Marco interview

• 12 replies
Marco interview
« on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:55 PM »
http://www.basketamericain.com/en-une/en-une-ncaa/itw-marc-antoine-bourgault-st-johns-mon-but-la-nba/2012/

that is the link to the interview with marco. Unfortunately it is in French but you can translate it using this website  http://translation.babylon.com/french/to-english/

Heres one part I found interesting ..

Q: What will your role next year with the Red Storms?
 A: I should be in the five major or output of bench as a sixth man. I have a fairly important role as a superb shooting player but also because I have more experience than some in terms of QI basketball. We are a team fairly young but very talented, it will surprise many people.

It looks like marco is expecting to be part of the main rotation. I dont think hell be the sixth man but I think hell be in the group of 8 players who get the most minutes.

***From Dave: If you use Google Chrome as a browser it has built in translator. Just right click, translate, if it doesn't automatically ask you.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:28:01 PM by Dave »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

LJSA

Re: Marco interview
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 06:18:45 PM »
A cocky Frenchman. Who would have thought?

Poison

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 06:27:43 PM »
He could start at the two alongside DLo.

LJSA

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »

Your scoring prediction could come true if that happens, but I think he's Harrison's primary backup the day Branch becomes eligible.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing what Bourgault could do at SF against weaker opponents or when we have a big lead.

MCNPA

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 08:03:11 PM »
I think he'll be in the top 8 as well. 

Poison

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 11:22:13 PM »

Your scoring prediction could come true if that happens, but I think he's Harrison's primary backup the day Branch becomes eligible.

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing what Bourgault could do at SF against weaker opponents or when we have a big lead.

I agree with that call. However, if we are talking scoring, Jamal's addition will only help Marco. Still, to beat the zone we need guys with shooting skills and court vision. I see that in what I've seen from Marco. Still, this is all harmless speculation.

However, I've guessed right before. I saw a similar skill in Hardy. Too bad for Norm that he didn't.

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:54 PM »

I agree with that call. However, if we are talking scoring, Jamal's addition will only help Marco. Still, to beat the zone we need guys with shooting skills and court vision. I see that in what I've seen from Marco. Still, this is all harmless speculation.

However, I've guessed right before. I saw a similar skill in Hardy. Too bad for Norm that he didn't.

Norm landed Hardy. Must have seen something

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2012, 11:29:38 PM »
I thought someone interviewed our own Baldi when I read this.

Bon Chance, Marco!

Poison

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 01:59:59 AM »

Norm landed Hardy. Must have seen something

I think Lavin taking over and starting Hardy with the ball in his hand changed Hardy's game. Lavin recognized where Hardy would excel. Clearly Norm didn't know what he had. To me, yes, his recruiting was poor, but his head for the game was downright terrible. That's worse. I'd much rather have the coach over the recruiter.

Now we have both. Lavin will take the city back this year.

desco80

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »

Would you agree a lot depends on how well he can move defensively?    If Marco's on the floor, there's no question he can shoot it.
But I think the staff has gotta see if he can handle his responsibilities in the zone... or else they can't really afford to have him out there against some opponents.

But, he's a year removed from knee surgery.. so maybe he's moving better now.   I think we'll have to wait and see.    But if he's on the floor he can light it up for sure. 

Like you said, harmless speculation at this point, but I think the staff is going to want to see Marco playing some D before they give him the big minutes.   Just my take.   Think they'll lean towards a guy like Dom or Phil until they're sure Marco isn't a defensive liability.

MCNPA

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 03:42:25 PM »

Would you agree a lot depends on how well he can move defensively?    If Marco's on the floor, there's no question he can shoot it.
But I think the staff has gotta see if he can handle his responsibilities in the zone... or else they can't really afford to have him out there against some opponents.

But, he's a year removed from knee surgery.. so maybe he's moving better now.   I think we'll have to wait and see.    But if he's on the floor he can light it up for sure. 

Like you said, harmless speculation at this point, but I think the staff is going to want to see Marco playing some D before they give him the big minutes.   Just my take.   Think they'll lean towards a guy like Dom or Phil until they're sure Marco isn't a defensive liability.

Sometimes you need offense on the court more than defensive ability.  Syracuse doesn't play Triche for his defense.  Zones are built to blunt that effect of slightly lesser defenders.  Marco moves well and is not slow.  He's not a thoroughbred like many others on this team, but sometimes you just need basketball players who know how to play. 

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »

Sometimes you need offense on the court more than defensive ability.  Syracuse doesn't play Triche for his defense.  Zones are built to blunt that effect of slightly lesser defenders.  Marco moves well and is not slow.  He's not a thoroughbred like many others on this team, but sometimes you just need basketball players who know how to play. 

could not agree more with your last statement MCN. From the little I saw of Marco it was very apparent that he simply knew how to play the game. He never held on to the ball longer than he had to and he moved well without the ball. I would bet that he will be an excellent help defender and rebounder.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:37 PM »

Fair enough.  If he moves as well without the ball and can pass a little too, like you guys are saying, then it certainly sounds like he'll get the playing time.
And I agree with you MCN, about needing scorers on the court sometimes - even if it means giving up a little athleticism/D.    All depends on how much he adds to the offense, and how much of a liability he is defensively.