Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S

• 1462 replies
Re: Jakarr Sampson - SF - Brewster Academy - Akron, OH - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #180 on: April 11, 2011, 08:16:50 AM »
They ALL need to get stronger.

Like a great deal of high school players.  I continue to wonder why this is such a big topic when many high school players need to get stronger.  That'll come in time.  I'm more concerned about skill level.  Quite frankly, many of our recruits have a sufficient level of skill.

I think its a concern because Sampson is our second biggest recruit and he is a string bean.  In every highlight he seems timid on the boards and allows himself to get pushed around and that's in prep school.  He is about the size of Polee and Polee got pushed around plenty. 

I agree that all high school recruits need to get stronger but not all teams have ten freshman that have to come in and play immediately.  I think its more of a concern of not one player but the fact that we only have one true PF/C in Pelle.  If God's Gift (or someone else with beef) comes aboard I will be less worried.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #181 on: April 11, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
I think its a concern because Sampson is our second biggest recruit and he is a string bean.  In every highlight he seems timid on the boards and allows himself to get pushed around and that's in prep school.  He is about the size of Polee and Polee got pushed around plenty. 

I agree that all high school recruits need to get stronger but not all teams have ten freshman that have to come in and play immediately.  I think its more of a concern of not one player but the fact that we only have one true PF/C in Pelle.  If God's Gift (or someone else with beef) comes aboard I will be less worried.

I'm not sure how much high school hoops many of you watch, but there is a great deal of high school players who need to get stronger.  Some form of strength will come in time.  The biggest thing one needs to be concerned about is skill.  It'll be easier for them to gain weight then it would be to gain skill.

I haven't really noticed him seeming to be timid on the boards in the highlights.  IMO, he plays bigger than his size considering he can mix it up in the post.  You can look at Sampson's shoulders and see he can put on more considerable weight than Polee.  Not to mention, he has a more refined game than Polee.  Some guys are able to beat players to the basket to garner rebounds due to craftiness and a will.  I continue to say rebounding is more than about size.  Size helps, but there is more to it than just size.

10 freshmen?  The last I checked Nurideen Lindsey wasn't a freshmen.  Nevertheless, look at the size of our frontline with of Burrell, Evans, Coker and Brownlee.  They were built like trucks.  How consistent were they when it came to rebounding?  I think several of you were spooked by the Gonzaga game and all that has been echoed since that game has been size, size and size.

The size will come in time.  First and foremost, the thought should be on skill level.  Yes, I'd like to nab God's Gift, as he'll add some beef and be a banger.  I also would be okay, if he didn't end up at St. John's.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 09:21:34 AM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »
Per Adam Zagoria on twitter:

"Both JaKarr Sampson's AAU coach and St. John's sources say Sampson will qualify, despite a Tweet to the contrary."

gonzalo

« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2011, 09:40:45 AM »
Not promising.

http://bit.ly/fEXBuX

Sources say that St. John's recruit Jakarr Sampson will probably do another year of Prep

Then, would he need to sign another National Letter of Intent?

« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2011, 09:49:55 AM »

"Both JaKarr Sampson's AAU coach and St. John's sources say Sampson will qualify, despite a Tweet to the contrary."

I guess that nips yesterday's rumor in the bud.

« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2011, 02:08:16 PM »

I guess that nips yesterday's rumor in the bud.

Even more confirmation Wingate's tweet was without merit:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/28444104

kjd01067

« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2011, 02:12:13 PM »

Even more confirmation Wingate's tweet was without merit:

http://eye-on-college-basketball.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/28444104

Thanks for the update Fordham and nice to see you over here on JJ

« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2011, 06:48:13 PM »
That's good to hear.  The kid has a skill set that not many players have at 6'8".  I think we'll be good next year but a lot better the following year especially if all these guys have a year to adjust to college ball.

Moose stop spreading rumors! ;)

Moose

« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2011, 06:50:47 PM »
That's good to hear.  The kid has a skill set that not many players have at 6'8".  I think we'll be good next year but a lot better the following year especially if all these guys have a year to adjust to college ball.

I wish the person who posted the tweet would admit their fault.  But that's not the case with this new 'social networking journalism' world we live in.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #189 on: April 11, 2011, 07:04:39 PM »

I'm not sure how much high school hoops many of you watch, but there is a great deal of high school players who need to get stronger.  Some form of strength will come in time.  The biggest thing one needs to be concerned about is skill.  It'll be easier for them to gain weight then it would be to gain skill.

I haven't really noticed him seeming to be timid on the boards in the highlights.  IMO, he plays bigger than his size considering he can mix it up in the post.  You can look at Sampson's shoulders and see he can put on more considerable weight than Polee.  Not to mention, he has a more refined game than Polee.  Some guys are able to beat players to the basket to garner rebounds due to craftiness and a will.  I continue to say rebounding is more than about size.  Size helps, but there is more to it than just size.

10 freshmen?  The last I checked Nurideen Lindsey wasn't a freshmen.  Nevertheless, look at the size of our frontline with of Burrell, Evans, Coker and Brownlee.  They were built like trucks.  How consistent were they when it came to rebounding?  I think several of you were spooked by the Gonzaga game and all that has been echoed since that game has been size, size and size.

The size will come in time.  First and foremost, the thought should be on skill level.  Yes, I'd like to nab God's Gift, as he'll add some beef and be a banger.  I also would be okay, if he didn't end up at St. John's.

10 Freshman I think you're nitpicking a little. 8 on the way plus 1 with a year of JUCO experience.

Don't get me wrong I love Jakarr and this group coming in.  But to say you're not concerned at all that our biggest player is listed at 200 is surprising.  IMO its a legitimate concern.  It's not the end all be all but it's definitely a factor. Pointer is physically ready so is Harkless and maybe even Garrett.  But the bigs we will have next year are lucky to be 200 pounds soaking wet.

Jakarr Sampson           6-8/200
Dwight Meikle    6-9/185
Norvel Pelle    6-9/200   

« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2011, 07:28:30 PM »
10 Freshman I think you're nitpicking a little. 8 on the way plus 1 with a year of JUCO experience.

Don't get me wrong I love Jakarr and this group coming in.  But to say you're not concerned at all that our biggest player is listed at 200 is surprising.  IMO its a legitimate concern.  It's not the end all be all but it's definitely a factor. Pointer is physically ready so is Harkless and maybe even Garrett.  But the bigs we will have next year are lucky to be 200 pounds soaking wet.

Dwight Meikle    6-9/185
Norvel Pelle    6-9/200   

Yes, I was somewhat nitpicking.  Just was messing with you a bit.   8)   

I'm concerned, but not to the point where it becomes a topic each and every time one of our recruits name pops up.  I guess I'm more focused on their skill level than their weight.  I'll continue to state the strength and weight will come along in time.  Albeit, they are young these guys are more skillful than our previous frontcourt. 

You think Garrett is physically ready?  He's kinda slim, as well.  Although, he's added some muscle this season.  How many teams we're gonna have to seriously worry about when it comes to powerful frontcourts?  Our truck-like frontcourt didn't stop CJ Fair from getting key offensive rebound after key offensive rebound.  Yes, it would be good to add some size (God's Gift), but I'll take skill over size all day.  If, you can get both all wrapped up into one then that's even better. 

Gonzaga has done a number on some of y'all.  LOL

« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »

I wish the person who posted the tweet would admit their fault.  But that's not the case with this new 'social networking journalism' world we live in.

There would be way too much apologizing lol. I don't even read that site anymore.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2011, 10:18:20 PM »

Dwight Meikle    6-9/185
Norvel Pelle    6-9/200   

Yes, I was somewhat nitpicking.  Just was messing with you a bit.   8)   

I'm concerned, but not to the point where it becomes a topic each and every time one of our recruits name pops up.  I guess I'm more focused on their skill level than their weight.  I'll continue to state the strength and weight will come along in time.  Albeit, they are young these guys are more skillful than our previous frontcourt. 

You think Garrett is physically ready?  He's kinda slim, as well.  Although, he's added some muscle this season.  How many teams we're gonna have to seriously worry about when it comes to powerful frontcourts?  Our truck-like frontcourt didn't stop CJ Fair from getting key offensive rebound after key offensive rebound.  Yes, it would be good to add some size (God's Gift), but I'll take skill over size all day.  If, you can get both all wrapped up into one then that's even better. 

Gonzaga has done a number on some of y'all.  LOL

Why do you keep bringing up Gonzaga?    I don't think I even remember seeing anyone post about how our "truck-like" front court fared against Gonzaga.  I'm more worried about the Big East.

The reason why it keeps coming up is because it is the only weakness in the recruiting class...that and we may not have a "true" point guard (Personally I think we'll be fine at the point).  And while I do think Garrett is physically ready to play the SF position...(how dare you say other wise :) )...  I just don't think we have anyone ready to be PF or C day in and day out in the Big East.  Polee specifically who has the same build as our incoming recruits got pushed around quite a bit...and I'm not talking about what these recruits will look like a few years from now (I'm sure they will be fine) I'm worried about competing next year.  There were times Polee was pulled because he couldn't rebound despite his length and skill set and basketball IQ. 

« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2011, 10:48:29 PM »
Why do you keep bringing up Gonzaga?    I don't think I even remember seeing anyone post about how our "truck-like" front court fared against Gonzaga.  I'm more worried about the Big East.

The reason why it keeps coming up is because it is the only weakness in the recruiting class...that and we may not have a "true" point guard (Personally I think we'll be fine at the point).  And while I do think Garrett is physically ready to play the SF position...(how dare you say other wise :) )...  I just don't think we have anyone ready to be PF or C day in and day out in the Big East.  Polee specifically who has the same build as our incoming recruits got pushed around quite a bit...and I'm not talking about what these recruits will look like a few years from now (I'm sure they will be fine) I'm worried about competing next year.  There were times Polee was pulled because he couldn't rebound despite his length and skill set and basketball IQ. 

Why do I continue to bring up Gonzaga?  I guess you must've forgotten about some of the "spooked" posts after our game versus the 'Zags.  I guess you also forgot I wondered who we're going to go up against on a consistent basis, in which we're going to have worry about a brute frontcourt.

Contrary to what you may believe, Sampson has a different build than Polee.  Just take a look at Sampson's shoulders.  They may have similiar strength, but they also may not have similiar strength because they are of similiar weight.  I believe we will have the personnel to play on the Big East level day in and day out.  Polee is lengthy, very athletic and has a good hoops IQ, but he was raw.  More raw than Sampson.  Sampson has better feet and some semblance of a post game, as well.  I can't sit here and say, Sampson is gonna have trouble rebounding because Polee did due to them being of similiar size.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 10:54:11 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
I guess you also forgot I wondered who we're going to go up against on a consistent basis, in which we're going to have worry about a brute frontcourt.

Everyone will be bigger than us.

« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
I guess you also forgot I wondered who we're going to go up against on a consistent basis, in which we're going to have worry about a brute frontcourt.

Everyone will be bigger than us.

Will "everyone" be better?   ;)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:12:26 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #196 on: April 12, 2011, 12:16:25 AM »

Dwight Meikle    6-9/185
Norvel Pelle    6-9/200   

Meikle is shorter than Burrell. more like 6'7
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #197 on: April 12, 2011, 12:18:52 PM »
The thing to remember about Gonzaga is they got rocked by a BYU squad that was the smallest team in the tournament.  They started 6'6 and 6'8 up front and had no size off the bench.  Their guys hit the offensive glass hard and we didn't do that all year with the roster we had.  I expect thing to be different starting next year, but I still think there will be too many freshman mistakes and not enough beef/skill down low. 

I have no problem with a .500 record with ten new players as long as the kids are learning and getting better.  If we finish around .500 we are going to be a top 5 preseason Big East team the next season. 

NYCoffey

« Reply #198 on: April 12, 2011, 12:42:35 PM »
Jakarr and Harkless are getting some time playing together at the Is8 Nike tournaments on the Real Scout team.

http://ucla.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1210335

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2011, 12:10:05 PM »
FWIW, I spoke with his roommate and he said he's definitely going to St. John's next year.
He said he's really goofy, but has learned to become more serious on the court.