Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer

• 72 replies
Re: Derryck Thornton - PG - USC Grad Transfer
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2019, 09:41:03 PM »
How is this a surprise to you? We are back to Norm level recruiting. Four years from now Anderson will be fired because he can’t recruit.
Dude your shtick is getting old already.  You and foad were pretty pumped up when your boy mully recruited a hs defensive end in Earlington.

Anderson is envolved with plenty of quality 4 star 2020 recruits.  If he lands two or three every Johnny will be thrilled. This staff will have us back to winning 20 games a season in no time. Which will be a miracle after CM had the program trending in the wrong direction.   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 09:48:31 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 10:27:10 PM »
How is this a surprise to you? We are back to Norm level recruiting. Four years from now Anderson will be fired because he can’t recruit.

Dude I get it and Mullin did get unfairly treated and sju fans suck and I see the points you are trying to make but you are going way too over the top and it’s hurting you. Like goredmen has so obviously pointed out, if MA doesn’t land impact recruits capable of leading a BE team in classes moving forward then of course we will and should be concerned. Filling out a team in May and June with obvious needs and slim pickings isn’t enough for me to say it’s abundantly clear he won’t be able to get talent to come here.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 11:43:26 PM »
Dude your shtick is getting old already.  You and foad were pretty pumped up when your boy mully recruited a hs defensive end in Earlington.

Anderson is envolved with plenty of quality 4 star 2020 recruits.  If he lands two or three every Johnny will be thrilled. This staff will have us back to winning 20 games a season in no time. Which will be a miracle after CM had the program trending in the wrong direction.   

We won 20 games this past season. We were almost certainly going to win 20 again if Mullin stayed.

This has nothing to do with my preference for one coach or another. My one requirement for supporting a coach is showing the potential to land big time players. That’s all I ask.

Lavin did it. Mullin did it. Neither could coach well though.

Marillac

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 11:46:36 PM »
Dude I get it and Mullin did get unfairly treated and sju fans suck and I see the points you are trying to make but you are going way too over the top and it’s hurting you. Like goredmen has so obviously pointed out, if MA doesn’t land impact recruits capable of leading a BE team in classes moving forward then of course we will and should be concerned. Filling out a team in May and June with obvious needs and slim pickings isn’t enough for me to say it’s abundantly clear he won’t be able to get talent to come here.

Why does pointing out a flaw of Anderson mean I am upset about Mullin to everyone? There is no middle ground with St. John’s fans.

I was excited when Mullin got let go and Hurley was rumored to be his replacement. I don’t think Mullin was a good coach overall. He got big  players but he didn’t finish of rosters well.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »
I think Mullin really dropped the ball by not playing 8-9 man rotation, and not convincing dixon to stay. Roberts should have played 6-8 minutes a game in big East play and more so against the cupcakes. Greg Williams should have been playing a lot more. It's not that we didn't have depth last year, we just didn't play the guys we had. If we keep Dixon, him Keita Williams Trimble and Roberts is not a terrible bench. That's why we finished the season so poorly, because our starters were playing 35+ min a game and were gassed. Also I think people forget that Matty A left before Mullin resigned. Mack would have followed him most likely. Simon probably stays, but who knows. I wish he would have been more successful. I can't speak for anyone else but I hope every St. John's coach is successful, I'm tired of being a below average program compared to the rest of the conference. I think Anderson was a great hire considering the circumstances, but they should have brought in Pitino. We had the best possible coach available lobbying for the job, and we don't hire him. #SJUBB

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »

Why does pointing out a flaw of Anderson mean I am upset about Mullin to everyone? There is no middle ground with St. John’s fans.

I was excited when Mullin got let go and Hurley was rumored to be his replacement. I don’t think Mullin was a good coach overall. He got big  players but he didn’t finish of rosters well.

That post I quoted was middle ground?

Poison

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
I think Mullin really dropped the ball by not playing 8-9 man rotation, and not convincing dixon to stay. Roberts should have played 6-8 minutes a game in big East play and more so against the cupcakes. Greg Williams should have been playing a lot more. It's not that we didn't have depth last year, we just didn't play the guys we had. If we keep Dixon, him Keita Williams Trimble and Roberts is not a terrible bench. That's why we finished the season so poorly, because our starters were playing 35+ min a game and were gassed. Also I think people forget that Matty A left before Mullin resigned. Mack would have followed him most likely. Simon probably stays, but who knows. I wish he would have been more successful. I can't speak for anyone else but I hope every St. John's coach is successful, I'm tired of being a below average program compared to the rest of the conference. I think Anderson was a great hire considering the circumstances, but they should have brought in Pitino. We had the best possible coach available lobbying for the job, and we don't hire him. #SJUBB

We should have played Roberts 6-8 minutes a game but because the starters were so uninspired we needed them out there to clean up the mess they made.

Poison

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2019, 08:27:41 AM »
We won 20 games this past season. We were almost certainly going to win 20 again if Mullin stayed.

This has nothing to do with my preference for one coach or another. My one requirement for supporting a coach is showing the potential to land big time players. That’s all I ask.

Lavin did it. Mullin did it. Neither could coach well though.

Brian Mahoney also got “big time” players. It’s time the University and fans realized that winning the press conference isn’t actually winning anything.

Without a coach who is also a strategist, and we need that more than we need a recruiter.

cjfish

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2019, 10:08:43 AM »
Those of you who question MA's recruiting should try having a little patience.  The man just got the job after an absurd coaching search which definitely hurt SJUs rep and which further increased the debacle that is SJU hoops.  The school looks foolish, disorganized and pathetic.  We were lucky to get MA to come to a third rate campus in Jamaica.  I don't expect any recruits of note until the next recruiting cycle at the earliest.  One thing is obvious, he is a good coach who will improve our oncourt performance.  With two of our three best players back and additional experience for the rest he may have a good season next year which should help him score some able bodies.

Marillac

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2019, 10:37:52 AM »
That post I quoted was middle ground?

My view on Anderson is in the middle. My view on our insane fans is as low as it can be.

I think Bear Grylls is a great survivalist but not if he’s locked in an enclosure with a pride of lions.

Does that make more sense?

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2019, 11:24:14 AM »
If we would have signed a good big grad man transfer and not signed McGriff there would have been more likely shot at Thornton but Marillac is right. The recruiting momentum negatively impacts guys like this.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2019, 11:44:49 AM »
Brian Mahoney also got “big time” players. It’s time the University and fans realized that winning the press conference isn’t actually winning anything.

Without a coach who is also a strategist, and we need that more than we need a recruiter.

DeMeo won a national NJCAA championship and has coached his team to the final four in 2015, 16. 17, 18 and 2019.  Maybe he's the strategist.

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2019, 11:57:23 AM »
If we would have signed a good big grad man transfer and not signed McGriff there would have been more likely shot at Thornton but Marillac is right. The recruiting momentum negatively impacts guys like this.
So a 5th year grad transfer that started his career at Duke then was at USC is scarred off by a true freshman 3 star with no other point guards on the roster?

« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »
So a 5th year grad transfer that started his career at Duke then was at USC is scarred off by a true freshman 3 star with no other point guards on the roster?
Makes zero sense.  Whichever grad transfer pg that is brought in will receive the starting minutes and McGriff will come off the bench.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 12:27:34 PM by colelatshaw2010 »

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2019, 12:11:51 PM »
My view on Anderson is in the middle. My view on our insane fans is as low as it can be.

I think Bear Grylls is a great survivalist but not if he’s locked in an enclosure with a pride of lions.

Does that make more sense?

Personally, I prefer your sports analogies.

Tha Kid

« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2019, 12:23:58 PM »

C'mon Marillac...Norm level of recruiting?  CMA got hired even later than Mullin did.  He gets a pass for any recruiting this season, and the fact that he was able to keep Heron and LJ is the best recruiting he could have done for us this offseason.

Let's wait to judge his recruiting...if he recruits closer to Mullin/Lavin rather than Norm (which I would assume he would based on his career), and coaches significantly better than every single one of our other coaches, the net will be a huge positive.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2019, 02:17:04 PM »
C'mon Marillac...Norm level of recruiting?  CMA got hired even later than Mullin did.  He gets a pass for any recruiting this season, and the fact that he was able to keep Heron and LJ is the best recruiting he could have done for us this offseason.

Let's wait to judge his recruiting...if he recruits closer to Mullin/Lavin rather than Norm (which I would assume he would based on his career), and coaches significantly better than every single one of our other coaches, the net will be a huge positive.

Most coaches have a player or two in their pocket to bring with them wherever they wind up whether they were fired or took another job. The fact he didn't have any is somewhat of a fail.

The immediate transfer market was the largest ever and we didn't get anyone to pay immediate dividends.

It's fair to criticize.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Marillac

« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2019, 05:14:11 PM »

I’m not passing final judgment. I am simply expressing my concerns over the quality of kids we have been involved with and the inability to get even a decent grad transfer in a market that has an embrassment of riches.

Mullin’s staff was able to get Justin Simon and Marvin Clark when the team was awful—and Owens even earlier. Why are we dealing with the likes of Monmouth backups?

Anyone who isn’t concerned isn’t paying attention.

I’d m or a Durand Johnson quality player at PG. Is that too much to ask?

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
I’m not passing final judgment. I am simply expressing my concerns over the quality of kids we have been involved with and the inability to get even a decent grad transfer in a market that has an embrassment of riches.

Mullin’s staff was able to get Justin Simon and Marvin Clark when the team was awful—and Owens even earlier. Why are we dealing with the likes of Monmouth backups?

You mentioned players Mullin did get. How about the ones he didn't like needing a grad transfer big for 2 straight years and he couldn't even bring in a beanpole or a golem.

TONYD3

« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2019, 05:57:03 PM »

Not just trying to antagonize with this post. Marvin Clarke was a mistake. He wasn’t good enough to play short handed for a year.
I am not sure Simon was worth it it either. And I think he is really good. Dixon certainly wasn’t worth 2 years. I am assuming Eli Cain and charaher aren’t either.
The Monmouth kid probably isn’t great or even good. We need a PG. maybe he is Malik boothe good. Only 1 year commitment.