Valdir Manuel - C - Harcum CC

• 41 replies

NYCoffey

« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 07:52:57 AM by jumpinjohnny »

pmg911

Re: Valdir Manuel
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 11:23:28 AM »
wasn't this kid a SHU recruit, then changed to St. Joe's and ended up in JUCO..?

Seems like red flags all around...

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 01:13:58 PM »
wasn't this kid a SHU recruit, then changed to St. Joe's and ended up in JUCO..?

Yes

Poison

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 01:35:04 PM »
If we’ve offered this kid you have to wonder if we will have a transfer or two?

wpc77

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »
Yes

Angolan kid who has been in the US for only 3 years.  Offered by Cuse, Illinois before picking the Hall and the seemingly bailing later in 2018 for St Joes and then leaving there for JC. I assume that his bouncing around was due to a failure to meet NCAA academic requirements and not something to do with his "handlers", but who knows.  Was the youngest member of the 2016 basketball without borders camp (which included our old friend Richard F, DeAndre Ayton, Thon Maker, and the Knicks' current point guard, among others) He's following Matt A on twitter, FWIW.

Marillac

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:20:08 PM »
Hard pass.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Academics not yet in order

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:10 PM »
Correct.  Willard didn't have room on his staff or couldn't get admin sign-off on hiring this kid's Uncle, third cousin or baby sitter growing up, so he left the Hall after much excitement on their board and has bounced around since.

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 12:37:13 PM »
Correct.  Willard didn't have room on his staff or couldn't get admin sign-off on hiring this kid's Uncle, third cousin or baby sitter growing up, so he left the Hall after much excitement on their board and has bounced around since.

The little dig at Willard is pretty funny...

I was definitely in the camp that he sold his soul to get the players he did but in reality, he did what he needed to and it paid off. He made 3 NCAA's, got himself 2 contract extensions and made himself millions of dollars. If the SJU coach did this, people would be calling him a genius.

This is a guy who was all set to leave SHU and take a 7 year contract to coach Holy Cross but got caught up on numbers and deal fell apart. Best miss of his life...

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 01:45:45 PM »
He did save his job. Having his buddy as the AD will help going forward.

Lavin chose not to do what he did. Likely cost him his job ultimately but thought he could recruit without engaging in that nonsense and we will see if the NCAA, Miller and Adidas stuff gets the Hall in trouble. My recall is that us fans in balance were content with not doing what Willard did so I’m not sure if we’d be calling Lavs a genius if he had.

I was definitely in the camp that he sold his soul to get the players he did but in reality, he did what he needed to and it paid off. He made 3 NCAA's, got himself 2 contract extensions and made himself millions of dollars. If the SJU coach did this, people would be calling him a genius.

This is a guy who was all set to leave SHU and take a 7 year contract to coach Holy Cross but got caught up on numbers and deal fell apart. Best miss of his life...

paultzman

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2018, 04:29:39 PM »
Per Zach B
JUCO forward Valdir Manuel coming to St. John's game Saturday for a visit, I'm told. #sjubb

Hmm

Foad

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 06:23:18 PM »

I doubt very much that SJ's fans would be calling anyone who "sold his soul to get the players he did" and having in nine years as HC having made the NCAA tournament three times and won zero NCAA tournament games a genius on the basis that he'd earned himself millions of dollars. It calls to mind Thomas More in A Man For All Seasons, castigating Sir Richard Rich for perjuring himself in exchange for a barony: "Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?" Wales fine. But for New Jersey?

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
Well done on the John Hurt/ Richard Rich reference!

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
I doubt very much that SJ's fans would be calling anyone who "sold his soul to get the players he did" and having in nine years as HC having made the NCAA tournament three times and won zero NCAA tournament games a genius on the basis that he'd earned himself millions of dollars. It calls to mind Thomas More in A Man For All Seasons, castigating Sir Richard Rich for perjuring himself in exchange for a barony: "Why Richard, it profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world. But for Wales?" Wales fine. But for New Jersey?

Merry Christmas

goredmen

Re: Valdir Manuel - C - Harcum CC - ST. JOHN'S (Verbal)
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 05:08:08 PM »

Johnny23

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 05:17:02 PM »
Big get literally. Hope he can be a true low post bull.

Foad

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 05:18:31 PM »
The Harcum coach's description of him makes it sound like he's a better, higher ceiling version of Josh Roberts

His coach - 325-85 lifetime - said "He is probably the most unique player I’ve ever coached ... He has tremendous upside potential, perhaps more than any player I’ve ever coached."

Don't recall anyone saying that about Roberts, ever. And Roberts looks to have tremendous upside.

goredmen

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »
His coach - 325-85 lifetime - said "He is probably the most unique player I’ve ever coached ... He has tremendous upside potential, perhaps more than any player I’ve ever coached."

Don't recall anyone saying that about Roberts, ever. And Roberts looks to have tremendous upside.

Well as far as him being big, raw, athletic and having upside, sounds a lot like Roberts. Would think Manuel is closer to a finished product with a higher ceiling.

Numbers are adding up to the point where something is going to have to give. Only a few options make sense at this point...