Game 9: Cal St. Northridge

• 135 replies

Johnny23

Re: Game 9: Cal St. Northridge
« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2016, 12:51:48 PM »
The guard domination continues for this team. Mullin is playing with lineups as much as he can to see if anyone (Owens, Freud, Amar) can provide frountcourt scoring. It's a work in progress but the W's are all that matter at this point.

Foad

« Reply #81 on: December 06, 2016, 01:04:46 PM »
Try Lovett off the bench. Ponds looked great and in the flow

Maybe bench both of them and let Mussini play the point and shooting guard.

Funny he was saying Mussini was better than Ponds early in season.
I will give it to him that Mussini is far and away our best white player. Of course Amar is our 2nd best so....you know

You forgot Herr Gazellemeisterfuhrer, the funf star recruit.

« Reply #82 on: December 06, 2016, 01:04:57 PM »

I will give it to him that Mussini is far and away our best white player. Of course Amar is our 2nd best so....you know

Never said that. I did say that maybe Ponds should maybe come off the bench so Mussini can get in the flow of the game.

Marillac

« Reply #83 on: December 06, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »

There is something wrong with you!

I still think that Lovett is the future, but I'm not convinced we would have won last
night if he was playing. He can do a lot more with less IMO. Last year we needed a Tasmanian devil at PG but this year Ponds and Mussini can both create....Ellison as well in spurts. It was probably a good thing longterm that the team played as well without him last night.

Barring an open look, the best option will probably always be Ponds creating off the bounce. His passes are just so much more accurate and manageable at this point.

« Reply #84 on: December 06, 2016, 01:19:12 PM »

I still think that Lovett is the future, but I'm not convinced we would have won last
night if he was playing. He can do a lot more with less IMO. Last year we needed a Tasmanian devil at PG but this year Ponds and Mussini can both create....Ellison as well in spurts. It was probably a good thing longterm that the team played as well without him last night.

Barring an open look, the best option will probably always be Ponds creating off the bounce. His passes are just so much more accurate and manageable at this point.

Yes Mussini looked very creative missing that open layup by 2 feet.
Mussini is fine if his feet are set and he is by himself. Two things that can only happen if Ponds and or Lovett are on the floor being paid attention to. That is Mussini's best / only role. ST Jean er Mullin knows this. In fact Mussini was benched last year for everyones favorite Ellison.
Mussini's role is what it is. People really need to understand that. No one better than him, e.g. Ponds, Lovett or Ahmed should play or do anything less for Mussini's sake!

Johnny23

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2016, 01:22:11 PM »
Let's not kid ourselves. Lovett adds a whole different dimension to this team, especially when under control, with his speed and ball handling ability. We need him on the court as much as possible to have any chance of beating the better teams.

« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
Now is the time to tinker with lineups. Not in big East play. See who works better together against these scrub teams

Ponds and Lovett are the top 2 players on the team. Noone is saying otherwise
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 01:27:29 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2016, 01:30:43 PM »
Now is the time to tinker with lineups. Not in big East play. See who works better together against these scrub teams

Agree with this.  I also think Mussini established himself as the third guard.  Really everything else warrants tinkering.

« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2016, 01:48:23 PM »

Best players play. Tinker with everyone else.
30 plus for Ponds and Lovett
Ahmed should play however many minutes he is not in foul trouble.
Mussini 15
Don't care about anyone else

« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2016, 01:53:01 PM »

Mussini 15

There's not much else to tinker with but our guards. We need 1 of these guys on the court at all times. They can both start down the road, but let's see who works better with Ellison and who works better with Mussini.

Johnny23

« Reply #90 on: December 06, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »
We already know what the guards give us and they are the clear strength of this team. I'm more interested in seeing what the frontcourt cast gives us and if there's any signs of life in these guys.

Sure you can also play around with Ellison and see how he does with the other guards in one lineup. He needs to work on a lot of things but I want to see how he plays off the ball and if he can score in that role versus just driving to the hoop.

« Reply #91 on: December 06, 2016, 01:57:51 PM »

Mussini 15

There's not much else to tinker with but our guards. We need 1 of these guys on the court at all times. They can both start down the road, but let's see who works better with Ellison and who works better with Mussini.

Who cares? Ellison probably won't be here next year and Mussini will have the same role, 15 minutes or so.

« Reply #92 on: December 06, 2016, 01:59:20 PM »
-Ever since it was re-emphasized amidst the losing streak the ball movement has been tremendous. The roster likes eachother and is making eachother better. They are learning how to win together game by game.

-Malik with his most complete game in a Johnnie uniform.

-Shamorie with a masterful performance. Remarkable poise and vision, controls tempo, he's a true city general.

-Tariq's hustle is contagious, love his tenacity, brings it every night. A crowd favorite, his minutes are coming.

This winning streak can't end here. I'm trying to make the NIT at the very least. They need some notable OOC W's with their remaining schedule before the new year to improve their resume. The VCU loss still stings. I want to embarrass Fordham, take care of business w LIUBK and then get our first notable W against Penn St. next Sunday.

The Penn St. and @Cuse matchups are HUGE.

Good stuff. Malik is starting to play better. He looked good passing the ball, and we really need him to be a guy that does it all. He has to fight for rebounds, make plays for other guys, like he did last night and he has to penetrate. He was getting into the lane last season. Last night, his dribble seemed to have no point. Like he was just showing off.

i don't know what game you guys were watching but Ellison was once again horrible.  Threw a bunch of lazy passes. Forced shots.  And all I know is that Mullin was riding him hard all game.

other than free throws I thought his shooting was good last night. Hit more than he missed

« Reply #93 on: December 06, 2016, 02:02:04 PM »

Mussini 15

I'd rather find out which front court combinations are best.  Ahmed + Sima?  Owens + Yakwe?  Let those guys develop chemistry in moving without the ball on offense and on the defensive glass.

« Reply #94 on: December 06, 2016, 02:04:11 PM »

Mussini 15

Who cares? Ellison probably won't be here next year and Mussini will have the same role, 15 minutes or so.

I'd rather be somewhat competitive in the Big East than beat Fordham  and LIU by 30. Work sht out out now.

cjfish

« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2016, 02:57:12 PM »

You forgot Herr Gazellemeisterfuhrer, the funf star recruit.

By Feb sehr  gut basketball spielen
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:59:17 PM by cjfish »

TONYD3

« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:09 PM »
Don't want this to be a lost season . Winter much better with a basketball season. have to fix the defense. They tried zone, but didn't stay with it long. I think Owens could be a great zone defender on the wing. The kid plays with plenty of energy. It will also keep him out of foul trouble.
Ahmed- I like that he attacks the basket. He needs to be reigned in. But he isn't the only one. Also think the zone would help him stay on court. I seem to like him more then most. The kid is physical and we will need that in the big east.

Amar- shoudnt ever play.

Yakwe and sima- are what they are. They offensive system doesn't do them any favors. All big east second team was crazy talk.

Happy we won. Certainly not better off without Lovett. Their is talent to have a season. It would be nice to penn state on a winning streak.

« Reply #97 on: December 06, 2016, 04:13:46 PM »
Doesn't Mussini have like 6 assists for the year?  I don't think he is a real "creator" of offense for anyone.  He has shot very well, provided some instant offense, played intelligently/within the offense and not turned it over.  All good things, and I see that as his role.  He doesn't create for anyone; in fact, he is seeing the benefit of having guys who can create for him.

« Reply #98 on: December 06, 2016, 04:19:30 PM »
You seem down on Lovett more than most, Baldi, even acknowledging he is a good player ("sprained elbow" comment etc).  Yes, he needs to work on being a floor general, getting others involved and defense, in addition to getting buckets.  But he is only a handful of games into his freshman year and, given that context, I am thrilled with his play thus far.  As a fellow Iona fan, you often posted glowing remarks about MoMo Jones, a shoot-first PG who averaged more turnovers than assists as a SENIOR and put up (estimating) probably 25 shots a game, playing no defense (and I'm a MoMo fan).  So I don't get the criticism of Lovett to date.

Mussini 15

I'd rather be somewhat competitive in the Big East than beat Fordham  and LIU by 30. Work sht out out now.

« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2016, 04:48:39 PM »
You seem down on Lovett more than most, Baldi, even acknowledging he is a good player ("sprained elbow" comment etc).  Yes, he needs to work on being a floor general, getting others involved and defense, in addition to getting buckets.  But he is only a handful of games into his freshman year and, given that context, I am thrilled with his play thus far.  As a fellow Iona fan, you often posted glowing remarks about MoMo Jones, a shoot-first PG who averaged more turnovers than assists as a SENIOR and put up (estimating) probably 25 shots a game, playing no defense (and I'm a MoMo fan).  So I don't get the criticism of Lovett to date.

Mussini 15

Momo was the Pg?

Was Lovett allowed to practice with the team last year?

Lovett can get all the buckets he wants, and I'm sure he will.  Fantastic. What place we finishing in in the Big East? The responsibility always falls on the PG. Win or lose