Coaching and Recruiting Intangibles

• 6 replies
Coaching and Recruiting Intangibles
« on: March 26, 2022, 12:56:02 AM »
When reflecting on the NCAA tournament and St Peters a lot comes to mind. We are more talented then they are and we blew them out this year yet we don’t even get an NIT and they are in Elite 8. And the same problem has dogged this program for years. We just don’t know how to finish and win in crunch time. It’s like Choke U. Missed free throws and silly turnovers have cost us games against blue chip teams.

When searching for our next coach hopefully within a couple years we have to keep that in mind. Halloway knows how to win . He did it as a player not so long ago and his kids even though they are less talented are tough and have that battle in them. He coached on decent SHU teams and has seen winning first hand at a high level. We aren’t getting him but we have to find someone similar.

We have had such dysfunction in this program I’d like to see the next coach be an experienced winner and recruit blue chips but also those tough players that are going to hit those free throws and not make dumb decisions at end of games. A lot can be seen on the HS tape and leadership qualities.

Would you all agree ?

Re: Coaching and Recruiting Intangibles
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 12:45:20 PM »
I think what SPU has accomplished is extraordinary but let's also remember that St. John's beat them by 19 points and played in one of the top 5 basketball conferences in the country this year.
Holloway has a record of 10-22, 18-12, 14-11 and 19-11 before this tournament run.
One point you raised is very valid regarding this year's SJ team and that is free throwing. We sucked...period. It likely cost the team 2 or 3 games. 
I think Mike Anderson will have to make the NCAA tournament next year to retain his job.  In addition, he will have to recruit a top 25 recruiting class also because recruiting has been mediocre thus far except for Posh and Champagnie out of high school.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 07:19:49 PM »
Game after game our opponent took more free throws than us and made them at a better clip than us.

This sad season's last and final disappointment was a microcosm of the entire season. Nova hit 17 of 20 from the line 85%.  We shot 7 for 11 63%. In a 1 point loss you need not look much further.

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 01:39:02 AM »
The reality is Mike Anderson's system doesn't work without elite athletes. He needs guys that are long with bounce. Have you seen anyone on the floor during his tenure like that aside from maybe Isaiah Moore?  That should tell you about his recruiting ability around here.

His defense and offense are predicated on turnovers. That's the reason his teams always lead in pace. The thing is it isn't the 90's, most teams have 4 or even 5 guys that can handle the ball and it's what leads to so many open shots and points in the paint plus the stagnation in halfcourt on the offensive end.

I'd like our next coach to be Kyle Neptune. Obviously Shaheen won't be around when the administration is ready and I think in a few years Kyle will be taking the leap into a major head coaching gig.He had Fodham at .500 in his first season... That in itself is a monumental task.

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 11:54:30 AM »
The reality is Mike Anderson's system doesn't work without elite athletes. He needs guys that are long with bounce. Have you seen anyone on the floor during his tenure like that aside from maybe Isaiah Moore?  That should tell you about his recruiting ability around here.

His defense and offense are predicated on turnovers. That's the reason his teams always lead in pace. The thing is it isn't the 90's, most teams have 4 or even 5 guys that can handle the ball and it's what leads to so many open shots and points in the paint plus the stagnation in halfcourt on the offensive end.

I'd like our next coach to be Kyle Neptune. Obviously Shaheen won't be around when the administration is ready and I think in a few years Kyle will be taking the leap into a major head coaching gig.He had Fodham at .500 in his first season... That in itself is a monumental task.
EGGSACTLY!

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 04:36:33 PM »

Posh, but he’s miles ahead of anyone else defensively.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2022, 05:19:58 PM »
Posh, but he’s miles ahead of anyone else defensively.

Posh is a relentless defender. He doesn't back down. He can play any pg in the country one on one, but putting him in a frenetic zone constantly doesn't highlight his ability.