Lavin Comment on Sanchez

• 13 replies
Lavin Comment on Sanchez
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »
Some friends of my son flew back with Lavin from the Kentucky Derby. (I guess he was a guest of Mike Repole). They said he was a super nice guy. Lavin told them that Sanchez has the footwork of Pele. Sounds like we may have a post-up player.

Re: Lavin Comment on Sanchez
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:22:39 PM »
Some friends of my son flew back with Lavin from the Kentucky Derby. (I guess he was a guest of Mike Repole). They said he was a super nice guy. Lavin told them that Sanchez has the footwork of Pele. Sounds like we may have a post-up player.

your guess is correct

Poison

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 04:13:36 PM »
Let the high expectations begin.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:23 PM »

Norvel Pelle? :)

bk8664

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:54:21 PM »

Norvel Pelle? :)

Haha.. funny comment there Marillac...

gabelmc,
A question for you - if Sanchez has great footwork, why does that mean he can/will play in the post?  Couldn't that just mean he nimble on his toes away from basket?   

Did Lavin give any indications that Sanchez can/will play chunky minutes in the post or hint that Sanchez would?    Thanks in advance.

MCNPA

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
Let the high expectations begin.

This kid has one season playing major college ball to make it happen.  I'm sure his expectations for himself are greater than anything we can heap upon him.  I'm hoping for a good PF and hope we get more.  Kid is tall, athletic and experienced.  I think we will be happy with his addition to the team. 

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 07:17:50 PM »
Defensively, we have a nice center in Obekpa. What's better than a last line of defense that lead the nation in blocks? And, he improved his rebounding as the season went on. Gift will be a nice back up.

Offensively, hopefully we have Jordan and Branch penetrating through zone defenses and dishing to JaKarr, Sanchez, Dom or 3'Angelo. We have guys who can get to the hole. And, we have guys who can hit a mid range jumper. We can get away with sub-10ppg at the center position with this offensive lineup and the defense that Obekpa brings.

MCNPA

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
I'm also hoping Obekpa works on his offense enough to become a threat when left alone in there.  His rebounding improved a ton over course of the season.  Having Sanchez and Gift added should help us tremendously on the glass this season. 

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:04:29 PM »
So does this mean he will play soccer instead of basketball? And after all we went through with his eligibility last season!  :(

Marillac

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 10:45:35 PM »
Brownlee + 2-3 inches is what I'm expecting.  I'd be thrilled with that. 

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 11:34:44 PM »
Brownlee + 2-3 inches is what I'm expecting.  I'd be thrilled with that. 

That's the comparison I've been giving. Great to have the Marillac seal of approval ;)
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 09:41:27 AM »
Hopefully more consistent motor then Brownlee ??

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 10:15:42 AM »
wasn't it sampson he kicked the ball to for a spectacular dunk during midnight madness??  too bad he's not allowed to kick the ball into the basket.

crgreen

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 10:41:42 AM »
wasn't it sampson he kicked the ball to for a spectacular dunk during midnight madness??  too bad he's not allowed to kick the ball into the basket.

That kick-move showed up in a high school slam dunk contest over the weekend - the BallisLife All American Dunk contest.  Some incredible dunks from Derrick Griffen (recipient of the kick-pass) Deonte Burton, Tim Myles, Jordan Bell, and by winner Zach Lavine (UCLA's incoming PG/SG)... INSANE High School Dunk Contest! Zach LaVine NASTY Behind The Back & Reverse Eastbay To Win It!