Ian Steere - PF - NC State - ST. JOHN’S

• 83 replies
Re: Ian Steere- (NC State, PF) 6'9/260
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2018, 01:42:14 AM »
Steere came on late and some outlets didn't catch much of him in the summer. Arguably he'd be 80-100 guy which for a big guy PF or C is generally top 15 at position.

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

SJUFAN

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2018, 01:58:16 AM »
Some of you act like we have better options. We need bigs, hope we can land him.

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2018, 11:28:45 AM »
LJ and Keita were top 100 out of HS, also Ely, the sit out pg . Hopefully Simon will return next year. We can use another big. I’m all for signing Steele.
You guys realize that these transfers are making their way to st johns because another staff is looking at them and saying they're not good enough to earn pt? Seede and Tariq could only get low single digit mins at South Carolina and Tennessee. Eli and Justin Simon couldn't beat out similarly ranked guards for mins at miss St and zona. I'm not saying these guys aren't good players but transfers come with the blemish of already having another staff evaluate them and say they are not good enough. 
I've always given staff credit for ponds as he's the only top 50 kid they've gotten out of hs. Heron is a unique situation as he wasn't transferring because of lack of playing time, so they deserve kudos for that. Same with lj coming out of juco but it's too early to say that will definitively be a good pick up.

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2018, 11:30:18 AM »
Steere came on late and some outlets didn't catch much of him in the summer. Arguably he'd be 80-100 guy which for a big guy PF or C is generally top 15 at position.

What does him coming on late have to do with his final ranking being 140? If anything id argue that his current playing abilities aren't as good as that 140 ranking since he couldn't impress enough to earn playing time at nc state.

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
What does him coming on late have to do with his final ranking being 140? If anything id argue that his current playing abilities aren't as good as that 140 ranking since he couldn't impress enough to earn playing time at nc state.
Kid played one game as a freshman and NC St. had bigs ahead of him. Yup kid should just be thrown on the scrap heap. Let him play Division 3 ball. YIKES

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2018, 07:38:37 PM »
Kid played one game as a freshman and NC St. had bigs ahead of him. Yup kid should just be thrown on the scrap heap. Let him play Division 3 ball. YIKES
Seriously dude?  My point is don't tell me he should've been 80-100 when the final 247 rankings say 140 and then he doesn't prove enough over the summer/ in practice for him to think it makes sense to stay at nc state. He would be a decent addition to our program but I'm not going to do cartwheels that we got steere and missed out on igiehon and Kofi. Steere is the type of player that should be on the roster instead of Roberts and Earlington.

I think probably any kid that gets even a 2 star rating ends up getting a d 1 scholarship but good joke, that d 3 thing was really funny.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:49:59 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »
Seriously dude?  My point is don't tell me he should've been 80-100 when the final 247 rankings say 140 and then he doesn't prove enough over the summer/ in practice for him to think it makes sense to stay at nc state.

I think probably any kid that gets even a 2 star rating ends up getting a d 1 scholarship but good joke, that d 3 thing was really funny.
Serious as a fing heart attack dude. I don't give a crap about his ranking. Watch his video kid looks good but maybe a head case who knows.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:51:23 PM by Celtics11 »

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2018, 07:58:00 PM »
Serious as a fing heart attack dude. I don't give a crap about his ranking. Watch his video kid looks good but maybe a head case who knows.
Yea you're opinion based off of a 2 and a half minute highlight video is probably a better assessment then Jerry Meyer and folks who make a living off of ranking these kids. I also was one of the first person on this thread to mention I loved watching his tape.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 08:02:46 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2018, 08:04:07 PM »
Yea you're opinion based off of a 2 and a half minute highlight video is probably a better assessment then Jerry Meyer and folks who make a living off of ranking these kids. I also was one of the first person on this thread to mention I loved watching his tape.
so we agree and dopes like meyer make a living at ranking players because dopes like me pay for the service.

Mike

« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2018, 11:25:07 PM »
I was excited watching Steere's highlight tape but lets not get it twisted, he's still a 3 star kid ranked in the 140's.  Getting him and maybe Cam Mack on board isn't going to make this a good recruiting class.  If you're saying we need to get realistic and accept that we can't get 5 star players then that's a severe indictment on the coaching staff.  We hired a guy with no coaching experience so we knew he would be awful at x's and o's but he was expected to be able to attract top talent.  So far he has not been able to do that.  If it's "unrealistic" for us to expect this staff to ever land top 30 kids then I don't think this experiment should continue.

I said “at this point”, win some games and make the tournament will help a lot. Who wants to commit to us when we are in the cellar every year?? It’s time for the staff to show us what they got.

« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2018, 12:28:13 AM »

Good question. Let me break it down for you. There are usually 4-5 weekends where scouts have the ability to evaluate a large number of kids in the spring and summer. Lets just say ESPN comes to the first one and 247 comes to the second. They might come again in 4th or 5th but they might not OR they are watching someone else.

So sometimes rankings are a bit skewed based on what they evaluated in the 1 or 2 times they saw the player.

If a player has a great July sometimes they'll be more hesitant to have that player make a large jump in the rankings because they don't want it to be fools gold. This happened to guys even like Donovan Mitchell who missed spring and had a monster July and guys wouldn't put him in top 20.

« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2018, 12:34:05 AM »
You guys realize that these transfers are making their way to st johns because another staff is looking at them and saying they're not good enough to earn pt? Seede and Tariq could only get low single digit mins at South Carolina and Tennessee. Eli and Justin Simon couldn't beat out similarly ranked guards for mins at miss St and zona. I'm not saying these guys aren't good players but transfers come with the blemish of already having another staff evaluate them and say they are not good enough. 
I've always given staff credit for ponds as he's the only top 50 kid they've gotten out of hs. Heron is a unique situation as he wasn't transferring because of lack of playing time, so they deserve kudos for that. Same with lj coming out of juco but it's too early to say that will definitively be a good pick up.

Not getting minutes does not translate into not being good enough. Nor does transferring mean you're not good enough.

Sometimes coaching staffs change, log jam at position, injuries, and bad culture/experience.

Justin Simon played with Alonzo Trier and Rawle Aikens not exactly known for being great teammates. How was going to practice everyday? Probably not so fun. I don't know every guy's situation but glad they're here.

You ever leave a company to take a different job somewhere else? It's no different.

paultzman

« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
Sense Steere gets done rather quickly. Perhaps a duo with Mack?

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »
How is Steere going to work with the scholarship situation? Aren’t we full up?

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2018, 03:54:08 PM »
Justin Simon played with Alonzo Trier and Rawle Aikens not exactly known for being great teammates. How was going to practice everyday? Probably not so fun.
Simon and Alkins never played together.

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2018, 10:02:52 PM »
Sense Steere gets done rather quickly. Perhaps a duo with Mack?

That’s exciting.  Let’s lock these two up

« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2018, 11:46:37 PM »
Simon and Alkins never played together.

I believe Rawle was recruited the year after. They didn't recruit Rawle to sit him.

« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
Have a good feeling Steere will be staying in Queens. Will be a tremendous asset down low.

« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2018, 07:55:59 PM »
Have a good feeling Steere will be staying in Queens. Will be a tremendous asset down low.

This would be a good get.

QuanMan

« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
Great great news. Sorely needed. After the Team Rio Summer/Fall debacle, and missing out on each of our Class of 19' targets, entering the Winter with Mack and Steere committed would be quite the turnaround.

Do we expect him to apply for first semester eligibility? Those 4 minutes in his first and only collegiate game shouldn't hold him back 1.5 years.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 08:00:52 PM by QuanMan »
Section 3
Section 116