Tevin Baskin - SF - Trinity Catholic HS - Stamford, CT

• 43 replies
Tevin Baskin - SF - Trinity Catholic HS - Stamford, CT
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:34:41 PM »
Choz or anyone else with info, I just saw Baskin and Trinity Catholic, my old school, win the FCIAC in Connecticut. Baskin looked extremly athletic. I heard he plays for the Gauchos as well and I know he's been to at least one game. What kind of chancedo we have? and what do you think of him as a player? Thanks
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 11:05:47 AM by kjd01067 »

Re: Tevin Baskin
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 04:43:29 PM »
Choz or anyone else with info, I just saw Baskin and Trinity Catholic, my old school, win the FCIAC in Connecticut. Baskin looked extremly athletic. I heard he plays for the Gauchos as well and I know he's been to at least one game. What kind of chancedo we have? and what do you think of him as a player? Thanks
He's an excellent run/jump athlete with an improving jump shot as well as improving range.
Here's a highlight reel from his first two years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeKOQf-QOc0

kob24

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 09:08:57 PM »
they have a very good chance with him. from what he was telling me he has them as his top 3

mkras99

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 09:11:44 PM »
they have a very good chance with him. from what he was telling me he has them as his top 3

Who are the other two schools?

Thomas Olik

Re: Tevin Baskin - SF - Trinity Catholic HS - Stamford, CT
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 07:16:46 AM »
This kid really looks like something to follow.

Thomas Olik

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:02:06 PM »
This kid really looks like something to follow.
If accurate, this is disappointing news.

http://www.auburnvillager.com/story.html?1215111951016147
The Tigers, however, are making some progress on one prospect.

Tevin Baskin, a 6-foot-6 small forward from Trinity Catholic of Stamford, Ct. Baskin, ranked in the top 7 high school small forwards in the nation, has narrowed his choice of colleges to Auburn, Seton Hall, Xavier and new nemesis, Virginia Tech.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:03:27 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
From Zags,

I spoke to Tevin Baskin tonight and he says the recent report that he had cut his list to four schools was completely “false.”
“That’s false information,” said the 6-foot-7, 205-pound Baskin, a rising senior combo forward at Trinity (Conn.) Catholic. “I have not narrowed down anything at all. I don’t have a list as of now. I’m looking to narrow it down at the end of August or early September.”
A recent report out of Auburn said Baskin was down to Xavier, Auburn, Seton Hall and Virginia Tech, but Baskin says he’s looking at nearly a dozen schools.
“Right now I don’t have a list,” he said. ”I have offers on the table from Xavier, Rutgers, Auburn, Virginia Tech, Seton Hall, St. John’s, Rhode Island, UMass, Fairfield and Oklahoma State.”
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 06:09:40 PM »
CATCHING UP WITH TEVIN BASKIN

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/catching-up-with-tevin-baskin/#more-2420

Tevin Baskin, a 6-foot-6, 205 pound forward from Trinity Catholic High School in Stamford (CT) has had another productive AAU season for the powerful NY Gauchos. After averaging over 20 points, nine rebounds at five blocks as a 1st team all-state selection this past high school season, basin has battled through an injury plagued AAU season, but is finally healthy and looking forward to the next couple weeks.

“The summer has been going well,” Baskin said. “I think I’m close to 100% being that i was dealing with injuries in the start of the (AAU) season.”

Injuries were a theme for the Gauchos early on, but even as the Gauchos were Battered, they Were Ready to Rumble (NBE Basketball Report) when they took home the Rumble in the Bronx championship in June.

At the ‘Rumble’, Baskin showed his versatile and active game hitting the glass for numerous rebounds, converting inside and putting the ball on the floor from the wing to score on drives to the hoop or pull up jumpers in the mid-range area. After playing inside much of the winter for his high school team, Baskin gets a great opportunity to show colleges his all-around game on the AAU circuit and he has notices the improvements himself. When asked what areas he felt he has improved in the most this summer, Baskin replied: “My ball-handling and my mid-range Jump shot.”

As for recruiting, Baskin is in no hurry. He will play out the AAU circuit with the Gauchos, which includes the next two weeks in Florida for the 17-U showcase and AAU Nationals. Once the AAU events wind down, he will begin thinking more about his future for college.

“In August I’ll be working out and I plan on setting up a few visits along with narrowing down my schools,” Baskin said. “I’ll decide which ones I’ll be visiting once i get back from Florida and I (will) sit down and talk with my parents, as of right now i really don’t have a stand-out (list) or favorite.”

Keeping his recruiting list close to the vest is understandable, just a few weeks ago an erroneous report from the Auburn Villager stated that Baskin had narrowed his college choices to Xavier, Auburn, Seton Hall and Virginia Tech. When contacted by ZagsBlog.net, Baskin cleared up the situation, saying “That’s false information” and made it pretty clear that Baskin is Wide Open in the recruiting process.

Baskin also told ZagsBlog.net that he’s considering all three New York-area schools, Rutgers, St. John’s and Seton Hall.

“Most likely I will be visiting some of the local schools,” Baskin told the NBE Basketball Report. But, do not read too much into the statement as a hint for a college decision, Baskin insisted that the right fit could come from a school locally or farther away.

“The distance in the schools does not matter. I’m just looking a school that fits me well educations-wise and Basketball-wise, I think I can play in any conference around the country” Baskin said. “I just want to put the state of Connecticut back on the map. The only thing people think of when they hear Connecticut (in basketball) is UConn, but hopefully I can change that.”

We will continue to monitor the recruiting process of Tevin Baskin as well as the evolution of his play on the court.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »
Quote from: oldred10
I just want to put the state of Connecticut back on the map. The only thing people think of when they hear Connecticut (in basketball) is UConn, but hopefully I can change that.

Thats a freaking riot. Love the kids enthusiasm though.

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2008, 06:48:50 PM »
the only thing i think of is quinnipiac.

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:31 PM »
http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/catching-up-again-with-tevin-baskin/#more-2467

CATCHING UP (AGAIN) WITH TEVIN BASKIN

Athletic forward seeing school list expand after impressive summer

By Raymond Balter

Previously published reports that have appeared on the internet have asserted that Tevin Baskin, rising senior from Trinity Catholic in Stamford, Conn, is wide open in his recruiting process. After conversing with him recently, NBE Basketball Report can attest that this is indeed the case. Baskin said he’d like to make a decision by November, but added that “the process is crazy so it may take longer than that”.

“There are new people in the picture every day,” Tevin Baskin said. “Right now, everyone is equal.” Those schools that would all seem on equal footing in their pursuit of him would be UMass, St John’s, Xavier, Providence, Rutgers, Auburn, and “a couple of others,” he said. He paused for a moment, perhaps drawing a momentary blank, then added that “Virginia had been coming pretty hard, Clemson too.”

I asked him about two other schools, Seton Hall and Connecticut. About the Pirates, he was quick to add, “Oh yeah, they’re still in the picture. I don’t want to leave them out.” About the Huskies, though, he had this to say: “I haven’t heard from them. Maybe they want something that I don’t have, but I can’t worry about that. I’m happy with what I have (as far as offers).”

“Right now,” he went on, “I’m just trying to see what everyone has to offer aside from basketball. I’m trying to see what schools really want me or need me.” He said distance is not a factor, and also said that at the moment there is nothing that specific education-wise about any school that would be a factor, although he did state that he would like to look into the graduation rate for student-athletes at each school.

Like most young men I speak with, the chance for immediate playing time could be a factor, and so too could the recent success (or lack of it) that each potential suitor has had, as he said, “I’m used to winning.” One thing that the school that eventually lands Baskin will not have to worry about will be his availability as a freshman. “With the way my parents and family are, there will be no problems with grades,” he said.

As far as his individual game, Baskin addressed the issue that commonly comes up when discussing him: his extraordinary athleticism. “Athleticism can only get you so far,” he said. “”Eventually is has to come down to fundamentals. You can only out-jump people for so long.” He feels he’s made good progress, adding that, “my ball-handling and my mid-range jumper are coming along.”

He went on: “I’m more than just a high-flyer, and that’s what I’ve been labeled as. It motivates me. If people back off me, if I can show them that I can hit that open shot, or bring the ball up court and dish it … being able to do that, that’s what motivates me.”
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2008, 08:12:49 PM »
By the way, I don't know if someone has an idea of his defensive skills?  He's supposed to block shots, does he rebound well?  Can he play power forward at the Big East level?  Because a mobile defensive forward would be nice on the squad... would have been nice against Joe Alexander and that kind of power/ quickness combination.

kob24

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2008, 08:48:17 PM »
he needs to be a three on this level

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »
Tevin Baskin

So y'all know how I dont like to compare players to other players 'casue it just too simple and y'all dont get a tru idea of what they game is like.

Well I'm a gonna break my rule just this one time because I aint eva seen two playas mo alike. Tevin Baskin remind me in game, in physicality and in personality of my boy Brian Reese, Tolentine (remember!) All American and starting small forward on UNC's 1993 championship team.

I remember when I first saw Tev years ago and I thought Bri had a younger brother or something. The resemblence was there. Even the face, yo. But as Tev grew, so was his game. So here we go...

Tev is a straight up sick athlete. He dunk everytin in sight. He dunk from a standstill position wit ease. He dunk in traffic. He dunk on bigger playas. He dunk on the break. He dunk on an alley-oop. He'd dunk on yo moms if he had to.

He one of the best run and jump playas I seen in a long while. But that dont tell his game completely.

Tev know his way 'round the basket and he an excellent finisher regardless. He always got his head up waitin fo the ball. He alway know where he is in relation to his defender and to the basket. He know which angles is best to cut and which ones take too many steps to get to the hole or which ones is too tough a position fo another playa to deliver him the ball. He know when to use the hoop to his advantage either by reversin or positionin hisself for an easy basket. And he know when to sometime go up fo a layup instead of a blown dunk (took him awhile to learn this, but now he a master).

Tev got hisself a lanky body like Bri and it fillin out pretty good now that he a senior. He able to block shots mo easily cause he got hisself such long arms. But it also allow him to work inside cause he dont get pushed around and he have better elevation than most evryone so he can easily go up 'gainst brothers two or three inches taller.

He also jet down the court wit his long legs. It help him on D, but like most evry high school baller he gotta start payin mo mind to his D. Soemtime he just go fo the highlight block instead of playin good solid fundamental D. But like I say, thats the norm in high schools. One thing he do do is bound. Very good at blockin out and cleanin glass.

Tev can hit the mid-range J wit consistency, but he need work on it. He also need much work on his long-range J. His handle is very good on the high school level for a playa his size, but may only be decent on the college level. He got hisself some good passin skills but he aint Kevin Parrom (my next entry).

Anyways I could go on and on. But I'll just say exactly what Kob say. Tev is a straight up 3 on the next level. Just like Bri. No doubt.

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2008, 12:10:53 PM »
Tevin Baskin

So y'all know how I dont like to compare players to other players 'casue it just too simple and y'all dont get a tru idea of what they game is like.

Well I'm a gonna break my rule just this one time because I aint eva seen two playas mo alike. Tevin Baskin remind me in game, in physicality and in personality of my boy Brian Reese, Tolentine (remember!) All American and starting small forward on UNC's 1993 championship team.

I remember when I first saw Tev years ago and I thought Bri had a younger brother or something. The resemblence was there. Even the face, yo. But as Tev grew, so was his game. So here we go...

Tev is a straight up sick athlete. He dunk everytin in sight. He dunk from a standstill position wit ease. He dunk in traffic. He dunk on bigger playas. He dunk on the break. He dunk on an alley-oop. He'd dunk on yo moms if he had to.

He one of the best run and jump playas I seen in a long while. But that dont tell his game completely.

Tev know his way 'round the basket and he an excellent finisher regardless. He always got his head up waitin fo the ball. He alway know where he is in relation to his defender and to the basket. He know which angles is best to cut and which ones take too many steps to get to the hole or which ones is too tough a position fo another playa to deliver him the ball. He know when to use the hoop to his advantage either by reversin or positionin hisself for an easy basket. And he know when to sometime go up fo a layup instead of a blown dunk (took him awhile to learn this, but now he a master).

Tev got hisself a lanky body like Bri and it fillin out pretty good now that he a senior. He able to block shots mo easily cause he got hisself such long arms. But it also allow him to work inside cause he dont get pushed around and he have better elevation than most evryone so he can easily go up 'gainst brothers two or three inches taller.

He also jet down the court wit his long legs. It help him on D, but like most evry high school baller he gotta start payin mo mind to his D. Soemtime he just go fo the highlight block instead of playin good solid fundamental D. But like I say, thats the norm in high schools. One thing he do do is bound. Very good at blockin out and cleanin glass.

Tev can hit the mid-range J wit consistency, but he need work on it. He also need much work on his long-range J. His handle is very good on the high school level for a playa his size, but may only be decent on the college level. He got hisself some good passin skills but he aint Kevin Parrom (my next entry).

Anyways I could go on and on. But I'll just say exactly what Kob say. Tev is a straight up 3 on the next level. Just like Bri. No doubt.

-Choz4Life

Once again, thanks for the info choz.. 8) ... saw this kid play on MSG & came away VERY impressed... runs the court like a deer, great athlete/finisher, jumpin' jack in the paint, great "help" defender & blocked any shot that came his way... still looked very raw offensively in terms of his jumper, drive & handle.... btw - a reliable "source" told me that the staff is not recruiting him as hard as some other guys like Lawrence. Not sure if that has something to do with his academics or other factors... but imho, this kid will be a "star" if he can knock down his jumper with more consistancy & i would LOVE to see him in an SJU uniform..  ;D .. peace!

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5301504563293168325&ei=JU2oSIqLDIyqiwLzk_W4BA&q=tevin+baskin&vt=lf&hl=en
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 12:14:26 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2008, 12:16:07 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/18/tevin-baskin-trims-list/

The 6-foot-7, 205-pound Baskin plans to visit Providence, Rutgers, Xavier, Auburn, St. John’s and UMass.
“Those are six schools that I’m definitely going to visit because I have interest in them,” Baskin said Monday by phone. “It can change at any moment because people are calling and things happen. You can wake up the next morning and they have someone signed in your position.
“I’m going to end up visiting UMass again. I know I’m definitely going to go to Providence, along with St. john’s, Xavier and Rutgers. Those are some of the schools that I definitely plan on visiting.”
Baskin has already visited St. John’s and Rutgers unofficially.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2008, 12:26:23 PM »
I wonder what Conn HS rules R regarding POY? With Lawrence and Parrom in the state, things could get tricky.
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.