Rick Pitino

• 25 replies
Rick Pitino
« on: January 24, 2022, 12:24:00 PM »
At some point, we need to stop going to the bargain bin for coaches. We act all big market and such with the basketball budget each year compared to other sports in our school with nothing to show for in tangible NCAA tourney runs or at a minimum exciting competitiveness and recruiting. Iona is 16-3 right now with Rick Pitino. Scandal or no scandal- it was worth trying for him and even if he was here for no more than 5 years he can develop a staff etc.,  trusted successor. First and foremost he could make us relevant again.

Why is the admin not on the phone with the boosters to put out a competitive offer for a real coach? If we win and make runs in March or for top recruits the money will be made. We are continuously stuck in mediocrity and it is unacceptable.

Re: Rick Pitino
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 07:55:55 PM »
At some point, we need to stop going to the bargain bin for coaches. We act all big market and such with the basketball budget each year compared to other sports in our school with nothing to show for in tangible NCAA tourney runs or at a minimum exciting competitiveness and recruiting. Iona is 16-3 right now with Rick Pitino. Scandal or no scandal- it was worth trying for him and even if he was here for no more than 5 years he can develop a staff etc.,  trusted successor. First and foremost he could make us relevant again.

Why is the admin not on the phone with the boosters to put out a competitive offer for a real coach? If we win and make runs in March or for top recruits the money will be made. We are continuously stuck in mediocrity and it is unacceptable.

They could've hired Calipari, Pitino, Wright, D. Hurley (meh). This University always thinks small and with a holier than thou attitude.

The only way Pitino is in the conversation is if Shanley gets involved. Amateur Mike is still looking through his Duke rolodex for Jon Scheyer.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 04:15:21 PM »
The only way to right this ship for sure is hiring Pitino. The guy always wins wherever he goes. It’s an automatic Elite Eight in 4 years.

A higher risk-reward guy would be Chris Mack who will almost certainly be let go at Louisville. His run at Xavier was really impressive…even if he did inherit a well-oiled machine.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2022, 07:23:20 AM »
The only way to right this ship for sure is hiring Pitino. The guy always wins wherever he goes. It’s an automatic Elite Eight in 4 years.

A higher risk-reward guy would be Chris Mack who will almost certainly be let go at Louisville. His run at Xavier was really impressive…even if he did inherit a well-oiled machine.

What’s the incentive to come to St John’s?

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2022, 11:51:22 AM »
What’s the incentive to come to St John’s?

Good question, Baldi. The opportunity to lead one more team to the Final Four or Elite Eight? To get his son setup for future? Finish in the Big East where he started? Resurrect a once proud program to a level several coaches have failed to do?

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »

Good question, Baldi. The opportunity to lead one more team to the Final Four or Elite Eight? To get his son setup for future? Finish in the Big East where he started? Resurrect a once proud program to a level several coaches have failed to do?

Iona has a $10 million buyout in his contract. Got to think that’s his last job

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 09:28:03 PM »
Hire Chris Mack tomorrow
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2022, 02:36:40 PM »
The 10 Mil buyout was the first two years of the contract. Maybe going back to first major conference Rick coached in will lure him into Big East. I think he might try the MD job if they pursue him.

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 11:31:06 AM »
Per Zags, Pitino negotiating a life time contract with the Gaels. Have to come up with a new college coach to steal now. Also, a quick fu to Braz.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 11:32:03 AM by Basketball Jones »

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 11:35:27 AM »
Gotta think that Rick will look to relocate the Gaels from the MAAC if Ensor screws up league expansion.

Poison

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 01:55:23 PM »
Maybe Iona will join the Big East?

It would be good for the conference to have a presence in the NY area.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 04:30:34 PM »

hahahaha

sju89tr

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2022, 08:46:33 PM »

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2022, 03:38:19 PM »

The last, and only team, that will ever be added to the Big East is Dayton.  Pitino is 70 years old and has an easy lifetime job at Iona where he may go to the NCAA tournament every year.  He has nothing to prove. He's a multi millionaire and will retire to his horse farm in Kentucky when he decides to stop coaching.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:39:27 PM by Johnny Rotten »

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2022, 11:10:11 AM »

Pitino is a reprehensible sleaze and I want no part of him at St. John's. This is all moot anyway as there is no chance whatsoever that St. John's would hire him.

Marillac

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 12:38:05 AM »
Pitino is a reprehensible sleaze and I want no part of him at St. John's. This is all moot anyway as there is no chance whatsoever that St. John's would hire him.

Why because he banged some who-ah in a restaurant? Aren’t Catholics all about second changes and forgiveness?

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 10:32:30 AM »

The buyout is $5mm after this season and he will pay it himself if the right opportunity comes around.

If he has a chance to finish his career in NYC and getting the St. John's program turned around, he will not turn it down...

Foad

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 04:47:29 PM »
If he has a chance to finish his career in NYC and getting the St. John's program turned around, he will not turn it down...

Maybe. But if I'm Rick Pitino - and who's to say I'm not - the capstone of my nearly great career would be telling stupid St John's to suck it when they came hat in hand begging me to save their dying program. That's the baller move of the kind of a baller who bangs his assistant coach's wife on the floor of a restaurant in front of the assistant coach and then sues the assistant coach's wife for slander for mentioning it to the assistant coach ballers.

And meanwhile the greatest coach of his generation is languishing up the road in West Hartford. If I'm Cragg - and who's to say I'm not - I call Walt Dropo, ask for recommendations.

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2022, 07:36:40 PM »
Maybe. But if I'm Rick Pitino - and who's to say I'm not - the capstone of my nearly great career would be telling stupid St John's to suck it when they came hat in hand begging me to save their dying program. That's the baller move of the kind of a baller who bangs his assistant coach's wife on the floor of a restaurant in front of the assistant coach and then sues the assistant coach's wife for slander for mentioning it to the assistant coach ballers.

And meanwhile the greatest coach of his generation is languishing up the road in West Hartford. If I'm Cragg - and who's to say I'm not - I call Walt Dropo, ask for recommendations.

The 70 year-old sleazeball couldn’t even beat Rider. Good thing St Johns is smart enough to stay clear of this guy.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2022, 09:22:19 PM »
Great coaching by your guy tonight. Pitino was our Coach, Posh definitely not leaving the floor crying. Enjoy the NIT.