Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

paultzman

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #520 on: April 06, 2014, 01:56:24 PM »
I'm not seeing the bright side of anything right now because our talent level has taken a big hit.  I would be happy about Adonis committing though.  I like his potential.  I think with some physical transformation he can be a mismatch inside.   I'd also be happy to have two 7-footers on the team with the Delsrosa brothers.  Don't know what his brother Joey Delsrosa can contribute yet with those numbers of his,  but he has size and these guys will be manning the center spot for us.

If Joey D can clog up the middle and rebound a little for 10 minutes  he will be a big help.  As long as he is not stupid offensively he will be fine.  Could not be much worse than Obekpa offensively.

It's not about Obekpa who can be replaced.  It's about Samson and Sanchez, two 6'9" athletic college forwards who can't and haven't been replaced.  Anybody who mentions Christian Jones will be choked out by me...

Sanchez and Sampson can be replaced by two guys that rebound and defend even if they never cross half court to the offensive side.  Those two in the game at the same time was an awful thing to watch.  They both thought they were guards and never defended or boxed out.  They also never screened.  Who cares if the were athletic? 

If I was on Titanic while it was going down Marillac you would be the guy I want next to me. Admire your eternal optimism, but as a savvy basketball fan, wouldn't you admit we have systemic problems right now?  Rather than dwell on who replaces who, shouldn't we all be concerned about the stability of the program. Lot of tea leaves here man!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 01:57:30 PM by paultzman »

Marillac

« Reply #521 on: April 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
I'm not seeing the bright side of anything right now because our talent level has taken a big hit.  I would be happy about Adonis committing though.  I like his potential.  I think with some physical transformation he can be a mismatch inside.   I'd also be happy to have two 7-footers on the team with the Delsrosa brothers.  Don't know what his brother Joey Delsrosa can contribute yet with those numbers of his,  but he has size and these guys will be manning the center spot for us.

If Joey D can clog up the middle and rebound a little for 10 minutes  he will be a big help.  As long as he is not stupid offensively he will be fine.  Could not be much worse than Obekpa offensively.

It's not about Obekpa who can be replaced.  It's about Samson and Sanchez, two 6'9" athletic college forwards who can't and haven't been replaced.  Anybody who mentions Christian Jones will be choked out by me...

Sanchez and Sampson can be replaced by two guys that rebound and defend even if they never cross half court to the offensive side.  Those two in the game at the same time was an awful thing to watch.  They both thought they were guards and never defended or boxed out.  They also never screened.  Who cares if the were athletic? 

If I was on Titanic while it was going down Marillac you would be the guy I want next to me. Admire your eternal optimism, but as a savvy basketball fan, wouldn't you admit we have systemic problems right now?  Rather than dwell on who replaces who, shouldn't we all be concerned about the stability of the program. Lot of tea leaves here man!

I am not happy right now.  I think Lavin is a sissy and his teams are not tough.  That is why his teams never play up to their potential or with any consistency.  Shots land some days and not on others, but effort and toughness is always there.  Tough teams don't go through ten minute stretches without a FG, because they get the second and third chances to score.  That makes me very angry.  However, I have no trust that the school would make the right hire at this point.

I also feel that our back court is potentially ridiculous.  A few additions could put this team in on the next level. 
I think Felix is going to EXPLODE if given the opportunity.  I think ADR is better than just about anyone is giving him credit for--although I hate to rely on freshman for anything.  I see no reason why he can't be like Lamont Hamilton if he is committed.

I also love the idea of this JUCO from WCC.  A lesser talent that accepts his role...tells the world "I will outwork you"...and, best of all, hasn't been coached by Lavin yet?  Sign him up.  As a matter of fact,  go get 2-3 other guys that haven't be sissified by Lavin and sign them up too.

paultzman

« Reply #522 on: April 06, 2014, 04:03:34 PM »

I am not happy right now.  I think Lavin is a sissy and his teams are not tough.  That is why his teams never play up to their potential or with any consistency.  Shots land some days and not on others, but effort and toughness is always there.  Tough teams don't go through ten minute stretches without a FG, because they get the second and third chances to score.  That makes me very angry.  However, I have no trust that the school would make the right hire at this point.

I also feel that our back court is potentially ridiculous.  A few additions could put this team in on the next level. 
I think Felix is going to EXPLODE if given the opportunity.  I think ADR is better than just about anyone is giving him credit for--although I hate to rely on freshman for anything.  I see no reason why he can't be like Lamont Hamilton if he is committed.

I also love the idea of this JUCO from WCC.  A lesser talent that accepts his role...tells the world "I will outwork you"...and, best of all, hasn't been coached by Lavin yet?  Sign him up.  As a matter of fact,  go get 2-3 other guys that haven't be sissified by Lavin and sign them up too.

OK

Marillac

« Reply #523 on: April 06, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

OK

But I love the avatar!

bk8664

« Reply #524 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:21 PM »

What do see in Felix that you think he has so much upside?  I'm not a hater - I just didn't see it in his limited action.  What am I missing?  It's an honest question; I'm not dissing him.     To me, he's just a springy 6'2'' to 6'3'' guy.  His jump shot wasn't all that accurate.  Though I will certainly conceded, he did have pretty good form on his shot.

The reason I'm not counting on him too much as a net positive over whoever he is replacing, is that he is already too similar to our existing back court.    To me, he would be too similar to what we already put out on the court.

I actually think Jones can have a bigger potential impact next year - if he toughens up - as you so rightly point out.   If, and that's a big if - he decides he's throw his weight around.  He has to learn to be a bully.

And back to Felix - what am I missing? 

Thanks in advance.

RedVet

« Reply #525 on: April 06, 2014, 06:04:04 PM »

And if I was on the Titantic while it was going down, Marillac's the last guy I'd want to be with. He'd be telling me to forget about the lifesavers or the lifeboats, reassuring me that it's a minor leak and things will fine in the morning.

« Reply #526 on: April 07, 2014, 12:04:55 AM »

And if I was on the Titantic while it was going down, Marillac's the last guy I'd want to be with. He'd be telling me to forget about the lifesavers or the lifeboats, reassuring me that it's a minor leak and things will fine in the morning.
Marillac would say there is nothing to worry about I just asked for more ice!

paultzman

« Reply #528 on: April 08, 2014, 11:45:13 AM »
When he commits to SJU, stand by for Dan Gadzuric comparison/hyperbole from  Lav.

gman

« Reply #529 on: April 08, 2014, 11:51:54 AM »
When he commits to SJU, stand by for Dan Gadzuric comparison/hyperbole from  Lav.

Most skilled freshmen big man I have ever coached

« Reply #530 on: April 08, 2014, 06:44:04 PM »
I want the oxygen concession by our bench nest year.

Tiznow

« Reply #531 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

Do you think he should say he's a project with a 25% chance to reach any level of success under my coaching staff?  Forget about Lavin.  He's hardly the only coach who praises his players in public.

Does every development need to be panned on this board?  I'm hoping the kid comes onboard and gives us something to feel good about for a change.

paultzman

« Reply #532 on: April 08, 2014, 08:21:06 PM »

Do you think he should say he's a project with a 25% chance to reach any level of success under my coaching staff?  Forget about Lavin.  He's hardly the only coach who praises his players in public.

Does every development need to be panned on this board?  I'm hoping the kid comes onboard and gives us something to feel good about for a change.

Quite the contrary. I think kids and Lavin would be better served if he lowered hyperbole a notch. Just welcome the kid in a low key way. No need to anoint him as best big he has ever coached, etc. which he does too often. I just don't find Lav very credible. I have historically supported Adonis coming, noting if he works hard & gets in shape, he could be a good player in time. My comment was made in humor. Must have riled you. Perhaps you are smarting from falling short of that NIT championship you told me would propel us to NCAA success next season.

Poison

« Reply #533 on: April 08, 2014, 08:41:30 PM »

You know what would be a refreshing change? If Lavin didn't say a damn thing about a recruit.

« Reply #534 on: April 08, 2014, 08:49:48 PM »

You know what would be a refreshing change? If Lavin didn't say a damn thing about a recruit.

Who the hell cares?  Some of you are allowing your frustration over how the season ended (which is fair it was a lousy way to end a season that seemed to be heading in the right direction) into criticizing stuff that means nothing either way.

There are no games.  I mean he also said Jordan is one of the best guards he has ever recruited.  Guess what, he is probably right.  So what?

He knows the bottom line is he needs to build a consistent winner here.  To be a consistent NCAA team, which he has said MANY times.  Do you have a problem with that?

Let's say Lavin says Delarosa is  the next "Lew Alcindor."  Next year progresses the team does really well but Delarosa does not do well, struggles a little.    Is anyone on the board going to remember or care what Lavin says about Delarosa?  In other words are there going to be people on this board who say, "I can't enjoy this good season because I can't stand how Lavin tried to sell Delarosa to us last year."  Really?

Poison

« Reply #535 on: April 08, 2014, 09:07:09 PM »

Who the hell cares?  Some of you are allowing your frustration over how the season ended (which is fair it was a lousy way to end a season that seemed to be heading in the right direction) into criticizing stuff that means nothing either way.

There are no games.  I mean he also said Jordan is one of the best guards he has ever recruited.  Guess what, he is probably right.  So what?

He knows the bottom line is he needs to build a consistent winner here.  To be a consistent NCAA team, which he has said MANY times.  Do you have a problem with that?

Let's say Lavin says Delarosa is  the next "Lew Alcindor."  Next year progresses the team does really well but Delarosa does not do well, struggles a little.    Is anyone on the board going to remember or care what Lavin says about Delarosa?  In other words are there going to be people on this board who say, "I can't enjoy this good season because I can't stand how Lavin tried to sell Delarosa to us last year."  Really?

Allow me to paraphrase, I don't give a f what he says, he better f'n win. End of story.

« Reply #536 on: April 08, 2014, 09:37:13 PM »

Allow me to paraphrase, I don't give a f what he says, he better f'n win. End of story.

amen.

Tiznow

« Reply #537 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:01 PM »

Quite the contrary. I think kids and Lavin would be better served if he lowered hyperbole a notch. Just welcome the kid in a low key way. No need to anoint him as best big he has ever coached, etc. which he does too often. I just don't find Lav very credible. I have historically supported Adonis coming, noting if he works hard & gets in shape, he could be a good player in time. My comment was made in humor. Must have riled you. Perhaps you are smarting from falling short of that NIT championship you told me would propel us to NCAA success next season.

Smarting?? Who was not pissed with that disaster?
Just like you I want to see this program do well.  I appreciate the many updates you provide.  I'm just not in the camp that thinks Lavin is a fraud with a lousy staff.  He certainly has a lot of work to make up for the disappointing finish.  I'm pulling for him.  We'll see what he can do over upcoming weeks to restock the front court.  If he fails he's out in a year or two and the next guy will try to break the curse.

I really feel for you with what transpired these past two nights.  It can't be easy being a johnny fan in the Yukon state.

paultzman

« Reply #538 on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:23 AM »

Smarting?? Who was not pissed with that disaster?
Just like you I want to see this program do well.  I appreciate the many updates you provide.  I'm just not in the camp that thinks Lavin is a fraud with a lousy staff.  He certainly has a lot of work to make up for the disappointing finish.  I'm pulling for him.  We'll see what he can do over upcoming weeks to restock the front court.  If he fails he's out in a year or two and the next guy will try to break the curse.

I really feel for you with what transpired these past two nights.  It can't be easy being a johnny fan in the Yukon state.

Actually I pulled for UConn, since I think Ollie has done a nice job taking over for Calhoun.

Foad

« Reply #539 on: April 09, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »
Forget about Lavin. 

Love to but for the time being that's impossible. Hopefully at some point in the future he'll be reduced to a vague unpleasant memory, like food poisoning or chlamydia. But for the time being the vapid narcissist and unctuous personality and half-assed coaching and preposterous pronouncements are what's fodder for discussion.