Jay Wright to Retire

• 64 replies
Re: Jay Wright to Retire
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
This post is typical of the unrealistic ignorant expectations of some of our fan base. You seemed to miss that I made my comment about St John's from the 1970s onward. We were never "synonymous with perennial success" at the level of any blue blood program during that period. We were known as a good, scrappy program with decent levels of success that hit a high point with the Final Four appearance. In the 1970s we made it past the first round of the NCAA Tournament just once. In the 1980s, the heyday for the program for the last 50 years, we made it past the second round of the NCAA Tournament twice.
It's nice that we won a bunch of games in the 1910s and 1920s, and couple of championships during World War II, but that in no way made us a national power in the 1970s on.
We absolutely have made some bad hiring decisions the last 30 years. But this program cannot change to a championship contender in a season. Not with the awful facilities and lack of major alumni funding. We can become a respectable winning team however, and the fans should give Anderson the chance and the time to build us up again, and Cragg the time to improve our facilities to support a winning program.

I think that I will actually call you Proud Mary Contrary from now on.
YOU are the one going back to the 70's and using NCAA tournament participation and wins as a barometer of success.
Maybe you were only 12 back then and were too busy pulling your little Johnson in the basement to the stolen Playboy magazine to realize at one time only 24, 32, eventually 48 teams etc., were invited. Yet, in just the Carnesecca era that began in the 60's when only 24-32 teams were invited,
St. John's went to post season every year with around 18 NCAA tournament appearances.
No losing seasons during that era alone!!
Prior to Lou Carnesecca and under Lapchick only 24 teams were able to qualify and remember St. John's was an independent for a long time. The NIT was almost as popular as the NCAA so you can't discount all those appearances.
Now, go get your shoe shine box!

Foad

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2022, 07:28:54 AM »
Maybe you should use that humpty dumpty quote on yourself.

I know you are but what am I? Good grief. What's next, are you going to tell me to go take my meds? You fucking hack.

On the bright side my foot's so far buried up your ass that you're reduced to shitting on the school you're "proud" to be an "alum" of in a futile attempt to win an argument in an obscure corner of the internet that every commenter here has to a man noticed you've already lost.

I'll leave you with this, since you're enamored with facts and stuff. 

17. St. John's

The Johnnies rank seventh in all-time victories and 17th in win percentage -- but have fallen from No. 10 to No. 17 in 11 years' time. Lou Carnesecca turned a Queens-based basketball outfit into a Big East power in the 1980s, and we'll get to that in a minute, but St. John's was consistently good in the 1950s, '60s and '70s, recruiting in local talent on the regular to keep the school competitive in the Metro New York conference and as an independent from 1963-76. In the 1930s and 1950s, Joe Lapchick set the standard (334-130). Carnesecca's first tenure ran from 1965-70 and ended with an NIT or NCAA run each season; the late 1960s was when the NCAA Tournament really overtook the NIT in prestige, so this was still a legitimate run.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/the-greatest-college-basketball-programs-ever-ranking-the-top-teams-of-all-time/#:~:text=St.&text=The%20Johnnies%20rank%20seventh%20in,17%20in%2011%20years'%20time.

30. St. John's Red Storm

"The Saint John's Red Storm are now coached by Steve Lavin and have one of the best winning percentages in college basketball. They have won 17 conference titles, and have appeared in 28 tournaments including two runs at the Final Four."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/737195-college-basketball-power-ranking-the-top-50-mens-programs-of-all-time

"St. John's used to be a perennial basketball power, winning five N.I.T. championships, three Big East titles and routinely making the NCAA tournament."

https://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2019/01/09/st--john-s-taking-college-basketball-by-storm

# 26 St. John's

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/29/list-of-ap-all-time-top-100-college-basketball-programs/99793618/

19. St. John’s Red Storm

While St. John’s has yet to win the NCAA Tournament, they’ve won more National Invitation Tournament titles than any other program, dating back to when that was considered the more prestigious event of the two. Along with five NIT championships — not including one that was later vacated — the Red Storm has played in two Final Fours and reached the NCAA Tournament 30 times since 1951. They rank in the all-time top 10 for wins, as a program as well as in the top 20 for both overall win percentage and total first-round NBA Draft picks.

https://www.simplemost.com/best-college-basketball-programs-all-time-ranked/

That's undoubtedly going to sting for a bit. My advice: in a few short days you've beclowned yourself from a mere buffoon into a complete and utter laughingstock. Best drop out of sight for a while, then come back in a couple of weeks with a different screen name - ProudRedJohnnieAlum4Ever has a nice ring to it - and recommence gargling Anderson's balls. Till then,

<flush>

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2022, 08:33:13 AM »
I know you are but what am I? Good grief. What's next, are you going to tell me to go take my meds? You fucking hack.

On the bright side my foot's so far buried up your ass that you're reduced to shitting on the school you're "proud" to be an "alum" of in a futile attempt to win an argument in an obscure corner of the internet that every commenter here has to a man noticed you've already lost.

<flush>

Haha. I know this is hard for you. You had this delusional view of yourself as a witty, knowledgeable guy and you have been exposed as a clueless, raving, crude, low-class individual. Yours is a typical reaction of someone of your low intellect who can't handle looking so foolish.

I see that understanding facts is challenging for you. Yes, St. John's has a lot of historical wins as it has a program that goes back to the beginning of the 20th century. That however does not make St. John's a blue blood, national power, or dynastic program during the past 50 years. Let's look at a 1975 Street & Smith article on the program for a contemporaneous look at yesteryear:

"But let’s not paint too romantic a picture. St. John’s won’t be competing for a national championship in the near future. Even though the Redmen have New York City to draw from, they rarely get the superior blue-chipper they need to escape the NIT. The plain fact is that most city kids would rather leave the city as soon as it’s humanly possible. Cunningham, Hawkins. Archibald. Alcindor. Meminger. Grunfeld. King. The list goes on forever.

And since St. John’s doesn’t have any dorms to offer, Looie has to go after what’s left behind after the cream has whipped itself off to cleaner air. He’s a 50-cent subway token away from any playground in the city (except Staten Island—nobody plays any ball in Staten Island), and when he gets there, the pitch is always the overhand fastball. No sense in being subtle. ...

Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear eats you. Looie gets his share, but Wooden and Knight and Driesell and Smith and both McGuires get more. Looie’s teams have to win with hustle and guile. They have to scrounge like rats and dive for loose balls like winos dive for spare change on the Bowery. And even if they make it, sometimes nobody’s watching."

St. John's had good (and other than a few seasons not great) success and was a very good program through the 1990s. It has fallen due to not keeping up with the times and changes in college basketball, including an utter failure to have sufficient facilities, and some bad coaching hires (especially Norm and Mullin).

For your own good, you should admit to yourself that you have a lot to learn, or just accept that you are incapable of understanding anything beyond simple concepts.

Foad

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2022, 09:17:42 AM »
Yes,  Let's look at a 1975 Street & Smith article on the program for a contemporaneous look at yesteryear:

By all means, let's.

"But let’s not paint too romantic a picture. St. John’s won’t be competing for a national championship in the near future."

Despite which prognostication St John's competed for the national championship twice within a decade of its publication: they were two points away from the final four in 1979 and in the final four in 1985. In the 20 years following the article you cite SJU made the NCAA tournament 18 times; were at one time or another ranked in the top 20 in every one of those years but one; and were ranked in the top 10 eight times. Once again you seem to have out-stupided yourself. 

<remainder hosed>

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2022, 09:29:34 AM »
By all means, let's.

Despite which prognostication St John's competed for the national championship twice within a decade of its publication: they were two points away from the final four in 1979 and in the final four in 1985. In the 20 years following the article you cite SJU made the NCAA tournament 18 times; were at one time or another ranked in the top 20 in every one of those years but one; and were ranked in the top 10 eight times. Once again you seem to have out-stupided yourself. 

<remainder hosed>

In 46 years since that article, St. John's was in one Final Four, ten years after it was published.

As I said, understanding facts is challenging for you.

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2022, 12:26:41 PM »
In 46 years since that article, St. John's was in one Final Four, ten years after it was published.

Recognize that article as from Street and Smith magazine written by none other than Tony Kornheiser (of PTI fame). He obviously was staying with his narrative that St. J's was the little engine that could by saying they rarely escape the NIT. In Lou C's 24 year tenure they made 19 NCAAs and 5 NITs which is hardly rarely escaping the NIT in actuality it was the other way around.

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2022, 03:09:27 PM »
Anyone think nova will win the BigEast next year?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2022, 05:46:01 PM »

Mary, Mary, quite contrary!
National basketball powers are cyclical and in all the history of NCAA college basketball 95 colleges have reached the Final Four. Of the 95, a total of 70 have only made the final four from 1 to 3 times.
St. John's is in that group that includes Gonzaga, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Purdue, Oregon, USC, Wake Forest and the rest of the 70 schools.
If you want to downgrade St. Johns because they are not in the same stratosphere as UCLA, UNC, DUKE, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, LOUISVILLE, then just leave this discussion because you are literally the dunce rolling the rock up the mountain in the Myth of Sisyphus.

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
Mary, Mary, quite contrary!
National basketball powers are cyclical and in all the history of NCAA college basketball 95 colleges have reached the Final Four. Of the 95, a total of 70 have only made the final four from 1 to 3 times.
St. John's is in that group that includes Gonzaga, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Purdue, Oregon, USC, Wake Forest and the rest of the 70 schools.
If you want to downgrade St. Johns because they are not in the same stratosphere as UCLA, UNC, DUKE, KANSAS, KENTUCKY, LOUISVILLE, then just leave this discussion because you are literally the dunce rolling the rock up the mountain in the Myth of Sisyphus.

Ah, another one here challenged to understand facts and logic.

If you want to look at the history of the NCAA tournament, 36 other schools have more Final Four appearances than us.

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2022, 08:03:52 PM »
Ah, another one here challenged to understand facts and logic.

If you want to look at the history of the NCAA tournament, 36 other schools have more Final Four appearances than us.

Mary,  there are 358 Division 1 basketball schools!
St. JOHN'S IS 9TH IN ALL TIME WINS.
ST. JOHN'S IS IN THE TOP 25 PERCENT OF SCHOOLS TO HAVE MULTIPLE APPEARANCES IN POST SEASON.
AND,
according to your facts and logic, out of 358 schools, only 36 have more NCAA appearances.
You are the most unproud Mary ever if you can't appreciate what a financially limited institution that was a commuter school for most of its existence, playing as an independent, accomplished in the face of competition from mega-state-funded schools like North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, Ohio State and others.
Now, let us know exactly what is it that you are proud of????

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2022, 08:06:27 PM »
Mary,  there are 358 Division 1 basketball schools!
St. JOHN'S IS 9TH IN ALL TIME WINS.
ST. JOHN'S IS IN THE TOP 25 PERCENT OF SCHOOLS TO HAVE MULTIPLE APPEARANCES IN POST SEASON.
AND,
according to your facts and logic, out of 358 schools, only 36 have more NCAA appearances.
You are the most unproud Mary ever if you can't appreciate what a financially limited institution that was a commuter school for most of its existence, playing as an independent, accomplished in the face of competition from mega-state-funded schools like North Carolina, Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Indiana, Ohio State and others.
Now, let us know exactly what is it that you are proud of????

I see you are incapable of following the discussion. I was responding to those who seem to think that St. John's has been some national powerhouse and that we only need to hire a good coach who can just snap his fingers and we would be a championship contender again. Go back and read slowly, maybe you will start to comprehend.

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2022, 09:23:52 PM »
I see you are incapable of following the discussion. I was responding to those who seem to think that St. John's has been some national powerhouse and that we only need to hire a good coach who can just snap his fingers and we would be a championship contender again. Go back and read slowly, maybe you will start to comprehend.

Give it up Mary!
Your condition is incurable.
You are not responding to anyone.  By your own definition the only "national powerhouses" are the schools I mentioned.
They are state funded semipro pay-to-play institutions like Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina and no St. John's proud alum would ever say we were in that corrupt class.
As far a coach turning a program into a perennial NCAA contender, you should apply your special education level intellect to examine the meteoric rises of past and current programs like Gonzaga before Few, DUKE before coach rat face, Uconn before Calhoun, Memphis before Calipari, Indiana before Knight, Unlv before Tarkanian, etc.
This is college basketball stupid! One recruiting class can make you a national contender.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 09:25:38 PM by Johnny Rotten »

« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2022, 08:21:40 AM »
Give it up Mary!
Your condition is incurable.
You are not responding to anyone.  By your own definition the only "national powerhouses" are the schools I mentioned.
They are state funded semipro pay-to-play institutions like Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina and no St. John's proud alum would ever say we were in that corrupt class.
As far a coach turning a program into a perennial NCAA contender, you should apply your special education level intellect to examine the meteoric rises of past and current programs like Gonzaga before Few, DUKE before coach rat face, Uconn before Calhoun, Memphis before Calipari, Indiana before Knight, Unlv before Tarkanian, etc.
This is college basketball stupid! One recruiting class can make you a national contender.

I'm glad St. John's academic standards have improved since you were there, because it is embarrassing that you are an alumni.
Duke had losing records two of Mike K's first three seasons there. Gonzaga made it to the regional final in the NCAA tournament the year before Few was there. UCONN was 9-19 in Calhoun's first year and didn't make the NCAA Tournament until his 4th season. Thanks for bringing up Indiana 50 years ago, but for the record in Knight's first season they had the same exact record as the season prior and didn't make the post-season. Calipari didn't make the NCAA Tournament at Memphis until his third season, and that program was filthy with violations. Tarkanian was one of the dirtiest cheaters in college basketball.

Try and learn a thing or two before you post, you may save yourself some embarrassment.

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2022, 10:15:35 AM »
I'm glad St. John's academic standards have improved since you were there, because it is embarrassing that you are an alumni.

No, I'm not an "alumni".  Unlike you Mary, I only have one personality.

Your retort is further example of your incurable mental health.
You can't cure stupid.

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2022, 10:57:54 AM »

No, I'm not an "alumni".  Unlike you Mary, I only have one personality.

Your retort is further example of your incurable mental health.
You can't cure stupid.

Your continued inability to provide any intelligent substantive response is noted.

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2022, 11:42:12 AM »
Your continued inability to provide any intelligent substantive response is noted.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdqJBkhG/

Foad

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2022, 04:19:34 PM »
I was responding to those who seem to think that St. John's has been some national powerhouse and that we only need to hire a good coach who can just snap his fingers and we would be a championship contender again.

Yeah that's not anything like anything that happened. No one said anything of the sort. Let me correct the record. What happened was:

My pal Marillac opined that Jay Wright's demise spelled the end of the BE. I said wait, not so fast, most programs that achieve the degree of excellence that Nova has maintain that excellence for at least a period of time. The ones that haven't done that are historically of two types I continued: programs that lucked into generational talent, e.g., USF, google it stupids; and schools like SJU and DePaul and NYU, small private urban universities of indifferent academic repute and possibly denominational. Which hardly seems controversial.

You however as Anderson ball-washer in chief found in this thread a threat. Your previous persona (RIP) maintained steadfastly that Iron Mike Anderson was just the guy to lead us to the promised land:

"Locking down the city. Build it and they will come. Anderson putting his stamp all over this program. Now it's time to dance."

(LOL, no wonder you disappeared. It's unfortunate that you chose to return as the same dreary moron blathering the same dreary banalities, but then if this were a perfect world my Barcalounger  would have a tongue and vagina.)

The mounting evidence that Anderson sucks made you look like a complete buffoon with a meager understanding of basketball. So you changed the premise: it turns out now that there never was a promised land. St John's - the St John's of the wonder five and Dick McGuire and Joe Lapchick and Lou Carnesecca and Sonny Dove and Chris Mullin and Walter Berry and Malik Sealy and Ron Artest and Paul Berwanger - it turns out that that St John's was never a player on the national stage, not ever, in proof of which you cited a 50 year old story that was provably wrong before the ink with which it was printed dried. Your "now it's time to dance" - proof of Iron Mike's projected success - was when St John's did it 95 percent of the time after your precious article was printed, turns out that's not evidence of perennial success on the college basketball stage.

Which after the laughter subsided you were reduced to wut's a blublood and wuts a dynasticality and phraseology like "Looie has to go after what’s left behind after the cream has whipped itself off to cleaner air."

(Full disclosure, I whipped off twice today.)

tl;dr you suck.

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2022, 06:09:41 PM »

Yeah that's not anything like anything that happened. No one said anything of the sort. Let me correct the record. What happened was:

My pal Marillac opined that Jay Wright's demise spelled the end of the BE. I said wait, not so fast, most programs that achieve the degree of excellence that Nova has maintain that excellence for at least a period of time. The ones that haven't done that are historically of two types I continued: programs that lucked into generational talent, e.g., USF, google it stupids; and schools like SJU and DePaul and NYU, small private urban universities of indifferent academic repute and possibly denominational. Which hardly seems controversial.

You however as Anderson ball-washer in chief found in this thread a threat. Your previous persona (RIP) maintained steadfastly that Iron Mike Anderson was just the guy to lead us to the promised land:

"Locking down the city. Build it and they will come. Anderson putting his stamp all over this program. Now it's time to dance."

(LOL, no wonder you disappeared. It's unfortunate that you chose to return as the same dreary moron blathering the same dreary banalities, but then if this were a perfect world my Barcalounger  would have a tongue and vagina.)

The mounting evidence that Anderson sucks made you look like a complete buffoon with a meager understanding of basketball. So you changed the premise: it turns out now that there never was a promised land. St John's - the St John's of the wonder five and Dick McGuire and Joe Lapchick and Lou Carnesecca and Sonny Dove and Chris Mullin and Walter Berry and Malik Sealy and Ron Artest and Paul Berwanger - it turns out that that St John's was never a player on the national stage, not ever, in proof of which you cited a 50 year old story that was provably wrong before the ink with which it was printed dried. Your "now it's time to dance" - proof of Iron Mike's projected success - was when St John's did it 95 percent of the time after your precious article was printed, turns out that's not evidence of perennial success on the college basketball stage.

Which after the laughter subsided you were reduced to wut's a blublood and wuts a dynasticality and phraseology like "Looie has to go after what’s left behind after the cream has whipped itself off to cleaner air."

(Full disclosure, I whipped off twice today.)

tl;dr you suck.

Ah, more of your inane delusional conspiracy thinking about multiple identities. Whoever this other person is you are obsessed with must have also made you look like a fool.

What actually happened was you equated St. John's in the past to a blue blood or dynastic program. Then I posted facts that showed your latest of many ignorant and mistaken comments and you, having been shown to be a low level fool yet again, lashed out with crude rantings and conspiracy theories.

Foad

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2022, 06:40:00 PM »
Whoever this other person is you are obsessed with must have also made you look like a fool.

On the contrary Johnnie 23. You were a cunt as Johnnie 23 and you're a cunt as proud alum and you'll be a cunt as whatever you change your name to next time you're exposed as a cunt and change your screen name to when you're next time exposed as a cunt. Because you're a cunt. HTH.

Marillac

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2022, 01:44:14 AM »

The word you are looking for there is alumnus. That’s a tough start to a post trying to prove how intellectually superior you are to someone.