Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 458 replies

MCNPA

Re: Bashir Ahmed - SF - JFK - Bronx, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #340 on: February 23, 2016, 06:11:57 PM »
I didn't call him a second coming nor an NBA talent btw.  Just saying he's going to be very hard to defend, even by Big East defenders.  Kid is smooth and savvy player.  Lots of tools.  Love his handle and passing for his size.  Not trying to overhype him.  Was just impressed with the way he handled himself on the court.  He will be a handful to guard and I stand by that.   

paultzman

« Reply #341 on: February 23, 2016, 06:41:27 PM »
Last Juco guard we got from the Bronx did very well & suspect this Kennedy HS product will do quite well here. :)

« Reply #342 on: February 23, 2016, 08:06:01 PM »
I think he is better than Durand now. I don't think he is going to be averaging 20 a game but I could see 14t o 16 a game with 6 rebounds next yr

paultzman

« Reply #343 on: March 04, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »

@bluedragonsport

Congrats to Bashir Ahmed, Jayhawk Conference 1st-team selection and 2016 KJCC Men's Basketball Most Valuable Player,

Marillac

« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2016, 12:26:55 PM »

@bluedragonsport

Congrats to Bashir Ahmed, Jayhawk Conference 1st-team selection and 2016 KJCC Men's Basketball Most Valuable Player,

More to come :)

To MCNPA above, there is nothing wrong with calling him an NBA prospect.  He clearly has NBA physical talent and size.  It will be some of the other stuff that dictates if that is his path or not. 

« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »

@bluedragonsport

To MCNPA above, there is nothing wrong with calling him an NBA prospect.  He clearly has NBA physical talent and size.  It will be some of the other stuff that dictates if that is his path or not. 

In the FWIW category, a local assistant told me last fall that Bashir is a "pro" and that if SJU got him, he'd start day 1.

Poison

« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2016, 03:18:51 PM »

@bluedragonsport

In the FWIW category, a local assistant told me last fall that Bashir is a "pro" and that if SJU got him, he'd start day 1.

We should temper these expectations. People just like this local assistant also said that Mussini, Johnson, Sima and Williams were pros, too.
Let's let him come in with the expectations that should exist from a player who's community college does a tremendous job of hiding his abilities, and their games in general. Let's honor the secret that they've kept, and be pleasantly surprised when he shows up, and he can play.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 03:19:23 PM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2016, 03:31:53 PM »

@bluedragonsport

We should temper these expectations. People just like this local assistant also said that Mussini, Johnson, Sima and Williams were pros, too.
Let's let him come in with the expectations that should exist from a player who's community college does a tremendous job of hiding his abilities, and their games in general. Let's honor the secret that they've kept, and be pleasantly surprised when he shows up, and he can play.

What secret have they kept? We're talking about a 1st team JUCO All-American, conference player of the year, and possibly the national player of the year.  The irony of you trying to temper optimism, when you let your negativity run rampant for a years at a time, is crazy. You are a first ballot troll. MCN could run around throwing glitter and giving compliments at every game and not touch the level of untempered emotion you show on a daily basis. 

« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2016, 03:49:30 PM »

@bluedragonsport

Literally no one said those guys were pros, let alone a coach who personally scouted Bashir.  I think everyone gets your position on the current roster, but the hyperbole is exhausting.

« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2016, 04:16:23 PM »
FWIW
Top 7 JUCO players from last year:
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Montero-Portland TrailBlazers
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:22:15 PM by we are sju »

Marillac

« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2016, 05:04:15 PM »
FWIW
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8

Well, the best comp is Kadeem Allen, also from Hutchinson and played the same position.  He is averaging 8 points 3.6 assists and 3 boards in 25 minutes per game with Arizona in his first year.  Both guys were player of the year for their conference.

I think we'd all take that.

« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »
FWIW
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8

Well, the best comp is Kadeem Allen, also from Hutchinson and played the same position.  He is averaging 8 points 3.6 assists and 3 boards in 25 minutes per game with Arizona in his first year.  Both guys were player of the year for their conference.

I think a lot of people are expecting more than 8 ppg including myself. Maybe we should all tempter our expectations a little for him

« Reply #352 on: March 10, 2016, 05:12:48 PM »
FWIW
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8

Those are stats on a far more talented team, Bashir may be and I emphasize may be (as none of us knows right now) our best player.

Marillac

« Reply #353 on: March 10, 2016, 05:27:15 PM »
FWIW
Artis-UTEP 11.8
Dunans-Auburn 11.6
Manyang-Oak 2.7
Ibaka-OSU 0.9
Myers-Wake Forrest 2.4
Dima- WA 6.8

I think a lot of people are expecting more than 8 ppg including myself. Maybe we should all tempter our expectations a little for him

That is on a 24-win team with Gabe York, Alonzo Trier, and Parker Jackson-Cartwright in the back court and 5th-year senior BC transfer leading the team in scoring at PF.

I think he'd probably would have scored 20 for this team.  I don't think Ahmed has to be a savior or force anything.  Lovett and Ponds will be able to carry  the load with him.

Pete88

« Reply #354 on: March 10, 2016, 06:30:40 PM »

@bluedragonsport

There is not one person in this

@bluedragonsport

Literally no one said those guys were pros, let alone a coach who personally scouted Bashir.  I think everyone gets your position on the current roster, but the hyperbole is exhausting.

Its not only exhausting...more like bad diarrhea that just keeps coming.

Marillac

« Reply #355 on: March 10, 2016, 06:59:00 PM »
How does Poison not get banned ever?  I got banned twice already from Redmen.com alone.

« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:42 PM »
Who said Mussini, Johnson and Williams were pros?!?!

Poison

« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »

@bluedragonsport

What secret have they kept? We're talking about a 1st team JUCO All-American, conference player of the year, and possibly the national player of the year.  The irony of you trying to temper optimism, when you let your negativity run rampant for a years at a time, is crazy. You are a first ballot troll. MCN could run around throwing glitter and giving compliments at every game and not touch the level of untempered emotion you show on a daily basis. 

I'm sorry if you misunderstood my post. You did.

I suggest reading it again, only slower so your small brain can comprehend all of it. I was mainly calling attention to the horrendous job that shitbox Hurchinson Community College does of promoting their players because their All American has been kept a secret not just from us, but from everyone, and I place all of that blame on them.

And yes, I did attempt to temper expectations, because we are so often disappointed when delusional fans like yourself build up players like they're the next Dwayne Wade and then upon arrival we see that they can't handle a D3 man to man defense. But please, by all means keep calling people trolls when they call you out for your ridiculous predictions of players that you've never seen before in your life.

« Reply #358 on: March 10, 2016, 09:42:30 PM »

@bluedragonsport

I suggest reading it again, only slower so your small brain can comprehend all of it. I was mainly calling attention to the horrendous job that shitbox Hurchinson Community College does of promoting their players because their All American has been kept a secret not just from us, but from everyone, and I place all of that blame on them.

And yes, I did attempt to temper expectations, because we are so often disappointed when delusional fans like yourself build up players like they're the next Dwayne Wade and then upon arrival we see that they can't handle a D3 man to man defense. But please, by all means keep calling people trolls when they call you out for your ridiculous predictions of players that you've never seen before in your life.

What are your expectations for Bashir's SJU career?

Poison

« Reply #359 on: March 10, 2016, 10:31:48 PM »

@bluedragonsport

What are your expectations for Bashir's SJU career?

My expectations for Bashir's career are that fans and media will build him up to be the next Walter Berry before ever actually seeing him play. And I think that because the team is in such dire need of a go to player, that all signs based on his likely meaningless juco awards will point to him carrying that unfair responsibility.

While it would be great if he was up to that task, I would rather give him the time he probably needs to adjust to D1 basketball without the pressure of having to bring St.John's back from the 25 year shit storm that defines them.