?

Marillac

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2022, 11:55:10 AM »
No pressure at all against Creighton.

Only pressed during the final minutes against Seton Hall minus Bryce Aiken.

It's baffling that Mike Anderson did not use a clear advantage on an opponent and attack it. It almost feels like he has checked out.

The scouting is incomprehensible. What does TJ Celevland really do?

We are the least athletic team in the Big East by a wide margin. This is also the least athletic team we’ve had a St. John’s since I’ve been following.

Champagnie can’t guard anyone. He has a very laid back style on defense. Posh is an animal. Wusu is somewhat too although he’s limited in quickness. Wheeler is a terrific athlete bit frail. It just seems we don’t have guys suited for the style.

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
The season is going as realistic fans expected, some fans were unrealistically hyped with high expectations, is recruiting good enough to improve future results?

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2022, 11:36:34 PM »
The season is going as realistic fans expected, some fans were unrealistically hyped with high expectations, is recruiting good enough to improve future results?

I think it was realistic to think we would be on the bubble after last season and the experienced transfers that were brought in.

Coburn averaged 15 a game with very good shooting #s in a solid conference and Stef Smith scored double-digits and even beat St. John’s with a good game. Both are very experienced too. They’ve done next to nothing.

Mathis bas been good. Soriano has been solid and looks promising.

That’s a lot of experience and production to bring in. It certainly looked like an upgrade on paper.

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 07:30:24 AM »
The biggest thing is there don’t seem to be any team wide improvements. Sure some individual players have gotten better but it hasn’t worked out to improve the group.

It’s reasonable to expect an NCAA tournament berth or at least be on the bubble when you have the freshman/defensive player of the year and the conference leading scorer both returning.

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2022, 11:08:56 AM »
 Anderson overachieved in his first two years but this year hasnt gone anywhere. dead food. i dont think keeping any other coaching options would have resulted in trip to march madness though.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 06:26:34 AM by rileycoll2 »

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2022, 03:24:20 PM »
New to the board.
I don't think Mike Anderson will be fired regardless of his record this season. 

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2022, 05:04:34 PM »
New to the board.
Is your screen name related to the Johnnies basketball fortunes lo these many years? Agree he goes nowhere after this season but if recruiting doesn't pick up and he duplicates this season next year I could see him being gone after next season.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2022, 07:48:24 PM »
Is your screen name related to the Johnnies basketball fortunes lo these many years? Agree he goes nowhere after this season but if recruiting doesn't pick up and he duplicates this season next year I could see him being gone after next season.

LOL!  No my screen name is in tribute to the legendary Sex Pistols singer aka John Lydon.
Yes, if this year's results are duplicated next season coupled with mediocre recruiting  he will definitely be on the hot seat.
However, remember that some of the losses this year were due to key player absences.  I am not a fan of coach Anderson's in game coaching and substitutions but he gets paid the big bucks and I am a casual sofa coach.
This discussion always takes place when St. John's underperforms which is a perennial issue. :)
Over on the redmen.com board it has been the topic du jour forever.  I don't give much credence to what I read since it is the same characters who post the same thing daily.
Most of them are innocent observers to our annual train wreck but a few are bona fide sociopaths like Ohio Fan who has universal veto authority and Beast of the East who forensically tries to figure out personal information about you to leverage his influence over the Ohio misfit. It is almost comical to read their comments blasting anyone not in their tiny circle of friends.
I rarely have posted there because you never know what side of the loyalty issue they take as they turn on the team, coaches and each other depending on the teams performance.
I checked this site last year and early this season and thought it was abandoned because  JJ was a topic this Fall on redmen.  I was happy to see posters coming on again because St. John's fans deserve more than the stymied viewpoints that has become redmen.com.
I always enjoyed reading fans like Marillac and Fun and few others but it appears they fell victim the Ohio nut job.

« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2022, 05:40:31 PM »
New to the board.

I think best case scenario is some recruits come in, leads to a decent season next year and he resigns.

I didn’t follow Anderson before so I don’t know what worked then, but it ain’t working now. This system would work well with Lavins recruits btw.

« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2022, 07:21:20 PM »
I think best case scenario is some recruits come in, leads to a decent season next year and he resigns.

I didn’t follow Anderson before so I don’t know what worked then, but it ain’t working now. This system would work well with Lavins recruits btw.

If both Champagnie and Wheeler leave and no front court replacement is signed who can make an immediate impact I don't see much better results next season because we wouldn't have forwards who can score up front.  Schools like Rutgers and Seton Hall are outrecruiting us for talented front court players.
I don't think he is capable of closing on 4 or 5 star players and 2 and 3 star players will keep St. John's in the lower half of the league.
If he goes four seasons without an NCAA tournament bid he should be fired.

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2022, 11:26:27 PM »
LOL!  No my screen name is in tribute to the legendary Sex Pistols singer aka John Lydon.
Yes, if this year's results are duplicated next season coupled with mediocre recruiting  he will definitely be on the hot seat.
However, remember that some of the losses this year were due to key player absences.  I am not a fan of coach Anderson's in game coaching and substitutions but he gets paid the big bucks and I am a casual sofa coach.
This discussion always takes place when St. John's underperforms which is a perennial issue. :)
Over on the redmen.com board it has been the topic du jour forever.  I don't give much credence to what I read since it is the same characters who post the same thing daily.
Most of them are innocent observers to our annual train wreck but a few are bona fide sociopaths like Ohio Fan who has universal veto authority and Beast of the East who forensically tries to figure out personal information about you to leverage his influence over the Ohio misfit. It is almost comical to read their comments blasting anyone not in their tiny circle of friends.
I rarely have posted there because you never know what side of the loyalty issue they take as they turn on the team, coaches and each other depending on the teams performance.
I checked this site last year and early this season and thought it was abandoned because  JJ was a topic this Fall on redmen.  I was happy to see posters coming on again because St. John's fans deserve more than the stymied viewpoints that has become redmen.com.
I always enjoyed reading fans like Marillac and Fun and few others but it appears they fell victim the Ohio nut job.

Welcome to the board.

God forbid you have a difference of opinion on Yesmen.com. They were so busy up Mike Anderson's ass, acting like he was a program changer that the site became unbearable. Several of us have been beating the drum here since the beginning that Anderson wasn't a good fit and his best years have long past him.

Anderson will 100% get a 4th year and probably even a 5th year. St. John's hoops will fade further into oblivion. Our only hope is Father Shanley stepping up.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 01:04:25 AM by Redy2Rumble »

« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2022, 02:05:28 PM »
I'm of the opinion that Bollocks is one of the greatest rock and roll records of all-time.

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2022, 02:43:06 PM »
Several of us have been beating the drum here since the beginning that Anderson wasn't a good fit and his best years have long past him.
Several of us have been beating the drum here since the beginning that the treatment of our "so called fans" on this board towards our Babe Ruth figure during his coaching tenure was deplorable, disgraceful, disgusting and embarrassing.

If Cfc doesn't win the Be tournament this season...I'm expecting apologies to the legend pronto.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 03:04:03 PM by carmineabbatiello »

Foad

« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2022, 04:24:40 PM »

I've never heard of "Marillac" but that Fun guy was hilarious.

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2022, 06:02:32 PM »

Sadly, they banned every poster that made redmen.com readable. It went completely downhill in 2020 when three Woke "moderators" began a purge of fans that had expressed moderate political views on a non-basketball thread related to the upcoming presidential election.
From that point on those fans were targeted on the basketball forum and the slightest dissent from the norm of opinions was edited or deleted.
Ironically, the Woke girls there were offended by posters like the greatest humorist of all time on a college basketball forum, Fun, while protecting the integrity of a site called "REDMEN". 
Sadly, the ones responsible for turning redmen.com into a hermit kingdom were mods like OhioFan, Redmennorth and Lawmanfan.  These Woke mods have a few Stasi storm troopers who regularly report posters. The leader of Stasi is a pompous blowhard named Beast of the East who has a double personality. The result is they basically all agree with each other and regurgitate the same topics of blame to enforce those beliefs.
Kudos to the owner of this site for allowing a more open discussion. 
Finally, those who failed to see the humor in Fun's posts on redmen.com missed their relation to the comedic management of the St. John's basketball program over the last 20 years.
If you want to really make the redmen.com mods heads explode request that FOAD write a weekly editorial here on JJ. 

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 06:06:16 PM by Johnny Rotten »

« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2022, 11:17:56 PM »
The two things I like best about Doc are his sense of modesty and his compassion for his fellow man.

« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2022, 02:55:07 AM »
Several of us have been beating the drum here since the beginning that the treatment of our "so called fans" on this board towards our Babe Ruth figure during his coaching tenure was deplorable, disgraceful, disgusting and embarrassing.

If Cfc doesn't win the Be tournament this season...I'm expecting apologies to the legend pronto.

These "fans" won't hold Anderson, a head coach for 20 + years to the same standard they held Mullin. They really believe he's out there working hard on the recruiting trail LOL

Marillac

« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2022, 11:04:26 PM »

The RM moderators run a kindergarten. OhioFan is a bag of sh*t. I was banned once for saying something slightly unkind to Moose — who is a friend in real life.

Then I was suspended for having the audacity to talk back to another moderator during my “second chance.” OhioFan sent me some impossibly c*nty, condescending message about shots at moderators not being tolerated. He actually wrote that the moderators had a special privilege above other posters.  He added that it was “not open for debate.” The only response there was to tell him to fvck himself and that I hoped he died.

I have an issue with authority to begin with, so following orders from volunteer hall monitors like that is just not possible for me.

They lock threads if they anticipate it going off the rails. WTF is that? What kind of remedy is that?

« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2022, 12:40:06 AM »
The RM moderators run a kindergarten. OhioFan is a bag of sh*t. I was banned once for saying something slightly unkind to Moose — who is a friend in real life.

Then I was suspended for having the audacity to talk back to another moderator during my “second chance.” OhioFan sent me some impossibly c*nty, condescending message about shots at moderators not being tolerated. He actually wrote that the moderators had a special privilege above other posters.  He added that it was “not open for debate.” The only response there was to tell him to fvck himself and that I hoped he died.

I have an issue with authority to begin with, so following orders from volunteer hall monitors like that is just not possible for me.

They lock threads if they anticipate it going off the rails. WTF is that? What kind of remedy is that?
They should have just put you in time out. LOL