Coach Lavin to University of San Diego

• 8 replies
Coach Lavin to University of San Diego
« on: April 07, 2022, 09:41:55 AM »
I hope he wins and wins big there. Big mistake for us not giving him some more time here. We are so far away from contention and meaningful games to be a post-season team its laughable.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/07/ex-st-johns-coach-steve-lavin-to-take-over-san-diego-program/

Re: Coach Lavin to University of San Diego
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 09:48:34 AM »
He’s already comparing Marcellus Earlington to a mix between Jason Kapono, Tevor Ariza, and D’angelo Harrison.

Good for Lav, I’ll be rooting for him.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 11:19:53 AM »
I hope he wins and wins big there. Big mistake for us not giving him some more time here. We are so far away from contention and meaningful games to be a post-season team its laughable.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/07/ex-st-johns-coach-steve-lavin-to-take-over-san-diego-program/

Lavin returning to coaching at a mid major in the land of mellow extroverted assholes in Bermuda shorts sounds about right.

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 11:36:44 AM »
He’s already comparing Marcellus Earlington to a mix between Jason Kapono, Tevor Ariza, and D’angelo Harrison.

Good for Lav, I’ll be rooting for him.

Agree. I always liked Lav. We should not have fired him. Best of luck to him.

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 03:39:03 PM »
Agree. I always liked Lav. We should not have fired him. Best of luck to him.

Didn't recruit much after his first outstanding class. I understand the cancer  battle played a factor. He just never filled in the gaps where the team needed. It was more than just rumors that he wasn't working as hard.

2 NCAA's
0 tourney wins
1-5 Big East Tournament
St. John's was ambition enough to let him go and try to elevate.

Now it's accept mediocrity during the Mike Anderson era.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 03:41:07 PM »
Didn't recruit much after his first outstanding class. I understand the cancer  battle played a factor. He just never filled in the gaps where the team needed. It was more than just rumors that he wasn't working as hard.

2 NCAA's
0 tourney wins
1-5 Big East Tournament

He had three players committed that turned out to be good players who we lost after we fired him.

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 07:26:14 AM »

2 NCAA's
0 tourney wins
1-5 Big East Tournament

Best the school has been in the last 20 years. He was 81-53 and had a winning record in conference 40-30. The school should have stepped in and helped step up instead of driving out. I loved Lav. He battled some heavy personal stuff here and he wasn't perfect but we could have made it work.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 09:32:53 AM »
Best the school has been in the last 20 years. He was 81-53 and had a winning record in conference 40-30. The school should have stepped in and helped step up instead of driving out. I loved Lav. He battled some heavy personal stuff here and he wasn't perfect but we could have made it work.

I like Lav, enjoyed those years, and agree we didn’t do our best to make it work with him. I’ll be rooting for him to have major success at SD.  But those numbers don’t look as good when you add year 2 into it. 13-19, 6-12 in BE. And that was to be expected when you have a completely new roster. So if CMA doesn’t breakthrough this year it will be clear who had more success. But until this year is over I’m not ready to say Lav did a better job. It took him till Dlos senior year to get back to the Dance.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Foad

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2022, 07:04:46 PM »
I loved Lav. He battled some heavy personal stuff here

Yeah, he ain't heavy, he's my brothel.

Lavin is mentally infirm and should not be permitted around children. He recruited during his mercifully short tenure at least one mass murderer, several thugs and various miscreants, some of which came to him via surreptitious transcript hand-offs in desolate parking lots. OTOH he bought you a slice of pizza, so there's that.