Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

paultzman

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2014, 07:47:49 AM »
@ctkcoachjarbs: CK 99 - Bklyn Law & Tech 82....Adonis DeLaRosa 30 pts 17 reb, Rawle Alkins 20 pts 6 reb, Andre Walker 10 pts 18 assists

DFF6

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2014, 08:46:39 AM »
@ctkcoachjarbs: CK 99 - Bklyn Law & Tech 82....Adonis DeLaRosa 30 pts 17 reb, Rawle Alkins 20 pts 6 reb, Andre Walker 10 pts 18 assists

Hey Paultzman, I recall you not being too high on DeLaRossa, despite his size.  Have you seen him play recently, and if so, has your initial view of his potential changed?  Seems to me his numbers have been steadily improving, but I haven't seen him play.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 08:47:21 AM by DFF6 »

hnk

« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2014, 08:51:02 AM »
I agree w you...and have seen him play recently......I think we would definitely want to take a shot with him.  And i'd like to know what Paultzman  thinks too.

paultzman

« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »

Hey Paultzman, I recall you not being too high on DeLaRossa, despite his size.  Have you seen him play recently, and if so, has your initial view of his potential changed?  Seems to me his numbers have been steadily improving, but I haven't seen him play.

I saw his last couple of games on MSG Varsity.  I have always acknowledged his passing, good hands and court sense. My reservations have more to do with his work ethic & need to shed pounds. Recently, I have become more optimistic about his development & would be fine with him joining SJU. It appears he certainly could take Gift's spot and perhaps staff could get help him develop into a functional big man. Both JPM14 & Tom Konchalski believe Adonis can be a very good BE big, provided he continues to work. God knows they know more than me, so I hope we get him.

MCNPA

« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2014, 10:03:47 AM »

I saw his last couple of games on MSG Varsity.  I have always acknowledged his passing, good hands and court sense. My reservations have more to do with his work ethic & need to shed pounds. Recently, I have become more optimistic about his development & would be fine with him joining SJU. It appears he certainly could take Gift's spot and perhaps staff could get help him develop into a functional big man. Both JPM14 & Tom Konchalski believe Adonis can be a very good BE big, provided he continues to work. God knows they know more than me, so I hope we get him.

He's got size and hands that Gift doesn't have.  He's a ton taller and a true center.  He'd be a problem right away for teams as he's a guy that you can dump the ball into and he's going to score.  He's tough physically to move.  Agree his conditioning is his biggest issue, but he's producing enough on the court thus far this season to give the impression that he is putting in some work.  They'll get him into shape at SJU. 

hnk

« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »
He is going to love 17's!

paultzman

« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2014, 10:20:22 AM »

He's got size and hands that Gift doesn't have.  He's a ton taller and a true center.  He'd be a problem right away for teams as he's a guy that you can dump the ball into and he's going to score.  He's tough physically to move.  Agree his conditioning is his biggest issue, but he's producing enough on the court thus far this season to give the impression that he is putting in some work.  They'll get him into shape at SJU. 

Obviously he is bigger and has better hands. My Gift reference has to do with anticipated minutes. They can give him modest minutes and develop him. I don't see him as an impact freshman and think SJU will have to bring in  a JUCO or fifth transfer with more seasoning to absorb some or all of Sanchez minutes.

« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2014, 10:38:05 AM »

Obviously he is bigger and has better hands. My Gift reference has to do with anticipated minutes. They can give him modest minutes and develop him. I don't see him as an impact freshman and think SJU will have to bring in  a JUCO or fifth transfer with more seasoning to absorb some or all of Sanchez minutes.

I'm not sure that I'd want both Delarosa and a JUCO big.  I'd rather Lavin have fewer options in the front court so the 4 guards (harrison greene branch jordan) dominate the minutes.  Delarosa averaging between 5-10 mpg is more than enough with Jakarr, CO, Jones and Dom all returning (assuming they do indeed return). 

« Reply #308 on: February 13, 2014, 11:27:56 AM »
If he does come here, let's hope he has or develops Gift's hustle, conditioning and work ethic.

Chilleb

« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2014, 03:18:09 PM »
Please don't get to excited , the tallest person on the opposing team is 6'3. This team isn't even a top tier class team they play in the mid division in they city "single class A" a side note though is that they have a kid named Matt Scott 6'3 combo who I believe is the most underrated kid in the city, gave Lincoln 30+ and Christ the King 30+ in back to back games. And has no div 1 offers. But Adonis was supposed to have 50 this game no one wishing 100 pounds of him on the other team and no one within 8 inches of him

Marillac

« Reply #310 on: February 14, 2014, 06:33:49 AM »

I'm not sure that I'd want both Delarosa and a JUCO big.  I'd rather Lavin have fewer options in the front court so the 4 guards (harrison greene branch jordan) dominate the minutes.  Delarosa averaging between 5-10 mpg is more than enough with Jakarr, CO, Jones and Dom all returning (assuming they do indeed return). 

I agree.  I'd rather pickup a JUCO or late bloomer/recently released HS wing.  There are a ton of guys that can hit threes, defend, and hit the glass but not much else. We don't need a ball handler or creator. 

« Reply #311 on: February 14, 2014, 06:50:39 PM »
If he does come here, let's hope he has or develops Gift's hustle, conditioning and work ethic.
Doesn't that kill you when you see a player that is so driven, but lacking in the physical "Gifts" category?  I hope DeLaRosa gets half of Gift's motivation and good attitude.

Marillac

« Reply #312 on: February 14, 2014, 07:20:45 PM »
Doesn't that kill you when you see a player that is so driven, but lacking in the physical "Gifts" category?  I hope DeLaRosa gets half of Gift's motivation and good attitude.

I'll gladly roll with GG over Sanchez and live and die by what he gives us.  His effort is undeniable and you can instantly  tell with just a peripheral glance who is in the game based on the activity after the shot goes up.  If he had better hands he'd average at least another board per game, but you at least know he's going after everything near him and that is so refreshing after watching two of our players not even try.

Moose

« Reply #313 on: February 14, 2014, 07:52:50 PM »

I'll gladly roll with GG over Sanchez and live and die by what he gives us.  His effort is undeniable and you can instantly  tell with just a peripheral glance who is in the game based on the activity after the shot goes up.  If he had better hands he'd average at least another board per game, but you at least know he's going after everything near him and that is so refreshing after watching two of our players not even try.

Uhhh no
Remember who broke the Slice news

paultzman

« Reply #314 on: February 14, 2014, 07:56:11 PM »

Way off on this one Marillac

« Reply #315 on: February 15, 2014, 01:19:51 AM »
I think Gift adds value when we need some energy off the bench, some activity on the glass or an interior guy to bang with another team's post player who is hurting us.  That said, Sanchez is way more skilled as an all around player.  So I'd much refer Orlando getting more minutes, as he has.

« Reply #316 on: February 16, 2014, 11:39:41 PM »
At the GTown game...he is a pretty imposing figure

« Reply #317 on: February 17, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »
Not as out of shape as I expected.

ras

« Reply #318 on: February 17, 2014, 11:55:07 AM »
My guess is its between us and Georgetown. Hopefully last night swayed him.

kob24

« Reply #319 on: February 17, 2014, 12:51:12 PM »
I'm still not convince he can play at this level