Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S

• 835 replies

paultzman

Re: Shamorie Ponds, G, Jefferson HS, NYC - ST JOHN'S
« Reply #700 on: February 06, 2016, 07:31:40 PM »
Been thinking about a comparison type player for Shamori, because he's really a combo-type but with excellent shooting and scoring ability.   Probably the best that came to mind was Troy Bell of BC.  True combo with shooting and scoring ability. Both very similar skill sets. We can all wish for him to be close to as good as Bell by they're similar type players imo.

Nick Van Exel

« Reply #701 on: February 06, 2016, 09:47:06 PM »
Jefferson beats CtK by a point.  Wild finish.

« Reply #702 on: February 06, 2016, 09:53:32 PM »
Jefferson beats CtK by a point.  Wild finish.
29 for Mr. Ponds

« Reply #703 on: February 07, 2016, 12:58:29 PM »
I was able to go last night and glad I did, it was a great game nip and tuck the whole way and the gym was jam-packed. Jefferson beat CTK by 3 (68-65 I think) and I had Shamorie with 31 points, 3 rebounds, 1 assist and 2 steals.

Jefferson was up 1 with 3 seconds to go with CTK inbounding at midcourt, Shamorie was guarding the inbounds (I think it was Alvarado) and made the play of the game when he tipped it to himself and stole it. Got fouled and sank both free throws with a second left to basically seal it.

I thought he looked very good, it didn't feel like an explosive 31 points, spread out and all basically within the flow of the game. He's a crafty scorer, his outside shot wasn't falling and he missed his first 3 free throws (but made his last 6 all clutch ones in the 4th quarter) so he did most of his damage on floaters and inside. He seems to have a good feel for the game too, sees the floor well and a good handle. He only had 1 assist but that easily could have been 5 or 6 if his teammates converted easy layups/dunks (sound familiar?).

He is probably around 6'2" and VERY skinny. Mussini might beat him in an arm wrestling match. I know people are trying to make comparisons here and last night I was thinking to myself I saw a little Jamal Crawford in him. I think we'll be very pleased with him for the next few years.

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #705 on: March 02, 2016, 04:51:58 PM »
Per Zach B
St John's signee Shamorie Ponds @ShamorieP has been invited to play in Jordan Brand All-American game, per his coach. #sjubb

National game

Wods317

« Reply #706 on: March 02, 2016, 04:55:16 PM »
Per Zach B
St John's signee Shamorie Ponds @ShamorieP has been invited to play in Jordan Brand All-American game, per his coach. #sjubb

National game

Very impressive, congrats to Shamorie.

Johnny23

« Reply #707 on: March 02, 2016, 06:12:13 PM »
Nice honor for Shamorie.

« Reply #708 on: March 03, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »
He never seems to finish in traffic the same way twice.  That's a sign of real talent.  And he finishes with both hands.  He also has great ups.  He's only 6'0 and he dunks with both hands in traffic.  That's really hard to do.  He'll have an adjustment period, but he's gonna be really good by Sophomore year.

« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2016, 03:43:56 PM »
Shamorie is playing in the PSAL semis tomorrow night (Saturday) at Carnesecca at 7:30pm.  I'm gonna head over after our game at MSG.  Anyone else planning to attend?
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

paultzman

« Reply #711 on: March 09, 2016, 04:07:17 PM »
Per Braziller;

St. John's signee Shamorie Ponds loses out on Mr. Basketball to upstate kid Kevin Huerter, a Maryland commit. #sjubb

No conspiracy theories please. :)

« Reply #712 on: March 09, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
Per Braziller;

St. John's signee Shamorie Ponds loses out on Mr. Basketball to upstate kid Kevin Huerter, a Maryland commit. #sjubb

You think he starts from get go?

paultzman

« Reply #713 on: March 09, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
Per Braziller;

You think he starts from get go?

He'll get ample minutes, but who knows what transpires between now & then.

« Reply #714 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:49 PM »
Per Braziller;

I've seen Heurter up close 5 or so times. Very, very good. 6'5 and a true pass first point guard. Don't think he's better than Ponds.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #715 on: March 09, 2016, 09:58:32 PM »
Per Braziller;

I've seen Heurter up close 5 or so times. Very, very good. 6'5 and a true pass first point guard. Don't think he's better than Ponds.

Was asked to evaluate his teammate, Hicks, recently. 
I'll take Ponds over Heurter. FWIW, I really like the kid on Jefferson with Ponds....I think he's committed to St. Francis.  They are getting a helluva player.

« Reply #716 on: March 09, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
Per Braziller;

Was asked to evaluate his teammate, Hicks, recently. 
I'll take Ponds over Heurter. FWIW, I really like the kid on Jefferson with Ponds....I think he's committed to St. Francis.  They are getting a helluva player.

Could not agree more. He is a whirlwind out there, great size handle and passer and fast and athletic as hell. Can't shoot a lick but that's correctable, I think he's much better than St. Francis but great get for them.

« Reply #717 on: March 12, 2016, 07:48:24 AM »
Any television or streaming of todays PSAL championship? Thanks!

paultzman

« Reply #718 on: March 12, 2016, 10:14:17 AM »
Matt A will be at Jefferson game today.

« Reply #719 on: March 12, 2016, 11:11:16 AM »
Where's Slice ?

: )