Game 9: Cal St. Northridge

• 135 replies

MCNPA

Re: Game 9: Cal St. Northridge
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:24 AM »
Our deficiencies are definitely accentuated, but even without Lovett we won.  Good sign.  Mussini played great.  Ponds was amazing.  Our biggest weakness we can fix this season, that being our frontcourt.  Still think we are headed in right direction. 

Even without Lovett, our offense looked fine.  Our defense still looks like crap.  Not sure how we remedy that?  Is it coaching or just that we have poor defensive players?  Yakwe is lost and Sima has regressed.  Liked that we got some minutes for Freudenbeg, but he still has to be more aggressive.  He's got his man backed down.  He can't always pass it... Gotta use some savy and score from there.
If as you say players have regressed or look lost on defense that sounds like coaching.

Not necessarily..  Sir Dom didn't improve much if at all his first season or so.  Lots of other I could name.  I just think it's specify with this crew ie. Sima and Yakwe.  Yakwe is offensively challenged.  He's still a good shot blocker.  Sima just hadn't moved the needle much.   I'm not sure why people think it's all coaching though?  Chris Dudley practiced free throws and got plenty of coaching and always sucked.  Sometimes the talent isn't malleable.  We have guards that stepped in and are excellent..  Mussini improved quite a bit. Yakwe and Sima aren't.  I think it has more to do with Both of their sucky ball control though.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 12:37:18 AM by MCNPA »

« Reply #61 on: December 06, 2016, 07:32:42 AM »
“I enjoyed watching the way St. John’s played tonight. I’ve known Chris [Mullin] for a long time and Mitch [Richmond] for a long time. It’s kind of nice to see what those guys are doing. For a while, I was one of the only guys that was coaching in college that played that long in the NBA. I know the battle that they are going through right now, with a young team trying to figure things out. I think the future is really bright here. I know those two guys know basketball and they have really good people around them.”

Comments from Reggie Theus - per Adam

I respect people like this more than people that put Chris and Mitch down that never played in the NBA
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:38:55 AM by Scheppy »

Poison

« Reply #62 on: December 06, 2016, 09:33:07 AM »
“I enjoyed watching the way St. John’s played tonight. I’ve known Chris [Mullin] for a long time and Mitch [Richmond] for a long time. It’s kind of nice to see what those guys are doing. For a while, I was one of the only guys that was coaching in college that played that long in the NBA. I know the battle that they are going through right now, with a young team trying to figure things out. I think the future is really bright here. I know those two guys know basketball and they have really good people around them.”

I respect people like this more than people that put Chris and Mitch down that never played in the NBA

Reggie can really relate to them because as a former NBA star w no coaching experience, he's just as lost as they are. Great observation.

Wods317

« Reply #63 on: December 06, 2016, 09:48:49 AM »

Reggie can really relate to them because as a former NBA star w no coaching experience, he's just as lost as they are. Great observation.

They have a a few nice players and I think they should be pretty competitive in their conference. That big man from UCONN has some skill, if he plays more under control he could do some damage for them. It is interesting that their whole team is made up of almost all transfers from big programs.

QuanMan

« Reply #64 on: December 06, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »
-Ever since it was re-emphasized amidst the losing streak the ball movement has been tremendous. The roster likes eachother and is making eachother better. They are learning how to win together game by game.

-Malik with his most complete game in a Johnnie uniform.

-Shamorie with a masterful performance. Remarkable poise and vision, controls tempo, he's a true city general.

-Tariq's hustle is contagious, love his tenacity, brings it every night. A crowd favorite, his minutes are coming.

This winning streak can't end here. I'm trying to make the NIT at the very least. They need some notable OOC W's with their remaining schedule before the new year to improve their resume. The VCU loss still stings. I want to embarrass Fordham, take care of business w LIUBK and then get our first notable W against Penn St. next Sunday.

The Penn St. and @Cuse matchups are HUGE.
Section 3
Section 116

Foad

« Reply #65 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:56 AM »

« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2016, 10:23:54 AM »
CSUN reminded me of a bigger version of the typical Iona teams we have seen under Cluess.  A few high-major transfers who have some offensive skills and were recruited over at prior schools but will be very good at their level, some athletes, and minimal defense.

They have a a few nice players and I think they should be pretty competitive in their conference. That big man from UCONN has some skill, if he plays more under control he could do some damage for them. It is interesting that their whole team is made up of almost all transfers from big programs.

redslope

« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
Northridge showed again our lack of physicality underneath; why Amar got minutes is that he is probably the bulkiest guy we have.

Pre game write up said this was a good 3PT shooting team but they did not look it tonight.  I am not sure how much we had to do with it as they played Saturday night and had a cross country trip for a game played at 3"30PM their local time.

Poison

« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2016, 10:35:27 AM »
Northridge showed again our lack of physicality underneath; why Amar got minutes is that he is probably the bulkiest guy we have.

Pre game write up said this was a good 3PT shooting team but they did not look it tonight.  I am not sure how much we had to do with it as they played Saturday night and had a cross country trip for a game played at 3"30PM their local time.

We don't have one big man who knows what he's doing. Sima and Yakwe are often not even facing the direction of the play. What are they looking at? The staff needs to find another way to get through to them. Penn State and SU will kill us if we pull that shit against them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:48:13 AM by Poison »

Poison

« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
-Ever since it was re-emphasized amidst the losing streak the ball movement has been tremendous. The roster likes eachother and is making eachother better. They are learning how to win together game by game.

-Shamorie with a masterful performance. Remarkable poise and vision, controls tempo, he's a true city general.

-Tariq's hustle is contagious, love his tenacity, brings it every night. A crowd favorite, his minutes are coming.

This winning streak can't end here. I'm trying to make the NIT at the very least. They need some notable OOC W's with their remaining schedule before the new year to improve their resume. The VCU loss still stings. I want to embarrass Fordham, take care of business w LIUBK and then get our first notable W against Penn St. next Sunday.

Good stuff. Malik is starting to play better. He looked good passing the ball, and we really need him to be a guy that does it all. He has to fight for rebounds, make plays for other guys, like he did last night and he has to penetrate. He was getting into the lane last season. Last night, his dribble seemed to have no point. Like he was just showing off.

« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2016, 11:45:14 AM »

Reggie won a HS championship with a girl and Anthony Anderson when he was really fat. That Hang Time team could ball!

« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2016, 12:06:53 PM »
Try Lovett off the bench. Ponds looked great and in the flow

« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »
Uh, no.     PS. this should make Scheppy happy.

« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2016, 12:26:15 PM »

Good stuff. Malik is starting to play better. He looked good passing the ball, and we really need him to be a guy that does it all. He has to fight for rebounds, make plays for other guys, like he did last night and he has to penetrate. He was getting into the lane last season. Last night, his dribble seemed to have no point. Like he was just showing off.

i don't know what game you guys were watching but Ellison was once again horrible.  Threw a bunch of lazy passes. Forced shots.  And all I know is that Mullin was riding him hard all game.

« Reply #74 on: December 06, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »

i don't know what game you guys were watching but Ellison was once again horrible.  Threw a bunch of lazy passes. Forced shots.  And all I know is that Mullin was riding him hard all game.

First half, he was terrible.  Second half, I thought he did a better job.

Foad

« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

RT took NM State from 6 wins to the NCAA tournament in two years before coaching the Sacramento Kings.

« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2016, 12:35:53 PM »
Was at the game. Shocked at how much Amar played in crunch time. Otherwise hope Lovett is better soon, can't win against marginally better than CSUN teams without him.

Why? Sima hasn't exactly been lighting it up lately. Not even on the defensive end. Owens is okay but foul prone. Yakwe is a great blocker but can't play the 5.

Foad

« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2016, 12:36:58 PM »

Maybe bench both of them and let Mussini play the point and shooting guard.

« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2016, 12:37:20 PM »

There is something wrong with you!

« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2016, 12:39:02 PM »

Maybe bench both of them and let Mussini play the point and shooting guard.

Funny he was saying Mussini was better than Ponds early in season.
I will give it to him that Mussini is far and away our best white player. Of course Amar is our 2nd best so....you know