Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2015, 02:56:14 PM »
Stunt today is why I've stated St. John's has no shot. Just stringing along.

How dare you say this?  Those SJU fans with a hard on for NY kids will revolt.

As, a few of us have said for awhile....  The centric NYC stuff from some posters is overplayed, and, frankly, tired, IMO.  We're not gonna win on the level most would like to by having a team full of New Yorkers.  Of course, you wanna get the best of the best from the city (ie, Ponds and Alkins), but it's also imperative we recruit nationally and globally. 

Tom Konchalski even said the same.  The Newman guy who does the podcast with Zags also reiterated the same.  My motto is get good players, regardless where they reside.

The best teams assembled at St John's were dominated by locals

What does that has to do with the price of tea in China?  That stuff holds no weight today.  We're not gonna win on the level many fans would like by loading up on local players.  A few of us have said it for awhile, and Konchalski and Newman said it a week ago.

I like how this staff, like the one before them, ate doing it....  Recruiting nationally and globally.   

Holds no weight today? We've been getting our balls beat in with kids from Texas, Michigan, Philly etc. Most of these kids could care less about representing St. John's or NYC. The successful teams at SJU have had great local talent. Time to bring that back. Ponds is a great start

No!  It doesn't hold any weight. 

Your comment about us getting whipped with kids from out of state, and they couldn't care about representing St. John's doesnt even deserves a response, as it's just an asinine comment.  Complete fallacy.

So, I guess Konchalski is off in his assessment, too?  A guy who watches a ton of local hoop games.

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

Are you comparing yourself to Konchalski?

I never said "just go after local talent". I said the best teams we've had were full of local talent. Is that not true?

Like I said, Ponds is a great start, now let's gets some more and surround them with other talent.

Did I ever compare myself to Konchalski?  Learn to comprehend.  But, I also know what I've heard AND seen, per AAU ball.  I trust those people, but most importantly, I trust what I see.  Other folks also trust my judgement of talent.

I also said, those PAST best teams argument doesn't hold any weight now.  Meaning, it's irrelevant, and has no bearing on what's currently happening on the circuit.

Ponds is a very good start.  Now, let's fill out the roster with the best available player(s).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 02:58:51 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #421 on: October 12, 2015, 03:02:08 PM »

As, a few of us have said for awhile....  The centric NYC stuff from some posters is overplayed, and, frankly, tired, IMO.  We're not gonna win on the level most would like to by having a team full of New Yorkers.  Of course, you wanna get the best of the best from the city (ie, Ponds and Alkins), but it's also imperative we recruit nationally and globally. 

Tom Konchalski even said the same.  The Newman guy who does the podcast with Zags also reiterated the same.  My motto is get good players, regardless where they reside.

What does that has to do with the price of tea in China?  That stuff holds no weight today.  We're not gonna win on the level many fans would like by loading up on local players.  A few of us have said it for awhile, and Konchalski and Newman said it a week ago.

I like how this staff, like the one before them, ate doing it....  Recruiting nationally and globally.   

Holds no weight today? We've been getting our balls beat in with kids from Texas, Michigan, Philly etc. Most of these kids could care less about representing St. John's or NYC. The successful teams at SJU have had great local talent. Time to bring that back. Ponds is a great start

Your comment about us getting whipped with kids from out of state, and they couldn't care about representing St. John's doesnt even deserves a response, as it's just an asinine comment.  Complete fallacy.

So, I guess Konchalski is off in his assessment, too?  A guy who watches a ton of local hoop games.

Ponds is certainly a good start, but we're gonna have to bring in more than just local talent, in order to CONSISTENTLY compete on a national level.  Grab the best the city has to offer (ie, Ponds, Alkins types), and grab the kids on the national and globally.

I never said "just go after local talent". I said the best teams we've had were full of local talent. Is that not true?

Like I said, Ponds is a great start, now let's gets some more and surround them with other talent.

Did I ever compare myself to Konchalski?  Learn to comprehend.  But, I also know what I've heard AND seen, per AAU ball.  I trust those people, but most importantly, I trust what I see.  Other folks also trust my judgement of talent.

I also said, those PAST best teams argument doesn't hold any weight now.  Meaning, it's irrelevant, and has no bearing on what's currently happening on the circuit.

Ponds is a very good start.  Now, let's fill out the roster with the best available player(s).

It's relevant because we haven't done sht since we were able to keep the top local talent

« Reply #422 on: October 12, 2015, 03:19:31 PM »

It's relevant because we haven't done sht since we were able to keep the top local talent

It's relevant to you, but that's a fallacy that can be diced up in many, different ways.  I don't have time to do so.

« Reply #423 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:58 PM »

It's relevant to you, but that's a fallacy that can be diced up in many, different ways.  I don't have time to do so.

Thanks Tom

ras

« Reply #424 on: October 12, 2015, 04:00:42 PM »
 Its nice to have local talent. But, I'm not picky .Ill take a 5 star recruit from Cal., providing hes not a head case. Get the best talent you can regardless. I think ,however,  Mullin wants the local talent to find playing for SJU appealing. And he will be looking to develop relationships locally as pipelines.

wpc77

« Reply #425 on: October 12, 2015, 04:15:57 PM »
There are 2 programs that we should emulate.  Nova, because they are alone as the top tier in our league right now, and Zaga. Each draws on the local areas (PA/MD and pacific northwest, respectively) for core players.  Zaga is heavy on the international circuit,  which Mullin is obviously making a priority.  And each can pull 1 or 2 top 100 national recruits or transfers each season.

But sju can even be even better that either.  BECAUSE of our nyc location - the access to great players, and the media exposure.  That will take 4-5 years if it happens, but hey, that's what we want so...

« Reply #426 on: October 12, 2015, 05:25:28 PM »
Agreed - Nova and Gonzaga are two programs to emulate. Private schools that have been consistently good in the last decade. Securing Local talent will generate much Buzz and seems the route Mullin & Co. are going vs the prior regime. No one is right or wrong as long as you secure talent consistently, something Lavs tailed off with in the last 2 years.

Back on topic, we have a great shot with Rawle and are in the mix with the big boys. Mullin and Slice are right there and this is not an opinion. As you know with recruiting on top today and second tomorrow.

« Reply #427 on: October 12, 2015, 05:30:57 PM »
Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the conversation but do people actually believe there is any difference from a talent standpoint from a top 10 kid from New York and a top ten kid from New Mexico.  Like I get the pipeline effect and making your claim to new York schools but people can't actually believe that all things being equal a new York kid has to be better than a kid of the same talent level from elsewhere. I mean that doesn't even make sense.

All things being equal than of course it does make sense. It brings fans, it builds local relationships, it gives sju an identity.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #428 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:37 PM »
Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the conversation but do people actually believe there is any difference from a talent standpoint from a top 10 kid from New York and a top ten kid from New Mexico.  Like I get the pipeline effect and making your claim to new York schools but people can't actually believe that all things being equal a new York kid has to be better than a kid of the same talent level from elsewhere. I mean that doesn't even make sense.

All things being equal than of course it does make sense. It brings fans, it builds local relationships, it gives sju an identity.

Right and as I clearly stated there is a point to that but just because a kid is from New York doesn't make him magically more talented than an equal from somewhere else.  I want to win and don't care if our starting five is from mars.  It ain't 1985 anymore, the world is smaller and a lot of New York kids want to leave because New York isn't the only thing they've ever known.  Likewise we have cool pitch to out of towers who have already visited New York on the Aau circuit. Add in that we have to be honest and realize that some top New York kids have, in recent years, differentiated themselves in a couple ways, gigantic egos, maniac handlers, circus recruitments. Take the kids who want to be here, recruit nationally and world wide and it's ludicrous to me to say "we have to have x amount of home grown on the squad" just get the players and forget any type of bias.

« Reply #429 on: October 12, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
I agree it's important to keep local talent, but realistically you are not going to get all the big fish to stay home and the talent year in and year out in this area has not been all that deep. You shouldn't waste time on a MAAC level kid simply because he's from NY, while you could be recruiting a top 100 kid from Texas.

Yes, getting kids to stay home is great for the program, but I think we could get into trouble if we rely on our back yard to produce enough talent to win year in year out in the Big East. Love seeing us recruit internationally and nationwide.

« Reply #430 on: October 12, 2015, 06:22:41 PM »

Right and as I clearly stated there is a point to that but just because a kid is from New York doesn't make him magically more talented than an equal from somewhere else. 

"All things being equal"

« Reply #431 on: October 12, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »
@Iam_RawleAlkins: Missing NY 🏦🗽

Maybe his time away from NY will be a good thing for us.
Or maybe he is just enjoying playing with us us all.  Remember the Albany tweet?  I think he likes attention.  Maybe he came to SJU the day before he left for Carolina just so the NY area would be making a big deal over him all season.  Or maybe he is very sincere about everything he is saying.
Or maybe he misses NY because he misses family, friends, home cooking, good pizza. Have you ever had pizza in NC? Everything doesn't have to relate to SJU or their fan base.
I hope you are right Celtics.  But we'll see.  It's normal to be homesick, but this seems a little late.  He's been away for over a month now, and he's just getting homesick now?  It didn't seem to stop him (them) from playing games on his phone or computer.  I think he might like to play games with his recruitment because he likes the feeling of being recruited.  This seemed to be the case over the summer too, and we even commented about it quite a bit on JJ.  This latest stunt didn't do anything to change my hunch about him.  I think he likes the attention. 

« Reply #432 on: October 12, 2015, 09:45:07 PM »

True, and also had key non-NY performers (Bootsy and Lavor; Wennington and Rowan, etc.).  A good balance is necessary, would like at least half the team to be from NY/NJ/CT ideally but in the end as long as they are the right guys thats all that matters.
Wennington lived with his mother in Wheatley Heights for two years before he even started college, and for all four years at SJU.  So for all practical intents and purposes, he was a local player.

« Reply #433 on: October 12, 2015, 10:01:28 PM »

I thought Lavin was a good recruiter and had good players.  You can win with players like DLo, Dom, Jak and Sanchez, but you have to coach them better then Lav did.  And develop them better then did Lav.  There are a lot of coaches out there that could have had ranked  teams with those players.  So the reason he didn't win bigger was not that the players weren't from NY, he just couldn't coach them well enough.

« Reply #434 on: October 12, 2015, 10:10:49 PM »
@Iam_RawleAlkins: Missing NY 🏦🗽

Maybe his time away from NY will be a good thing for us.
Or maybe he is just enjoying playing with us us all.  Remember the Albany tweet?  I think he likes attention.  Maybe he came to SJU the day before he left for Carolina just so the NY area would be making a big deal over him all season.  Or maybe he is very sincere about everything he is saying.
Or maybe he misses NY because he misses family, friends, home cooking, good pizza. Have you ever had pizza in NC? Everything doesn't have to relate to SJU or their fan base.
I hope you are right Celtics.  But we'll see.  It's normal to be homesick, but this seems a little late.  He's been away for over a month now, and he's just getting homesick now?  It didn't seem to stop him (them) from playing games on his phone or computer.

A HS senior posts a tweet saying he misses home and this is what happens.

paultzman

« Reply #435 on: October 13, 2015, 01:05:33 PM »
From Zags;

"Mullin and Rohrssen will be at Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Academy on Wednesday to see the Brooklyn guard, Word of God coach Brian Clifton said.

Mullin will apparently leave after Big East Media Day, which takes place in the morning at Madison Square Garden." Seeing Thon Maker as well this week.

http://zagsblog.com
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 01:08:59 PM by paultzman »

Moose

« Reply #436 on: October 13, 2015, 01:09:59 PM »
From Zags;

"Mullin and Rohrssen will be at Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Academy on Wednesday to see the Brooklyn guard, Word of God coach Brian Clifton said.

Mullin will apparently leave after Big East Media Day, which takes place in the morning at Madison Square Garden." Seeing Thon Maker as well this week.

http://zagsblog.com

I think Lavin left BE Media Day last year also.  Wasn't he wearing a sweatsuit while the other coaches were in suits :)
Remember who broke the Slice news

Marillac

« Reply #437 on: October 13, 2015, 01:10:48 PM »
I think we've got a good shot with Rawle.  It will be a marathon and a lot of the blue bloods will fill their scholarships before he decides.  Hopefully the staff can add another quality big and win a few games to entice him.  This could play out like the Artest and Cook recruitments before all is said and done.

The good news is we are in a position were we don't need him.  It would be like the Mets adding Greinke next year...sure it would be amazing and they'd be a better team, but they would be very good without him.

pmg911

« Reply #438 on: October 13, 2015, 01:22:45 PM »

So historically, when St. John's has been truly competitive on the national level (1 Final Four and a couple of Elite 8's in past 30 years) , the teams have been driven by players who played high school hoops locally but you think to consistently compete nationally we need more then that..? History tells us that you are not right.

Also and I am honestly asking because I want to hear what your thoughts are...   define what it means for St. John's to consistently compete nationally..?

« Reply #439 on: October 13, 2015, 01:59:35 PM »

Winning (regardless of hometown) brings fans and builds excitement. Most college basketball fans don't follow high school basketball so it's not like they've tracked these NY kids through their high school career. The idea that we need a local team is such an 80's mentality. With the boom of the internet and social media, these kids feel like rockstars before they even hit campus. These aren't the days of train token recruiting. Put together the best team possible regardless of location and you'll be fine. Besides, it's extremely rare you ever hear a kid say they want to stay home and represent the city anymore. PLUS as has been noted many times, NYC talent has become watered down.