NIKE Peach Jam

• 33 replies
Re: NIKE Peach Jam
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 06:20:02 PM »
[tweet]http://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/18551760952[/tweet]

http://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/18551760952

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 09:40:22 PM »
Just got a note that the only team being monitored 24/7 by NCAA Compliance at the PJ is the Oakland Soldiers.

Ouch
Same person said they got their doors blown off by Team Takeover from the DMV this morning. Turner was the Soldiers' best player. Takeover pulled their starters w/ 4 minutes to go to rest them for the next game (Metro Hawks). Gauchos, outside of Omar Calhoun, have been a joke for the first time in a while. They lost all five of their games.

Saw that about the Chos.  Pretty surprising considering they had Nunez, Wilson and Stokes in addition to Omar.
Konchalski thinks that Nunez will be one of those players that never lives up to others' initial expectations. An assistant coach said he didn't work as hard as other kids.  From a STJ perspective, Nunez is tight with Khem Birch, who I'd love for them to land.

Question. If your not the sleaveless guy then who is the sleaveless guy ? BTW thanks for all your updates. I love reading them

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 09:44:42 PM »
Just got a note that the only team being monitored 24/7 by NCAA Compliance at the PJ is the Oakland Soldiers.

Ouch
Same person said they got their doors blown off by Team Takeover from the DMV this morning. Turner was the Soldiers' best player. Takeover pulled their starters w/ 4 minutes to go to rest them for the next game (Metro Hawks). Gauchos, outside of Omar Calhoun, have been a joke for the first time in a while. They lost all five of their games.

Saw that about the Chos.  Pretty surprising considering they had Nunez, Wilson and Stokes in addition to Omar.
Konchalski thinks that Nunez will be one of those players that never lives up to others' initial expectations. An assistant coach said he didn't work as hard as other kids.  From a STJ perspective, Nunez is tight with Khem Birch, who I'd love for them to land.

Question. If your not the sleaveless guy then who is the sleaveless guy ? BTW thanks for all your updates. I love reading them

The sleeveless guy goes by the handle of Boooooothe here.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Some other tidbits from the Peach Jam....

- Brad Beal and Ben McLemore are equally impressive. Both can shoot it (Beal may shoot it a lil better); both are lengthy; has a pretty good handle; defend fairly well and does the intangible things to the game. Beal and McLemore (along, with the rest of the other St. Louis Eagles) disposed the Oakland Soldiers during last night's quarterfinals. They both also seem like good kids. When things didn't go their way or their teams way.... They acted humbly and just went on about their business.

- Anthony Davis may very, well be the #1 player in the Class of 2011 when it's all said and done.

- The ball must've been a grenade when Austin Rivers received it. As, he pretty much tossed it (the ball) up whenever he had the ball in his hands. You can clearly see he is capable of doing more things offensively (ie, getting his players the ball), but he can occasionally force things. Hone him in a bit and he'll be a solid NBA player player in the long run.

- James McAdoo could be overrated. Granted, he's a pretty good player, but he doesn't have much lift off the floor nor nothing to counter his lack of lift when I briefly saw him. Tony Parker (another highly-rated player from the 2012 class) of the Georgia Stars had his way with him during particular possession. Drop step and McAdoo-on-you. LOL McAdoo also had trouble a couple of times when more bouncy kids were attempting to block his shot. A good player, but maybe a bit overrated. We'll see.

- Keep an eye on Archie Goodwin.... He's a 2012 player out of Arkansas and he's the goods! I watched him play on yesterday afternoon, as he plays for with the 16u Arkansas Wings. I didn't know he was rated so highly, but I can see why after witnessing him on yesterday. A very, solid player.

- Michael Carter-Williams is a skinny kid, but he has pretty solid game. Granted, he had a couple of so-so games.... He also had a couple of bonanza-like games, as well. He really attacks the basket, but he's also capable of drilling treys and mid-range jumpers. Boeheim is getting a good one.

- The Johnnies could very, well use all of the remaining 'ships, if we end up getting on a roll and get some very, solid players. Yes, there is a chance we could end up no 'ships for 2012. Once again, it all depends on what kinda players we end up getting in the 2011 class. Remember, you'll always end up with a transfer or two or someone leaving early for the NBA. So, the 2012 class, as far as scholarship offers, might be a question mark down the road.

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2010, 01:33:09 PM »
Some other tidbits from the Peach Jam....

- Brad Beal and Ben McLemore are equally impressive. Both can shoot it (Beal may shoot it a lil better); both are lengthy; has a pretty good handle; defend fairly well and does the intangible things to the game. Beal and McLemore (along, with the rest of the other St. Louis Eagles) disposed the Oakland Soldiers during last night's quarterfinals. They both also seem like good kids. When things didn't go their way or their teams way.... They acted humbly and just went on about their business.

- Anthony Davis may very, well be the #1 player in the Class of 2011 when it's all said and done.

- The ball must've been a grenade when Austin Rivers received it. As, he pretty much tossed it (the ball) up whenever he had the ball in his hands. You can clearly see he is capable of doing more things offensively (ie, getting his players the ball), but he can occasionally force things. Hone him in a bit and he'll be a solid NBA player player in the long run.

- James McAdoo could be overrated. Granted, he's a pretty good player, but he doesn't have much lift off the floor nor nothing to counter his lack of lift when I briefly saw him. Tony Parker (another highly-rated player from the 2012 class) of the Georgia Stars had his way with him during particular possession. Drop step and McAdoo-on-you. LOL McAdoo also had trouble a couple of times when more bouncy kids were attempting to block his shot. A good player, but maybe a bit overrated. We'll see.

- Keep an eye on Archie Goodwin.... He's a 2012 player out of Arkansas and he's the goods! I watched him play on yesterday afternoon, as he plays for with the 16u Arkansas Wings. I didn't know he was rated so highly, but I can see why after witnessing him on yesterday. A very, solid player.

- Michael Carter-Williams is a skinny kid, but he has pretty solid game. Granted, he had a couple of so-so games.... He also had a couple of bonanza-like games, as well. He really attacks the basket, but he's also capable of drilling treys and mid-range jumpers. Boeheim is getting a good one.

- The Johnnies could very, well use all of the remaining 'ships, if we end up getting on a roll and get some very, solid players. Yes, there is a chance we could end up no 'ships for 2012. Once again, it all depends on what kinda players we end up getting in the 2011 class. Remember, you'll always end up with a transfer or two or someone leaving early for the NBA. So, the 2012 class, as far as scholarship offers, might be a question mark down the road.
-Beal has been great to deal with. Very nice kid. David Lee's dad is his assistant coach. His older brothers played football.
For those that haven't seen him play, the Championship game, which they reached will be televised at 7 on ESPNU. They face Team Takeover (Mike Gbinije, Mikael Hopkins, James Robinson).

-Rivers is just the most dominant offensive player, regardless of class (Shabazz Muhammad is #2). His team has no inside player and one top 100 caliber player in Trevor Lacey, who disappears constantly and is a defensive liability, due to his average lateral quickness.

-McAdoo is a passive talent, but he has benefited from pedigree and that prolonged injury.  Tony Parker should be able to kick his a##. Parker like UConn early and thankfully hates both Georgia schools.

-MCW has probably elevated his game into a McDAA..

-I'd be shocked if Lavin used all of his bullets on this class. Also, 2012 is very top heavy (wings and bigs), but light on quality pgs.

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 07:07:42 PM »
Finals are being shown right now on ESPNU

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 07:25:50 PM »

Baldi is tuning in, they said Team Takeover blewout the Oakland Soldiers by 30?

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 07:27:37 PM »
Whoever  the announcer is,compared Brad Beal to Ray Allen

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 07:51:17 PM »

East Coast D, a rare 1-3-1 zone and Teamwork>WC Offense and Talent

Box Score
http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/wp-content/themes/inside_bb/images/elite-youth/pdfs/box/53.htm

Although he's a little soft for a big, I wouldn't mind St. John's getting involved with 6'9" Mikael Hopkins. Heard WV is making a push

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 08:09:48 PM »

East Coast D, a rare 1-3-1 zone and Teamwork>WC Offense and Talent

Box Score
http://inside.nikebasketball.com/news/wp-content/themes/inside_bb/images/elite-youth/pdfs/box/53.htm

Although he's a little soft for a big, I wouldn't mind St. John's getting involved with 6'9" Mikael Hopkins. Heard WV is making a push

I havent seen too many AAU games throughout the years, im not a big fan of it. I'd rather see 2 high school teams go at it. Do the kids take AAU scene more serious than their High seasons?

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 08:22:34 PM »
Some kids are competitive and will go hard all the time, while others turn it up a notch in July when they know the coaches and scouts are watching. Rankings, reputation, and offers drive many of them.

A normal hs kid in America with D-I talent doesn't have much of a challenge in a game-by-game basis. In the NY metro area, they could be facing as many as 3-5 D-I kids in a competitive game. In these AAU games, the opposition could have as many as 8 (on the strongest, more).

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 11:34:42 PM »

That'll be correct, Baldi.  I witnessed that game on Wednesday morning.  Takeover jumped out to a 14-1 lead and that was all she wrote. 

A fight almost ensued during the last minute of the game during a loose ball scramble between the Soldiers' guard, Kiwi Gardner and Takeover's guard, AJ English.  Many of the Soliders' players ran off the bench towards the shoving match and peace was quickly restored.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 01:26:29 PM »
Question - was Norvel Pelle hurt?  Seems like he barely played for the Oakland Soldiers.

« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 02:23:20 PM »
Question - was Norvel Pelle hurt?  Seems like he barely played for the Oakland Soldiers.

From the best of my recollection....  I do not believe anyone on the Soliders bench were hurt.