« Reply #660 on: December 24, 2015, 10:57:01 AM »
Our "Nick Van Exel" playing in City of Palms Classic this week;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YYsKCYgiXV0

Wods317

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #661 on: December 24, 2015, 11:29:29 AM »
Our "Nick Van Exel" playing in City of Palms Classic this week;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=YYsKCYgiXV0

Really glad we have this kid aboard. He has a great shooting stroke and can finish with contact. Looking forward to watch him next year

« Reply #662 on: December 24, 2015, 12:10:35 PM »
From that clip def looks like he can finish with both hands at the rim which is nice and can shoot it. Only think not shown in the clip is him passing the ball. What are his assist numbers like? or is that not really part of his game?

paultzman

« Reply #663 on: December 24, 2015, 12:17:32 PM »
From that clip def looks like he can finish with both hands at the rim which is nice and can shoot it. Only think not shown in the clip is him passing the ball. What are his assist numbers like? or is that not really part of his game?
In one game there he had 7assists & seems good in that regard, but foremost this kid is a scorer. Btw, it appears like he will be an effective defender, generating deflections & steals.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 12:19:34 PM by paultzman »

MCNPA

« Reply #664 on: December 24, 2015, 01:05:45 PM »
Ponds is gonna be excellent for us.  A 3 headed monster in the backcourt with Lovett, Ponds and Mussini, I can definitely see us playing 3 guards at times.  All can really score and are dynamic players.  Ponds will immediately sure up the backcourt a bit as well as Lovett.  We will be in a lot better shape than this season where Mussini is out there alone and out of position as a freshman.  I think Ellison will be a good 4 year player too,  and significant contributor, but he's got a lot of work to do and is behind these guys in his development right now. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 01:07:10 PM by MCNPA »

Johnny23

« Reply #665 on: December 24, 2015, 01:16:15 PM »
We need a Qb who can break down defenses and either score or dish. Ponds and Lovett seem to fit that mold to a T with Ponds being a lethal scorer as well. 'Nova's built a perennial top 15 program off these type of guards.

MCNPA

« Reply #666 on: December 24, 2015, 02:49:11 PM »
We need a Qb who can break down defenses and either score or dish. Ponds and Lovett seem to fit that mold to a T with Ponds being a lethal scorer as well. 'Nova's built a perennial top 15 program off these type of guards.

That's why people meant every week when we have struggles need to look at the big picture.  It's not a harbinger for SJU's future.  It's quite the opposite.  Mussini will be twice as good next year due to his gauntlet this season.  Next season he can step in next to Lovett and we can bring Ponds in off the bench or play 3 guards and we will be an entirely different team in the backcourt than this season.  I do think that Ponds will be the guy off the bench because he will be just a freshman and also because Mussini has been a heck of a scorer as a freshman guard.  He will be unstoppable when he isn't the primary ball handler and can concentrate at what he does best which is shooting and scoring.  Eventually though, Ponds might be able to supplant him.

Johnny23

« Reply #667 on: December 24, 2015, 03:29:39 PM »

That's why people meant every week when we have struggles need to look at the big picture.  It's not a harbinger for SJU's future.  It's quite the opposite.  Mussini will be twice as good next year due to his gauntlet this season.  Next season he can step in next to Lovett and we can bring Ponds in off the bench or play 3 guards and we will be an entirely different team in the backcourt than this season.  I do think that Ponds will be the guy off the bench because he will be just a freshman and also because Mussini has been a heck of a scorer as a freshman guard.  He will be unstoppable when he isn't the primary ball handler and can concentrate at what he does best which is shooting and scoring.  Eventually though, Ponds might be able to supplant him.

Agreed.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #668 on: January 08, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
St. John's BBall ‏@StJohnsBBall  3m3 minutes ago
#SJUBB 2016 commit & Brooklyn native Shamorie Ponds nominee for McDonald's All America Game

Nice!

paultzman

« Reply #670 on: January 10, 2016, 08:06:52 AM »
31 points for Ponds last night in win over Lincoln;

https://nychoops.n.rivals.com/news/thomas-jefferson-cracks-lincoln

paultzman

« Reply #672 on: January 12, 2016, 10:45:10 PM »
Zach B tweeted

St John's signee Shamorie Ponds had 51 tonight in a win. Having a tremendous senior year. #sjubb

Marillac

« Reply #673 on: January 12, 2016, 11:20:18 PM »
This kid is so good it is ridiculous. People thought I was crazy for suggesting Heron didn't want to go up against him for minutes. He's going to be a McDonald's All-American.  Filthy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:20:58 PM by Marillac »

Wods317

« Reply #674 on: January 12, 2016, 11:55:01 PM »
This kid is so good it is ridiculous. People thought I was crazy for suggesting Heron didn't want to go up against him for minutes. He's going to be a McDonald's All-American.  Filthy.

Could end up being a McDonald's all American and top 20 recruit when all is said and done. Thrilled he decided to take a chance on Mullin and co.

paultzman

« Reply #675 on: January 13, 2016, 08:40:25 AM »

Heron going to Auburn had zero to do with Ponds. Take that one to the $bank$.

Looking at Heron's year, I don't think much concerns him & he is probably in better shape with McD selection this Saturday than Ponds.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/can-mustapha-be-a-mcdonalds-all-american?platform=hootsuite

Secondly, I agree with you on Ponds' ability, but getting on McD team is very political & not a lock for him in my opinion.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 08:52:55 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #676 on: January 13, 2016, 02:30:25 PM »

Looking at Heron's year, I don't think much concerns him & he is probably in better shape with McD selection this Saturday than Ponds.

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/can-mustapha-be-a-mcdonalds-all-american?platform=hootsuite

Secondly, I agree with you on Ponds' ability, but getting on McD team is very political & not a lock for him in my opinion.
+1, in regards to Heron being "scared off" by Ponds and his overall recruitment.

+1 to the McDonald's team.  It'll be a feather in Ponds' cap to get selected to the game, but frankly I don't care if he's selected or not.  I think most savvy folks and recruiting guru's know we've gotten us a balla.

paultzman

« Reply #677 on: January 13, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »

+1, in regards to Heron being "scared off" by Ponds and his overall recruitment.

+1 to the McDonald's team.  It'll be a feather in Ponds' cap to get selected to the game, but frankly I don't care if he's selected or not.  I think most savvy folks and recruiting guru's know we've gotten us a balla.

+1

ras

« Reply #678 on: January 13, 2016, 02:51:29 PM »
Id rather have him be BE ROY next year.

« Reply #679 on: January 13, 2016, 02:55:46 PM »
Mickey D's game will be tough. Malik Monk, De'Aaron Fox, Terrance Ferguson, Markell Fultz, Frank Jackson, Kobi Simmons, Lonzo Ball are probably the locks.

In the convo... Josh Langford, Kyle Guy, Tyus Battle, Peyton Pritchard, Seventh Woods, Cassius Winston, Alterique Gilbert

Better hope they consider Alkins a SF too. Ponds having great performances at City of Palms and Torrey Pines helps his cause.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle