Daniel West - PG - Saginaw HS - Saginaw, MI - TENNESSE

• 39 replies
Re: Daniel West - Another Larry Wright ???
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 12:53:48 PM »
I asked Larry about this kid back in September he said he likes him a lot and he is really good. His coach at Saginaw likes to run a really uptempo offense and he said this kid can fly. We have been involved with him since back in the summer but he was another guy we needed to keep under the radar and it seems he is on others now.
Why would you need to keep him "under the radar?"
Are these coaches that afraid of competition?
What other high-major offers does this student-athlete have?

Memphis and Tennessee.... they are two decent teams that are interested in the kid
Interested and offered are two highly different things in recruiting

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2008, 01:08:06 PM »
I asked Larry about this kid back in September he said he likes him a lot and he is really good. His coach at Saginaw likes to run a really uptempo offense and he said this kid can fly. We have been involved with him since back in the summer but he was another guy we needed to keep under the radar and it seems he is on others now.

Memphis and Tennessee.... they are two decent teams that are interested in the kid

"Tennessee has offered after coming up here a couple times over the past three weeks," said Saginaw head coach Lou Dawkins. "South Florida is in the picture. St. John's has offered. Memphis has shown interest but hasn't been up here yet. Minnesota has been in a couple times, and SMU has offered."
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2008, 01:27:44 PM »
i can't see stj beating out tenn.  esp. w/ lofton leaving they have a place to fill.  and who would play for norm over pearl?!

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2008, 02:19:03 PM »

"Tennessee has offered after coming up here a couple times over the past three weeks," said Saginaw head coach Lou Dawkins. "South Florida is in the picture. St. John's has offered. Memphis has shown interest but hasn't been up here yet. Minnesota has been in a couple times, and SMU has offered."

SMU, St. John's, and allegedly Tennessee

Yugo, used Saturn, and Porsche
That sounds plausible.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »

That sounds plausible.

Stop being a hater its just an old act. A player isn't measured by the schools that recruit him. Is Jason Thompson a bad player because he plays for Rider? He is a top 15 pick for the NBA draft. Steve Nash went to Santa Clara he must suck too. Perhaps be happy that St. John's got on this kid early and hung around after he got out of his commit to Bradley. I'm not saying he is the answer but he is a solid option.

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 12:39:52 AM »

That sounds plausible.

Stop being a hater its just an old act. A player isn't measured by the schools that recruit him. Is Jason Thompson a bad player because he plays for Rider? He is a top 15 pick for the NBA draft. Steve Nash went to Santa Clara he must suck too. Perhaps be happy that St. John's got on this kid early and hung around after he got out of his commit to Bradley. I'm not saying he is the answer but he is a solid option.
Stop being naive.
It's as good a gauge as any for two people that are not going to make the trip up to Saginaw, Mi.
The two players you cited are outliers or exceptions to the rule.
If I told a rational college basketball fan:
- recruit A was being recruited by Santa Clara, Wagner, Montana, Northwestern, and St. John's
-recruit B was being recruited by UConn, UCLA, Texas, Kentucky, and Michigan St.
and then asked, "Which recruit is a better prospect?"
They would invariably answer, "Recruit B."

The problem is that kids tend to claim offers that they do not have. The writer has the responsibility to check with the relevant coaching staffs to verify that there are, indeed, actual offers. When a kid mentions average to below-average programs and then mentions the current #1 team as his offers, it should raise a red flag with the writer.

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 01:09:45 AM »
NBA drafted players...
Nick Fazekas 3 starNevada recruited by marquette, utah, fresno state, uc santa barbara
Rodney Stuckey 3 star Eastern Washington recruited by washington, washington st
Jared Jordan Not rated Marist couldn't even find who he was recruited by

Other notable guys
AJ Graves Butler Not Rated couldn't find who he was recruited by
Jamal Tatum 2 star Southern Illinois recruited by drake, iowa st, missouri st, nebraska, st. louis

There are plenty more we could add to this list....who recruited Jameer Nelson? Adam Morrison?

Is Daniel West the next great? I don't know. Should I dismiss him or praise him for who he is being recruited by? No. He is putting up monster stats, winning in what I know to be a tough league in the state of Michigan, and from what Larry told me I can determine he is a pretty good ball player. 

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 11:47:27 AM »
The problem is that kids tend to claim offers that they do not have. The writer has the responsibility to check with the relevant coaching staffs to verify that there are, indeed, actual offers. When a kid mentions average to below-average programs and then mentions the current #1 team as his offers, it should raise a red flag with the writer.

"Tennessee has offered after coming up here a couple times over the past three weeks," said Saginaw head coach Lou Dawkins.

Its not a players claim...its his high school coach.  Is he lying too?  Lists under scout and rival are not always correct.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 11:48:58 AM »
NBA drafted players...
Nick Fazekas 3 starNevada recruited by marquette, utah, fresno state, uc santa barbara

Other notable guys
Jamal Tatum 2 star Southern Illinois recruited by drake, iowa st, missouri st, nebraska, st. louis

There are plenty more we could add to this list....who recruited Jameer Nelson? Adam Morrison?

Is Daniel West the next great? I don't know. Should I dismiss him or praise him for who he is being recruited by? No. He is putting up monster stats, winning in what I know to be a tough league in the state of Michigan, and from what Larry told me I can determine he is a pretty good ball player. 

Add Beverly...the kid who went to Arkansas...who blew up his senior year and had no major offers. 

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 12:59:31 PM »
NBA drafted players...

Other notable guys

Add Beverly...the kid who went to Arkansas...who blew up his senior year and had no major offers. 
Yeah, if you don't consider Michigan major.
http://maizenbrew.blogspot.com/2006/04/all-beverly-all-time.html

« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2008, 01:07:37 PM »
NBA drafted players...

Other notable guys

He didn't have high major interest until late in his senior year. 

« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2008, 01:10:23 PM »
NBA drafted players...

Other notable guys

He didn't have high major interest until late in his senior year. 
You may recall that people were staying away from him due to his very weak academic situation.

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2008, 01:30:41 PM »
You may recall that people were staying away from him due to his very weak academic situation.

Yes I do recall...but he also wasn't receiving much interest until he lit up the Chicago public school league his senior year.  Back to the point...Tennessee has offered Daniel West!!!

Randomhero423

« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2008, 09:12:03 PM »
daniel west to tenn. it looks like.

« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2008, 09:28:50 PM »
daniel west to tenn. it looks like.
I was hoping T Holloway would leave Indiana for Tennessee and bring West to NYC.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 09:29:50 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2008, 10:24:44 PM »

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2008, 08:25:33 AM »
Not exactly a done deal for west going to Tennessee according to his HS coach

« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2008, 01:12:55 PM »
looks like its tennessee.....per redmen.com...

http://www.hoopsreport.com/news/hoopsnews/volspickupsecondcommitmentoftheday
redmen.com must have changed formats.  that looks like hoops report.

kjd01067

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2008, 10:12:28 AM »
Rivals says he verballed to Tenn yesterday.  Looks like we lose out again

Randomhero423

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2008, 11:01:16 AM »
0/10??