Serious Question

• 20 replies
Serious Question
« on: October 07, 2008, 11:45:48 PM »
Do you think this Country is ready for a Black President? Tough question IMO

Re: Serious Question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:18 PM »
Not that tough IMO.  The answer is Yes.  The country is ready.  That doesn't mean everyone in the country is but most of us are. 

Lets hope he has a come to jesus moment and moves to the center like Bill Clinton otherwise this country is in BIG trouble.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 12:03:58 AM »
I think its a very tough question.Alot of people wont tell you what they really think about these sort of issues and 1 day it just might rear its ugly head,as it did with JFK and Martin Luther King Jr. I just hope to God it doesnt come to that. I think racism is alot closer than we think or want to think and its still a huge problem. Thats just my opinion 

« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:50:04 AM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 01:53:10 AM »
If the american people elect a black pres then i guess that says something. If he is elected I worry about his safety.

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 01:58:47 AM »
I think the polls are misleading.  I think Baldi is correct that people wouldn't say what they truly feel about the issue.  However, I do feel this country is ready for a black president.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 06:47:00 AM »
deep south and segments of middle america= no.

rest of america= yes

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 10:18:40 AM »
Obviously there are people who will not vote for Obama because he is Black. However, I think there are more people out there who this doesn't affect their decision than there are people who do care about a persons skin color.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 10:22:55 AM »
I would also like to mention that I was in Boston in August for business. I watched the acceptance speech inside my hotel bar/club/restaurant and there was about 400 people there (about 85% white). 95% of all the people were cheering and claping like crazy when he was speaking!   

That has to say something....

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:07 AM »
Personally I don't think it should matter. If he is black, white, yellow, orange, red, whatever. I think when people bring it up or make a big deal out of it then they aren't ready.

I'm against affirmative action. I think its racism. I could have had a very good job with a University at a pretty high position but I was told that they needed to hire an African American for the position. Which left me thinking how does that African American feel knowing he got the job because of the color of skin? Also how does that make me feel knowing I didn't get the job because of the color of my skin?

I'm also against Black History month. I think again why do we have to single out black people and dedicate one month to them? Sure I think its great to celebrate their culture and heritage but it should be 12 months out of the year not one. Making it one says to me we're still not accepting.

We should live as one. If we get a black president or a woman vice president...who cares? I'm more worried about what they are going to do right now then how it will look in history books as a nice story to read 50 years later. What are they doing for the financial crisis? the war? healthcare? etc?

Do I think we are ready for a black president, maybe yes and maybe no. If we keep bringing the subject up of his race all the time then I think the answer is no. He is a man just like you and I he doesn't need to be referred to as black man. I might be in a minority with this opinion but its how I feel and I was raised by my parents not to judge a man by the color of his skin.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 11:56:48 AM »
Don't get worked up over it JJ.  They just told you that so they didn't have to tell you the truth.

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »
Don't get worked up over it JJ.  They just told you that so they didn't have to tell you the truth.

I know you are joking but I'm not sure I get what in reference to
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »
Personally I don't think it should matter. If he is black, white, yellow, orange, red, whatever. I think when people bring it up or make a big deal out of it then they aren't ready.

I'm against affirmative action. I think its racism. I could have had a very good job with a University at a pretty high position but I was told that they needed to hire an African American for the position. Which left me thinking how does that African American feel knowing he got the job because of the color of skin? Also how does that make me feel knowing I didn't get the job because of the color of my skin?

I'm also against Black History month. I think again why do we have to single out black people and dedicate one month to them? Sure I think its great to celebrate their culture and heritage but it should be 12 months out of the year not one. Making it one says to me we're still not accepting.

We should live as one. If we get a black president or a woman vice president...who cares? I'm more worried about what they are going to do right now then how it will look in history books as a nice story to read 50 years later. What are they doing for the financial crisis? the war? healthcare? etc?

Do I think we are ready for a black president, maybe yes and maybe no. If we keep bringing the subject up of his race all the time then I think the answer is no. He is a man just like you and I he doesn't need to be referred to as black man. I might be in a minority with this opinion but its how I feel and I was raised by my parents not to judge a man by the color of his skin.

I agree that "I don't think it should matter. If he is black, white, yellow, orange, red, whatever". I also agree on what you said about affirmative action. If a person is the most qualified for the job... they should get it.

In reference to your lost job opportunity, something very similiar happened to me when I was at St. John's. My two best friends (one is Black and the other is Ecuadorian) thought it was funny at the time and made a comment "that's because the wealthiest 1% of America is white". Years later, I still have a hard time in seeing how that would justifies anything. Am I that wealthiest 1%? No!... Nowhere near it... At the time...  My parents had divorced 5 years earlier and they lived paycheck to paycheck. I am not even sure if we could have been considered middle class. Was I qualified? Absolutely.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 06:11:09 PM by Johnny4Life »

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 06:12:18 PM »
Just another day in the life...
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 09:40:11 PM »
Just another day in the life...

I hear you bro.

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 09:41:32 PM »

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 10:36:37 PM »

He's the best man to run for president in my lifetime (I'm 58), and he's running at one of the 3 or 4 most critical times in our history against a joke of a ticket.

If this country's not ready, then we're all in deep, deep shit.

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2008, 12:02:55 AM »
..."If this country's not ready, then we're all in deep, deep shit"...

Well said...

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
..."If this country's not ready, then we're all in deep, deep shit"...

Well said...

We already are in deep deep deep shit

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2008, 12:53:48 AM »
i'm not sure what "ready" means. 

i know i'm not "ready" to ride out the depression brought to us by the dumb white guy who's running the show right now.

pmg911

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2008, 02:39:22 PM »

He's the best man to run for president in my lifetime (I'm 58), and he's running at one of the 3 or 4 most critical times in our history against a joke of a ticket.

If this country's not ready, then we're all in deep, deep shit.

Do you really think Barack Obama is the best man to run for President in the last 58 years...?

Better than   Kennedy     Nixon     Regan     Clinton  ..?