Savon Goodman - SF - Academy Of The New Church - Philadelphia, PA - UNLV

• 146 replies

Marillac

Re: Savon Goodman - SF - Academy Of The New Church - Philadelphia, PA
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 08:39:15 AM »
I'd take it the other way if I were you.  Savon and Kyle are close.  Savon is now 2013 and is more of a 4 for now.  Him being flown out the same weekend that Kyle was there doesn't seem like a coincidence by Howland.

Moose

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
From Dave Telep: Savon Goodman no longer committed to Villanova. Now at Constitution. Look for UK, Villa, KU, SJU, Louisville, Texas, UCLA, Zona, maybe more

On the discussion of a Kyle Anderson/Shabazz Mohammad package to UCLA....

Interestingly, Savon Goodman took an "Official" visit (per the UCLA Scout site) at UCLA this weekend - not an unofficial.   The Bruins 2012 class has already accepted a verbal from 6'5 SF Jordan Adams (Oak Hill's #2 scorer this past season).   As a Bruin fan, I certainly hope the long held belief that SF Shabazz Mohammad is a strong UCLA lean is true, but using one of their officials for a THIRD 2012 SF sure sounds like Ben Howland is hedging his bets.    As a Bruin fan I really want Shabazz at UCLA - and Kyle as well!  No Shabazz almost assuredly means no Kyle.  The timing of this Goodman official concerns me, and should encourange y'all....

How does it work as an official if he plans to drop back to 2013? Do his officials start back to 0 when he reclassifies? Also doesn't the school year have to start to take an official? Pretty sure Philly schools haven't started yet. Maybe this week but still.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
UCLA has A LOT to do with this from what I hear. They are trying to sell both Goodman and Anderson as a package.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »
There was talk on 'Nova's Rivals board that Goodman didn't get his way and supposedly, "took his ball and went home," per se'.  One particular poster claimed, Goodman is practically being pushed to play for one of the Pac-12 schools.

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
From Dave Telep: Savon Goodman no longer committed to Villanova. Now at Constitution. Look for UK, Villa, KU, SJU, Louisville, Texas, UCLA, Zona, maybe more

On the discussion of a Kyle Anderson/Shabazz Mohammad package to UCLA....

Interestingly, Savon Goodman took an "Official" visit (per the UCLA Scout site) at UCLA this weekend - not an unofficial.   The Bruins 2012 class has already accepted a verbal from 6'5 SF Jordan Adams (Oak Hill's #2 scorer this past season).   As a Bruin fan, I certainly hope the long held belief that SF Shabazz Mohammad is a strong UCLA lean is true, but using one of their officials for a THIRD 2012 SF sure sounds like Ben Howland is hedging his bets.    As a Bruin fan I really want Shabazz at UCLA - and Kyle as well!  No Shabazz almost assuredly means no Kyle.  The timing of this Goodman official concerns me, and should encourange y'all....

How does it work as an official if he plans to drop back to 2013? Do his officials start back to 0 when he reclassifies? Also doesn't the school year have to start to take an official? Pretty sure Philly schools haven't started yet. Maybe this week but still.

He would literally had to have been in school for 1 full day before he is allowed to take officials.  If he is in his senior year, even if he plans to take a post grad year, they can be officials.  However he does not get 5 additional ones.

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 11:19:35 AM »
UCLA has A LOT to do with this from what I hear. They are trying to sell both Goodman and Anderson as a package.
As long as it is "sell," not "buy" - lol...

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 11:37:05 AM »
It wasn't an official visit. School isn't in session....Also he doesn't have the grades

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »
It wasn't an official visit. School isn't in session....Also he doesn't have the grades

He almost is certainly going to be 2013 which would blow a hole in the package deal stuff specifically Alex Kline tweeting that SHU would be in the mix for that as well since they are "recruiting" Goodman.

Poison

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 12:14:53 PM »
The best case for Seton Hall landing players like Goodman would be if he waited until the season started, AND it became clear that the program was heading in the right direction. On paper it looks like they have 3 BE players.

They could finish behind Depaul this year. We saw what happened to them when they had to carry on w out Hazell.
I see no reason why they would be any better this season especially considering that Robinson and Hazell, their two best players are out.

We'll see though. Kids like to go with the hot hand. Seton Hall would be a dramatic surprise if they made the NIT.

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2011, 03:08:37 PM »
From the recruit scoop- Since re-opening his recruitment from Villanova, Savon Goodman's HS coach has received calls from Texas, Oregon, UCLA & Louisville.

Doesn't appear that he is a target of ours

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2011, 01:05:22 PM »
Per scout.com covering the City of Palms:

*Savon Goodman listed Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova, St. John’s, USC, UCLA, Arizona and Memphis as the schools currently showing him interest.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1140625.html

Goodman taking his time

Former Villanova commit Savon Goodman isn’t rushing into a college decision.

In fact, Goodman seems more concerned with making sure he stays on top of his academics than diving back into the recruiting process.

“I’m focused on school and grades,” Goodman said following a loss to Branche (Fla.) Ely at the City of Palms tournament.

Goodman did list Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova, St. John’s, USC, UCLA, Arizona and Memphis as schools that were showing interest.

“I know I want to visit UCLA and Arizona,” he added.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1140652.html

Moose

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2011, 01:14:31 PM »
Is he '12 or '13?

sju89tr

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 01:18:20 PM »
Per scout.com covering the City of Palms:

*Savon Goodman listed Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova, St. John’s, USC, UCLA, Arizona and Memphis as the schools currently showing him interest.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1140625.html

Goodman taking his time

Former Villanova commit Savon Goodman isn’t rushing into a college decision.

In fact, Goodman seems more concerned with making sure he stays on top of his academics than diving back into the recruiting process.

“I’m focused on school and grades,” Goodman said following a loss to Branche (Fla.) Ely at the City of Palms tournament.

Goodman did list Kentucky, Kansas, Villanova, St. John’s, USC, UCLA, Arizona and Memphis as schools that were showing interest.

“I know I want to visit UCLA and Arizona,” he added.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1140652.html

Goodman and Miller/Arizona would be a fatal collision waiting to happen.

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 01:18:59 PM »
Per Dave Telep....

Goodman has to resist urge to skip steps
Combo forward Savon Goodman (Philadelphia, Pa./Constitution) will be one of the bigger spring names on the board. There’s a lot of traffic here to see him at the City of Palms. St. John’s and Connecticut were in the stands for his first game on Monday. Goodman said Pittsburgh, UCLA, Temple, the Red Storm and Missouri are tracking him hard.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/dave-telep/post?id=621&_slug_=ricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fdave-telep%2fpost%3fid%3d621%26_slug_%3dricardo-gathers-his-thoughts-at-city-of-palms

« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2011, 12:17:15 AM »
He's a savage but he'll need to prep

« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2011, 12:35:43 AM »
Love his game. Would definitely help get things going in the right direction again if he were to come here/qualify

ris

« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2011, 12:59:55 AM »
With Harkless, Pointer and Garrett the small forward position is the most covered.

And we are recruiting Goodman and Wainright.

Strange.

MCNPA

« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2011, 01:55:21 AM »
With Harkless, Pointer and Garrett the small forward position is the most covered.

Strange.

IMO its nothing to worry about.  Harkless will go pro after sophomore season if everything goes at the rate it is now, and good for him.  He'll be the next NBA star representing SJU and a great tool for Lavin to sell kids on.  Maurice Harkless will be Lavin's poster-boy for sending kids to the NBA.   

On the topic of Goodman, he's a beast and we should certainly recruit him.  Whether he has top prep or not.  Go after the talent, wherever it is.  Hopefully we keep pushing for him and he heads to a good prep school if that's his destination.  Wainright we're in the home stretch for.  Long arms and has a bit of Ron-Ron in him, but a better offensive player and athlete.  Love the guys that the staff is involved with.  Don't forget' we're also in real good with jermaine Lawrence.  Lots to look forward to.

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011, 09:18:26 AM »

Strange.

Strange staff was looking at PGs when Nuri, Green, Stith, Harrison were on the roster. Can never be too thin

Moose

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 10:05:19 AM »

Strange.

Strange staff was looking at PGs when Nuri, Green, Stith, Harrison were on the roster. Can never be too thin

What PG's were they looking at besides Sina in '13?