Good Thing We Fired Mullin

• 41 replies

Marillac

Good Thing We Fired Mullin
« on: February 27, 2022, 10:02:03 PM »
And Lavin and Jarvis.

Need to break the cycle. Just hire Pitino.

Re: Good Thing We Fired Mullin
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 09:08:34 AM »
I'd bring back Lavin if that were an option
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 10:46:58 AM »
If not Pitino, get Sean Miller. He’s about be next coach at Pitt.

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 11:42:13 AM »
We should have never fired Lavin.

Anderson isn't going anywhere. If he has a bad 2023, then maybe.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 01:34:50 PM »
We should have never fired Lavin.

Anderson isn't going anywhere. If he has a bad 2023, then maybe.

We shouldn’t fire Anderson unless we are ready to break the cycle of hiring the same level of coach. Pitino is the only guarantee out there.

I’d also add Calhoun to that, not he’s a decade older than Pitino.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 05:56:27 PM »
We shouldn’t fire Anderson unless we are ready to break the cycle of hiring the same level of coach. Pitino is the only guarantee out there.

I’d also add Calhoun to that, not he’s a decade older than Pitino.

Pitino would be a disaster for multiple reasons. Not happening.

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 06:21:12 PM »
Why would Pitino be a disaster?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »
Pitino would be a disaster for multiple reasons. Not happening.

Why the f*ck would Pitino be a disaster? This is the dumbest sh*t I’ve ever seen posted.

He wins literally everywhere he goes. Enough of this short-sighted bs. Our fans go out of their way to find problems. We are a f*cking joke and should be honored if someone of his caliber even considered us.

Anderson is worse than both Lavin and Mullin. There will be a mass exodus at the end of the season once again.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2022, 09:21:35 PM »
Why the f*ck would Pitino be a disaster? This is the dumbest sh*t I’ve ever seen posted.

He wins literally everywhere he goes. Enough of this short-sighted bs. Our fans go out of their way to find problems. We are a f*cking joke and should be honored if someone of his caliber even considered us.

Anderson is worse than both Lavin and Mullin. There will be a mass exodus at the end of the season once again.

I know you have an affinity for hiring Rick Pitino and I understand that he is one of the top 10 coaches of the past 40 years BUT can we at St. John's ever hire a coach without so many warts and other defects as we have since Carnesecca retired?
As for Anderson being worse than Lavin or Mullin, Shirley you jest! 
Steve Lavin may not be popular with many for various reasons but let this sink in:
Lavin coached only 11 years.
In those 11 years he took his teams to EIGHT (8) NCAA tournaments and TWO (2) NIT.
In other words, 90% of his teams went to post season and he coached when the Big East was really Big.

In twenty years of coaching Anderson has guided his teams to 9 NCAA and 3 NIT appearances.
Chris Mullin never had a winning season.
I would take a Steve Lavin over any of the recent coaching disasters. Anderson is not one if them but certainly not a difference maker.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2022, 10:58:47 PM »
I know you have an affinity for hiring Rick Pitino and I understand that he is one of the top 10 coaches of the past 40 years BUT can we at St. John's ever hire a coach without so many warts and other defects as we have since Carnesecca retired?
Steve Lavin may not be popular with many for various reasons but let this sink in:
In those 11 years he took his teams to EIGHT (8) NCAA tournaments and TWO (2) NIT.
In other words, 90% of his teams went to post season and he coached when the Big East was really Big.

In twenty years of coaching Anderson has guided his teams to 9 NCAA and 3 NIT appearances.
I would take a Steve Lavin over any of the recent coaching disasters. Anderson is not one if them but certainly not a difference maker.

Mullin went 21-13 his last year here.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2022, 01:19:59 AM »

Except Mullin didn't inherit a program like UCLA, Missouri, or Arkansas. He walked into low budget mom & pop St.John's with a roster that had the great Amar Alibegovic and Felix Balamou, while learning on the job without an athletic director or any sembelance of competence from the athletic administration and made as many NCAA tourneys as Lavin did with his own guys  and is about to one up Anderson.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:25:01 AM by Redy2Rumble »

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2022, 04:03:44 AM »

What warts does Pitino have on the court?

Anderson was just fired from his last job and they upgraded exponentially as I predicted. His style doesn’t work anymore and he can’t recruit in this era.

I don’t care if the coach at St. John’s kills people in a hole in his basement and wears their faces as masks as long as he wins. College sports are filled with disgusting people.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2022, 08:08:24 AM »
Arizona might win national championship with Sean Miller's roster. Whatever we do we need to open the checkbook.

Robert Jones from Norfolk State is an interesting name too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2022, 10:37:14 AM »

Anderson was just fired from his last job and they upgraded exponentially as I predicted. His style doesn’t work anymore and he can’t recruit in this era.

I don’t care if the coach at St. John’s kills people in a hole in his basement and wears their faces as masks as long as he wins. College sports are filled with disgusting people.

LOL...that would be the one guy who does turn the program around into a top 25...a successful college basketball coach with a John Wayne Gacy second life...that would be a St Johns story.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2022, 12:01:01 PM »

Thankfully you don't represent St. John's current leadership. Absolutely NO to a 70 year-old cheating sleazeball.

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2022, 12:05:16 PM »
Except Mullin didn't inherit a program like UCLA, Missouri, or Arkansas. He walked into low budget mom & pop St.John's with a roster that had the great Amar Alibegovic and Felix Balamou, while learning on the job without an athletic director or any sembelance of competence from the athletic administration and made as many NCAA tourneys as Lavin did with his own guys  and is about to one up Anderson.

He made the play-in game. We didn't win that game to actually get "in".
We finished 7th with an 8-10 Big East record that year. We probably didn't even deserve the play-in game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 12:05:56 PM by Proud Alumn »

Foad

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2022, 12:36:39 PM »
He made the play-in game. We didn't win that game to actually get "in". We finished 7th with an 8-10 Big East record that year. We probably didn't even deserve the play-in game.

The NCAA seems to think that the first four games comprise tournament games.

"When selecting the teams for the NCAA tournament, the Selection Committee ranks every team from No. 1 through No. 68. In its current format, the First Four consists of eight teams — the four lowest-seeded automatic qualifiers, and the four lowest-seeded at-large teams. Each subset plays against itself (i.e., at-large teams face at-large teams, and automatic qualifiers face automatic qualifiers)."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-09/when-did-march-madness-expand-68-teams

Maybe send them an email and let them know they're in error.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2022, 12:50:13 PM »
The NCAA seems to think that the first four games comprise tournament games.

"When selecting the teams for the NCAA tournament, the Selection Committee ranks every team from No. 1 through No. 68. In its current format, the First Four consists of eight teams — the four lowest-seeded automatic qualifiers, and the four lowest-seeded at-large teams. Each subset plays against itself (i.e., at-large teams face at-large teams, and automatic qualifiers face automatic qualifiers)."

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2019-01-09/when-did-march-madness-expand-68-teams

Maybe send them an email and let them know they're in error.

"The First Four is a play-in round of the NCAA Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments. It consists of games contested between teams holding the four lowest-seeded bids and the four lowest-seeded at-large bids, which determine the last four teams to qualify for the 64-team bracket that plays the first round."

See the word "in" up there. As in "play-in"? See the words "first round"? The play-in games happen before the first round. They determine who qualifies for the first round. Mullin didn't actually get us in to the first round.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2022, 01:38:36 PM »
He made the play-in game. We didn't win that game to actually get "in".
We finished 7th with an 8-10 Big East record that year. We probably didn't even deserve the play-in game.

We made the tourney and our name was picked.
Has Anderson even done that? Will he do it next year? No.

What's the point in your argument though? Shouldn't a coach without 20 + years be able to achieve more than a first time head coach?

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2022, 01:41:14 PM »
Thankfully you don't represent St. John's current leadership. Absolutely NO to a 70 year-old cheating sleazeball.

Well then let’s lose for another 20 years because you don’t want “sleazeball.” Go back to RM with the rest of the old, holier than thou p*ssies who want to bury their heads in the sand about the college athletics. Iona is a Catholic school to btw.

Pitino wouldn’t even consider us because of fans like you.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2022, 01:42:32 PM by Marillac »