Big East could vote to dissolve

• 801 replies

ras

Re: Big East could vote to dissolve
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »
 East -west  divisions would be nice, Play each team twice in your division , once in other  division. West coast teams, SDSU,UNLV,Gonzaga..etc.

paultzman

« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2012, 10:45:43 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: Temple has a full vote in Big East matters, the league confirmed to @SNYtv, so the Catholic schools don't have power to dissolve Big East.”

DFF6

« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »
“@AdamZagoria: Temple has a full vote in Big East matters, the league confirmed to @SNYtv, so the Catholic schools don't have power to dissolve Big East.”

If true, that sucks.  So much for the Catholic 7 taking the BE name with them to form a new conference.  We'll need to defect from the conference and forfeit any residual BE benefits to go to greener pastures now

Moose

« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2012, 11:03:12 AM »

If true, that sucks.  So much for the Catholic 7 taking the BE name with them to form a new conference.  We'll need to defect from the conference and forfeit any residual BE benefits to go to greener pastures now

Thats what lawyers are here for.
Remember who broke the Slice news

desco80

« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2012, 11:07:24 AM »
Q&A with Marquette AD

http://t.co/DSfCDxvV

Nice comments, thanks for posting it.   He was pretty open about it.   Sounds like they're going to look at what makes the most sense for the basketball only schools.   

paultzman

« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
By LENN ROBBINS
Last Updated: 9:20 AM, December 12, 2012
Posted: 1:52 AM, December 12, 2012

Lenn Robbins
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, unless you’re a non-FBS-playing member of the Big East.

The Georgetowns, Villanovas and Providences of the world, are sitting here today doing a nuclear slow burn. All of the founding members of the Big East, are feeling like the woman scorned these days.

The Louisvilles and Pittsburghs and Rutgers of the world used you, used your good name and once unparalleled television exposure. They courted you, married you, and once they had established themselves, left you for the 21-year-old, long-legged blonde.

Quick, call Taylor Swift.

Surely she can pen a really nasty ditty that would capture the anger of the basketball schools, who are so ticked off it wouldn’t surprise anyone if they retained the nastiest, most cutthroat divorce attorney in the nation.

Remember, it was Rutgers and Pitt that led the charge more than a year ago to reject a lucrative extension from ESPN in favor to testing the open market. The Scarlet Knights are in litigation with the Big East over their impending move to the Big Ten, and the Panthers, headed to the ACC, recently settled with the league.

Yes, blood is boiling, palms are sweating. Just one thing: Before schools such as St. John’s and Seton Hall file for divorce, they need to know exactly what the ramifications of such a move will be. Never make an important decision in an emotional state.

To that end, The seven non-FBS schools — DePaul, Georgetown, St. John’s, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence and Villanova — met on Sunday at St. John’s, said a Post source. The source described the meeting as one of information exchange — including splitting from the football schools — but it was not a “take action” meeting, although a six-month timeline was put in place.

The reality is on this date, 12-12-12, no one is sure if the clock will strike midnight for the Big East.

According to one report, the Big East can expect to get between $60 million and $80 million annually in its next deal. Based on the league’s revenue sharing structure, that means the seven member schools would receive a cut of about $1 million annually, not nearly enough to ensure financial security.

A source told The Post that Big East commissioner Mike Aresco, who attended the meeting on Sunday, believes he will secure a deal closer to $100 million, which would pay the seven hoops schools closer to $3 million. That number is not one the basketball schools could get on their own.

The idea of splitting and adding schools such as Butler, Dayton, Saint Louis and Xavier is appealing, especially to long-time Big East fans fed up with the chew-and-screw antics of the football money-grubbers. But they might be better off, financially, to resist the urge to leave their FBS football-playing brethren.

The Atlantic 10 is a great basketball league with some universities that also have terrific FCS programs. A-10 schools earn about $750,000 a year from their media deals. The attorneys that handle the Big East’s new deal probably will earn more money in fees.

There have been reports in the last 24 hours the Big East is leaning toward a split, that the Atlantic 10 is very interested in absorbing most of the Big East schools and creating a 21-school super hoops conference, and that programs such as Boise State, Houston and SMU are exploring exit strategies.

There is validity to all of this, but right now the climate is too volatile for any decision to be made. And no decision needs to be made.

The seven basketball schools — voting in unison — would have the power to dissolve the league, keep the Big East name and the right to play its postseason tournament at the Garden. They have that power until July 1, when the terms of the next TV deal will be known and a rational decision can be made.

DFF6

« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »

As someone who both resents and resembles a lawyer, I don't share your optimism on this one, Moose. 

Moose

« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2012, 11:13:24 AM »

As someone who both resents and resembles a lawyer, I don't share your optimism on this one, Moose. 

I'm sure a lawyer can push thru the BE name and those particulars.  Plus with regards to MSG I don't think they would want to be associated with a conference that didn't include us, Nova, Gtown etc....  They have no use for a conference with Houston, SMU, Memphis, etc..
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
The Big East is dead.  Long Live the Big East!

« Reply #69 on: December 12, 2012, 11:46:10 AM »
So if temple has rights (so dumb) then we have to hope for conn or cinci to get pulled before July. Im becoming more and more of a fan of us 7 schools plus 3-5 top basketball only schools. Create some rivalries. NYC will take care of our national appeal.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #70 on: December 12, 2012, 11:48:35 AM »
"In again, out again Finnegan" Come on Zags!

“@AdamZagoria: OK, I stand corrected. Turns out Temple cannot stop the dissolution of the Big East. Got conflicting info, but source confirms they can't.”

DFF6

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2012, 12:00:48 PM »
"In again, out again Finnegan" Come on Zags!

“@AdamZagoria: OK, I stand corrected. Turns out Temple cannot stop the dissolution of the Big East. Got conflicting info, but source confirms they can't.”

Assuming this Zags post is true, great news!  If the 7 have the leverage to take all of the BE marbles and make a new conference, our prospects for a successful conference transition go up considerably, IMO. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:01:31 PM by DFF6 »

« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2012, 12:01:47 PM »
Seems like this all will be decided in a court of law.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Marillac

« Reply #73 on: December 12, 2012, 12:28:32 PM »
Creighton (#6), Wichita State (#38), Xavier (#39), and Dayton (#28) are all non-football schools ranked in the top 40 for attendance.  St. Louis (#66) is also historically top 25 in attendance.   Add those schools to the "Catholic Seven," and also go out and grab Gonzaga and Butler.  I want nothing to do with the crappy football schools remaining. 

We would have 15 of the top 85 (Butler #78 and Gonzaga #85) schools in attendance nationally, and the NYC, DC, Chicago, Philly, St. Louis, Cincy, Milwuakee, and NE tv markets.  This would be the second best basketball conference in America behind the ACC. 

sju89tr

« Reply #74 on: December 12, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
Creighton (#6), Wichita State (#38), Xavier (#39), and Dayton (#28) are all non-football schools ranked in the top 40 for attendance.  St. Louis (#66) is also historically top 25 in attendance.   Add those schools to the "Catholic Seven," and also go out and grab Gonzaga and Butler.  I want nothing to do with the crappy football schools remaining. 

We would have 15 of the top 85 (Butler #78 and Gonzaga #85) schools in attendance nationally, and the NYC, DC, Chicago, Philly, St. Louis, Cincy, Milwuakee, and NE tv markets.  This would be the second best basketball conference in America behind the ACC.

I would do a mega 24 team coast to coast basketball conference trying to hit every major media market and the tv dollars will come 

DFF6

« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2012, 12:53:35 PM »

I would do a mega 24 team coast to coast basketball conference trying to hit every major media market and the tv dollars will come

A conference that large would have to generate a lot of money, much more so than $60-$80 million range that the BE is currently looking at.  Otherwise, each program would get a few hundred thousand dollars in revenue sharing.  Couple that with the increased costs of managing a coast to coast conference, and it all adds up to an unwieldy situation.

Marillac

« Reply #76 on: December 12, 2012, 01:02:39 PM »

I would never want to go above 16.  I can't think of 17 other schools that can bring enough to the table to share profits with. 

LJSA

« Reply #77 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »

I would never want to go above 16.  I can't think of 17 other schools that can bring enough to the table to share profits with. 

A few of the ones that I'd want for a Western division in a mega conference have football, so luring them would be tough.

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2012, 01:15:47 PM »
In the immortal words of Chance Gardener " I like to watch" :-[

sju89tr

« Reply #79 on: December 12, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »

A few of the ones that I'd want for a Western division in a mega conference have football, so luring them would be tough.

St. Mary's and gonzaga for sure