Aidan Igiehon, C, Lawrence Academy. LI, NY - LOUISVILLE

• 135 replies
Re: Aidan Igiehon, C, Lawrence Academy. LI, NY
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2018, 08:03:14 PM »
well rumors are that Mullin didn't set up the facetime.... it might have been Chris Mack at Louisville who was coaching at KD camp.

Foad

« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »
https://twitter.com/RedStormFanatic/status/1043597998150889472

Actually really cool and creative move by Mullin. Kevin Durant has now done more recruiting for St. John's than Mitch Richmond
Yeah really cool of Mullin to skip out on a cancer fundraiser promoted by the basketball teams on the university's service day to hang out on the west coast and have kd facetime a kid that everyone seems to be convinced isn't coming here anyway.

If only Chris Mullins cared as much as you you do about cancer and HS prospects, we'd have recruited several four or five star recruits, several of them in remission.

goredmen

« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2018, 09:00:55 PM »
well rumors are that Mullin didn't set up the facetime.... it might have been Chris Mack at Louisville who was coaching at KD camp.

Saw that. Can only laugh

« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2018, 07:26:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/RedStormFanatic/status/1043597998150889472

Actually really cool and creative move by Mullin. Kevin Durant has now done more recruiting for St. John's than Mitch Richmond
Yeah really cool of Mullin to skip out on a cancer fundraiser promoted by the basketball teams on the university's service day to hang out on the west coast and have kd facetime a kid that everyone seems to be convinced isn't coming here anyway.

If only Chris Mullins cared as much as you you do about cancer and HS prospects, we'd have recruited several four or five star recruits, several of them in remission.

My brothers a cancer survivor so yeah I do care about cancer and the dribble for a cure dick head.

Mullin better hope the new ad doesn't care as much about hs recruits as I do.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 07:28:33 AM by colelatshaw2010 »

QuanMan

« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2018, 10:21:52 AM »
Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
Following Following @NYPost_Brazille
More
St. John’s saw priority recruit Aidan Igiehon yesterday, as @jakeweingarten reported. Louisville in today. #sjubb

In addition, see Jake W's article w Aidan below where he applauds Mack, saying not a lot of HEAD coaches are willing to fly to Ireland to see his Mom, unreal:

http://louisvillesportslive.net/weingartens-recruiting-update-aidan-igiehon/
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 10:53:29 AM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116

SJUFAN

« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »
Zach Braziller

Verified account

@NYPost_Brazille
Following Following @NYPost_Brazille
More
St. John’s saw priority recruit Aidan Igiehon yesterday, as @jakeweingarten reported. Louisville in today. #sjubb

In addition, see Jake W's article w Aidan below where he applauds Mack, saying not a lot of HEAD coaches are willing to fly to Ireland to see his Mom, unreal:

http://louisvillesportslive.net/weingartens-recruiting-update-aidan-igiehon/

Like I said, the HC are the closers. If he goes to Louisville it's because Mullin lost him. This is a kid we could get. 

« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2018, 05:21:27 PM »
Per Zach -

Official visit for Aidan Igiehon to St Johns this weekend has been postponed. A new date for the visit is still being confirmed. #sjubb
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 05:22:39 PM by stjohnnie75 »

« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2018, 07:30:12 PM »
Not good

QuanMan

« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2018, 08:33:51 PM »
Presuming that this week's meeting was a respectful thank you but goodbye?

Let's nab Dawes and settle for 1/3 (Bishop, Gaffney) this Fall.

Aidan has been rumored to Louisville for months. Idk why we haven't been prioritizing Kofi full time but I respect the staff's resolve and belief with their supremely elite targets until the bitter end. All while having a horrendous 3 year resume.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2018, 05:31:46 AM »
As much as I am optimistic and excited for the upcoming season, This is getting embarrassing. They are striking out on basically every 2019 target they have had. Why on earth has another recruiter/coach been added to this staff? Matt can not do all the recruiting. Its obviously not working at all. It doesn't even have to be Mike Rice, but please get another recruiter in here. I understand winning will help but I still don't believe that to have a consistently successful program that you only have one true recruiter on your staff. In all honesty, I highly doubt precious or Kofi come here. Hope I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:32:33 AM by Aknel79 »

SJUFAN

« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2018, 10:54:50 AM »
As much as I am optimistic and excited for the upcoming season, This is getting embarrassing. They are striking out on basically every 2019 target they have had. Why on earth has another recruiter/coach been added to this staff? Matt can not do all the recruiting. Its obviously not working at all. It doesn't even have to be Mike Rice, but please get another recruiter in here. I understand winning will help but I still don't believe that to have a consistently successful program that you only have one true recruiter on your staff. In all honesty, I highly doubt precious or Kofi come here. Hope I'm wrong.

If anyone believes that winning will cure this mess they are fooling themselves. There are many programs that have a winning tradition. We are being out worked. Until that changes, we will always lose out on most of our top targets if their are better options. Outside of the perks that others may offer, its about building relationships. Mullin, Richmond, St. Jean operate to much like an NBA mentality. These are kids, play a damn game of Fornite with them for Christ sake and develop a relationship.

« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2018, 11:06:48 AM »

If anyone believes that winning will cure this mess they are fooling themselves. There are many programs that have a winning tradition. We are being out worked. Until that changes, we will always lose out on most of our top targets if their are better options. Outside of the perks that others may offer, its about building relationships. Mullin, Richmond, St. Jean operate to much like an NBA mentality. These are kids, play a damn game of Fornite with them for Christ sake and develop a relationship.

How many programs with a winning tradition don't recruit well?  Conversely, how many programs that have not had sustained success consistently recruit at a high level?

Nobody thinks the staff is optimally set up to recruit, and criticism of Mullin and Mitch is fair.  But there is no reason to suggest that winning and staying nationally relevant year in and year out are not positives for recruiting.

SJUFAN

« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2018, 03:15:04 PM »

How many programs with a winning tradition don't recruit well?  Conversely, how many programs that have not had sustained success consistently recruit at a high level?

Nobody thinks the staff is optimally set up to recruit, and criticism of Mullin and Mitch is fair.  But there is no reason to suggest that winning and staying nationally relevant year in and year out are not positives for recruiting.

I'm not suggesting winning isn't a positive for recruiting. Having two HOF players on the staff is also "positive" for recruiting. I believe its important to make the distinction between theory and practical application. Although Matt has done a tremendous job, mostly due to the transfer market, it's hard for me to see that he will be able to sustain it relying solely on the transfer market.

As you have stated, there are many programs that consistently recruit at a high level without having sustained success, which is the point I was trying to tell posters to be mindful of, it's not our win lose record alone that would cure our recruiting woes.   

Foad

« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2018, 05:06:36 PM »
Although Matt has done a tremendous job, mostly due to the transfer market, it's hard for me to see that he will be able to sustain it relying solely on the transfer market.

This is often said. Why? Many players transfer. Some of them are good. Free agency regularly effects major league rosters. Why is a similar philosophy a negative in college BB, where underclassmen - outside rarefied programs - are rarely program changers.

« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2018, 08:25:19 PM »
Although Matt has done a tremendous job, mostly due to the transfer market, it's hard for me to see that he will be able to sustain it relying solely on the transfer market.

This is often said. Why? Many players transfer. Some of them are good. Free agency regularly effects major league rosters. Why is a similar philosophy a negative in college BB, where underclassmen - outside rarefied programs - are rarely program changers.

I totally agree with you Foad, as this is becoming a big trend in college basketball. Transfers are huge and have greatly impacted many programs including ours. But don't you also think that they do have to win out on some of these incoming freshman that they have been in on? Its not alarming to you that they essentially have been in on a lot of these 2019 guys and in their final 4 or 5 teams, and essentially have not gotten anyone?

Foad

« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2018, 09:34:17 PM »
I totally agree with you Foad, as this is becoming a big trend in college basketball. Transfers are huge and have greatly impacted many programs including ours. But don't you also think that they do have to win out on some of these incoming freshman that they have been in on? Its not alarming to you that they essentially have been in on a lot of these 2019 guys and in their final 4 or 5 teams, and essentially have not gotten anyone?

Obviously it's disappointing that they've not been able to land a big fish HS player, other than Ponds - pun acknowledged but not intended - who's one of the better players SJU has had in my lifetime. Which, that is, one legacy player in three years. Obviously it would be marvelous if they landed another GOAT, although I couldn't name a HS player who has that potential to be GOAT, because IDGAF about recruiting. OTOH it's not surprising to me that prize recruits don't come to a program that's been vaguely relevant for 50 years - despite the presence of Mullin and Richmond - and has shit facilities an the worst fanbase in all of sports - because prize recruits have a lot of choices - and I'm always surprised when anyone does commit. But on the third hand the roster as it stands has three NBA players and is potentially as good (at least on paper) as any roster since the elite eight team. 

I'd be delighted if Mullin were able to buck the trend of prize NYC recruits going elsewhere, a trend that goes back to Frank Mcguire. I don'r see that happening, and by that I mean building a perennial national championship contender relying solely on NYC prospects who resist the idea of playing college BB in NYC. My question was: who cares how the roster was constructed if the roster as constructed is successful? And why is the way the roster is constructed unsustainable, considering the state of college BB today? It's disingenuous to complain about he mom and pop aspect of the program and then to complain that the current regime is transforming the paradigm that made the mom and pop administration successful. No?

« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2018, 05:54:16 AM »

Obviously it's disappointing that they've not been able to land a big fish HS player, other than Ponds - pun acknowledged but not intended - who's one of the better players SJU has had in my lifetime. Which, that is, one legacy player in three years. Obviously it would be marvelous if they landed another GOAT, although I couldn't name a HS player who has that potential to be GOAT, because IDGAF about recruiting. OTOH it's not surprising to me that prize recruits don't come to a program that's been vaguely relevant for 50 years - despite the presence of Mullin and Richmond - and has shit facilities an the worst fanbase in all of sports - because prize recruits have a lot of choices - and I'm always surprised when anyone does commit. But on the third hand the roster as it stands has three NBA players and is potentially as good (at least on paper) as any roster since the elite eight team. 

I'd be delighted if Mullin were able to buck the trend of prize NYC recruits going elsewhere, a trend that goes back to Frank Mcguire. I don'r see that happening, and by that I mean building a perennial national championship contender relying solely on NYC prospects who resist the idea of playing college BB in NYC. My question was: who cares how the roster was constructed if the roster as constructed is successful? And why is the way the roster is constructed unsustainable, considering the state of college BB today? It's disingenuous to complain about he mom and pop aspect of the program and then to complain that the current regime is transforming the paradigm that made the mom and pop administration successful. No?

I actually totally agree with you. I coach at the high school level at a long island Catholic school and we play some city teams in our non league schedule like Molloy and I always ask their coaches why not St. John's for their top talent which was cole anthony, moses brown, and khalid moore, and their coach said that St. John's has really crappy facilities, and that most of these kids want to go away to school. But i also agree, you are right if the transfer game keeps working why not continue to do it with this state of college basketball nowadays.

SJUFAN

« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2018, 01:51:37 PM »

I actually totally agree with you. I coach at the high school level at a long island Catholic school and we play some city teams in our non league schedule like Molloy and I always ask their coaches why not St. John's for their top talent which was cole anthony, moses brown, and khalid moore, and their coach said that St. John's has really crappy facilities, and that most of these kids want to go away to school. But i also agree, you are right if the transfer game keeps working why not continue to do it with this state of college basketball nowadays.

I don’t care how they field a team, I’m just under the belief that they can’t sustain it relying on transfers alone. I could be wrong, the land scape of college basketball appears to be changing in that regard. Tafner isn’t even 20 years old and it’s crappy? MSG is crappy? We do need to improve but too much focus on what we don’t have and not what we do. We need salesman as recruiters, not HOF players.

Foad

« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2018, 03:12:50 PM »
I don’t care how they field a team, I’m just under the belief that they can’t sustain it relying on transfers alone. I could be wrong, the land scape of college basketball appears to be changing in that regard. Tafner isn’t even 20 years old and it’s crappy? MSG is crappy? We do need to improve but too much focus on what we don’t have and not what we do. We need salesman as recruiters, not HOF players.

"[The private basketball player's dorm at Kansas] has a half-court basketball facility, a media room, game room, barbershop, and much more."

"Back in 2012, the University of Kentucky built a specialized dorm for its basketball players as well. Kentucky’s special dorm includes a private chef, flat-screen televisions, and are specifically designed for seven-footers."

"A majority of Ohio State’s freshmen and sophomore football and basketball players, who have elected not to live off campus, live in the Worthington Building or the Residence on 10th ... The Residence on 10th, completed last year, is $37 million, 186,000-square foot building of lavishness. It could be converted into a Four Seasons with minimal renovations. The six-story building has six-person suites with three bedrooms, a living room and individual bathrooms."

And Louisville has hookers.

So yeah, Taffner doesn't quite measure up.