Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S

• 730 replies

paultzman

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY
« Reply #600 on: April 09, 2014, 06:47:14 PM »
Good news. Feels good to be wanted. Those that have seen him, who does he remind you of? How would you describe his skillset?

Good hands, decent footwork, soft shot. At this point still needs to get off floor higher & quicker and increase endurance. Getting in prime shape could yield real dividends. Can't think of a comparison.

mkras99

Re: Adonis DelaRosa - C - Christ The King - New York, NY - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #601 on: April 09, 2014, 06:52:34 PM »
Omar Samhan?

hnk

« Reply #602 on: April 09, 2014, 06:53:31 PM »
I think he can really help us.   A regular program of plyometrics could enhance that ability.

sju89tr

« Reply #603 on: April 09, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
I really don't have an issue with ADR IF we didn't need to use him next year. He would be best redshirting and getting into shape. The one thing the staff does well is conditioning. If he buys into it he may be a useful backup one day.

On the other hand JDR should not be anything more than a walkon and that probably won't happen.

Lets see if the staff can get two more big men (one of which who can score)

« Reply #604 on: April 09, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »
Can he protect the paint defensively?

MCNPA

« Reply #605 on: April 09, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
I think he can really help us.   A regular program of plyometrics could enhance that ability.

Forget plyometrics...  Show him the squat rack...   

lihoop

« Reply #606 on: April 09, 2014, 07:18:14 PM »
he can't protect the paint, has limited lateral quickness - I agree that he should be redshirted, but we don't have that option.

« Reply #607 on: April 09, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
I really don't have an issue with ADR IF we didn't need to use him next year. He would be best redshirting and getting into shape. The one thing the staff does well is conditioning. If he buys into it he may be a useful backup one day.

On the other hand JDR should not be anything more than a walkon and that probably won't happen.

Lets see if the staff can get two more big men (one of which who can score)

Don't get caught up on using all 13 schollies either.  Probably only need 11.  We found out having all 13 used is not all it is cracked up to be.  You simply don't have enough minutes to spread around and you don't need 13 rotation players.  8-9 at the most.

Got a core of 7-8 already in: Jordan, Harrison, Branch, Greene, Pointer, Jones,  Delarosa, Thomas? and perhaps Balamou or another recruit.

paultzman

« Reply #608 on: April 09, 2014, 07:38:23 PM »
he can't protect the paint, has limited lateral quickness - I agree that he should be redshirted, but we don't have that option.

Agree protecting paint is not a strong suit at this point.

« Reply #609 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:24 PM »
if it's adonis in this picture: http://zagsblog.com/articles/adonis-delarosa-to-st-johns/ he doesn't look overweight to me (not that it would necessarily matter, manboobs on xavier had no trouble beating up on us)

either way, it's good to get a front court commit and hopefully he can help this team
Yeah not overweight for a pie eating contestant but for a basketball player yes just a little bit.  :)   As for who he reminds one of I submit one Joey Delarosa.  ;)

Chilleb

« Reply #610 on: April 09, 2014, 11:12:32 PM »
stood next to him today hes not as overweight as he used to be to be honest, hes a chubby 6'11 kid. he could use more definition if anything. weight room would definately help more than a drastic weight loss program.

MCNPA

« Reply #611 on: April 09, 2014, 11:23:23 PM »
stood next to him today hes not as overweight as he used to be to be honest, hes a chubby 6'11 kid. he could use more definition if anything. weight room would definately help more than a drastic weight loss program.

His weight isn't the main issue.  It's his strength at that weight which is the problem.  Squat rack, bench press, diet and jump rope and he'll be an "Adonis" if he's committed to it.  My brother in law just lost 95 lbs in 110 days and made a massive transformation.  Just need hard work and focus.

goredmen

« Reply #612 on: April 10, 2014, 12:33:02 AM »

His weight isn't the main issue.  It's his strength at that weight which is the problem.  Squat rack, bench press, diet and jump rope and he'll be an "Adonis" if he's committed to it.  My brother in law just lost 95 lbs in 110 days and made a massive transformation.  Just need hard work and focus.

He also needs to work on his conditioning. He doesn't run the floor because he gets tired quick. That can't happen at the college level

Poison

« Reply #613 on: April 10, 2014, 12:41:52 AM »
Good news. Feels good to be wanted. Those that have seen him, who does he remind you of? How would you describe his skillset?

Good hands, decent footwork, soft shot. At this point still needs to get off floor higher & quicker and increase endurance. Getting in prime shape could yield real dividends. Can't think of a comparison.

Does he have an up and under?

People talk about Ty Grant here like he was the best rebounder we've ever had, and I liked him a lot, but as a freshman, he was clueless and out of shape. But he improved every year. I'm hoping that Delarosa isn't a sissy like Sampson, Obekpa and Sanchez, and that he welcomes contact.

You're not going to play in the league if you're afraid to get hit.

Poison

« Reply #614 on: April 10, 2014, 12:45:02 AM »

Why do you think that in his senior year, he first needs to be introduced to the weight room? Frankly, that tells me that he doesn't want to be in a weight room. We need kids who are hungry. Lavin excelled with hard working kids. The pussies have all but ruined him.

« Reply #615 on: April 10, 2014, 06:01:31 AM »
This guy needs Jeff Ruland

« Reply #616 on: April 10, 2014, 06:22:07 AM »
Welcome Adonis!!!

I have been very critical of the (lack of) interest of our staff about the recruiting of New York City players.
It is obvious that with this verbal I have to eat crow.

Good work by the coaches.

derk

« Reply #617 on: April 10, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »
Not too concerned about 250 - 260 as long as he's in decent shape. But for every 1/8 th of an inch he's below 6' 11' I'll be very pissed.

sju89tr

« Reply #618 on: April 10, 2014, 03:17:54 PM »
I just can't see him being productive at all next season, you need to recruit as if he isn't even on the team. It's going to take him a while in all areas to become a productive player 

« Reply #619 on: April 10, 2014, 03:27:19 PM »
Not too concerned about 250 - 260 as long as he's in decent shape. But for every 1/8 th of an inch he's below 6' 11' I'll be very pissed.

Wow, someone needs some perspective.  :idiot2: