Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

paultzman

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #560 on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:30 AM »
Many criticize Lavin for pumping up his players and spinning disappointments. How about viewing it through the prism of the real world. Ever hear a CEO explain a bad quarter by saying our sales team took three months off and our product is inferior to competition? Ever hear Obama say sorry folks, Obamacare may not have been a good idea? Ever hear our military say from the front, sorry Commander, we are getting our butts kicked. Leaders do what they can to pump up their team's confidence. Leaders spin what has happened while trying to make the result better. Leaders inspire optimism, not breed despair. The criticism of Lavin on this issue is sophomoric. Do you expect him to say --we have a new recruit with some gaps in his game and it is uncertain he will be able to improve? Or should he say, I see little hope for this team improving? Or, we keep going over this with players a and b in practice but can't seem to overcome their ego, or their lack of basketball iq? These criticisms of Lavin are just silly, and reflect a lack of experience in the real world. A press conference is not a Confessional. It's purpose is not to commit hari kari, but to put the best front on what is occurring for many good reasons--morale, public perception, confidence boosting, optimism, recruiting, etc etc. The first coach to stand up and say "This program is in hopeless shape " will also be a former coach. It is terrible leadership. All here say Roberts was a man of integrity. Anyone remember him saying, sorry guys, I am in over my head, or try as I might, I can't attract top recruits? Get real, guys.

Where is the beer you owe us?  ;)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 11:45:14 AM by paultzman »

Foad

« Reply #561 on: April 09, 2014, 11:44:58 AM »
Fun backed Roberts until the end, mostly becuase he hated Jarvis I think

I don't know that backed is the right word. I recognized Norm's citizenship and integrity despite his atrocious results, protested attacks on his character, and delighted in the ineffectual whining of his detractors, because schadenfreude. I was mostly relieved when he got canned, as I will be whenever Bozo goes back to California.

You turned on Big Head much quicker anyway. As for me they could hire Charles Manson or Calipari and I wouldn't care as long as we win. Lavin's act has gotten annoying becuase we stink. Same as the nice guy Norm thing. Just my opinion anyway. Don't need athletes, coaches, actors etc to be good guys, I can seperate.

Lavin's a fraud, Norm was just incompetent. Even Calamari's not a fraud, he's an outlaw, like Tarkanian. I don't see how you can shrug your shoulders at Ben Rapistberger or Aaron Hernandez, oh well, as long as we win.

Foad

« Reply #562 on: April 09, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
Many criticize Lavin for pumping up his players and spinning disappointments. How about viewing it through the prism of the real world. Ever hear a CEO explain a bad quarter by saying our sales team took three months off and our product is inferior to competition? Ever hear Obama say sorry folks, Obamacare may not have been a good idea? Ever hear our military say from the front, sorry Commander, we are getting our butts kicked. Leaders do what they can to pump up their team's confidence. Leaders spin what has happened while trying to make the result better. Leaders inspire optimism, not breed despair. The criticism of Lavin on this issue is sophomoric.

Ever hear a CEO blame bad quarterly profits on one  of his employee's aunt's open casket funeral? Did Obama blame his website failure on Kathleen Sebelius's tonsils? How often does Warren Buffet reference his prostate? Tell me more about the real world, I'm rapt.

« Reply #563 on: April 09, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
Fun backed Roberts until the end, mostly becuase he hated Jarvis I think

I don't know that backed is the right word. I recognized Norm's citizenship and integrity despite his atrocious results, protested attacks on his character, and delighted in the ineffectual whining of his detractors, because schadenfreude. I was mostly relieved when he got canned, as I will be whenever Bozo goes back to California.

You turned on Big Head much quicker anyway. As for me they could hire Charles Manson or Calipari and I wouldn't care as long as we win. Lavin's act has gotten annoying becuase we stink. Same as the nice guy Norm thing. Just my opinion anyway. Don't need athletes, coaches, actors etc to be good guys, I can seperate.

Lavin's a fraud, Norm was just incompetent. Even Calamari's not a fraud, he's an outlaw, like Tarkanian. I don't see how you can shrug your shoulders at Ben Rapistberger or Aaron Hernandez, oh well, as long as we win.

I would prefer that the guys I root for are good guys and I would prefer the guys I root for aren't rapists or muderers. It is just not a deal breaker  :)

ras

« Reply #564 on: April 09, 2014, 12:05:29 PM »
Looks like Henderson and Adonis are in.  That is 2 down for to go.  Hopefully we add another 2 bigs and 2 guards for future depth

Henderson not in.  Most know Adonis is coming. I think you are confusing Thomas with Henderson.

Herderson not it? Or not in yet?

Has not visited yet & not sure he is prime on radar.
Under the best circumstances Branch, DLO,Greene, and proably Sheed are gone after next year. Even though our immediate needs are bigs. We have a lot of scholis to give. Staff better start grooming some guards for the future.

« Reply #565 on: April 09, 2014, 12:16:56 PM »
Looks like Henderson and Adonis are in.  That is 2 down for to go.  Hopefully we add another 2 bigs and 2 guards for future depth

Henderson not in.  Most know Adonis is coming. I think you are confusing Thomas with Henderson.

Herderson not it? Or not in yet?

Has not visited yet & not sure he is prime on radar.
Under the best circumstances Branch, DLO,Greene, and proably Sheed are gone after next year. Even though our immediate needs are bigs. We have a lot of scholis to give. Staff better start grooming some guards for the future.
This is why we need to be active in the transfer game.  Get a veteran guard and/or SF to help bridge the gap.  Are we looking at Ryan Anderson, Nick Faust, Roddy Peters, Watson, anybody???  They'd probably start in 2015

SJUFAN

« Reply #566 on: April 09, 2014, 01:15:31 PM »
Many criticize Lavin for pumping up his players and spinning disappointments. How about viewing it through the prism of the real world. Ever hear a CEO explain a bad quarter by saying our sales team took three months off and our product is inferior to competition? Ever hear Obama say sorry folks, Obamacare may not have been a good idea? Ever hear our military say from the front, sorry Commander, we are getting our butts kicked. Leaders do what they can to pump up their team's confidence. Leaders spin what has happened while trying to make the result better. Leaders inspire optimism, not breed despair. The criticism of Lavin on this issue is sophomoric. Do you expect him to say --we have a new recruit with some gaps in his game and it is uncertain he will be able to improve? Or should he say, I see little hope for this team improving? Or, we keep going over this with players a and b in practice but can't seem to overcome their ego, or their lack of basketball iq? These criticisms of Lavin are just silly, and reflect a lack of experience in the real world. A press conference is not a Confessional. It's purpose is not to commit hari kari, but to put the best front on what is occurring for many good reasons--morale, public perception, confidence boosting, optimism, recruiting, etc etc. The first coach to stand up and say "This program is in hopeless shape " will also be a former coach. It is terrible leadership. All here say Roberts was a man of integrity. Anyone remember him saying, sorry guys, I am in over my head, or try as I might, I can't attract top recruits? Get real, guys.

Point taken. However, he could and should hold himself accountable. There is nothing wrong with him making a statement that the team's and coaches performance this year is not acceptable. How about letting the fans in on your plan (if he has one) and what he intends to do to improve our situation. His statement that he likes the roster as is was ridiculous.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 01:17:41 PM by SJUFAN »

paultzman

« Reply #567 on: April 09, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »

Point taken. However, he could and should hold himself accountable. There is nothing wrong with him making a statement that the team's and coaches performance this year is not acceptable. How about letting the fans in on your plan (if he has one) and what he intends to do to improve our situation. His statement that he likes the roster as is was ridiculous.

Agree

paultzman

« Reply #568 on: April 09, 2014, 02:14:40 PM »
This opinion of Adonis keeps me somewhat optimistic. Tom K knows his "stuff".

“Conditioning is the key,” Konchalski said.  “As long as he gets in the best shape he can, he’s going to be a terrific college player.”

« Reply #569 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:11 PM »
I would be more excited about getting this kid if we had a coach who could actually develop players.

desco80

« Reply #570 on: April 09, 2014, 02:34:32 PM »

No one is asking him to do that, just be slightly more grounded in his comments.   Don't act like things are going exactly as planned, when clearly sh*t is hitting the fan.

I've pointed it out several times on here, but over the last two months Calipari has repeatedly said it was his fault the team wasn't playing up to their potential, that he didn't have them ready to go early in the season, and even that there were tactical mistakes made.
And I posted several comments from his players that said they really appreciated that he was man enough to do that.

If you want more proof, do yourself a favor and go google "coaches taking the blame".   Mike Woodson was honest after that fiasco with the clock at the end of the Wizards game in December.   Tortarella has said it's his fault the Cannucks are playing awful. 
Blazers coach Terry Scotts?    Nuggets coach Brian Shaw    Matt Painter at Purdue?   They are all doing the same thing. 

« Reply #571 on: April 09, 2014, 02:38:21 PM »
Is the stream not working for anybody else?

Also trippy to see inside CK for the first time since like 2008. So many great memories there.

« Reply #572 on: April 09, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
He's coming. Very cool to see.

« Reply #573 on: April 09, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
WELCOME ADONIS!

Excited to watch your development, thank you for showing your support for SJU.

goredmen

« Reply #574 on: April 09, 2014, 02:59:59 PM »
Time to get to work and get him in shape

DFF6

« Reply #575 on: April 09, 2014, 03:00:12 PM »
He's coming. Very cool to see.

Great!!  And the countdown to some who will say ADR is better than Sampson and Obekpa will begin in 5, 4, 3, ...

Tha Kid

« Reply #576 on: April 09, 2014, 03:03:39 PM »
Thrilled to have Adonis aboard!
"I drink and I know things"

hnk

« Reply #577 on: April 09, 2014, 03:11:07 PM »
Plyometrics!!!!!

« Reply #578 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:22 PM »
Adonis, welcome aboard!

I apologize in advance for the bashing you will take next year from this fan base.

« Reply #579 on: April 09, 2014, 03:15:55 PM »
if it's adonis in this picture: http://zagsblog.com/articles/adonis-delarosa-to-st-johns/ he doesn't look overweight to me (not that it would necessarily matter, manboobs on xavier had no trouble beating up on us)

either way, it's good to get a front court commit and hopefully he can help this team