• 730 replies
Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #680 on: June 27, 2014, 10:37:13 PM »
Fans we got it is players we need

QuanMan

« Reply #681 on: June 28, 2014, 12:18:12 AM »
Every last one of you haters can kiss.

Adonis is going to be a force in the paint, him and Joey are going to relieve Obekpa throughout the year. The 5-15 minutes of combined energy, toughness, and production will be very much appreciated by mid season.

All we need from the two of them combined is 10/6/2 and it will do wonders for the team.  So many people get on this teenager's weight and size, it's pathetic.

This kid is nimble, has tremendous vision for a big and has endless potential over 4 years. Squad has the potential to have a 20-25 win season next year and these two brothers grit and size will be a key component of it. They are quintessential BE intimidating bigs, something the program hasn't had since Burrell.

Idk what some of you don't see, but this team is the Big East favorite next year, we will be in the top 25 throughout the winter. These two will have roles in the mix.

KISSSS!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:34:59 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

LJSA

« Reply #682 on: June 28, 2014, 04:45:28 AM »

All we need from the two of them combined is 10/6/2 and it will do wonders for the team.  So many people get on this teenager's weight and size, it's pathetic.

If you mean Adonis and Joey, I'm not sure they can average that -- Joey didn't do much against lesser competition, so I think he pulls the numbers down. I think Adonis could go either way, but he does seem to have softer hands than the average freshman center. We just need him to be in good enough shape to be able to be in position to catch passes from Rysheed. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 6 ppg from Adonis, but unfortunately would not be surprised by 2 ppg either. Had Obekpa flown the coop I think we would have seen 6-7 ppg simply because Adonis would have been in there as much as his heart and legs could take.

goredmen

« Reply #683 on: June 28, 2014, 03:25:14 PM »

If you mean Adonis and Joey, I'm not sure they can average that -- Joey didn't do much against lesser competition, so I think he pulls the numbers down. I think Adonis could go either way, but he does seem to have softer hands than the average freshman center. We just need him to be in good enough shape to be able to be in position to catch passes from Rysheed. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 6 ppg from Adonis, but unfortunately would not be surprised by 2 ppg either. Had Obekpa flown the coop I think we would have seen 6-7 ppg simply because Adonis would have been in there as much as his heart and legs could take.

Those 2 combining to average 10 6 and 2 in year one will be nothing short of a miracle
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 03:25:36 PM by goredmen »

« Reply #684 on: June 28, 2014, 03:47:29 PM »
Every last one of you haters can kiss.

Adonis is going to be a force in the paint, him and Joey are going to relieve Obekpa throughout the year. The 5-15 minutes of combined energy, toughness, and production will be very much appreciated by mid season.

This kid is nimble, has tremendous vision for a big and has endless potential over 4 years. Squad has the potential to have a 20-25 win season next year and these two brothers grit and size will be a key component of it. They are quintessential BE intimidating bigs, something the program hasn't had since Burrell.

Idk what some of you don't see, but this team is the Big East favorite next year, we will be in the top 25 throughout the winter. These two will have roles in the mix.

KISSSS!!!!!!!
Unlike you I say this with all due respect and I do mean respect but as the last 2 posters said they doubt it too. You are talking about a transfer who in his junior year in a much lesser conference averaged 1 pt and 1 reb so in the BE those numbers would probably translate to negative numbers if that was even possible. The other as a senior in high school and by far the biggest kid in his conference averaged 12 pts but now as a freshman in the BE he is going to almost duplicate those numbers? so I think I will pass on your invitation to Kiss, thank-you very much.

QuanMan

« Reply #685 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:33 PM »
Adonis has been the best big in NY for over 2 years. No one in this state has been able to contain him in the paint, he's a brute force, who put CTK on his back en route to a state championship this past spring. He's now a Johnnie, kiss.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #686 on: June 28, 2014, 11:42:46 PM »
Adonis has been the best big in NY for over 2 years. No one in this state has been able to contain him in the paint, he's a brute force, who put CTK on his back en route to a state championship this past spring. He's now a Johnnie, kiss.

I hope you're right. His development is crucial for the future of the program. We're going to form a team built around him, Jones, Balamou and Thomas. Training wheels should come off pretty early next season with only one returning experienced big man.

« Reply #687 on: June 29, 2014, 08:59:36 AM »

Dominating 6'1 centers from St Francis Prep isn't easy

Foad

« Reply #688 on: June 29, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
We're going to form a team built around him, Jones, Balamou and Thomas.

That's a terrifying thought.

« Reply #689 on: June 29, 2014, 12:59:20 PM »
Joey will never play and Adonis will average less than what GG did last year.

Also Quan. It isn't unfair to be concerned about Adonis' physical conditioning. I think everyone recognized how good Josh Smith was but he couldn't stay on the floor because he wasn't in good enough shape. Adonis isn't even close to being on Smith's level right now and he isn't in as good of shape as him. He needs to dedicate himself if he wants to have a chance because he does have potential.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #690 on: June 29, 2014, 01:02:58 PM »
Well, the way last season ended and this off season went, Lavin and crew better get themselves an NCAA berth or it will be the end of the line... Everything else, the talk, hyperbole, etc....gets thrown out the window...

Like many of us have said all along- this is the make or break season.  The proof is in the results this year.. Go dancing with this group or go walking out the door.   Pretty simple

Ive been a Lavin supporter, but i'm so disappointed in the 14' recruiting efforts. This, IMO, was a more important year than 15' class. I expect to go dancing this year, but then we will lose so much. If we don't land our targets in 15' doubt we dance then. I don't want to be a program that dances once every 3-4 years. That is not what we brought in Lavin for, but that is what we will get by dropping the ball on the 14' class. You can't take a year off and let your hopes lye in landing the talent he's targeting for 15'. Better programs can come in and change a players' decision in a hurry. But if he brought in some talent this year, then some the next we are looking at sustained success. If he doesn't bring in these players' in 15' and we don't dance I'll be ready to move on.   

They swung and missed on top guys. The talent level dropped off quickly after that. While I understand the concern, it was good that they didn't offer a scholly to a kid they would just recruit over. They got some big bodies which will help right away (hopefully).
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #691 on: June 29, 2014, 03:12:53 PM »
Well, the way last season ended and this off season went, Lavin and crew better get themselves an NCAA berth or it will be the end of the line... Everything else, the talk, hyperbole, etc....gets thrown out the window...

Like many of us have said all along- this is the make or break season.  The proof is in the results this year.. Go dancing with this group or go walking out the door.   Pretty simple

Ive been a Lavin supporter, but i'm so disappointed in the 14' recruiting efforts. This, IMO, was a more important year than 15' class. I expect to go dancing this year, but then we will lose so much. If we don't land our targets in 15' doubt we dance then. I don't want to be a program that dances once every 3-4 years. That is not what we brought in Lavin for, but that is what we will get by dropping the ball on the 14' class. You can't take a year off and let your hopes lye in landing the talent he's targeting for 15'. Better programs can come in and change a players' decision in a hurry. But if he brought in some talent this year, then some the next we are looking at sustained success. If he doesn't bring in these players' in 15' and we don't dance I'll be ready to move on.   

They swung and missed on top guys. The talent level dropped off quickly after that. While I understand the concern, it was good that they didn't offer a scholly to a kid they would just recruit over. They got some big bodies which will help right away (hopefully).

They can swing and miss on their top guys in 15' as well, then what? They appear to be putting all their eggs in a couple of baskets. If they have 3-4 ships to fill they need to be recruiting 8-10 top players and sign whoever wants to come. They don't appear to be doing that and if their targets doesn't sign they don't have nothing to fall back on except the Adonis's of the world. 

« Reply #692 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »
Quote from: SJUFAN ldid =topic=7895.msg204037#msg204037 date=1403commitment a

They can swing and miss on their top guys in 15' as well, then what? They appear to be putting all their eggs in a couple of baskets. If they have 3-4 ships to fill they need to be recruiting 8-10 top players and sign whoever wants to come. They don't appear to be doing that and if their targets doesn't sign they don't have nothing to fall back on except the Adonis's of the world. 

Its almost as if some of you actually try to invent arguments.

You have no idea who they are targeting?  14 was always going to be different then 15 and 16 based on the scholarship numbers.  Lavin knew he had a good team for 14 he did not need the urgency.

I mean short of a commitment a day what do you want?

« Reply #693 on: June 29, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »

You have no idea who they are targeting?  14 was always going to be different then 15 and 16 based on the scholarship numbers.  Lavin knew he had a good team for 14 he did not need the urgency.

The answer is somewhere in the middle from my perspective. Diallo and Briscoe are the best of the best and are immediate difference makers. They have been the focus for a long time and rightfully so. But if we land only 1 or neither, how does the staff fill 8 ships while being competitive next year?  Can anyone even name 8 players being legitimately targeted for 15?

TONYD3

« Reply #694 on: June 29, 2014, 11:57:07 PM »
Why are we recruiting a guy who isn't in shape? How can u out of shape if you are only 18 years old?

LJSA

« Reply #695 on: June 30, 2014, 01:13:46 AM »
Why are we recruiting a guy who isn't in shape?

The potential to be effective if he gets in shape?

Non-flawed big men are tough to find even in the early signing period. It's probably easier to make an overweight kid less overweight than it is to take a skinny kid with hands of stone and turn him into a scorer.

But ADLR needs to show some commitment -- summer is here, so start exercising. I'd love either he or St. John's to be honest and tell us his real weight so we know just what we are dealing with.

paultzman

« Reply #696 on: June 30, 2014, 07:09:52 AM »
Conditioning has always been his issue. Does he have the desire to work extremely hard, lose some weight & , most importantly, get into solid shape? The answer historically has been no. Let's hope he seizes the opportunity now.  He does have some basic skills we need like passing, rebounding and providing interior physicality. However, in stepping up to a much tougher level of play, he won't contribute much if he can't get up and down the court. The issue is not providing big minutes, but quality time coming off the bench. Time to work hard Adonis!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 07:14:16 AM by paultzman »

« Reply #697 on: June 30, 2014, 08:13:57 AM »

The answer is somewhere in the middle from my perspective. Diallo and Briscoe are the best of the best and are immediate difference makers. They have been the focus for a long time and rightfully so. But if we land only 1 or neither, how does the staff fill 8 ships while being competitive next year?  Can anyone even name 8 players being legitimately targeted for 15?

Check out the '15 board.

« Reply #698 on: June 30, 2014, 08:28:29 AM »

Check out the '15 board.
As far as I can tell, we are only actively recruiting a small handful (3-4) '15 players aside from Diallo and Briscoe. Seems a little concentrated given how many key players will be gone next year.   4 graduating seniors and probably Obekpa and Rysheed will be gone.

paultzman

« Reply #699 on: June 30, 2014, 09:00:06 AM »

Check out the '15 board.
As far as I can tell, we are only actively recruiting a small handful (3-4) '15 players aside from Diallo and Briscoe. Seems a little concentrated given how many key players will be gone next year.   4 graduating seniors and probably Obekpa and Rysheed will be gone.

We are getting a visit from Sampson, a quality player, but Mitchell cancelled one earlier I believe. I am not optimistic about Mitchell based on fact that Providence and UConn have been much more involved than SJU. For Diallo, Briscoe & Sampson, you really need to land 2/3, considering  imminent roster voids. Do that & fill in with JUCOs, three star kids & transfers I guess. No doubt this is critical and challenging transition year. Sorry for straying off topic.