Dwight Hardy - G - Indian Hills CC - Ottumwa, IA - ST. JOHN'S(Signed LOI)

• 177 replies

mkras99

and mkrass i was saying he better get the ball because he will be our best scorer. just get him open thats all. set a few stagger screens work inside out and we wont be scoring no damn 40 points a game.
whose minutes is he going to take?  mase? paris? dj? doesn't seem like there are enough minutes to go around, but hopefully hardy is as good as you say he is.  has he been lighting it up in the street ball leagues lately?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
and mkrass i was saying he better get the ball because he will be our best scorer. just get him open thats all. set a few stagger screens work inside out and we wont be scoring no damn 40 points a game.
whose minutes is he going to take?  mase? paris? dj? doesn't seem like there are enough minutes to go around, but hopefully hardy is as good as you say he is.  has he been lighting it up in the street ball leagues lately?
Paris'.  And DJ's, thought DJ's minutes might be cut into by Mase.  It's great that they can play 40 minutes, but they shouldn't have to... Paris and Mase should get 25-30 and DJ should get about 25 - depending on the matchup and who's doing well.  Not doing the calculations or anything, but Hardy should get 15 minutes where the team tries to get him a look on nearly every halfcourt possession. 

Poison

Kennedy should bring it up more.
Team played better without Boothe.

Why not sit him? He's the weakest link.

And although I think Horne and Kennedy are very good players I wouldn't be shocked to see Hardy, Mason or Brownlee start. This program is trying to win now.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 12:42:29 PM by Poison »

mkras99

Paris'.  And DJ's, thought DJ's minutes might be cut into by Mase.  It's great that they can play 40 minutes, but they shouldn't have to... Paris and Mase should get 25-30 and DJ should get about 25 - depending on the matchup and who's doing well.  Not doing the calculations or anything, but Hardy should get 15 minutes where the team tries to get him a look on nearly every halfcourt possession.
You won't get any disagreement from me on that.  There should be enough minutes to go around for all of our perimeter guys if Norm plays a Villanova type of offense (i.e., four perimeter players at a time).  My only quibble, and maybe it's one of semantics, is that even 15 minutes is not a "lot of minutes".  25-30 is a lot of minutes and I just don't see Dwight getting that many, but wtf knows at this point.

Well its going to be interesting to see how Norm uses Dwight. There were times Larry Wrigt would come off the bench hit two 3 pointers and then after the media timeout he'd be back on the bench. Then you'd see Larry back in the game with 3 min left in the game when we were down by 14 and he'd hit another two 3's to keep things respectable.

Will Norm adapt and learn to go with the hot hand?

Certainly as a competitor guys will always be unhappy with their minutes and will always want more however winning heals all wounds. As a coach Norm must also act as a motivator so that guys fall into and appreciate their roles on the team.

I think if Dwight averages 15mpg thats great. Certainly there will be times where he will receive more and less than that but I'm comfortable with that.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

I think kids come here and think it will be east to be a starter because they are so poor offensively.

pmg911

I think if Dwight averages 15mpg thats great. Certainly there will be times where he will receive more and less than that but I'm comfortable with that.

If I were a JUCO All American and signed with a cellar dwelling team in the Big East and that team;s biggest weakness was something I do well, outside shooting, I would certainly exepct to be playing more then 15 minutes per game.

This kid is coming into the program as an upperclassman. If he were a Freshman, I would agree with the 15 mpg assessment but asa Junior I would have to think he is expecting 20+ mpg.

Poison

We desperately need Hardy to be a go to scorer.
This team lacked a guy to keep us in games.

When we fell behind, it was for good.

I hope he's good enough to start.

Personally, I think we'll learn all we need to learn in game 1 when Norm tells us who's starting.

I remember gulping when I heard Willie Shaw's name and not Alpha Bangura's against Kentucky.

If I were a JUCO All American and signed with a cellar dwelling team in the Big East and that team;s biggest weakness was something I do well, outside shooting, I would certainly exepct to be playing more then 15 minutes per game.

This kid is coming into the program as an upperclassman. If he were a Freshman, I would agree with the 15 mpg assessment but asa Junior I would have to think he is expecting 20+ mpg.

He's also entering a program with players who are already established into the program Paris, DJ, Mason, and also freshman Omari Lawrence.

I wasn't speaking of what he is expecting but rather what I think is realistically going to happen. I think Dwight plays 15-18mpg tops.

http://www.hoopsinthesun.net/forum3.htm

Queensbridge had a comfortable lead going into the fourth quarter Saturday vs R2K. Up by as many as fifteen points, the W for them looked inevitable. But when the opposition has Dwight Hardy, the game is never really over - and it wasn't. Hardy exploded for 12 points in the fourth - outscoring Queensbridge 32-19 in the fourth quarter to send the game into overtime. Not even a minute had gone by in the overtime session, Hardy converted on three consecutive three-point shots, bringing R2K to a nine point lead, 89-80. Queensbridge never fully recovered as the Hardy storm hit them so hard that they were outscored in the overtime session 27-3, losing in overtime 107-83. Hardy scored 17 points in the overtime session, giving him 50 for the afternoon.

The fourth quarter became very interesting because R2K climbed back to being down by 3 points late in the game. There wasn't an answer for Hardy the entire second half. Another 16 points by him in the fourth brought R2K back to within one 99-98. MVP Glover scored a huge basket as the shot clock expired with one second remaining, giving his team a 101-98 lead. Hardy attempted a three-point shot at the end to tie the game but missed. Bingo's All-Stars would go on to defeat R2K 101-98, led by Momo Jones' 30 points and Glover's 23 points. R2K were led by Hardy's 48 points and Stokes' 22 points.

In the second game, which has been already considered a classic, saw R2K take on Pops 5- The Legacy. A brilliant performance was displayed by many great players in this game, especially R2K's standout Dwight Hardy who scored 51 points - breaking the HITS record for most 3's made in a game in the process with 11. Hardy was absolutely magnificent - displaying an array of talent from the three-point shot to getting to the basket uncontested.

ummm...i think that's him
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 08:57:50 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Poison

this might be nitpicking but why couldn't he have scored 50 points in all 3 games?

It's going to be fun seeing how this kid plays against BE defenses. We need numerous scoring options for the floor to open up.  I hope Mase comes back strong and Brownlee comes advertised. If we r hitting from the outside inside whould be open for JB, RT and SE.

kob24

Yeah jumpin that's him

boo3

Wow!   Sounds like Norm has gotten himself a real shooter and scorer.  Sounds to me like we could have another Marcus Hatten on our hands.  Lord knows we could use it.  Thanks for the updates guys!!   Good stuff.

Wow!   Sounds like Norm has gotten himself a real shooter and scorer.  Sounds to me like we could have another Marcus Hatten on our hands.  Lord knows we could use it.  Thanks for the updates guys!!   Good stuff.

Im liking Hardy more and more with every blurb and post about him,hopefully the trend continues for a couple of years. This recruiting class is looking pretty good thus far

Marillac

These scoring totals are extremely encouraging.  But isn't it puzzling that this same kid only averaged 15 PPG at a JUCO?  The competition he is facing this summer is very strong. 

It's really looking like Norm is going to have to find him 25 mins a game.  I think Paris will be directly affected, but guys like DJ and Mase might have to play out of position at the four or the one (DJ) to get the best five on the court.

I would think a lineup of DJ-Hardy-Mase-Brownlee  1-4 would have enough ball-handlers to get by without a pure point.  It would also have enough size with JB or Evans to not get killed on the boards.  Of course, if Hardy can handle the point, we are f*cking set. 

Poison

These scoring totals are extremely encouraging.  But isn't it puzzling that this same kid only averaged 15 PPG at a JUCO?  The competition he is facing this summer is very strong. 

It's really looking like Norm is going to have to find him 25 mins a game.  I think Paris will be directly affected, but guys like DJ and Mase might have to play out of position at the four or the one (DJ) to get the best five on the court.

I would think a lineup of DJ-Hardy-Mase-Brownlee  1-4 would have enough ball-handlers to get by without a pure point.  It would also have enough size with JB or Evans to not get killed on the boards.  Of course, if Hardy can handle the point, we are f*cking set.

Keep in mind the one X-factor that Norm has never kept in mind: injuries.
Someone(s) will get hurt at some point.

Does anyone rerally think that Mase will play the whole season? Mr.Glass. I think not.
At least we have some nice depth at the guard and wing positions.

Let finding enough playing time for our quality guards be our biggest issue.

Summer league totals are going to be inflated. Defense isn't exactly a priority however what is encouraging is that he isn't getting cheap fast break points but he is sinking the deep ball with efficiency.

As for his JUCO numbers...everyone on his team got a lot of minutes and there were games where they just blew everyone out. At this point he was already committed to St. John's and him getting minutes wasn't pressing. His numbers year 1 in JUCO were more impressive. In closer games down the stretch Hardy lit it up.