Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY

• 749 replies

Marillac

Re: Sid Wilson, SF, St. Raymond's HS Bronx, NY
« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2017, 08:20:14 PM »
FWIW I am confident we get him. I just don't know what he can contribute next year at 183 lbs.

goredmen

« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2017, 09:28:29 PM »
did he announce or hint at any sort of timeline for when he plans to announce?

« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2017, 09:44:48 PM »
FWIW I am confident we get him. I just don't know what he can contribute next year at 183 lbs.
well there goes any shot we had of getting him.  ;)  At 183 lbs. he is one of our heaviest players.  :D

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2017, 10:34:42 PM »
The one team that concerns me is UCONN.

« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2017, 07:42:11 AM »

At 6'6ish and not a twig he has got to weigh more than that, no?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2017, 09:06:57 AM »
Kid is really good.  If we can get a top 50-60 player from 18' to reclassify, it would be a big victory for us.  We have Bashir graduating, and the rest will be upperclassmen.  He doesn't have to have the physical size just yet next season.  He can come along at his pace, and get decent enough minutes to progress.  Hope we get this done.  We are due for some good luck. 

derk

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »

BTW, when was the last time we won one of these.

Wods317

« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2017, 09:52:00 AM »

This one is a little different because we have been recruiting Sid for a while and then it seemed like we cooled off but apparently staff was still keeping an eye on him. All the transfers and guys we recruited for a week suck to lose but when its a NY kid who we have seemingly been recruiting since the staff got the job this one would hurt a little more.

Tha Kid

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2017, 10:03:30 AM »
Kid is really good.  If we can get a top 50-60 player from 18' to reclassify, it would be a big victory for us.  We have Bashir graduating, and the rest will be upperclassmen.  He doesn't have to have the physical size just yet next season.  He can come along at his pace, and get decent enough minutes to progress.  Hope we get this done.  We are due for some good luck. 

Agreed.  Would a PF/C have been ideal? SUre, but I'll take a talented kid at any position any day.  In this game 3s are constantly lining up as 4s when needed too, so he will help the front court even if he is the opposite of a wide body.  Plus it gives us a much needed win to bridge the recruiting wins from last year to hopefully next year.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2017, 11:44:56 AM »
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
2017 forward Sidney Wilson will visit UConn on Thursday, per a source. Visits St. John's next week. Syracuse and Texas also in mix. #SJUBB

Wods317

« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2017, 12:00:06 PM »
Jon Rothstein‏Verified account
@JonRothstein
2017 forward Sidney Wilson will visit UConn on Thursday, per a source. Visits St. John's next week. Syracuse and Texas also in mix. #SJUBB

Seems like a lot of people think these are his top 2. Hopefully we are his last visit but UConn just scares me because of all the immediate playing time they can offer.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 12:00:38 PM by Wods317 »

MCNPA

« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »
I honestly think we have plenty of other here too.  We are going to play a lot of forwards next year and play " small" overall.  Simon gonna get minutes at 3 positions.  Wilson could easily share time with Ahmed at the 3.  Clark and Yakwe gonna be PF's.  We aren't logjammed by any means.

Wods317

« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2017, 01:02:44 PM »
I honestly think we have plenty of other here too.  We are going to play a lot of forwards next year and play " small" overall.  Simon gonna get minutes at 3 positions.  Wilson could easily share time with Ahmed at the 3.  Clark and Yakwe gonna be PF's.  We aren't logjammed by any means.

Agreed but as compared to UConn if he is looking to play 30 minutes a game next year UConn will be more attractive. He will not be benched all game here, not saying that at all. He will definitely get burn and injuries happen so he might play even more then expected. We need more depth and he will get minutes here year 1 no doubt.

derk

« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2017, 01:12:09 PM »

This one is a little different because we have been recruiting Sid for a while and then it seemed like we cooled off but apparently staff was still keeping an eye on him. All the transfers and guys we recruited for a week suck to lose but when its a NY kid who we have seemingly been recruiting since the staff got the job this one would hurt a little more.

Same with Briscoe, Whitehead, Heron, and ( brain lapse - the kid from CTK at Arizona ). As I said it's time to win one of these especially against Pukon and the rest.

derk

« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »

I like this scenario. Versatility will be a strong  suit that we need to maximize to create favorable matchups.

« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2017, 01:25:18 PM »
UConn has limited exposure due to conference affiliation.   Sell the Big East !

Wods317

« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2017, 01:29:17 PM »

Same with Briscoe, Whitehead, Heron, and ( brain lapse - the kid from CTK at Arizona ). As I said it's time to win one of these especially against Pukon and the rest.

I thought you were referring to one of these as in the offseason, misunderstood.

Marillac

« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2017, 01:44:48 PM »

He's not on that level. Ponds and Lovett were both more highly regarded.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »

He's not on that level. Ponds and Lovett were both more highly regarded.

Ponds was more highly regarded, but I think Lovett was ranked a bit lower than Sidney. Sidney is ranked in the 50s on scout and rivals, and I'm pretty sure Lovett was in the 60s or 70s in his class.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 01:50:58 PM by thetruth8734 »

ras

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2017, 02:35:36 PM »
Why are you confident?